Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

no loving music while i'm hiking or i will throw you and your stupid phone off the nearest cliff :colbert:

les stroud brings a harmonica on his adventures to keep boredom away

I was thinking of getting an ocarina

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
bringing a Bluetooth speaker on public lands should be a felony offense

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

lancemantis posted:

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

les stroud brings a harmonica on his adventures to keep boredom away

I was thinking of getting an ocarina

i like les stroud. haven’t watched that show in ages.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

i like les stroud. haven’t watched that show in ages.

he stopped making new episodes cause they're way too hard on him

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Silver Alicorn posted:

he stopped making new episodes cause they're way too hard on him

the real deal. :canada:/:patriot:

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Stymie posted:

it's nice to know that at least some yosposters acknowledge that at a basic level what they do for a living is bad for them and slowly destroying their lives

bad for everyone else, too

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

GameCube posted:

bad for everyone else, too

yes, but baby steps

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

lancemantis posted:

bringing a Bluetooth speaker on public lands should be a capital offense

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
when i was at university i went into the mountains almost every weekend, guiding groups with a club. then i went into research and spent five years touching computers. last year i stopped doing that and now i have a job going into the mountains almost every day, guiding groups

i miss some things about working in research. problems in the mountains tend to be immediate and physical, you don't get much in the way of deep intellectual challenges. i also miss playing with lasers and camera systems that you really need a good research grant to afford. but overall it's been a good move and it's cool to be outside a lot and spend my working hours with a different group of people every day, most of whom are pretty chill because they're on holiday and the kind of people who go into the mountains for fun

here are a few pictures i've taken in the last couple weeks (the one with skis i wasn't working though)

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

lancemantis posted:

having some jams at the beach is good fun

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Stymie posted:

it's nice to know that at least some yosposters acknowledge that at a basic level what they do for a living is bad for them and slowly destroying their lives

the goal is to retire

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

no one wants to hear your chiptunes.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

President Beep posted:

no one wants to hear your chiptunes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR_CU_Ru9ZM

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

speakers at the beach are okay as long as it's the sort of beach where people bbq and party and you aren't blasting it so you can hear your awful taste in music from 500 feet away.

do not bring bluetooth speakers to a rocky beach on a pristine wilderness lake. if you take speakers into the forest or the mountains you are instantly damned for all time

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

first it was "i need to be able to interrupt you, in person, in order to do my job", now this? please gently caress off

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the goal is to retire

the goal is not to destroy your life in pursuit of a meaningless goal, all the while doing irreparable harm to society as a whole

but hey, at least you'll get to enjoy florida post-trump when you finally are able to retire

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
kinda want to sell our condo and live in one of these converted sprinter vans:

https://www.outsidevan.com/

like an extremely bougie jonny290

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
lol

checked out that website and saw a "life is simple in a van" sticker in a van packed to the loving gills with various accessories and accoutrements and possessions

"extremely bougie" is right

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

lol

checked out that website and saw a "life is simple in a van" sticker in a van packed to the loving gills with various accessories and accoutrements and possessions

"extremely bougie" is right

there is no room for clothes or other things you actually need to live, these are rich people toy fantasy vans. this is the van you get if you want to spend a week in it while you are not in your yacht.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
If you want to see someone doing "van living" right, check out Noah Caldwell-Gervais's travelogues:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgC-KCGkMPM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-naJR_rhkUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FD_-b06JJtE

They're long but very good.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
like, if i got a 15x20 climate controlled storage shed and kept all our stuff in it like a giant and well organized closet, then bought a 100k sprinter van, it'd be a fun way to spend a couple years.

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

im the combination sink/toilet

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

there is no room for clothes or other things you actually need to live, these are rich people toy fantasy vans. this is the van you get if you want to spend a week in it while you are not in your yacht.

i get that, i just scoffed at "life is simple in a van" surrounded by extraneous bullshit

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i get that, i just scoffed at "life is simple in a van" surrounded by extraneous bullshit

yeah there's definitely some irony there. everything in life is simple if you can afford a $150,000 weekend sprinter van conversion just to take out mountain biking or kayaking for a weekend i guess

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
i spent a couple hrs the other day going down the rabbit hole of rich people weekend traveler vans and you would not believe the poo poo that is out there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75782uJmxxw

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop
when i win the lottery i am going to buy one of those to store my lotus in and just do the paris-dakar rally route over and over again in it.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
what's the deal with tiny house lust

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

dragon enthusiast posted:

real houses are too hard to buy now.

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

misattribution of depression to an excess of personal possessions rather than personal wealth/employment

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i get the appeal of cutting excess poo poo out of your life and ~*living simply*~ but you dont need to live in a tool shed to get there. i saw a video of a family moving out of a storage container after a year because of how much it sucked

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

it is a lie the baby boomers tell themselves to avoid acknowledging that they have made it impossible for their children to live as well as they did

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
tiny house poo poo has nothing at all to do with cutting down excess or living simply. Its marketing to idiots who don't understand housing same as the organic and non-gmo labels are marketing for idiots who don't understand science or agriculture.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

it is a lie the baby boomers tell themselves to avoid acknowledging that they have made it impossible for their children to live as well as they did

lol no its nothing to do with boomers. its 100% gen x + y

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

big scary monsters posted:

when i was at university i went into the mountains almost every weekend, guiding groups with a club. then i went into research and spent five years touching computers. last year i stopped doing that and now i have a job going into the mountains almost every day, guiding groups

i miss some things about working in research. problems in the mountains tend to be immediate and physical, you don't get much in the way of deep intellectual challenges. i also miss playing with lasers and camera systems that you really need a good research grant to afford. but overall it's been a good move and it's cool to be outside a lot and spend my working hours with a different group of people every day, most of whom are pretty chill because they're on holiday and the kind of people who go into the mountains for fun

here are a few pictures i've taken in the last couple weeks (the one with skis i wasn't working though)

that’s real cool

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon
bump

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

C.H.O.M.E. posted:

kinda want to sell our condo and live in one of these converted sprinter vans:

https://www.outsidevan.com/

like an extremely bougie jonny290

living in an airplane bathroom professionally

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Corla Plankun posted:

first it was "i need to be able to interrupt you, in person, in order to do my job", now this? please gently caress off

you are the reason i want to get out of tech

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

atomicthumbs posted:

i took some photos

cool pic :cool:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Ploft-shell crab posted:

why would i leave the only thing on this planet that loves me, my computer?

:sigh: