Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

As someone who loved the original show as a kid, I can’t help but be a bit depressed about this. It was about as dark and serious as an 80s kids show could get, and now they’re turning it into just another generic wacky hijinks series because apparently they think kids are too fragile to handle even a little darkness. Even though everything from Batman the Animated Series to Samurai Jack to Avatar seems to demonstrate the exact opposite.

And am I the only one who absolutely cannot stand that bean-face art style regardless of what show it’s being used in? It just looks so lazy and ugly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Bakeneko posted:

As someone who loved the original show as a kid, I can’t help but be a bit depressed about this. It was about as dark and serious as an 80s kids show could get, and now they’re turning it into just another generic wacky hijinks series because apparently they think kids are too fragile to handle even a little darkness. Even though everything from Batman the Animated Series to Samurai Jack to Avatar seems to demonstrate the exact opposite.

And am I the only one who absolutely cannot stand that bean-face art style regardless of what show it’s being used in? It just looks so lazy and ugly.

There's also been that Thundercats remake from a few years back that was apparently quite solid. Not to mention Voltron on Netflix, and the ten-episode fifth season of Samurai Jack. Even if that explicitly shot for a mature audience.

That said, I watched the announcement trailer for Thundercats Roar, and quite liked this comment;

quote:

Wow, the fact that you watched Thundercats a lot in the past really shows. No really. You managed to find every single thing that was likeable about Thundercats, down to the art style, and pissed on all of it at once. That’s impressive.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
thundercats deserve this for inspiring furries

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

This Thundercats isn’t for you.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
also the other thundercats remake was actually pretty awful

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I only barely know of thundercats having been a thing in my 20s, so I dunno what pull the IP would have with current kids to begin with.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

I only barely know of thundercats having been a thing in my 20s, so I dunno what pull the IP would have with current kids to begin with.

It sounds a lot like it's a passion project being driven by the guy in charge. It's just that it's someone who wants to make it what I can only describe as 'tumblr-esque' rather than good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:shrug: it just looks cartoony to me

e: though that said I have memories of watching the he-man reboot despite having basically zero knowledge of the original besides memes to this day

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

What I want to know is why is everyone drawing this face now, it's like the second coming of dreamworks face or that flushed-cheeks, triangle-nose thing from a while back that literally everybody drew in for a while.

If it was a passion project, wouldn't they put a bit of time and effort into making it look, if not similar to the original's style, at least more unique?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I like the opening video, but the art style is very generically contemporary.

My only concern would be how many packs of cigarettes a day they have Mumm-Ra on. I say would be because I was emotionally invested in children's cartoons in the 80s, not in my 30s.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motto posted:

:shrug: it just looks cartoony to me

e: though that said I have memories of watching the he-man reboot despite having basically zero knowledge of the original besides memes to this day

I admit I'm no real fan of Thundercats either, it's just very easy to tell where the train of thought is here and why people vocally don't like it; The kind of show he wants to make with Thundercats Roar to "make the fans happy" is almost diametrically opposite to what they actually would want. The best it'll likely be is a soulless flavour of Adventure Time/Stephen Universe/Gravity Falls/etc (which are all shows where it's very easy to understand why they're liked and have their fanbases), except that the fans don't want it, and it probably won't have anything good/unique enough to sustain on general viewership over the other existing shows.

Also when you start with a premise of "Their world's destroyed, their people are dead, and they're fighting to survive" and your first thought for a revamp is "I know; COMEDY! :pseudo:" It's not surprising to see people go ':cripes:'.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

What I want to know is why is everyone drawing this face now, it's like the second coming of dreamworks face or that flushed-cheeks, triangle-nose thing from a while back that literally everybody drew in for a while.

If it was a passion project, wouldn't they put a bit of time and effort into making it look, if not similar to the original's style, at least more unique?

I'm guessing the thinking didn't get past "I liked it in [SHOW X], so i'm gonna do MY show that way!"

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
A cartoon?!? Is cartoony?!?!?!! Oooooh Noooooooo!!!!!

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have no attachment to Thundercats at all and I just looked up what it looked like in the 80s and in 2011 and in both cases it just looks like what I'd expect from a contemporary half-decent cartoon of the time. The 80s one looks like an 80s cartoon, the 2011 one looks like Avatar.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There's also been that Thundercats remake from a few years back that was apparently quite solid.

