Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Not a full shot as some stuff is clipped off on the side, but I'm kinda happy with my setup. Even through there two monitors next to my main one, they are not connected to the PC, as I used some old Chromecasts to function as streaming devices. Man it was a pain to capture the PVM and old CRT monitor playing demos on them. The desktop is behind the monitor, it just completely covered by the monitor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
There's still a little more room up there for Amiibo you'd better get to it.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

I decided it was time to tidy up my office to be slightly more organised

From

To

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

You are a stupid frog

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

You are a stupid frog

so i've been told

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I figure this would be a good thread to ask. I want to look into both a decent sized tv/monitor to mount to my wall, plus a good mount for it. Does anyone have good suggestions on either? I've never looked into anything but a typical desk monitor. I want to be able to hook it up to both my PC and my Switch so I can watch twitch and youtube and poo poo and play danky kang

IuniusBrutus
Jul 24, 2010

My neck is hurting just looking at those pictures.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Macaluso posted:

I figure this would be a good thread to ask. I want to look into both a decent sized tv/monitor to mount to my wall, plus a good mount for it. Does anyone have good suggestions on either? I've never looked into anything but a typical desk monitor. I want to be able to hook it up to both my PC and my Switch so I can watch twitch and youtube and poo poo and play danky kang
Make sure you check the back of the TV in photos, because there's a really dumb trend of putting the HDMI ports pointing backwards in stead of sideways which may cause some issues for you depending on your specific setup. I believe LG do this.

Koskun
Apr 20, 2004
I worship the ground NinjaPablo walks on

Macaluso posted:

As to mounts, it really all depends on what you might want. If you want articulation, the price goes up, as most mounts made for monitors aren't rated for TV's. Figure $50-75 minimum for an articulated one. If you simply want it mounted to the wall, perhaps with a bit of angle adjustment, I picked up mine from Menards for like 11 bucks. It supports up to a 60", and probably would take larger than that as the newer TV's are lighter.

The one I have is not quite a flush mount, but pretty close. I think it gives at most 2" of clearance between the wall and the back of the TV. I offset that as I screwed a 2x6 to the wall first using some pretty beefy deck screws, then attached the mounting plate for the wall mount to that. It upped it to a good 5 or so inches of space behind the TV.

Even then, as ufarn mentioned, getting the cables to the TV. In my experience most TV's have one or two HDMI and even component hookups on the side, but you can easily find TV's with all/majority of the connections on the back. That said, you can readily find L adapters for everything from coax to HDMI, that would make attaching the cables easier for mounts that are flush/close to flush mount, and even in someplace like Wal-Mart they are 5-7 bucks.

If you are wanting to watch dual inputs at the same time, that is possible, but you'd have to find a monitor or TV that supports it. Otherwise you can look into a multi-monitor setup, with a supporting dual-screen mount.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

ufarn posted:

Make sure you check the back of the TV in photos, because there's a really dumb trend of putting the HDMI ports pointing backwards in stead of sideways which may cause some issues for you depending on your specific setup. I believe LG do this.

You can remedy this by buying an angled/“low profile” HDMI cable or an adapter for less than a buck online. They also make some that have swiveling ends in case you aren’t sure of how everything will fit yet.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I got the Steelcase Series 1 on a bit of an impulse, thinking it had to be an improvement over the 200$/300$ generic office chair I previously had...and I'm not sure I'm too happy with it.

The seat pan adjustment sounded great since I'm on the shorter side and a lot of chairs are fairly deep so it can be hard to get the right leg clearance, although it doesn't lock in super tight and can wobble a bit, I don't think this has been a problem in pratice, but it just seemed odd. The arm rests also go pretty low and are really adjustable which is nice, and was a pretty big limitation of my old chair, but the feel like they're slanted downward slightly? Unfortunately the back of the chair just kind of feels all wrong? It's difficult to describe what exactly bugs me about it - maybe it's too stiff? Should a chair like this have a "break in" period? I've had it for about two weeks now. The lumbar support feature feels fiddly and I can't find a spot where it feels consistently comfortable - you can apparently just set it to it's lowest point to "disengage" it, but I've found that occasionally uncomfortable too.

It's a bit frustrating because there's little to no reviews of this chair still so I can't really find if anyone else has had similar experiences.

e: fml I apparently can't even return it even if end up wanting to.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 9, 2018

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Sometimes I write music with this computer and bleep-bloop gear,

but usually I just hang out at my other desk.

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
HOLY poo poo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!............

..........that's a fuckin' rad lava lamp!

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Mister Speaker posted:

frankly out of all this gear i am most impressed by the SM58

CubanMissile
Apr 22, 2003

Of Hulks and Spider-Men
Music gear scares me and I have no idea what people do with row after row of nondescript buttons.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

CubanMissile posted:

Music gear scares me and I have no idea what people do with row after row of nondescript buttons.
Nothing, usually.

Photex
Apr 6, 2009

Nothing, we just end up using Ableton and drawing notes in the piano roll instead

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

Cobalt Viper posted:

Nothing, usually.

This is true. :( I haven't written any music in longer than I'd like to admit, and even then the last few tracks I penned were garbage. Working to change that this year, but as you can see I'm a gearhound at heart. Lights Per Dollar.

Photex posted:

Nothing, we just end up using Ableton and drawing notes in the piano roll instead

Also true. The Push helps a lot with melody construction but gently caress you if you want to throw in any accidentals. I mostly program drums (the first 48 tracks in that template set pictured are my drum channels), though, so I'm right fast at constructing rhythms with the piano roll.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

No cable management, no flow, just chaotic work from home bliss.

SeaGoatSupreme
Dec 26, 2009
Ask me about fixed-gear bikes (aka "fixies")
The fact that those appear to be four different monitors of slightly different sizes and heights is triggering the gently caress out of me.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

SeaGoatSupreme posted:

The fact that those appear to be four different monitors of slightly different sizes and heights is triggering the gently caress out of me.

When one has 3 daughters and a crazy Latina wife one makes do. They are in fact 4 different monitors.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Lol crazy latinas

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That is exactly what my evegoon headcannon dictates so ty for the confirmation

For content, I got an upgrade at work

I’m still working out the whole “cable management” part :v:

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 20, 2018

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

Cable management is for people with too much time on their hands.

:justpost:

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

kloa posted:

If it functions why mess with it!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

kloa posted:

It doesn’t take but like 15 minutes and some Velcro ties. This excuse is like saying vacuuming your floor is just for people who have too much time.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

quote:

MANCAVE

JackDRipper posted:

When one has a crazy Latina wife

you seem lovely

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

benisntfunny posted:

It doesn’t take but like 15 minutes and some Velcro ties. This excuse is like saying vacuuming your floor is just for people who have too much time.

You can’t vacuum the floor if you can’t see it under a raft of Mountain Dew cans and Little Debbie wrappers.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rickiep00h posted:

You can’t vacuum the floor if you can’t see it under a raft of Mountain Dew cans and Little Debbie wrappers.

Please tell me what furniture you are hiding under in my office

A TURGID FATSO
Jan 27, 2004

Here's to ya, JACKASS

JackDRipper posted:

No cable management, no flow, just chaotic work from home bliss.

I'm glad to see that Dave Ramsey book serve another purpose other than being an alternative to toilet paper.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Otoh Dave Ramsey’s method helped me pay off $100k in debt and I just tune out his political views so ymmv

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

A TURGID FATSO posted:

I'm glad to see that Dave Ramsey book serve another purpose other than being an alternative to toilet paper.

My brother in law bought me that book. I declared bankruptcy 4 months later, that is the best use I've found for that book. I never considered toilet paper will give it a shot.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I need something L-shaped to separate my gaming PC monitors from my work PC/laptop. Is that two IKEA tables pushed together? How stable is it?

I want a couple of those desktop organizers, too. I'm tall and I hate looking down at my screens, and I always end up with various knick-knacks just sitting on my desk, begging to be stashed in drawers.

Okay good, I'm not the only one that immediately saw "MAN CAVE" in giant letters and winced.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Sorry about the potato camera quality but I only have a 35 for the fuji.

Cable management is for nerds

Sure is bright out today.

the macbook isn't driving the displays :ssh:

In case you're interested in the art, it's an original 1753 print of Hogarth's second Analysis of Beauty plate.

fraggsta
Feb 2, 2003

mmmm, black straight hair.

Is that desktop wallpaper a Hieronymus Bosch painting? :aaa:

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

It’s The Temptation of Saint Anthony by Joos van Craesbeeck. Bosch is my favorite artist though, and confusingly, both he and one of his acolytes also painted works by that name.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

DizzyBum posted:

I need something L-shaped to separate my gaming PC monitors from my work PC/laptop. Is that two IKEA tables pushed together? How stable is it?

I want a couple of those desktop organizers, too. I'm tall and I hate looking down at my screens, and I always end up with various knick-knacks just sitting on my desk, begging to be stashed in drawers.

Okay good, I'm not the only one that immediately saw "MAN CAVE" in giant letters and winced.

The desk is an L shaped one from Super Amart (cheap furniture store in Australia). Very stable and does the job well.

The organisers are from Ikea and were for the exact reason of me needing to very the million things on my desk organised and away. Easy to put together and a perfect fit. I think they had other drawer configurations, too.

a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Mister Speaker posted:

Why two macs in the live rig?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Ocrassus posted:

Why two macs in the live rig?

One to run the playlist and one to browse SA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

iajanus posted:

The desk is an L shaped one from Super Amart (cheap furniture store in Australia). Very stable and does the job well.

The organisers are from Ikea and were for the exact reason of me needing to very the million things on my desk organised and away. Easy to put together and a perfect fit. I think they had other drawer configurations, too.

Oh, Australia. :( I'm in the US so that won't work for me! But I'll start browsing local stores and see if I can't find something that would work. I just need simple, sturdy and L-shaped.

I *thought* those organizers looked like something I saw at Ikea. I might pick up a pair on my next visit.