Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

The one mine had was https://www.replacementremotes.com/onkyo/buy-rc807m-24140807-audio-video-receiver-remote-control which was utterly fantastic. The remote that came with my Marantz SR6011 is utterly terrible by comparison. It's kind of moot now since I now use Harmony Smart Control remotes because they're stupidly easy to use and allow you to use your phone or whatever if you need all the buttons or something, but at the time, that Onkyo remote was really good. I still have mine - the receiver has been trashed as the dog peed in it when it was sitting on the floor once, and it was unable to recover - but the remote is fine and if it would work for you and you want it I'll give it to you for free + shipping cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah that looks like an updated version of my old one. New one just has basic receiver controls and no learning, which is a shame.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I think that's kind of a trend across the board. My TV (Vizio P75-C1) actually came with a smallish tablet for a remote, plus a super-basic one, and that was pretty neat. They eventually got rid of the tablet for an updated model and improved the remote and sent me the updated remote for free. It doesn't matter all that much since I use the aforementioned harmony smart control remote, but having a free tablet to look things up on quick sometimes is really handy.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

grack posted:

I can hear nearly to 21k at 36. It's not a benefit, trust me.

No you can't.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

redeyes posted:

No you can't.

According to my audiologist I can. Being able to hear slightly above 20k isn't all that uncommon

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yes, it is.

Hell, those anti-teen loitering devices are about 17.5khz

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
I've lost a lot of bass, I can only hear down to about 40-50Hz now. I think it's from driving around with the car windows open.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I just looked up a couple of DCC remastered albums I sold off in 2006 for not more than a couple dollars each and drat near hung myself. No one can know the future but I feel like I should have had a little more foresight than I did

Gunjin
Apr 27, 2004

Om nom nom

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Yes, it is.

Hell, those anti-teen loitering devices are about 17.5khz

I’m in my early 40s, I lose it between 17.4 and 17.5, I can hear some but not all anti-loitering things. It’s kind of odd being the only person in my office than can hear certain things.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Neat!

All I was saying was that it's uncommon. Not saying it's impossible. Hell I top out at 16k, but bottom out under 20. Imperfect human meatbags are wildly variable!

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Panty Saluter posted:

I just looked up a couple of DCC remastered albums I sold off in 2006 for not more than a couple dollars each and drat near hung myself. No one can know the future but I feel like I should have had a little more foresight than I did

Which ones?

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

synthetik posted:

Which ones?

Master of Puppets and Van Halen. I still have V0 rips which are plenty transparent but it's the principle of the thing, you see

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

grack posted:

I can hear nearly to 21k at 36. It's not a benefit, trust me.

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

anti-teen loitering devices are about 17.5khz
point and case.
Those loving things are disorienting. I had to stop shopping at the Harris Teeter near me because they never turn them off.
An ex GF bought a dog whistle just to gently caress with me. That relationship didn't last too long.
There's a particular drawer at my co-workers desk that would SHREAK when he opened it and apparently nobody but me could hear it. I had to take it apart and file one arm down and grease the whole thing with lithium grease just to avoid killing someone.

What's odd is I happen to have a dip in my sensitivity to sounds (where it actually matters) around 8k and between 12-14k Hz which winds up making me EQ things really weird for some people's liking.

I thought for the longest time that every pair of headphones I had were obnoxiously sharp at around 10k as a result but it turns out it's just my terrible ears being terrible.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

Panty Saluter posted:

Master of Puppets and Van Halen. I still have V0 rips which are plenty transparent but it's the principle of the thing, you see

I can understand this. I flat out refuse to sell my records even though they cost me $80 a month in storage fees on the principle alone.

I guess that’s why I can sympathize with some of the audiophile tomfoolery, I can see myself getting way too caught up in hype if I had unlimited funds. I’m not giving a pass to the companies that prey on idiots, but I could see myself being one of those idiots if I was 10 years older and make 10 times what I make now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

There's gonna be an episode of Storage Wars where somebody makes an absolute FORTUNE off of you when you miss a payment.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Joke's on them: I have a terrible taste in music! :v:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

"I just bought this unit for 7g because it's LOADED with old records. Let's see what kind of treasures we find!"

-1 hour later-

"gently caress! It's just a thousand copies of the same Phish record."

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

KillHour posted:

There's gonna be an episode of Storage Wars where somebody makes an absolute FORTUNE off of you when you miss a payment.

Oh god, I was three days late one month and I was freaking out hardcore. I really don’t even know how I’m ever going to be able to do anything with them, it’s just under 15k records, 95% dance music from 1996 to 2015.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

KillHour posted:

"I just bought this unit for 7g because it's LOADED with old records. Let's see what kind of treasures we find!"

-1 hour later-

"gently caress! It's just a thousand copies of the same Phish record."

"it's just the black keys???? who would fill an entire storage unit with black keys?"

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I feel like Sony (perhaps unwittingly) came up with the most perfect audiophilia.jpg to accompany their latest "enhancement"

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

From the Android thread:

Ynglaur posted:

Is there a go-to app for playing FLAC files stored on OneDrive with automatic syncing? The ability to stream is ideal, but I could live with needing to download.

