Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Iretep posted:

i think legion started around 34 years before the game started. also legion started 7 years after fallout 2 happened. so if you were a time traveling jerk you could go and kill caesar while he was living with the followers of the apocalypse.

That time gate from classic Star Trek is in 2, so this is doable and canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

What does everyone think re: Fallout 3 not being quite as bad as everyone says?

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I haven't watched the whole thing but from what I did watch he made some good points- there's some decent quest design and skill use in the game, and I liked his bit laying out how the level design guides you towards Megaton. It's pretty hard to disagree that Bethesda have a lot of good and thoughtful level design in their games. I don't really agree with his defense of the combat, but as he himself acknowledged it was more something he got out of the game than something Bethesda put in. Won't convince me Fallout 3 is better than any of the other games, but a good effort at convincing a bunch of super-rabid fanboys. Also apparently he did a video about how Lonesome Road is good too, which I ought to watch because I'll probably agree more with that

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

incoherent

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
if you were able to beat a game without getting bored then it couldnt have been garbage. unless you enjoy swimming in garbage then it might have been garbage and im here not to judge.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

drat, two hours? I'm happy to hear a considered, positive opinion on Fallout 3, but what a barrier to entry...

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

nobody ever does anything tedious on their own time ever

*watches 2 hour video*

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I was a stay at home dad for a while and I loved two hour long youtube videos about video games then. When you have a day job and a kid who has opinions about what they want to watch it's a harder pill to swallow. Still, let joy be unconfined, is what I say

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
If people enjoyed the game fine but watching a 2 hour video is not going to change how much i did not.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

2house2fly posted:

I haven't watched the whole thing but from what I did watch he made some good points- there's some decent quest design and skill use in the game, and I liked his bit laying out how the level design guides you towards Megaton. It's pretty hard to disagree that Bethesda have a lot of good and thoughtful level design in their games. I don't really agree with his defense of the combat, but as he himself acknowledged it was more something he got out of the game than something Bethesda put in. Won't convince me Fallout 3 is better than any of the other games, but a good effort at convincing a bunch of super-rabid fanboys. Also apparently he did a video about how Lonesome Road is good too, which I ought to watch because I'll probably agree more with that

The lonesome road episode is more of a challenge let's play. He goes into the divide at level one Stark naked and proceeds to die his way to the ending. It's not just an analysis of the Ulysses story, but if you're interested in his take on that he believes in the actions have consequences theory. He does admit that Ulysses is also a liar though.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

I watched this video a while back and while there were some points I didn't quite agree with I enjoyed it overall.

My favorite part was when he pointed out how the Vault 87 Supermutants were essentially the Master's nightmare come true. They're sterile, out of FEV, and the brighter ones who normally would have become leaders have instead become outcasts.

I also liked how he pointed out that the supermutants are mirroring the main quest from Fallout 1. They're vault dwellers who have been forced to leave their home in search for a replacement for a piece of technology that's critical for their survival. In both cases these are technologies associated with liquid (water and liquid FEV, respectively), and they're searching for other vaults because that's where they think FEV comes from (that's why you can find them fighting their way through Vault-Tec HQ, they're trying to find maps).

There's also the part where everyone in the vault is killed by one or more outsiders, which also sorta works as a parallel

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

but where farms?

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
Idk if he talks about this but fallout 3 has maybe the best introduction to an open world in any videogame. The small claustrophobic vault leading to the cave where the door closes behind you and you experience quiet for the first time (there is lots of ambient humming in the vault), then you open the door and are blinded by the sun and it slowly fades from white to this overlook of the massive dc wasteland.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011

Clever Spambot posted:

Idk if he talks about this but fallout 3 has maybe the best introduction to an open world in any videogame. The small claustrophobic vault leading to the cave where the door closes behind you and you experience quiet for the first time (there is lots of ambient humming in the vault), then you open the door and are blinded by the sun and it slowly fades from white to this overlook of the massive dc wasteland.

I agree. One second you are thinking "Tunnel Snakes 4 Lyfe" and then vault opens, drat.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Fallout 3 is not the masterwork that FNV is, but I do largely agree with the video: It's not a bad game, it's not even a bad Fallout game. It's quite a good game, it just gets outshined by FNV in most regards. But you can't have opinions like that on the internet, if it's not as good as the other game it must be garbage.

ThisIsNoZaku
Apr 22, 2013

Pew Pew Pew!
I always thought Fallout 3 was pretty good.

