Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

Anyone have a good recommendation for pork belly that can be eaten straight out of the bag, no searing before or after necessary? I've got a rec for the chefsteps recipe with szechuan peppercorns, ginger, scallions, chili flakes etc as as the aromatics, with the higher/shorter temp option, and then for the glaze add a bit of sugar to the bag juices to help it get sticky before reducing and then brushing. In my mind that'd turn out something like hong shao rou. Thoughts?
imho no, pork belly needs some type of high heat for the texture of the skin at least. I tried to fit sous vide into sou yuk, which obviously needs crisping after, and found that the traditional methods were better. For hong shao rou I can tell a huge difference between well browned belly pre braise and a lazy only braise. I've yet to try it SV but imagine you'll get the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Pork belly without the skin is great in the SV, and all of my stores only sell it skinless these days.

Ramms+ein
Nov 11, 2003
Henshin-a-go-go, baby!
Was thinking of sous viding some ribs and then finishing them off on a smoker. I've mostly read you only need about 30 minutes on the smoker to finish them off but is there a limit on how long you could let it go on the smoker for?

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I generally do 2 hours no matter if I'm doing all grill or SV+grill. Just the right amount of smokiness and bark.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Bottom Liner posted:

I generally do 2 hours no matter if I'm doing all grill or SV+grill. Just the right amount of smokiness and bark.

Going to agree with this. Either dry rub or wet you need 2hr-ish to get the right kind of bark on it. Also, just so you know it's not going to pick up the same smoke qualities that you get if you were to smoke it. Apparently cooked meat doesn't allow for the uptake of smoke as raw meats. It'll still have a hint of it but like I said not the same as full on smoked.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i like to save the left over water after and use it in recipes i call it SOUP vide (:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
you can even freeze it to use it later if you want it stays good for months!

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I'm going to try heat gun instead of cast iron next time

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eR4MsuEgYcc

Probably better with something skin-on so you don't end up overcooking the outside layer, but heat guns are hella hot so I think it'll work out

I might even cut off the last 1" of my heat gun so I get the most out of the inverse square law*

*doesn't actually apply to convection, shhhh

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Ya know I'm kinda tired of Ninja. He provide very little explanation to his basis on why things taste 'better.' Then again, describing flavor and textures can be difficult to express but he just woops and hollers when he eats something.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

My favourite is “steak-like texture”. Steak done how, hmm?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Do those dudes all live together or what. It's a weird dynamic they have going on.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007
I think they all work at a small business one of them owns (ninja?) and this is a side thing they do during lunch.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Ya’ll think that heat gun is better than MAPP with a good torch head? (What I have...)

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have a heat gun for lighting my egg, and I plan to test it against my Searzall at some point soon.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

Ya’ll think that heat gun is better than MAPP with a good torch head? (What I have...)

The heat gun wins according to that video because it has lower heat than a searzall. The searzall cooked the outer layer too fast, leaving the inner skin undercooked. MAPP is hotter than propane, and a torch is more concentrated than a searzall.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

The heat gun wins according to that video because it has lower heat than a searzall. The searzall cooked the outer layer too fast, leaving the inner skin undercooked. MAPP is hotter than propane, and a torch is more concentrated than a searzall.

Word, but what if gently caress chicken I mostly do pork chops and steaks and I want a nice crust WITHOUT penetration, more heat=better, right?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Feenix posted:

Word, but what if gently caress chicken I mostly do pork chops and steaks and I want a nice crust WITHOUT penetration, more heat=better, right?

yeah

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Please don’t gently caress chickens

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

Please don’t gently caress chickens

I don’t. I promise. I’m just being silly but basically my point was I do chickens hardly ever, and care about crispy skins when I do, even less.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I know I know

Yeah, searzall or torch for steaks. Direct MAPP + torch might be a little too hot and concentrated still even for steak, so if you have a strainer you don't give a poo poo about, maybe use it as a radiant heat diffuser. Personally I still like using a skillet for steaks the most because it can do a whole side of the steak instead of a 4 inch circle at a time

Solution for chicken if you have a searzall, is to just put it an inch farther from the chicken and then it won't be too hot/fast

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I like SVE but some of their conclusions are questionable

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Seven Hundred Bee posted:

I like SVE but some of their conclusions are questionable

I like some tips I’ve gotten from looking at their stuff, but the whole Portuguese Ric Flair shtick undermines things a bit.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I have to say, half of my circulator use these days is for thawing frozen food on demand. They should advertise that more.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

Feenix posted:

which torch gives the best head, asking for a friend ( a horney friend)

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Subjunctive posted:

I have to say, half of my circulator use these days is for thawing frozen food on demand. They should advertise that more.

