Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

Klauser posted:

I got the rye gin a while ago and don't remember anything amazing about it.

I never got another bottle again if that helps.

I haven't done much with it yet, but so far I like the reposado rye gin. They say it has more juniper than the other St. George gins, but I didn't really pick up on that, maybe because it's competing with the flavors imparted by rye and barrel-aging.

I also ended up grabbing a bottle of that smoked tequila I was asking about in my last post. I haven't made any drinks with it yet, just tasted it neat alongside Del Maguey Vida mezcal for comparison. The two spirits are definitely distinct; the tequila is smoked with mesquite, and the flavor is indeed more of wood smoke than the earthy smokiness of the mezcal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Halloween Jack posted:

I haven't bought any in a long time, but I got a bottle of the 7.5 year Laird's and it was lousy; tasted like it was blended with vodka and I swear it said so on the label when I checked. The Straight Applejack and BIB and great, but I don't know what was going on there.

In a sense there's something nostalgic and pleasing about disagreeing with someone on the internet about apple brandy for 6 years. Glad you enjoyed the BIB though, it's truly remarkable stuff.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I always thought I disliked margaritas but tonight I made the Food Wishes recipe and they are the bomb diggity.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

wormil posted:

I always thought I disliked margaritas but tonight I made the Food Wishes recipe and they are the bomb diggity.

This one?

https://foodwishes.blogspot.com/2018/05/the-perfect-margarita-according-to-me.html?m=1 posted:

2 ounces white tequila
1.5 ounces triple sec
1 ounce fresh squeezed lime juice
1 thin slice of lime
- Some like to add a dash agave nectar for a little extra sweetness, but I do not.
It's heavier on triple sec than usual but otherwise pretty standard. Maybe it was an ingredient quality issue before (sour mix instead fresh citrus, bottom-shelf triple sec, etc.)?

Edit: or maybe the ones before were Tommy's margaritas? No triple sec, more agave syrup.

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 04:16 on May 13, 2018

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, no way would you need more sugar on top of that much triple sec. I do like triple sec, though, and can't get behind margaritas without it. I'm more inclined to go in the other direction and play around with Gran Marnier or Tuaca.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH

Kenning posted:

In a sense there's something nostalgic and pleasing about disagreeing with someone on the internet about apple brandy for 6 years. Glad you enjoyed the BIB though, it's truly remarkable stuff.

I got a bottle of 7.5 for a cookout in semi-rural pa for my birthday a few weeks ago, stuff is waaaaaay too smooth. Being a NYC goon, I need I make the trip to both Sayerville and North Garden.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Turns out when I'm out on paternity leave, I can do things like make cocktails that involve cold brew during the day.

1.5 templton rye
.75 campari
.75 homemade cold brew concentrate

stirred with ice and strained

Copied from somewhere earlier in the thread, but goddamn it's a smooth rear end drink.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I’ve been looking for something to do with leftover cold brew. I’ve landed on an orange zest oleo saccharum cold brew syrup.

I take zest of one orange, chopped, and let it macerate in 8oz sugar for at least an hour. Usually for a couple days. Add 8oz cold brew and agitate over time until it dissolves. Strain out the zest and enjoy. You can eat the zest, it’s basically candied. A small amount, .25-.5oz, balanced with another ingredient, would work great in that cocktail. It also does fun things with citrus. Try it in a tiki style cocktail.

My use for it is as follows
Couple dashes locally made Aztec chocolate bitters
.25 oz orange-cold brew syrup
.25 oz Campari
.25 oz ancho Reyes liqueur
1.5 oz carnitas spiced duck fat washed Vida Mezcal (there’s a duck carnitas salad on our menu right now so I’m using that fat)
Stir, orange twist
I’m still nailing down the mezcal infusion. Right now it does not carry much of the carnitas flavor or the duck flavor, but it definitely has a noticeable and pleasing richness and body to it.

It is on the smaller side as far as recipes go, but the ingredients are expensive and it’s a decadent cocktail so less is more.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, no way would you need more sugar on top of that much triple sec. I do like triple sec, though, and can't get behind margaritas without it. I'm more inclined to go in the other direction and play around with Gran Marnier or Tuaca.

I'm a fan of Agavero myself.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

silvergoose posted:

Turns out when I'm out on paternity leave, I can do things like make cocktails that involve cold brew during the day.

1.5 templton rye
.75 campari
.75 homemade cold brew concentrate

stirred with ice and strained

Copied from somewhere earlier in the thread, but goddamn it's a smooth rear end drink.

Sweet. Gonna make that myself this weekend.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
I was the best man at a wedding and now I have a couple bottles of mediocre dryish oaked chardonnay I'd rather not drink straight. Any cocktail recommendations? If it was a mediocre red I'd make New York Sours and be done with it.

I tried using it and Suze to sub-bastardize Cocchi/Lillet in a corpse reviver, but that didn't work out.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
Sounds like a job for sangria, my man.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Yup. Sangria. Add fruit to a jug. Pour wine in. My secret is adding coconut water but you do you

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006
Never actually made sangria. Any vetted recipes to start from?

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

slut chan posted:

Never actually made sangria. Any vetted recipes to start from?

My go to depends on the type of wine.

