Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unmature
May 9, 2008

tetrapyloctomy posted:

While I'm sure it'll just be off of some master they have lying around, it would be kinda cool to see pure CGI movies get rendered out with what the artists would have liked to have done if they had the computing horsepower. If I remember correctly, they had a lot of trouble rendering wet hair the first time around.

Wouldn't that be kinda like colorizing old movies?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

News round up!

Wild at Heart from Shout! is delayed til August 21 due to a printing error.

Upcoming Vinegar Syndrome titles include The Visitants, Blood Theatre and Grace Robbers.

Upcoming Warner Archives titles include Designing Women and Super Fly, both with new masters.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Samuel Clemens posted:

I admit that CGI has made some major strides since 2004, but really? The Incredibles still looks great, mostly thanks to the brilliant art style.

It might need a second watch. I remember it being a film everyone raved about, so I went into it a few years ago with excitement and it just felt lacking to me. Never want to go into a Pixar film and it end in disappointment, that’s what Cars is for.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Liar Lyre posted:

Upcoming Vinegar Syndrome titles include The Visitants, Blood Theatre and Grace Robbers.

Are any of these the mystery titles someone mentioned earlier?

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

CPL593H posted:

Are any of these the mystery titles someone mentioned earlier?

No. Grave Robbers and Blood Theatre are coming in June tho

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Unmature posted:

Wouldn't that be kinda like colorizing old movies?

I don't think it's quite analogous -- it would be closer to actually reshooting Casablanca in color. Even as much as I feel Lucas damaged episodes IV through VI, I can't fault him for trying to recreate the movie as he would have made it in the first place had technology allowed. If a director chose film stock for a certain grain, I think removing that grain would be out of line during a remaster, but if the original presentation of the film ended up with a blue tinge that the director didn't want, it would be okay to color-correct later.

Then again, as much as I enjoy the sound of vinyl, I don't view it as "more authentic" or anything and it cracks me up when audiophiles turn their collective nose up at digital recording. The hisses, pops and crackles are recording errors and don't reflect what the artists actually were playing at the time. Some artists would want to preserve that in order to effect a certain mood or sound, but I suspect that if you could go back in time, hunt down Robert Johnson and offer him a flawless, crystal-clear recording he'd take it over the recording technology of the time.

So, basically: maybe? But I just think that if the makers of The Incredibles thought their vision would be more effectively presented in 8k with up-to-date lighting and water effects, I'd like to see it too, and I'm accepting of the wonky mattes in Raiders of the Lost Ark if Spielberg and Lucas want to leave them be.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Re-rendering older CG movies would probably be a technical challenge too. The resources for them may be stuck in older file formats that can’t be cleanly upgraded to current software without a lot of work. “Digital rot” is a real thing and it’s part of the reason why studios “back up” films to, uh, film for long-term storage.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
I can imagine "upgrading" a CGI movie having way more issues than you might think, and probably not worth it unless they really go all-in and spend so much effort they're almost remaking the movie. There's a huge chance of any one change causing a chain reaction. It could be cool in some isolated cases, but by no means a large-scale operation.

Back to The Incredibles, on a recent rewatch it did look a bit more rough than I expected. You really don't realize how far they've come in the last decade until you look back.

Sir Lemming fucked around with this message at 15:09 on May 17, 2018

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
I tried to do some research, since I remember reading that when they printed the Incredibles onto film, they used a higher resolution than the standard 2k that was used. I'm coming up blank.

But HDR color will likely be where you see the biggest difference with UHD.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

I saw The Incredibles in 35mm back in 2004 and I remember it looking quite impressive since it was the first scope CGI I had seen since I hadn’t seen A Bug’s Life.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Looks like a few more OOP Twilight Time releases maybe coming out from different publishers. Sleepless in Seattle is getting a 25th anniversary release through Sony. And there are rumors going around that Shout may be doing Fright Night, The Blob (80s version) and Night of the Living Dead (90s version).

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Liar Lyre posted:

Looks like a few more OOP Twilight Time releases maybe coming out from different publishers. Sleepless in Seattle is getting a 25th anniversary release through Sony. And there are rumors going around that Shout may be doing Fright Night, The Blob (80s version) and Night of the Living Dead (90s version).

I hope those rumors for The Blob and Night of the Living Dead, come true.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

I already have Fright Night but I'd be all about getting the Blob. I hope it's true, the Twilight Time disc is disgustingly expensive now.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I need Fright Night please.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

mallratcal posted:

I hope those rumors for The Blob and Night of the Living Dead, come true.

Pretty sure Umbrella has released licensed editions of both of those in Australia recently, within the last couple of years.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CelticPredator posted:

I need Fright Night please.

I think there's an all regions disc that sells for normal prices if you don't want to shell out for the Twilight Time release.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I will look into that if the Shout thing never pans out.

Also loving hell, I can't find Behind the Mask anywhere. Usually I can find Shout Blu's quite easily but that one is just gone. I'll order it online when I get some cash.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Speaking of Twilight Time, do they have any must own titles? I was thinking of picking up Runaway Train but that’s the only in stock release that’s jumping out to me.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Liar Lyre posted:

Speaking of Twilight Time, do they have any must own titles? I was thinking of picking up Runaway Train but that’s the only in stock release that’s jumping out to me.

Emperor of the North.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Kino Lorber updated their release slate (list taken from their rep on HTF/Blu-ray.com forums):
[Please note that 4K only means the release is from a 4K scan/master, not an UHD release]

6/5 The Big Country (60th Anniversary Special Edition)
6/12 Spetters (4K) | Jack the Giant Killer (Both Cuts) | Gross Anatomy
6/19 Under Capricorn (4K) | Woman in the Window | I, Jane Doe
6/26 The Martian Chronicles | Pink Panther Cartoons (Volume 2) | Disorganized Crime | Miracles

7/3 The Jericho Mile | Prefontaine
7/10 The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) (Both Cuts) | A Bill of Divorcement (1932) (4K) | Fire Birds | One Good Cop
7/17 Irma La Douce (New 4K) | The Associate | Frank McKlusky, C.I.
7/24 I Walk Alone (4K) | A Stranger Adventure (4K) | Tiger by the Tail (4K)
7/31 Mr. Destiny | Taking Care of Business

8/7 The Day After (1.33:1 TV Cut and 1.78:1 Theatrical Cut)
8/28 A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die

9/4 Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 3
9/18 Big Trouble | Sangaree (4K/2K) 3-D
9/25 Gone to Earth / The Wild Heart (both British and US cuts) | The Farmer's Daughter

10/2 The Night Stalker (4K) | The Night Strangler (4K) | Old Ironsides (2K)
10/9 The Last Command(4K) | El Paso (4K) | The Spiral Staircase (4K)
10/16 Trilogy of Terror (4K) | Kundun
10/23 What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice (4K) | National Lampoon's Class Reunion (4K)
10/30 The Grissom Gang (4K) | The Killing of Sister George (4K) Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 4

11/6 A Man Alone (4K) | Lisbon (4K)
11/13 The Outer Limits (Seasons 2)
11/20 For a Few Dollars More (New 4K Restoration)
11/27 The Bigamist (4K)

12/4 Charly
12/11 Pink Panther Cartoons Vol. 5 | Becky Sharp (4K) | You Never Know Women (4K)\

Milestone Films confirmed Rocco and His Brothers for July 10 from the Film Foundation 4K restoration.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Speaking of Kino Lorber, they’ve got another sale going on. Not as expansive as the last one, but some decent westerns in there alongside the new The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, and Fistful of Dynamite.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Vinegar Syndrome now has a checklist feature. They classified me as a Human Tornado :3:

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Vinegar Syndrome now has a checklist feature. They classified me as a Human Tornado :3:

I'm a Psycho in Love. :getin:

I, Butthole posted:

Pretty sure Umbrella has released licensed editions of both of those in Australia recently, within the last couple of years.

This is good to know, might have to snag them before October.

trdn89
Aug 16, 2008

Egbert Souse posted:

6/12 Spetters (4K)

gently caress YES. Everyone buy this so that more Dutch Verhoevens get BD releases.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

“Hey Marty! Kundun!? I liked it!”

Went a little crazy today and this week. Treated myself to Suspiria but it got delayed and won’t arrive until Monday. I know absolutely nothing about the film, just going off how much it’s been talked about in this thread. Also picked up a copy of Take Shelter for $35 on eBay, I haven’t seen it since I originally watched it on my laptop hungover so I’m pretty excited.

As I’ve mentioned, Best Buy continues to have good deals on 3D. I finally picked up Avatar as it’s $15. Also treated myself to all 3 seasons of Mr. Robot and the first season of Insecure today because they’re half-off. I also grabbed “The Man with No Name Trilogy,” another set of films I’ve never seen. Also picked up Evil Dead and Dark City last week cause why not.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Today I learned that my Blu-ray copy of Take Shelter has tripled in value.