Say, for example, a whole chicken... 5lbs. How long, what temp?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VERTiG0 posted:

Say, for example, a whole chicken... 5lbs. How long, what temp?

Put in tap-cold water, set circ to its lowest temp, leave it for 45 mins to an hour.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
i reheated some old soup vide from like a year ago and then i mixed it with my eggs and i got real sick ):

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Subjunctive posted:

I never thought of that before...I've definitely used it to 'cook' frozen things like chicken thighs or steaks, but it was always coming up to the normal temp (160 or 135, respectively).

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I use my Anova all the time for food, but I’m actually going to rig up a heated, on-demand camp shower (there’s one electrical outlet) starring my Anova, this summer.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Nooner posted:

i reheated some old soup vide from like a year ago and then i mixed it with my eggs and i got real sick ):

Lol

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
How safe is sous vide food for pregnant women? My wife is expecting. Obviously we know the usual things like soft cheese, cured meats etc. things like rare steaks are also mentioned.

Also I heard someone say you could “safely” poach eggs in it, I know my wife is missing poached eggs and I’m wondering if this is right?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

teacup posted:

How safe is sous vide food for pregnant women? My wife is expecting. Obviously we know the usual things like soft cheese, cured meats etc. things like rare steaks are also mentioned.

Also I heard someone say you could “safely” poach eggs in it, I know my wife is missing poached eggs and I’m wondering if this is right?

Done correctly, sous vide is a very safe method of cooking because you can adhere well to time and temperature charts for food safety. Poached eggs would be included in that temperature range.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

teacup posted:

The egg discussion wasn't about poached eggs specifically, but rather pasteurizing eggs so he could make over easy eggs. But yeah as mentioned above it's a relatively safe cooking method. There are tons of charts on the internet that you can reference. I'd probably trust Chefsteps or Seriouseats the most. Killing off bacterial growth isn't just a matter of temperature but one also of time. I can't find it right now but there is a specific chart which references temp and time for 99.99% pasteurization and if I remember correctly as low as like 130 for 2 hrs is the same as internal temp of 165 for 1 sec.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have some chuck steaks, cut into 1 inch thick slices. Most of the recipes I've seen are 24-hour recipes but they all seem to assume that the chuck is in the shape of a roast. I did find one recipe somewhere for chuck steaks, also 24 hours, but it's for 1.5-2 inch cuts. Should I still stick with 24 hours for these steaks?

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Argue posted:

I have some chuck steaks, cut into 1 inch thick slices. Most of the recipes I've seen are 24-hour recipes but they all seem to assume that the chuck is in the shape of a roast. I did find one recipe somewhere for chuck steaks, also 24 hours, but it's for 1.5-2 inch cuts. Should I still stick with 24 hours for these steaks?

I would. It's not so much about the thickness of the meat, but allowing the collagen to break down into gelatin at the lower, gentler heat sous vide cooking provides versus something like an oven or the stovetop. This takes time regardless of the thickness.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

For those of use without the Hi/Lo foodsaver or a full on chamber vac:

Do you find freezing liquid ingredients works well enough to get them into a bag and sealed without screwing up the seal?

I'm doing the SE Carnitas for this weekend but Kenji suggests throwing oranges and their juice into a bag and i know how that would end if i took the instructions at face value.
I'm thinking jsut freeze the oranges and then toss the bag in the freezer for 10-15m before trying to seal it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

toplitzin posted:

For those of use without the Hi/Lo foodsaver or a full on chamber vac:

Do you find freezing liquid ingredients works well enough to get them into a bag and sealed without screwing up the seal?

I'm doing the SE Carnitas for this weekend but Kenji suggests throwing oranges and their juice into a bag and i know how that would end if i took the instructions at face value.
I'm thinking jsut freeze the oranges and then toss the bag in the freezer for 10-15m before trying to seal it.

What I do is put them in the vac bag and start evacuating the air and as soon as the liquid in the bag starts moving towards the seal I stop the vacuum and seal the bag. You end up with slightly more air in the bag but it's good enough and freezing stuff is just a pain in the rear end unless you're doing soup or something.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

toplitzin posted:

I've done the sous vide SE carnitas more times than I can remember and I always do like uPen says.

Also, to make sure the are no leaks. After the first seal, I leave the foodsaver shut and reseal again, then clean the bag and seal once more higher up. Maybe paranoid, but better than a bad seal.

Due to the light vacuum some air may be left that makes the bag float, in that case I just add tea towels on top until it sinks.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I understand that a steak sous vided straight from the freezer won't be as good as a steak that was defrosted overnight then sous vided. What if I use sous vide at a low temperature to defrost the steak, let it cool down, then sous vide it as normal?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Argue posted:

I understand that a steak sous vided straight from the freezer won't be as good as a steak that was defrosted overnight then sous vided.

In what way?