I found the Capital Wasteland a more interesting wilderness to explore, while the Mohave had more interesting people to meet.

Perhaps that's just the order I played them in, though, maybe if I had started with Vegas and tried going back to 3 I wouldn't feel the same way.

ThisIsNoZaku fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 20, 2018

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

fallout 3 manages to be unfun garbage all by itself

it is nice that someone came along and did it right shortly after though

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

JawKnee posted:

it is nice that someone came along and did it right shortly after though

Now will anyone do that after Fallout 4? :ohdear:

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Caufman posted:

drat, two hours? I'm happy to hear a considered, positive opinion on Fallout 3, but what a barrier to entry...

I'm assuming it's a response to Hbomberguy's 90 minute video about why Fallout 3 sucks.

I'm glad Many A True Nerd likes Fallout 3, since he's made probably over 100 hours of LP video for it and I'd hate to think he only did it because those are the most popular of his videos.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

I would absolutely like fallout 3 a lot more if it didn't crash every 2 minutes, and didn't require TOTW to play for more than 30 minutes on newer hardware.

If the Fallout 3: Anniversary Edition rumors are true, I hope it's just FO3, but with some sort of modern NVAC-like tech installed.

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

buglord posted:

Now will anyone do that after Fallout 4? :ohdear:

4 caught alot of poo poo at release but imo the addition of survival mode made it into a pretty fun survival sandbox.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Fallout 3 is a fun game, but a lot of the criticism that MATN attempted to debunk absolutely applies, like poor writing, bad worldbuilding, lack of consequences and an overt emphasis on combat.

EDIT: Also, he tries to make the point that Fallout 3 is a survival game but never substantiates that enough. That's... uh... weird. I'm gonna stop here or I'm just going to type the script to a rebuttal video, and no one needs that.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 09:01 on May 20, 2018

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I haven't played Fallout 3, and I haven't watched that video, but here's my hot take on the matter:

Everything I've heard about Fallout 3 makes it sound like it's exactly like Fallout 4: The main storyline is a mess and you're better off ignoring it, nevertheless the sidequests and DLC are occasionally brilliant even though none of them quite tie together as well as they potentially could have with better direction. The scenery and set design is intresting and engaging and the game play is fun, especially if you mod the crap out of it.

It is a good and playable game, but not as good as New Vegas (most things aren't ).

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Fallout 3 is a fun game, but a lot of the criticism that MATN attempted to debunk absolutely apply, like poor writing, bad worldbuilding, lack of consequences and an overt emphasis on combat.

EDIT: Also, he tries to make the point that Fallout 3 is a survival game but never substantiates that enough. That's... uh... weird. I'm gonna stop here or I'm just going to type the script to a rebuttal video, and no one needs that.

Thanks for this brief take. It's not that a lengthy video would be bad, but it's at the bottom of a long queue.

New Vegas overshadowed 3 in all the right catagories, and clowning on 3 felt right because Skaen is the only true god for the 99%. The points I've gleaned are valid, but the ridiculing shall not get less mean-spirited.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I haven't played Fallout 3, and I haven't watched that video, but here's my hot take on the matter:

Everything I've heard about Fallout 3 makes it sound like it's exactly like Fallout 4: The main storyline is a mess and you're better off ignoring it, nevertheless the sidequests and DLC are occasionally brilliant even though none of them quite tie together as well as they potentially could have with better direction. The scenery and set design is intresting and engaging and the game play is fun, especially if you mod the crap out of it.

It is a good and playable game, but not as good as New Vegas (most things aren't ).

That's pretty much my opinion of Fallout 3 as well, and I put a ton of hours into it back in the day. It was pretty fun to just check out some random area of map and see what you find, and the random events that could pop up really helped as well and is one of the very few things missing from New Vegas in my opinion. Honestly, while it has been said before, 3 really, really looks and feels as if it was meant to be set 50ish or so years after the Great War instead of 200ish. So many characters and events would make loads more sense in such a time period.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
I enjoyed 3 plenty but main problem is just that the feeling isnt very fallout. It has way too much of this good guy feeling. Fallout 1 alone while having a good guy theme it also shits on you for being such. Does 3 poo poo on you? Not really, it seems you become some hero that everyone knows and respects instead. The ending is even a noble sacrifice ending. In 1 at the end of the game all you get to do is shoot your boss because he kicked you out of your home for a job well done. Fallout 1 generally mocks you for being good, fallout 3 congratulates you for being good.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
New Vegas starts by shooting you in the head for just doing your job.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

One thing that irked me about Fallout 3 after playing the others is, the epilogue is basically a story the game tells you about how the world was affected by what you did. Fallout 3's was a story about... what you yourself had done. You get the narrator saying "the lone wanderer was good/bad" and then completely independently "the lone wanderer did/did not poison the water" AND "the lone wanderer did/did not nobly commit suicide" which can frankly give the whole thing a fairly schizophrenic tone, then also a quick still of a nice thing you did or evil thing you did... The End, war never changes. Like bitch I know what I already did, you don't have to tell me.

Fallout 4's "ending" doesn't even do that much, and is so vague and generalised that clips from it were used in the launch trailer

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And so, the courier who had cheated death in Goodsprings cheated death once again.

War never changes. Men do, and this man's path has reached its end.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

It was really cool imo to mash Fallout and Planescape Torment together in that final line

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
3 was amazing at the time, but very dull without the QOL and actual gameplay that makes new Vegas so enjoyable in comparison. Actual iron sights make a huge difference.

I do like the open worlds Beth creates, but the writing in every game they've done since Morrowind is just so thespian and boring. Also quest design/reactivity is almost non existent in terms of gray area and meaningful choices. Beth always railroads the player into being either lawful good or chaotic evil with minimal in between.

All this is moot in this day and age of Tale of Two Wastelands, as I can enjoy the tunnels and shooting funtymes of DC without having to chase Liam Neesons around.

Also point lookout is :discourse:

Contra Duck
Nov 4, 2004

#1 DAD

This video is exactly as bad as fallout 3.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Contra Duck posted:

This video is exactly as bad as fallout 3.

it's not nearly as long though.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The big things I remember about Fallout 3 are that a lot of the writing came off as kinda stupid and the environment was so empty away from central DC that I literally wandered for hours without hitting anything beyond random encounters, whereas close into central DC, it's a pain to explore between all the environmental obstacles and the totally unpredictable subway system.

There was also the issue that it kept on crashing on my computer and I'm lazy at saving, but that's not everyone's experience I guess.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I've heard that it's pretty fun as a survival game, but you can only play it as such with a mod, which is a little dubious to say as something in the game's favor. Still, it was popular enough that they officially put that into New Vegas.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."
wrong thread n/m

Happy_Misanthrope fucked around with this message at 17:02 on May 20, 2018

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

"Sure New Vegas has great characters but the environmental storytelling in Fallout 3 is clever and subtle and really rewards exploration"

*finds two skeletons hugging*

"Brilliant!" *a single tear runs down my cheek*

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp
I typically hear the Bethesda Fallouts described as being "Fallout themed amusement parks" as a criticism of their storytelling and tone, but I think that comparison works for the gameplay itself. The good experiences in those are roller coasters: fun and exciting in the moment, but it was on a fixed track, you had to wait 2 hours in line to get your turn, and the experience fades quickly. The bad quests are a merry-go-round.: slow, ugly, you're going in circles, and the whole experience is just giving you a headache.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wicked Them Beats posted:

"Sure New Vegas has great characters but the environmental storytelling in Fallout 3 is clever and subtle and really rewards exploration"

*finds two skeletons hugging*

"Brilliant!" *a single tear runs down my cheek*

It's me, I'm the elaborately posed scenarios involving large quantities of garden gnomes. Ask me anything

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

StandardVC10 posted:

It's me, I'm the elaborately posed scenarios involving large quantities of garden gnomes. Ask me anything

That's honestly the most believable part of the Bethesda Fallouts for me. If I survived the end of the world and suddenly had to deal with the threat of being alone with my own thoughts without modern distractions, it wouldn't be very long before I was traveling the wasteland with a cart full of garden gnomes and human skeletons, leaving lewd art installations behind in whatever crumbling basement I slept in that night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I've heard that it's pretty fun as a survival game, but you can only play it as such with a mod, which is a little dubious to say as something in the game's favor. Still, it was popular enough that they officially put that into New Vegas.

I would have to rewatch the video, but his argument is more along the lines of "rapid-fire weapons are very effective and therefore you use a lot of ammo, and the Damage Resistance system means you're always taking damage and are fragile."

In my experience, neither of those assertions is true, but it's been a while since I played Fallout 3 vanilla.