Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Boxturret posted:

bitcoin is an anagram for bcash is the coolest invention of nakamoto

:argh: THATS NOT WHAT ANAGRAM MEANS :argh:

:wrong::wrong::wrong:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

...! posted:

:argh: THATS NOT WHAT ANAGRAM MEANS :argh:

:wrong::wrong::wrong:

thanks for the grammar lesson, professor mcnerd

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

...! posted:

thanks for the grammar lesson, professor mcnerd

:wrong:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

Instead of spending $1000 to buy a new iphone every year, I am asking my friends to buy 0.1 bitcoin instead, to save their future. (self.Bitcoin)
submitted 2 hours ago by kadudu888redditor for 5 days

Some listened, some didn't.
Each one who listened is one person saved.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

acronym, and that would spell bitcion

checks out

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

:notacult:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Sham bam bamina! posted:

acronym, and that would spell bitcion
that's why it's an anagram. try to keep up.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Splicer posted:

this guy gets it

Sono
Apr 9, 2008

bcash stands for "bcash is not cash"

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Bcash Can Also Suck Hard.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Splicer posted:

ah, the ol' slippery Double Wordplay... i have been bested :negative:

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
bcash what bitcan't

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
my friend just found out that the normally Windows-only consultant that their employer uses to janitor all of the computers in one of their offices has it written into his contract that he can use any and all client machines to mine bitcoin and he gets to keep it.
Fortunately he knows absolutely nothing about Macs, so that isn't a problem with them.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
One can only hope one day one of those cryptomining programs switches over to crypto trojan and causes all his clients computers to get crypto extorted.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
check it out, "bitcoin" is actually a palindrome

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Jimmy Carter posted:

my friend just found out that the normally Windows-only consultant that their employer uses to janitor all of the computers in one of their offices has it written into his contract that he can use any and all client machines to mine bitcoin and he gets to keep it.
Fortunately he knows absolutely nothing about Macs, so that isn't a problem with them.

who the gently caress lets someone put a clause like that in their contract? can't be a fellow cryptocultist because then they'd try doing this themselves. and i assume a sane person would just laugh at your face

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

who the gently caress lets someone put a clause like that in their contract? can't be a fellow cryptocultist because then they'd try doing this themselves. and i assume a sane person would just laugh at your face

Nobody reads contracts.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

gschmidl posted:

Nobody reads contracts.

any deal bigger than about 10k in b2b enterprise sales land, that loving contract gets loving read

employing a peep costs more than that always, so i don't know why peeps don't read contracts

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

bob dobbs is dead posted:

any deal bigger than about 10k in b2b enterprise sales land, that loving contract gets loving read

employing a peep costs more than that always, so i don't know why peeps don't read contracts

Counterpoint: bitcoin

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

why are you mad it says right here in the contract that while i have your car to fix it i can use it to haul manure

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Hey, filthy nocoiners! I'm foolishly attempting to write a post answering bad excuses for why Proof of Work is good actually.

What are some terrible excuses for Proof of Work you've heard? Preferably with a link to the excuse in question.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

the one that says that using all the energy is good because it necessitates the creation of clean free energy

its quite old but ive seen variations of it recently, it seems quite popular

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

bob dobbs is dead posted:

i mean at my last company the lawyer we had on staff to read contracts was... kinda an idiot, and i would go through and read the contracts myself just for fun because i'm that kind of weirdo that reads ToS'es and often find insane bullshit in there he missed (like how one thing required us to use the "industry standard encryption" of [single] DES with "no greater than" a 56 bit key so it can be exported, presumably because this was written in 1980 and then never, ever updated)

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Proof of Work is better than Proof of Stake because Proof of Stake shares abbreviation with Piece of poo poo, while Proof of Work shares abbreviation with Prisoner of War.

jimmyjams
Jan 10, 2001

King Kong of Megadongs
Gobblin' them mega schlongs
Makin' sure they mega long
Stroke' 'em if they mega strong
shitcoin

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Boxturret posted:

the one that says that using all the energy is good because it necessitates the creation of clean free energy

its quite old but ive seen variations of it recently, it seems quite popular

yeah, i think this is my favorite one and i see it all the time lately

bitcoiners are helping the environment by creating tons of greenhouse gases because it forces the energy companies to figure out clean energy asap

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

not directly pow but i've seen the "if you're gonna count all the energy that mining wastes then all the bank branches, etc. offset that!" in the actual wild

mind you the person that says that is immediately laughed out of the room but somehow a lot of idiots still make that claim

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

kw0134 posted:

not directly pow but i've seen the "if you're gonna count all the energy that mining wastes then all the bank branches, etc. offset that!" in the actual wild

mind you the person that says that is immediately laughed out of the room but somehow a lot of idiots still make that claim

wait like a real flesh and blood human used their mouth to say that argument to actual real people? :pwn:

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

yes, and the moment he opened his mouth he knew he was in loving trouble

evangelical bitcoiners are really stupid it seems who knew

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

kw0134 posted:

if you're interacting with people like that you might want to just like, print out a copy of a few large banks' ecological impact reports that actually show how much energy they use because I get the feeling that if a bitcoiner actually saw that that was a real piece of information that exists and not just an imaginary unquantifiable number like they think it is it would make their head explode

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

kw0134 posted:

bitcoiners are really stupid it seems who knew

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ate all the Oreos posted:

if you're interacting with people like that you might want to just like, print out a copy of a few large banks' ecological impact reports that actually show how much energy they use because I get the feeling that if a bitcoiner actually saw that that was a real piece of information that exists and not just an imaginary unquantifiable number like they think it is it would make their head explode

ah, but if you print out reports you're using paper which is bad for the environment and therefore you are now the bad guy! the tables have turned motherfucker!

