Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

K. Waste posted:

In the original script of Leon there was literally a sex scene between Mathilda and Leon.

I know the answer, but was it a case where they just casted young instead of written her to be that age...:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

In the original script of Leon there was literally a sex scene between Mathilda and Leon.

If I recall right, wasn't it specifically a scene where Matilda asks Leon to take her virginity, but he refuses?

It doesn't matter a whole lot, I'm never going to see that movie in the same light again. gently caress. 5th Element is one of my all-time favorite movies too.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

davidspackage posted:

If I recall right, wasn't it specifically a scene where Matilda asks Leon to take her virginity, but he refuses?

It doesn't matter a whole lot, I'm never going to see that movie in the same light again. gently caress. 5th Element is one of my all-time favorite movies too.

Yeah, I think the sex scene was a rumour. But the original script iirc was more explicit about Mathilda wanting to have sex. In the scene kept in the director's cut it's more implied that's what she wants from him rather than outright stated iirc.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I mean, I saw screen caps of it in a cracked article, it probably never got past development stage, but it was a really bad look all around. Besson's scene description even did that whole 'it's not exploitative, it's intimate and beautiful' thing that just screams he knew exactly what he wanted the power/sexual fantasy of their relationship to be from the jump. The 'toning down' of the film to Leon being kind of a man child is really just a vestige of that basic fantasy highly characteristic of pedophilia even if it's no longer explicit. That whole idea of the adult and the child being emotionally or rather spiritually indistinguishable is straight up how many pederasts conceive of their desires and behavior.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Besson's always been a creep, no doubt about that. At least it makes news like this go down easier if you're already kinda expecting it.

And at least he only has a handful of good movies.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
http://scifiscripts.com/msol/LEON.txt

spoilering because i'm not gonna suffer anyone to look at this if they don't need precise confirmation that, "Yes, Besson really did think this was a good idea."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I’m getting flash backs of that South Park Episode where Mr. Garrison writes an erotic novel.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

K. Waste posted:

http://scifiscripts.com/msol/LEON.txt

spoilering because i'm not gonna suffer anyone to look at this if they don't need precise confirmation that, "Yes, Besson really did think this was a good idea."

aaah

aaaAAAAaah

AAAHHHH

That's so much worse than what I thought it was.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
That last line is so awful, I can't believe it's real.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
:stonk:

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Sometimes I doubt my abilities as a writer, but if that poo poo was made into a movie, I really don’t have a reason to be self conscious

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!

Lol this movie we almost got is so bad.

RaspberrySea
Nov 29, 2004

Watch out! A POIsonous snake!
Like, I would not be surprised there's a first draft script of The Fifth Element where Leeloo is a perfect 12 year old girl and the divine light has to be released by Korben's meat popsicle.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
That's not even just Besson. Sci-fi/fantasy pop is awash in the infantilization of sexual purity, particularly of women. Leeloo is explicitly, more or less, a child who just looks like a full grown adult model.

It's just another example of what we constantly need to stress in this thread and throughout the movement in rebuttal to the insinuations and accusations that it's a "witch hunt" (la-a-a-a-a-a-wl): The problem is not individual perverts. The problem is not the individual movie. The pervert is just a pervert, the movie is just a movie. The problem is ideology.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!
Not that this is even on a list of Besson's biggest crimes, but are most scripts that.. prosey?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Not Operator posted:

Not that this is even on a list of Besson's biggest crimes, but are most scripts that.. prosey?

Not really but when you write and direct you can do as you please.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

davidspackage posted:

aaah

aaaAAAAaah

AAAHHHH

That's so much worse than what I thought it was.

I'm just curious why anyone who read that draft would be willing to go on with the film. That last line is indefensible. I mean, the whole thing is super creepy, but anyone who writes that last line is seriously hosed up and at the very least needs to take some time to get their head straight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

It's Hollywood. Read the story of this infamous film: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pretty_Baby_(1978_film)

Davros1 fucked around with this message at 19:01 on May 20, 2018

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

Not Operator posted:

A nice thing about movies is that you aren't subject to dogshit descriptive writing.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Not really but when you write and direct you can do as you please.

Yeah things are a little looser when you're writing it...for yourself.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Tarantino's scripts can be p prose-y, too. I think it's a side effect of being a writer/director. It's kind of like storyboarding it out in the scripting phase.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

esperterra posted:

Tarantino's scripts can be p prose-y, too. I think it's a side effect of being a writer/director. It's kind of like storyboarding it out in the scripting phase.

One thing I used to do was describe the camera work in my scripts, which helped but aren't so fun to read. Oddly enough, not doing that helped me write a bit better because I cared more about the characters and emotions over the visuals.

But sometimes you gotta do it because it just won't make sense without it. And it's my script and i'm funding it so gently caress you!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, same. I can be a bit overly wordy when I'm doing a script too, but I usually have the shots all sorted in my head as I'm writing. It definitely flows better when you focus just on the dialogue and characters, tho.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

jj abrams scripts are terrible. his descriptions are just bizarre - his superman script is a great example.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Shane Black’s The Predator script would annoy the gently caress outta those people who who always judge scripts solely based on the rules. Like camera angles, talking to the audience ect.

