Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Jack won the fight, but round by round a draw is reasonable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
But we're still the best dressed
^^^ :agreed:

I mean if we're using the old Pride FC criteria of who did more to win it more then Jack won hands down but round by round a draw seems fair and-as much as I would hate it because I just don't like Adonis-a Stevenson win is justifiable as well.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

yeah, a draw isn't too bad a decision there considering Adonis banked a good few rounds early

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
i'd be stunned if stevenson wants another 12 of that

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah the fight comes down to who won those early rounds where not much happened. Stevenson was more active so I think you can make the case he deserved those rounds. I think Jack was the better man but I also think a draw's reasonable here.

Marching Powder posted:

i'd be stunned if stevenson wants another 12 of that

Yeah. In a rematch Badou Jack wouldn't spend the first three rounds so tentative and respectful of Stevenson's power.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
I was rooting for stevenson because i wanted crusher to accost him. I thought jack won but im happy for a draw. Great fight.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

david carmichael posted:

I was rooting for stevenson because i wanted crusher to accost him. I thought jack won but im happy for a draw. Great fight.

glad you had fun

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Stevenson's options at this point really are rematch Jack or fight the Kovalev-Alvarez winner. This of course means he's going to fight Porky Medina in 11 months, then the third fight with Fonfara and retire.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
:rip: MMM Whatchya Say

https://twitter.com/MikeCoppinger/status/998010819639099394/video/1

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Lol

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

What can I say, I love Mikael Zewski.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
To answer the question from earlier, the best prospect was probably zewski, but i dont think hes rrally a prospect at this point. Hes solid, but not as varied as he could be to be able to open his opponents more. Patient and solid but unspectacular.

Heron was fun if undisciplined, and his corner looked like a slipknot cover band.

There was some giant canadian billed from "niagra (sic) falls, quebec" who ate a lot of overhand rights and lunging hooks from a fat guy before the fat guy got tuckered out and ate a lot of body shots and quit.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
It should be noted that kane heron is a hometown boy, hailing from canada's capital: etobicoke

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Can't say I really agree with the scoring in this thread. Jack definitely won his rounds in a big way, but he did very little in the first half of the fight and a draw is absolutely fair. I could also see Jack taking it by a round but you can't give up that many rounds and expect to win. I'm maybe a bit swayed by the crowd reaction here, we definitely felt like Adonis was starting to run away with it in 5th and 6th. Jack turned it around in the 7th, but Adonis was still coming back at him. I'm not sure where anybody is getting 8-4 unless you have Jack winning 2 of the first 6 rounds and all of the last 6, which seems a bit unlikely.

Notes on the event:

- Some local guy got lucky and scraped a draw from a fight he may well of lost. His mother was sitting like 5 seats over from me and was in tears about it.

- Floyd came in near our section and everybody lost their minds.

- Most of the sections were closed and there weren't that many people there. The venue was at less than 1/4 capacity.

- Watched a guy in the row in front of me do this vaudeville style thing, where he was trying to get a beer from one of the people walking up the aisle but somehow always got distracted when a guy came by.

- The undercard was bad for the most part

- At some point during the comain I saw some guy streaming a UFC fight on his phone and watching that instead.

- The "Niagra Falls, Quebec" bit was hilarious, and I'm disappointed I got beat to mentioning that.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Fury's opponent is announced. Everyone knew they'd be poo poo but it's a 6' tall 39 year old cruiserweight

https://twitter.com/MTKGlobal/status/998186080267587584?s=19

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Funny, Tyson Fury was just going on about being too big for 6'3 215 pound Tony Bellew. I've never even heard of Seferi; I was actually pulling for Bellew or Shannon Briggs for Fury's comeback fight. This will be a walkover, and I don't see how it even motives Fury to train at all.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Funny, Tyson Fury was just going on about being too big for 6'3 215 pound Tony Bellew. I've never even heard of Seferi; I was actually pulling for Bellew or Shannon Briggs for Fury's comeback fight. This will be a walkover, and I don't see how it even motives Fury to train at all.

Think it's pretty indicative of how his camp feel he's doing. Someone who's been mouthing off about how Parker, Joshua and Wilder aren't fit to be his sparring partner shouldn't be fighting the second best cruiserweight in Albania even if it's after a long lay off. Also massive slap in the face that they weighted till this long to confirm it in order to sell more tickets.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Also massive slap in the face that they weighted till this long to confirm it in order to sell more tickets.

nobody is that unfathomably stupid. the second it was announced everybody assumed bin man. second best cruiserweight in albania actually exceeds my expectations and it is still the worst fight that people will pay money for this year and that includes the potential rampage / 50 cent match.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
Boxings a funny sport, guy works that hard to get a fairly decent record, probably getting paid gently caress all, only to then be sacrificed. Hope he gets a decent pay day!

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Adrien Broner - Not smart?? :thunk:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjIiNX7joC8/?utm_source=ig_share_sheet&igshid=tjgafra09mzc

if you don't want to give AB Instagram traffic he was offered a 3 fight/6.75 million deal from Eddie Hearn and referred to it as a "slave offer"

Edit: And if Al Haymon's is behind this then he's dumb as hell too.

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 23:06 on May 23, 2018

thehappyprince
Apr 4, 2006

Alastair Cock

offering broner 6 million for 3 fights is the real dumb move here let's be real

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

thehappyprince posted:

offering broner 6 million for 3 fights is the real dumb move here let's be real

I like him and yet agree with this.