I'm okay paying for an app but I don't want something that spams advertisements or needs a bunch of ridiculous permissions (i.e. you don't need to read my email or know my location to play music.)

Wasabi the J posted:

Google play music.

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks. Google Play Music converts to MP3. Groove on Android doesn't see or play Flac on Android. I'll check out Vlc.

Help me find a special snowflake solution so I can janitor my music collection because mp3 isn't good enough to listen to on my phone.

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Can PowerAmp do it? Not sure how OneDrive plays into it.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

OneDrive plays into it because he wants functionality identical to Google Play Music (upload your collection and stream it without having to store it on your phone) but doesn't want to use GPM because it reencodes to MP3 (LAME -V0, I believe, at the highest quality setting) and that isn't good enough for his golden ears.

Edit: GPM converts FLAC to 320k mp3.

Theris fucked around with this message at 00:12 on May 14, 2018

Lowness 72
Jul 19, 2006
BUTTS LOL

Jade Ear Joe
Ohhh. That was a woosh moment. Thought I was in a different thread lol.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Yeah I did not engage.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

So generally speaking, is this thread of the opinion that 320 mp3 is the same as FLAC?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's completely indistinguishable in the vast majority of cases, but there are some known problem samples that the MP3 format particularly weak against. There are also some types of music that lend themselves more to distinction, depending on circumstances. Solo castanets or harpsichord are the absolute worst (at least for actual musical content and not test signals).

I know one guy who used to post on Hydrogenaudio was/is extremely sensitive to pre-echo, which is a known MP3 limitation even at high bitrates. He liked extreme metal and extremely noisy music with high amounts of dynamic compression were key to him successfully hearing differences.

As for me personally, I have not been able to identify FLAC vs. -V3 LAME MP3 for tricky samles, and around -V4 or even -V5 for the majority of music. That's ~175kbps, ~165kbps and ~130kbps, respectively.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 17:49 on May 14, 2018

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Alan_Shore posted:

So generally speaking, is this thread of the opinion that 320 mp3 is the same as FLAC?

This feels like a disingenuous question leading into a semantic trap, but in terms of listening yes it absolutely is for almost 999/1000 use cases. Anyone who claims they can blindly tell the difference outside of very specific circumstances is either lying or selling something.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
In the case of the user in question, it was to listen to music on their phone. Not the usual source to listen to music in a critical way.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Wasabi the J posted:

In the case of the user in question, it was to listen to music on their phone. Not the usual source to listen to music in a critical way.

That's a weird criticism for this thread in which we always say that phones have excellent dacs.

The psychoacoustic effect of playing lossless versus lossy is real though.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Don't get me wrong, phones typically have really good DACs, they're just not used by the kind of person to worry about FLAC over 320kbps MP3.

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

Wasabi the J posted:

Yeah, this is the important part. People with very good ears who are well trained at identifying encoding artifacts (or are unusually sensitive to one, like the guy in KozmoNaut's example) can identify the difference in certain parts of some tracks on high quality equipment in a quiet environment.

A normal person using a phone as a source, in the kinds of environments where people listen to music on their phones? No loving way.

Edit: re: phones having good DACs, lots of them do, but people don't typically use them to sit in a quiet room and focus only on the music they're listening to.

Theris fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 15, 2018

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

Yeah, that's really the thing. In an environment where there's outside noise... You're not gonna hear the difference.

bigman.50grand
Mar 31, 2007
no
So is Laurel/Yanny gonna be the next audiophile reference pressing?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I did not start to worry about FLAC vs 320 mp3 until I started spending quite a bit on headphone audio equipment, and were talking about the thousands.

There is a difference with certain types of instruments and certain types of tracks, but you wont hear it on a mobile phone. Additionally, your ears have to be trained, and many of the times the album recording quality has a bigger effect on the quality of the music track than whether the track is in FLAC vs 320 MP3.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Guys we caught one!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Crikey, what a beaut he is!

treasure bear
Dec 10, 2012

ntan1 posted:

I did not start to worry about FLAC vs 320 mp3 until I started spending quite a bit on headphone audio equipment, and were talking about the thousands.

There is a difference with certain types of instruments and certain types of tracks, but you wont hear it on a mobile phone. Additionally, your ears have to be trained, and many of the times the album recording quality has a bigger effect on the quality of the music track than whether the track is in FLAC vs 320 MP3.

have you ever done a proper blind A B test?

Bargearse
Nov 27, 2006

🛑 Don't get your pen🖊️, son, you won't be 👌 needing that 😌. My 🥡 order's 💁 simple😉, a shitload 💩 of dim sims 🌯🀄. And I want a bucket 🪣 of soya sauce☕😋.
I gotta admit I rip everything to FLAC because, why the hell not, storage is cheap these days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

treasure bear posted:

have you ever done a proper blind A B test?

Are all your cables uni-directional?