I've seen some posts about the remake/reboot from 2011. The stills from it make it look pretty nice, but I've seen some people say that the writing for it was mixed.

I remember watching an episode or two of the original Thundercats a long time ago on Cartoon Network (this was mid-to-late 90s, so it was probably when it ended up in syndication), but I can't really remember anything about it. As such, I'm not a fan of the show, but I see why people aren't happy with it.

It could just be my insomnia talking, but I have to wonder if the reason it was green-lit was because someone figured it would raise a huge fuss like Teen Titans Go has (in the sense that it's a reboot of a show that had a serious tone into a slapstick comedy that has no continuity with the original).

I feel like I've seen that style of face somewhere else, too. Wait...

drat you, Sans Undertale! :argh:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I haven't thought of Thundercats in years, but one thing I always liked was that the bad guy is a frail old man who just wants the cats to get off his drat lawn.

KayTee
May 5, 2012

Whachoodoin?

Insurrectionist posted:

Has there ever been a single mom main character in gaming?

Not a main character but I'm always sad that this lass only ever appeared in one game and embodies a lot of elements that get talked about a lot re: female character design.

http://bloodyroar.wikia.com/wiki/Mitsuko_the_Boar

(Also there's things to be said about Hans/Fox the Fox - a trans assassin. Who was presented as a lady in the UK verso at least and was also cut from the series and replaced with Jenny the FanWank Material in subsequent games)

Bloody Roar was a game out of its time mind time.

KayTee fucked around with this message at 12:02 on May 20, 2018

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-aWyACsGdLY

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Yeah, God of War is an incredibly shallow and basic series, and comparing it to a proper character action game like DMC is horribly overselling what it offers.

Also, honestly, Nier and Automata are probably two of the actual best games ever made, and it would've been great to see either one get even half of the press GoW18 did. But they're just too crazy and japanese, and god knows we can't have that.

Nier 1 had impeccable presentation but the actual game part that makes up what a game is was unmitigated garbage

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
I wouldn’t say it was unmitigated garbage, not by a long shot. I played it recently after beating Nier:A expecting it to be awful and wound up blowing through 3 of four endings. It’s not great, though, and if the game had your typical JRPG plot and soundtrack I don’t believe I could have stuck with it.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

I've seen a few people even say they prefer the gameplay of Nier The First One over Automata, I suppose due to the lack of challenge or enemy variety in the latter.

Automata is a strong contender as my personal favorite game but it's in need of some rebalancing. More machine variants, better difficulty adjustments, maybe make the shmup segments less watered down, etc.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

VolticSurge posted:

Look at all these bad Dad of Boy opinions in this thread. Disgraceful. :colbert:

Edit: Before any of you get up my rear end, I'm not saying it's a perfect game. I just think it's not as bad as you're all making it out to be.

https://twitter.com/9_volt88/status/984429864475414529

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

OK seriously can somebody explain why Nier 1's plot is good to me please.

Old Swerdlow
Jul 24, 2008
I think it’s more interesting than actually good.

I played through a bit of Nier Automata but just found the writing to be the same lovely anime/Japanese game story telling that most rpgs have; just total trash.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

And yet it still didn't get anywhere close to the accolades of GoW18.

Jesus, why does this matter to you so much? Just ignore games reviewers and you'll be a lot happier. They mostly just say the same things about every game, anyway.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
it's a game with a fantastic presentation that subverts the basic save girl plot.

it's probably something cool in 2010

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
the only good games are party games

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Junpei Hyde posted:

OK seriously can somebody explain why Nier 1's plot is good to me please.

Part of it is that it's written in layers. The first pass comes off as a general action game, with some legitimately good plot beats and twists on its own, but the second playthrough (which begins from the midway point after an intervening timeskip) starts to peel things back and it gets fascinatingly bleak. Especially if you read the collectable bits of lore. Spoilers, if you don't care; It adds extra cutscenes giving a little background to the dungeon boss Shadows you've been killing mercilessly the first time around, and just lets you see what they're saying via subtitles. A lot of what they've been growling incoherently at the protagonist amounts to "please, no, we just want to live!" or "why did you kill my friend? :qq:".

The gameplay is not the best part of Nier, but it's still perfectly serviceable to play (You'll never get stuck fighting the controls/camera, or trying to figure out how to use something, etc), and mixes things up just often enough to keep you from getting bored. Not just flipping to 2D like Nier Automata does, but weird things like an entire section that's played as a straight text adventure.

OmanyteJackson
Mar 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Honestly when it comes to games, reviews just kind of suck. Ideally you'd want to know the things about a game you can't glean from watching a trailer, but it seems everything is either a think piece or a commercial now. You'd have more luck with just watching let's plays of games to see if your interested than checking metacritic.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

SatansBestBuddy posted:

There's Amy, a downloadable 360 game from I want to say 2012? Where you literally hold a young girl's hand as you walk her through a zombie apocalypse.

Excuse me. Lana is *not* Amy's mother, she is an employee of some vague description working at The Center who kidnap-slash-rescues Amy on Christmas Eve because she doesn't think Amy should be just-a-test-subject, so she's taking her to see her friend Ellen at St. John's Hospital in Silver City so Ellen can run a bunch of tests on her.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I'm a big fan of when ~animation fans~ get all huffy about how all new shows look exactly alike and their proof is like, if you take one design that doesn't even really match up and put it in a white void then it kinda sorta looks the same as another not really matching design in another white void.

Like, I 100% get why there's the instinct to just laugh at these people even if it's probably not a professional response.

edit: And since someone asked where this comes from. It's the "CAL ARTS IS RUINING ANIMATION" meme but with the name filed off after tons of people replied to it with examples of artists with super unique styles coming from Cal Arts the first time. It's literally just a conspiracy theory that started with some egg's 'I didn't even WANT to go to that school so it doesn't matter I didn't get in they SUCK anyway' rant and got mixed in with the kinda people who think computer animation is basically murdering the entire industry.

sexpig by night fucked around with this message at 15:32 on May 20, 2018

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Part of it is that it's written in layers. The first pass comes off as a general action game, with some legitimately good plot beats and twists on its own, but the second playthrough (which begins from the midway point after an intervening timeskip) starts to peel things back and it gets fascinatingly bleak. Especially if you read the collectable bits of lore. Spoilers, if you don't care; It adds extra cutscenes giving a little background to the dungeon boss Shadows you've been killing mercilessly the first time around, and just lets you see what they're saying via subtitles. A lot of what they've been growling incoherently at the protagonist amounts to "please, no, we just want to live!" or "why did you kill my friend? :qq:".

The gameplay is not the best part of Nier, but it's still perfectly serviceable to play (You'll never get stuck fighting the controls/camera, or trying to figure out how to use something, etc), and mixes things up just often enough to keep you from getting bored. Not just flipping to 2D like Nier Automata does, but weird things like an entire section that's played as a straight text adventure.

No, I've played the whole game, I know that stuff happens. I didn't dislike, Nier's gameplay, I disliked the story specifically. The pacing is godawful and ruined any potential for me to enjoy what it was trying to tell me, and most of the B route stuff felt really, really trite and I rolled my eyes at it. Characters were generally very good though.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Styles get popular for a reason

That reason isn't that a style is good, it's a combination of "Humans like to copy each other," "This style is easy to draw/animate," and "This style matches what the people in charge like, so of loving course I'm using it, I want to work."

Also Kelly Turnbull posted on Twitter about this... thing:
https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/997661027901718534

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/997664722471170048

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I can never stay mad at teen Titans go for the amount of frothing rage it produces in DC fans. That alone is worth the price of admission.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018
Good or bad, the shows in those examples all do have really similar styles.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

(n o i c e)
just make everything look like voltron

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

trends and/or influences are just a part of creation, and while stuff that breaks the current mold and maybe inspires a new strain of works is cool, taking recognizing it as a slam dunk on any individual work is lame imo.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

ulex minor posted:

Same with every era of animation. People get influenced by things, those things get integrated into their culture.

Especially in kids stuff, because kids fukken LOVE the same thing over and over when they're into it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

ulex minor posted:

They're not really any more homogenous than the original thundercats was with shows like He-man and See-ra.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

I remember when people got really mad about Klasky Csupo's intentionally grungy style. The Style Hating Cycle is eternal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

I watched an episode of Teen Titans Go, thought it was pretty funny, and tweeted something along the lines of "I see why people like this so much."

Good times.