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Broner is so obviously going to end up broke the second he's done fighting. Probably the biggest knucklehead in boxing.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Also RE: Tyson Fury's comeback I think it's a bit much to expect someone who's coming off a two and half year layoff during which gained about 150 pounds and developed a cocaine addiction to fight anything but a complete waste man. Maybe next fight he can fight like Shannon Briggs or Chris Arreola but the fifth best crusierweight in Moldova or whatever is fine just to see if he can throw a punch without dropping dead the spot

The SituAsian fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 25, 2018

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Well Inoue just blew Jamie McDonnell away in less than 1 round

Bold predicition: he will not only win the WBSS bantamweight championship tournament. He will do so in less than 15 combined rounds

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
spotted the next big eastern european boxing prospect.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Lomachenko suffered a torn labrum against Linares and will have surgery and will likely be out until December at the earliest :ohdear:

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/5/29/17406746/vasyl-lomachenko-to-have-shoulder-surgery

Cigar Aficionado
Nov 1, 2004

"Patel"? Fuck you.
Sounds like a bad tear, and apparently it happened in the second round, which makes his win over Linares that much more impressive. "December" sounds like "out for the rest of 2018" to me. Shame.

In better news, an extension to Callum Smith vs George Groves has been approved by the WBSS; it's being targeted for sometime in September. The laughable alternative would have been for Callum Smith to fight tournament loser Chris Eubank Jr, so thankfully we avoided that joke outcome. Hopefully Groves is fully fit for the fight.

The cruiserweight final involving Oleksandr Usyk and Murat Gassiev (and all 4 major belts) is also on track to happen; date is July 21st. No venue or even country has been finalized yet, though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

The gently caress? That injury is of the type that ruins careers. :ohdear:

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Cigar Aficionado posted:

In better news, an extension to Callum Smith vs George Groves has been approved by the WBSS; it's being targeted for sometime in September. The laughable alternative would have been for Callum Smith to fight tournament loser Chris Eubank Jr, so thankfully we avoided that joke outcome. Hopefully Groves is fully fit for the fight.

The cruiserweight final involving Oleksandr Usyk and Murat Gassiev (and all 4 major belts) is also on track to happen; date is July 21st. No venue or even country has been finalized yet, though.

this is all really sick.

sorry about loma though. hope he comes out of it ok. i would be devastated if he didn't get a couple more scalps to solidify is already outstanding resume

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Cigar Aficionado posted:

Sounds like a bad tear, and apparently it happened in the second round, which makes his win over Linares that much more impressive. "December" sounds like "out for the rest of 2018" to me. Shame.

Being able to keep up his usual movement with only one working knee is some seriously :stare: stuff.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..

Julio Cruz posted:

Being able to keep up his usual movement with only one working knee is some seriously :stare: stuff.

Bro...

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

God drat it. Being from a family of runners means whenever someone talks about labrum injuries I think of knees.

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
Hot diggity dog Showtime is going to be streaming the Fury fight (and Flanagan-Hooker) on Saturday afternoon on YouTube

That sounds you hear is me bejeweling several statues in honor of my main man Stevie Espinoza

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

MrBling posted:

spotted the next big eastern european boxing prospect.

That's a pretty nice punch, hot drat

The SituAsian
Oct 29, 2006

I'm a mess in distress
One person was killed and couple of people shot in Peter Taylor's gym in Ireland (Katie Taylor's father) including him. Apparently it has something to do with a gang war there but being an ignorant American I dont know much about it. Perhaps one of our many esteemed UK posters can enlighten us.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/6/5/17428908/shooting-at-irish-boxing-club-leaves-one-man-dead-two-injured

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

The SituAsian posted:

One person was killed and couple of people shot in Peter Taylor's gym in Ireland (Katie Taylor's father) including him. Apparently it has something to do with a gang war there but being an ignorant American I dont know much about it. Perhaps one of our many esteemed UK posters can enlighten us.

https://www.badlefthook.com/2018/6/5/17428908/shooting-at-irish-boxing-club-leaves-one-man-dead-two-injured

Mack the Knife global was started by the son of one of the biggest gangsters in Ireland. There's been an ongoing gang war between that gang and another that has previously resulted in a boxing related shooting. https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/feb/05/man-shot-dead-at-dublin-boxing-bout-weigh-in

MTK won't give interviews to Irish media because they keep bringing up the gangland connection including pointing out the management buyout isn't as fresh faced as it seems .

Lionel Richie
Nov 14, 2004

Not just one of the biggest gangsters in Ireland, in Europe. The target of the hotel shooting was said gangster's son, Daniel Kinahan, who basically runs the cartel these days, as revenge for him ordering the murder of Gary Hutch, the nephew of well known criminal Gerry Hutch. They didn't see Kinahan when they went into the hotel so they ended up taking out David Byrne, one of his gangster friends. Now the Kinahan lot are out to get anyone with any connection to the Hutch family, plus the dissident IRA types who they teamed up with. It's absolutely mental and they'll probably make a tv series out of the whole thing in a few years.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

Just found this very relevant article from 2017

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/i-can-train-who-i-want-says-pete-taylor-after-kinahan-boxer-link-revealed-35983399.html

"What are you going to do? Shoot me?"
-man who was shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
So I guess Canelo-GGG rematch is off indefinitely. GGG was demanding an even split and apparently that is unreasonable????