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
just posted the proper version of my question to /r/buttcoin:

I'm 2000 words into a blog post on excuses for why the self-evidently terrible process of Proof-of-Work is stupid, and I'm after butters' excuses for why it's good actually.

The hard part is that I really need ones that are from noteworthy butters - random bozos talking rubbish are too easily deniable.

So far I have:

* security of the chain. (Could use Antonopoulos, he's a bit glib though.) This ignores the security of everything around the chain, which is of course what hackers and crooks have had startling success attacking, because nobody attacks a system at its most secure point.

* decentralisation, which failed by early 2014. When pushed, they retreat to some element of decentralisation as the justification, e.g. miners can't issue money willy-nilly like those central banks totally do. (Again, I need a noteworthy arguer.)

* Nick Szabo, in "Money, blockchains, and social scalability": Spending all that electricity on Bitcoin is like spending computing power on nice user interfaces - Bitcoin allows global social coordination like nothing before it! You might think that the Internet is what allows that. Szabo concedes this, then outlines how money would have to work on the Internet to be any good and, coincidentally, what he describes closely matches Bitcoin! Thus, Bitcoin justifies the energy spent on Bitcoin.

* Saifedean Ammous says we need PoW to make Bitcoin hard money in an Austrian jargon sense, which is intrinsically good and you must be some sort of Keynesian pervert if you disagree. And it's not a "waste" because people were willing to spend the money.

* Andreas Antonopoulous ignored PoW in The Internet of Money, but by Volume 2 he couldn't ignore it, and gives it a chapter: Bitcoin is not merely tamper-evident but tamper-proof. Therefore it is a perfect unalterable historical record, and giving us this is why PoW is good. He ignores that the thing it's a perfect record of is SatoshiDice spam and prosecution futures, because blockchains don't scale to actually useful information.

* "But what about the entire financial system and everyone in it?" I did some really quick and casual numbers on this and worked out that at the present cost per transaction, Bitcoin would have to use something like 40% of all energy (not just electricity) to equal the financial system's transaction rate.

* I've got a pile of crappy cites on the argument that using all the energy is good because it necessitates the creation of clean energy, and so advances research into clean energy. Bitcoiners keep raising this one to me and showing they're bad at standards of evidence - the most solid I have so far is Ari Paul saying he knows someone who bought a pile of solar panels to fuel a mining operation.

* I've seen nothing addressing the problem that PoW is motivated to be anti-efficient - to use more electricity for the same transaction rate - whereas everything that butters compare it to, is motivated to keep its electricity costs as low as possible. Has anyone seen butters mention this?

There must be others. What stupid arguments have particularly impressed you?

>Food 200 Acres remaining arable land
Data 100 zettabytes public ledger
Breathable Air 100 km^3
Dyson Sphere Cryptomining 380 yottawatts
Laborers 2 million
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my planet is dying
— comedyblissoption

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

ate all the Oreos posted:

if i had to interact with people like that often i'd rather take the unused ream of paper in the copy station and beat them about the head and neck until they shut up, then at least i can still use the paper for printing afterwards

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

divabot posted:

>Food 200 Acres remaining arable land
Data 100 zettabytes public ledger
Breathable Air 100 km^3
Dyson Sphere Cryptomining 380 yottawatts
Laborers 2 million
Ron Paul Funeral City, 350000000 dead.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Boxturret posted:

wait like a real flesh and blood human
Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Jimmy Carter posted:

who is stupider, the company that doesn't read contracts or the janitor who risks his livelihood for the penny shavings he's mining from office PC hardware?

divabot posted:

* I've seen nothing addressing the problem that PoW is motivated to be anti-efficient - to use more electricity for the same transaction rate - whereas everything that butters compare it to, is motivated to keep its electricity costs as low as possible. Has anyone seen butters mention this?

if the goal is to educate and change minds then this is the point to hit hard. i've found that a ton of less-technical ppl assume, implicitly or explicitly, that bitcoin "is new and complicated" and therefore energy use will be reduced over time via better algorithms and moore's law, b/c that's how poo poo normally works with computers. you should definitely explicitly refute this.

divabot posted:

I did some really quick and casual numbers on this and worked out that at the present cost per transaction, Bitcoin would have to use something like 40% of all energy (not just electricity) to equal the financial system's transaction rate.

on the flip side i would recommend against this problematic argument. the logic of this calculation only works under the incorrect assumption that bitcoin power use is correlated to processing of bitcoin transactions. as you know, bitcoin isn't scalable for completely separate reasons

idk if this is within the scope of your planned post, but when pressed on the environmental impact, some blockchain true-believers admit that, sure, PoW is terrible, but that's ok b/c it will soon be replaced by PoS or some other vaporware solution.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
I don't have examples of pro-PoW arguments, but I do think emphasizing the forking issue would also help- it's relatively straightforward.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

bitcoin uses 7.7 gw per year
the internet uses 8

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

a small price to pay for the huge economic benefits worldwide

such as paying off ransomware and