It’s really funny at times too. I like when Shane talks to me in the scripts.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Witchfinder General

Only Shane Black can do that , if anyone else holy poo poo is it loving awful

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

idk Tarantino's Kill Bill script is a blast to read.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

davidspackage posted:

There were elements that Portman's family refused to do and on the commentary Reno talks about how some elements sat uneasy with him (And played Leon as slow so that he would appear more innocent).

Groovelord Neato posted:

jj abrams scripts are terrible. his descriptions are just bizarre - his superman script is a great example.

Eh that script was also a first draft. His SUPER 8 script is in a pretty different style to that.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The major rule with scripts is that you're writing to convey information to a limited audience- directors, producers, actors, etc. Informality, like the kind of stuff Shane Black does, can work, because he's still getting across what needs to be shown. (The Lethal Weapon script describes a character's house as being "like the kind I'll buy when I sell this script", which is a nice little bit.)

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
Reminder that here's how Shane Black wrote a sex scene in his LAST BOY SCOUT script.

quote:

INT. DINGY DRESSING ROOM - NIGHT

Cory and Jimmy are engaged in very hot sex.
This is not a love scene; this is a sex scene.
Sigh. I'm not even going to attempt to write this
quote-unquote "steamy" scene here, for several good
reasons:

A) The things that I find steamy are none of your drat
business, Jack, in addition to which --

B) The two actors involved will no doubt have wonderful,
highly athletic ideas which manage to elude most
fat-assed writers anyhow, and finally --

C) My mother reads this poo poo. So there.

(P.S.: I think we lost her back at the Jacuzzi blowjob
scene.)

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
drat, Shane Black is amazing. I was a little wistful and a little angry after both Kiss Kiss Bang Bang and The Nice Guys, after enjoying them as much as I did, and realizing how much I wish I could write like that.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So is it safe to assume that every single actress during the Golden Age of Hollywood was at some point sexually assaulted by a sleazy studio executive?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I want to post excerpts from The Predator script but I have to think that’s mega illegal, so remind me later when it’s released and I’ll throw up some of my favorite bits.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Shane Black is a treasure and apparently much nicer than Luc Besson. FFS, Luc.

It's one of those things where it's really not surprising, but I was kind of hoping every red flag was somehow wrong.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

So is it safe to assume that every single actress during the Golden Age of Hollywood was at some point sexually assaulted by a sleazy studio executive?

It's difficult to imagine what the interactions with Mae West would have been like.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
If you go back to the start of his thread I posted a snippet of an article where Maureen O' Hara makes it abundantly clear she don't play that poo poo. Which is hella commendable, but it's hosed up to think that she was able to do that in part because of her friendship with John Wayne (A lot of people assume they were married because of their crazy chemistry, they weren't), because the studios didn't dare piss him off.

That said, I don't want to take too much away from her own ability to stand up for herself, because a) By all accounts she was fiery as hell and didn't tolerate bullshit lightly and b) She was a huge draw on her own, which probably influenced decision making on the part of the studios.

Here's the quote from the article

quote:

She believed that her squeaky-clean lifestyle took its toll on her career.[93] She once said, "I'm a helpless victim of a Hollywood whispering campaign. Because I don't let the producer and director kiss me every morning or let them paw me they have spread around town that I am not a woman, that I am a cold piece of marble statuary" and "I wouldn't throw myself on the casting couch, and I know that cost me parts. I wasn't going to play the whore. That wasn't me".[228][229] She vented her frustration on not being given edgier roles in an interview with The Los Angeles Times, saying "Producers look at a pretty face and think: 'She must have got this far on her looks'. Then comes along a girl with a plain face and they think, 'She must be a great actress, she isn't pretty'. So they give her the glamour treatment and the pretty girl gets left behind".

drat. Just layin' all the cards on the table, right there.

There's also this quote, which is certainly somehting

quote:

"There's only one woman who has been my friend over the years, and by that I mean a real friend, like a man would be. That woman is Maureen O'Hara. She's big, lusty, absolutely marvelous—definitely my kind of woman. She's a great guy. I've had many friends, and I prefer the company of men. Except for Maureen O'Hara".
—John Wayne on O'Hara

She also ruled in Only the Lonely, which is actually the only movie with her in it I've seen that didn't have Wayne in it (my Dad was a big John Wayne fan, I like only 3 Wayne movies, really: The Searchers, McLintock!, and The Quiet Man).

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:22 on May 21, 2018

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Sigh.

http://www.cracked.com/blog/6-23metoo-accused-who-are-already-making-their-comebacks/

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

well this article is batshit insane

Bill O'Reilly posts dog pictures on Instagram- clearly a plot to worm his way back into our hearts!

Louis CK DARES GO OUTSIDE- WHAT A MONSTER!

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

I think it’s seriously more batshit to think these aren’t carefully planned and executed publicity stunts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
O'Reilly knows he's just waiting out the clock. At some point in the next 6-12 months some network will deem him rehabilitated and he'll start pulling in millions again(not that he needs it). The people who consume his product don't give a poo poo about Me Too, as soon as the heat dies down he'll be right back at it.