White? Get a bag of tropical frozen fruit (I like mango, pineapple, papaya or peaches). Slice a couple fresh strawberries, and a blood orange (Won't add much but it looks neat in the jug). Pour white wine over. let infuse overnight. Add 1 can coconut water before serving, stir well. Boom.

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
gently caress, that sounds amazing.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Add liquor to your sangria my dudes

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Add Cointreau to your sangria and amaretto to your mulled wine. Fam for all seasons

In other news, it's Jungle Bird season.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Never done it with Liquor, might as well add some to the batch I'm making this weekend. I got some blood ornage cointreau.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Halloween Jack posted:

Add Cointreau to your sangria and amaretto to your mulled wine. Fam for all seasons

In other news, it's Jungle Bird season.

Wow, serendipitous. I was just planning to try making a Jungle Bird for the first time. What's the best ratio?

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
My Jungle Bird is 1.5 rum (blackstrap is traditional for some reason but I just go with an aged Jamaican or similar), 1 pineapple, 3/4 Campari, 1/2 each lime and simple. Gotta be on a big rock, gotta have an orange twist. Pineapple leaf optional but recommended.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mine is the same, but with 1.5oz. pineapple juice and sometimes a hair more on the Campari.

A lot of recipes prefer .75oz. lime juice, but I disagree. I also like to spear a chunk of pineapple and a brandied cherry with a drink umbrella, but that's purely an affectation

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
I'll have to play around with my ratios a bit based on the above and dial the pineapple back some.

I've been doing 2 oz rum (1.5 smith & cross, 0.5 blackstrap rum), 2 oz pineapple, 1 oz campari, 0.75-1 oz lime (I'm usually lazy and just squeeze one large lime into the shaker), and a dash of angostura, in a Moscow mule glass over a large ice cube. It's a fun drink to play around with. I was trying to do a version with Averna mixed in, but never quite got it down before I ran out of the Averna (which I love to drink straight).

Laocius
Jul 6, 2013

If you're making a gimlet, is it better to use sweetened like juice or fresh lime juice and simple syrup?

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Laocius posted:

If you're making a gimlet, is it better to use sweetened like juice or fresh lime juice and simple syrup?

You’re talking about a gimlet with Rose’s vs. a fresh juice gimlet? They’re different drinks, pretty much. Make them both and see which you prefer.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Laocius posted:

A lot of people will say it isn't a Gimlet without Rose's and they might not be wrong, but you can probably make your own lime cordial at home and do even better. The difference between lime cordial and using "fresh lime juice and simple syrup" is that a lime cordial incorporates the oils from the lime peel into the recipe, not just the juice. I've never actually made one but I bet someone in here has a recipe they trust!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

A traditional gimlet uses roses lime. A "Japanese" gimlet uses fresh lime.

Klauser
Feb 24, 2006
You got a dick with that problem!?!

Fart Car '97 posted:

A traditional gimlet uses roses lime. A "Japanese" gimlet uses fresh lime.

We had this argument in this thread like 4 years ago and I'm pretty sure this is where we landed.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Is it pronounced gimlet or jimlet

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
him-LAY

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Has anyone tried the Martini & Rossi Riserva Especiale vermouths? Are they worth a ~50% premium over Dolin?

Edit: I'm sure they have a use if they're any good, but I mean in the context of, like, a Fitty-Fitty Martini.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Toast Museum posted:

Has anyone tried the Martini & Rossi Riserva Especiale vermouths? Are they worth a ~50% premium over Dolin?

Edit: I'm sure they have a use if they're any good, but I mean in the context of, like, a Fitty-Fitty Martini.

Vermouth is such a personal thing I would just buy it and try it.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Klauser posted:

We had this argument in this thread like 4 years ago and I'm pretty sure this is where we landed.

Hell, it was 2012 when I quoted myself having a back-and-forth with SubG on the matter from a chat thread that at the time was 2 or 3 years deep in the archives. This is all settled law, and a lime-based gin sour is a Gimlet, and the insistence on Rose's as being a necessary component for the nomenclature is ahistorical.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

ColHannibal posted:

Vermouth is such a personal thing I would just buy it and try it.

That's fair. Hopefully somebody here carries it in 375mL bottles. I sometimes go weeks between actually making myself a drink, so buying/making perishable ingredients always feels a bit wasteful.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
Sorry for the double-post, but another question just occurred to me. Has anyone got a list of spirits that David Wondrich was involved in making? I enjoy Smith & Cross and Ransom Old Tom, both of which he consulted for, so I'd like to check out more of his work.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I'm perfectly amenable to making a gimlet with lime syrup instead of fresh, but I'd much rather make my own than use Rose's.

When The Long Goodbye was published, Rose's wasn't made with high fructose corn syrup.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I mostly drink whiskey and am out of touch with other liquor brands. Going to do Margaritas again this weekend. In the past I used to buy 1800 but my buddy didn't want that so we got Cabo Wabo which I do like but if I can save a few bucks that would good. So basically what are some good tequilas in that price range. Or maybe 1800 is the best bargain tequila? I saw that Jose Cuervo has some agave. Lots of other brands too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
For value, I don't think anything beats Lunazul.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
http://www.rudotecnico.com/rudo.html

Like 10x better than 1800 and the same price

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Why is the heel booze better