Also, here's some UV codes. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother:

Deadpool 1: TAKEN

The Raid 2: TAKEN

mother!: TAKEN

Sir Kodiak fucked around with this message at 19:20 on May 20, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Sir Kodiak posted:

Also, here's some UV codes. Please post if you take one so others know not to bother:

Deadpool 1: 4KJAAVLYU4WFA7D2

The Raid 2: 3R2R 3EV8 NR74 HN15

mother!: 7FRPE79JN6XM

Got The Raid 2. Thanks!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Sir Kodiak posted:

Nothing like stuff being out of print

quote:

Deadpool 1: 4KJAAVLYU4WFA7D2
poo poo, I was sure this was gone but I grabbed it. Thanks!

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Sir Kodiak posted:

Deadpool 1: TAKEN

The Raid 2: TAKEN

mother!: 7FRPE79JN6XM

Grabbed mother!, thank you.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

FilthyImp posted:

Nothing like stuff being out of print

Much like several other releases that sell for insanely high prices there are various international all regions releases of Take Shelter that cost normal prices.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
For years I've hated the inclusion of DVDs in Blu-Ray packaging, feeling that it's super wasteful.

...but today I bought a portable DVD player for my (schizophrenic) uncle who has been bounced around between bad government housing situations for the past few years and was briefly homeless earlier this year. He introduced me to Blade Runner (both of our favorite movie) and hard sci-fi many years back, and I realized that he probably probably hasn't seen any of the good sci-fi movies from the past decade since he doesn't feel comfortable in the theater and doesn't have any consistent home video setup.

He's going to be SO excited to watch Blade Runner 2049. I don't even think he realizes it exists. And he'll LOVE Prometheus too for being so spiritually similar to Blade Runner. And as a former 80s and 90s rocker, Fury Road is going to blow him away. I'll also order some separate DVDs online for some stuff like The Expanse and Looper and Moon if he watched through all these. Though I'm thinking about leaving out Inception, which seems like a bad thing to give to someone who has breaks with reality (or is that condescending to his condition?).

Well anyway, as a bonus for you, the reader, going through all the boxes made me find some extra codes:

It Follows: ATFW 6RRM 2A4D MV73
No Country for Old Men: 3G43GHHYFKXW
Ghostbusters (OG): GHKJ JDEU P1PQ J4N8
Prometheus: 5264784613352062 (might be expired)

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
John Wick 2 TFMNJTXPYH4M eonedigitalcopy.com
Star Wars Last Jedi LCP4AB98LSQ redeemdigitalmovie.com
Star Trek Beyond ALMRX69XN7XP ultraviolet.flixster.com/paramount
Blade Runner 2049 XXTJBWBQWM9V wb.com/redeemdigital
Alien Covenant 4PVRU9TYD7L9BRE1 foxredeem.com
Justice League MKTVT9HQ22WX wb.com/redeemdigital
Dr Strange TB8HZMV79PY redeemdigitalmovie.com
Thor 3 F5JF5N7M8EU redeemdigitalmovie.com
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 2SRK3VKTWLC redeemdigitalmovie.com

Let me know if I screwed up typing any of these.

Chemtrailologist fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 20, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Ego-bot posted:

John Wick 2 TFMNJTXPYH4M
Star Wars Last Jedi LCP4AB98LSQ
Star Trek Beyond ALMRX69XN7XP
Blade Runner 2049 XXTJBWBQWM9V
Alien Covenant 4PVRU9TYD7L9BRE1
Justice League MKTVT9HQ22WX
Dr Strange TB8HZMV79PY
Thor 3 F5JF5N7M8EU
Guardians of the Galaxy 3 2SRK3VKTWLC

Let me know if I screwed up typing any of these.

Are these UV codes or another service?

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
I really don't know how this works. I just typed the codes on the piece of paper that came inside of the bluray. I figured people can go from there. Should I put a web address next to the specific movie?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I dunno, but they're not working.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Okay, I added the websites listed on the cards.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I tried the Justice League code on the WB site but it gave me an error. Either someone grabbed it or the code is wrong.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I tried that one too lol. I wanted it to watch the RLM commentary with it.

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
Maybe those aren't US codes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
poo poo, I didn't consider that. I'm in Canada, so I figured it wouldn't matter because it's the same region.