Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I grew up with the original Teen Titans and I don't particularly care for Go, but its my Niece's favorite show so whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I grew up with the first run of batman cartons from the 90s so that obviously colours my perception but I never cared much for the anime wannabe teen titans. I'm sure it's fine but the way the fanbase talks you'd think it was the greatest television program that ever happened, and therefore Go is an atrocity for besmirching it's good name.

Go is a show that needed to happen or else DC would be nothing but a grimdark wankfest. It's a total pisstake on DC and it is wonderful for that. Not that I think Cartoon network playing 18 hour blocks of the show on repeat is a good thing, mind you

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I feel like the Lego Batman movie filled that role for me.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/ElfGrove/status/997616125356605440

Pretty much sums it up, using like, at best maybe two cartoons from the same studio that have similar looks as proof that basically animation sucks now because everyone uses the same style is real dumb when we're actually in an incredibly diverse time for animation style.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Yeah, there’s always going to be good stuff around if you know where to look. A lot of the things we regard as classics now were actually kind of obscure back in the day. Who knows which of today’s shows will be remembered in another twenty years once all the trend-hopping crap gets forgotten?

This discussion has reminded me that I should check out the Voltron remake at some point.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

There was an episode of the Pizza Party Podcast where a guest explained the "Calarts" style in that a lot of modern animators are influenced from the Simpsons and that artstyle and if you compare Steven Universe and Star Vs to the Simpsons the influences are so obvious.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

sexpig by night posted:

https://twitter.com/ElfGrove/status/997616125356605440

Pretty much sums it up, using like, at best maybe two cartoons from the same studio that have similar looks as proof that basically animation sucks now because everyone uses the same style is real dumb when we're actually in an incredibly diverse time for animation style.

It's less the artstyle itself, and more that it's used for that particular franchise that's getting the fanbase pissy. Having the creator apparently call it a love letter to the original series isn't doing them any favours either.

At the end of the day, it'll probably still do its job and keep kids entertained for half an hour though.

Bakeneko posted:

This discussion has reminded me that I should check out the Voltron remake at some point.

It's actually pretty solid show and well worth checking out.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 17:20 on May 20, 2018

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
still waiting on Teen Titans Go! Nagai

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

One of the things that is getting me on this ordeal is that after days of spamming That loving Picture Of The Beans With Smiles as evidence, spamming the trailer with how the character creator is a beta soy whatever and posting on how the Cartoon Networks Burbank Building should have been hit by flames of the California fires from months back, when said artists finally went "Ok everything is bullshit" the general response to weep on how Actually Their Criticism Of Them Being Subhuman Soy-Dick Felatting Degenerates That Are Ruining Art was done totally in fairness and really people are just being way too aggro. As if looking at someone's twitter feed and scrolling a few posts down to check if someone's doing that """"""""""""legit, 100% professional criticism of testosterone count ∝ quality of animation of a cartoon for children""""""""""" is being done in good fate is obsessive. Christ.

Gaming Hell is 10 years old today and they had a feature on New Zealand Adventure today!

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FoldableHuman posted:

Excuse me. Lana is *not* Amy's mother, she is an employee of some vague description working at The Center who kidnap-slash-rescues Amy on Christmas Eve because she doesn't think Amy should be just-a-test-subject, so she's taking her to see her friend Ellen at St. John's Hospital in Silver City so Ellen can run a bunch of tests on her.

That shares a lot of similarities to the plot of The Last of Us, which is often held up as the pinnacle of the Dad Game Genre even though Joel isn't Ellie's father. So if TLoU counts, so should Amy.

Besides, the sequel to Amy reveals that Lana is her mother! Shocked you haven't played it, honestly.

Kunster posted:

One of the things that is getting me on this ordeal is that after days of spamming That loving Picture Of The Beans With Smiles as evidence, spamming the trailer with how the character creator is a beta soy whatever and posting on how the Cartoon Networks Burbank Building should have been hit by flames of the California fires from months back, when said artists finally went "Ok everything is bullshit" the general response to weep on how Actually Their Criticism Of Them Being Subhuman Soy-Dick Felatting Degenerates That Are Ruining Art was done totally in fairness and really people are just being way too aggro. As if looking at someone's twitter feed and scrolling a few posts down to check if someone's doing that """"""""""""legit, 100% professional criticism of testosterone count ∝ quality of animation of a cartoon for children""""""""""" is being done in good fate is obsessive. Christ.

Typically when I start typing like this, I delete it and go out for a walk instead of posting it.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!

DoubleCakes posted:

There was an episode of the Pizza Party Podcast where a guest explained the "Calarts" style in that a lot of modern animators are influenced from the Simpsons and that artstyle and if you compare Steven Universe and Star Vs to the Simpsons the influences are so obvious.

I always thought Greg reminded me of Homer.

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
I'm sure glad I have you knowledgeable goons to talk about cartoons with. Every time I try to strike up this conversation with my work peers they look at me like I have grown a second head.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think the last kids` cartoon I watched was an episode of Gravity Falls, and while I love Kristen Schaal, that's not enough for me to continue watching a show targeted at children and have really strong opinions about it. Maybe when/if I have my own children and they get to TV-watching age.

FoldableHuman
Mar 26, 2017

SatansBestBuddy posted:

That shares a lot of similarities to the plot of The Last of Us, which is often held up as the pinnacle of the Dad Game Genre even though Joel isn't Ellie's father. So if TLoU counts, so should Amy.

Besides, the sequel to Amy reveals that Lana is her mother! Shocked you haven't played it, honestly.

I'm not sure if this spoiler is a joke or if I've somehow missed the follow up to Paul Cuisset's opus.

Also I'm not sure anyone needs to bother spoilering anything about Amy.

Also oh god I need to keep working on my GDQ presentation and not hyperventilate.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
She's too much Louise for me so I feel that would color my view of Mabel if I ever watched Gravity Falls.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
My problem with the new Thundercats show isn't that it's an insult to the original series, but rather that CN is trying to replicate TTG's success again (after Ben 10 and Powerpuff Girls) and I feel they are passing over other projects to push this forward.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

My problem with the new Thundercats show isn't that it's an insult to the original series, but rather that CN is trying to replicate TTG's success again (after Ben 10 and Powerpuff Girls) and I feel they are passing over other projects to push this forward.

Well, yeah, but that's pretty much everything in entertainment. Just like the style thing, it's no reason to be mad at the show itself. (And, of course, nothing is a good reason to be mad at the show staff. Unless they collectively lynched your dog or something.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Like many things, give it a few years and history will distill the good cartoons from the bad.

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

The original Thundercats looked just as cheap and lovely as every other 80s cartoon and there's a reason that art style died off

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Nice one Kim, I forgot that this existed.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

https://twitter.com/ContraPoints/status/998271023584894977?s=20

Too late, already named my kid Contra after you.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Nier was hard I mean like, the guy said "hey go fish" so I promptly ran to the pier and started fishing and the game was bugged or something cause it wouldn't let me advance???

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

All hail Contra.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

FoldableHuman posted:

I'm not sure if this spoiler is a joke or if I've somehow missed the follow up to Paul Cuisset's opus.

Also I'm not sure anyone needs to bother spoilering anything about Amy.

Also oh god I need to keep working on my GDQ presentation and not hyperventilate.

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Leal posted:

Nier was hard I mean like, the guy said "hey go fish" so I promptly ran to the pier and started fishing and the game was bugged or something cause it wouldn't let me advance???

You went to the wrong fishing point, you need to go to the beach that is just a bit to the west of that other spot.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

you don't need clinical depression to think the Nier games are brilliant masterpieces

but it sure as hell seems to help

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

David D. Davidson posted:

You went to the wrong fishing point, you need to go to the beach that is just a bit to the west of that other spot.

I think that was :thejoke:

Also, I think that despite the new Thundercats thing looking incredibly ugly and uninspired, I think that's the worst thing I can say about it. I don't have any nostalgia for the original, and yelling at the creators seems like a big waste of time. Maybe if I watched more western animation it'd mean something but eh.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Archer's animation is way less inspired, and I like watching that one. Reminds me that I'm a few seasons behind, I should try and catch up.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Archer's animation is way less inspired, and I like watching that one. Reminds me that I'm a few seasons behind, I should try and catch up.

Same, my friends and I stopped early-mid season 6 for no discernible reason and we keep meaning to go back to it.

The show did some weird things with its animation after a few seasons, like dropping the usually simple animation style to do bigger scenes with sudden CGI, which is the first that I can recall of non-anime cartoon show doing that (probably not the actual first but I can't think of any earlier examples). The end of season 5 does introduce an animation loop that I got a huge kick out of, where they just slap the poo poo out of someone who says/does some dumb poo poo.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
One of my favourite little things in Archer's animation is how much they find to do, in later seasons anyway, with Cyril's glasses. He'll polish them on his shirt, he takes them off to wipe his eyes, they get askew and he corrects them - it just kinda pleases me in general.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The new Thundercats show's problem again isn't really "the style" so much as it's shamelessly taking every popular CN show's "style" bits and blendering them, which happened to turn out a really ugly, uninspired looking creation. That and

Mraagvpeine posted:

It's trying to be yet another whaaaacky reboot and the cat's out of the bag on what they're really shooting for when they still regularly air TTGO for like 12+ hours any given day.

Also notice what shows the bean face gif mostly are and then what's in that picture of "Not everything looks the same now!" A lot of people's deal is just with CN being rear end.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 22:24 on May 20, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I think an issue with a lot of shows nowadays is that they're animated in Flash (or something similar), and while you can still make some pretty impressive stuff with that, it has the problem where the animation can look canned and artificial, and the look of the show is really sterile feeling. EDIT: I'm also guessing that there's probably not as much overseas work done as well, and it's done internally.

I know it's probably not viable nowadays, but the 90s, it seemed like animation hit a pretty nice spot, Disney had stuff like DuckTales and whatnot had a style that seemed like it was a few rungs below an actual feature film.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 22:30 on May 20, 2018

EndOfTheWorld
Jul 22, 2004

I'm an excellent critic! I automatically know when someone's done a bad job. Before you ask, yes it's a mixed blessing.
Cybernetic Crumb
The best thing The Thundercats ever gave us were some world-class outtakes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftU5GfORvH8

Also it'd be nice if people could go back to hating poo poo they see on TV without turning everything into a horrible conspiracy by the nefarious SJWs.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Tired Moritz posted:

just make everything look like voltron

Just make everything Voltron. Give everyone giant robot lions

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Testekill posted:

Just make everything Voltron. Give everyone giant robot lions

I can't think of a show that'd not be improved with robot lion mechs

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

20 years later and Darius Rucker still gets called Hootie and that one guy probably still gets called Sugar Ray if anyone still remembers him. I welcome Ms. Natalie Points to a proud tradition.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

sexpig by night posted:

I can't think of a show that'd not be improved with robot lion mechs

Zoids?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Every version of TMNT would be improved if all four turtles just kinda squished together while Splinter yelled "AND I'LL FORM THE HEAD".

I played a lot of NZ Story as a kid I had no idea there was a Heaven level, let alone multiple.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I would honestly take that calart style or whatever it is over the boring Young Justice style that every action cartoon uses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Zoids, But More