Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Solice Kirsk posted:

The huge argument between Roseanne and Dan after his heart attack and he's still eating lovely food was one of the better depictions of an actual spousal fight I've seen. At least from the ones I've seen in real life. It's been a long time since I've seen it, but the only thing missing would have been a young Solice Kirsk and his scared little sister sitting at the top of the stairs listening out of sight and it being about money.

Right up to and including the heart attack season Roseanne is a perfect sitcom and I unironically love it so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Matt Zerella posted:

Right up to and including the heart attack season Roseanne is a perfect sitcom and I unironically love it so much.

I had a co-worker who hated the show because of the way the kids talked back to their parents.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mister Kingdom posted:

I had a co-worker who hated the show because of the way the kids talked back to their parents.

:lol: Darlene had some of the best burns on the show.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Matt Zerella posted:

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Matt Zerella posted:

Darlene is kinda my spirit animal, and it's terrible she's not around as much anymore :allears:

But yeah, one of the big things about the enduring power of this show is that Roseanne and Goodman absolutely nail the feel of a married couple of 15+ years, especially in the serious moments. The blow-ups about money, extra jobs, the kids... they all ring scarily true. The dead silence after Rosie finally hauls off and slaps DJ in "The Driver's Seat"... the way Dan talks about his fears regarding Roseanne's new baby and his voice just breaks... being tormented by their children and tormenting them in return (which leads to some of the best moments)... it really is great TV.

Not so great anymore, I fear. :sigh:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

resurgam40 posted:

Darlene is kinda my spirit animal, and it's terrible she's not around as much anymore :allears:

But yeah, one of the big things about the enduring power of this show is that Roseanne and Goodman absolutely nail the feel of a married couple of 15+ years, especially in the serious moments. The blow-ups about money, extra jobs, the kids... they all ring scarily true. The dead silence after Rosie finally hauls off and slaps DJ in "The Driver's Seat"... the way Dan talks about his fears regarding Roseanne's new baby and his voice just breaks... being tormented by their children and tormenting them in return (which leads to some of the best moments)... it really is great TV.

Not so great anymore, I fear. :sigh:

I like the new season. It'll never approach the golden years of the show and yes, she's absolutely terrible IRL but I've liked the general message of the episodes so far. The Go Cubs episode was great.

E: not to get political but I think there's a lot of lessons to be learned from the original run of the show. And you kind of see a very good portrayal of how things turned out for a lot of those families in the late eighties and through the nineties.

Matt Zerella fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 15, 2018

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Roseanne revival on a joke level is mostly good as hell. Even for me, who hasn't seen the original show, it's like slipping on a pair of comfortable old shoes. It's not always great (the 'Muslims are actually good' episode was way too self-congratulatory for a premise sitcoms have been using for 15 years, obviously the Trump stuff in the premiere, the joke about black-ish/Fresh off the Boat being simply "they're just like us!" and that's it), but it's far better than I was expecting given how lovely Barr is.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Escobarbarian posted:

Roseanne revival on a joke level is mostly good as hell. Even for me, who hasn't seen the original show, it's like slipping on a pair of comfortable old shoes. It's not always great (the 'Muslims are actually good' episode was way too self-congratulatory for a premise sitcoms have been using for 15 years, obviously the Trump stuff in the premiere, the joke about black-ish/Fresh off the Boat being simply "they're just like us!" and that's it), but it's far better than I was expecting given how lovely Barr is.

I think my favorite thing about this season was how the whole Trump thing brought the chuds on board and now they're being exposed to ideas like "gender isn't strictly defined" and "not all Muslims are bad" and a lot of them still toe the line that they love and support the show.

And Jackie/Darlene are still great.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Binged through Evil Genius the other day. I really like the true crime docs Netflix puts out.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Just watched The Rain on Netflix

I thought it was mediocre and, bar one or two, the characters were forgettable. It was competently made but didn't do anything other post-apoc fiction hasn't already done (mid-season episode spoiler: at one point they come across a posh but somewhat foreboding mansion inhabited by very nice welcoming folks. But something is off... yes you guessed it exactly as quickly as I did - they have a cannibal basement where they chop up members of the cult to feed the rest).

The main premise of the apocalypse was pretty ludicrous and easy to poke holes into (what are all the survivors drinking in order to stay hydrated and alive? Where are they getting it from?), requiring a higher-than-average suspension of disbelief in order to buy in, and the dubbing was bad which didn't help. It paced itself well, though, and there was always a thread that kept me going, always another little nugget of info or a brewing situation or somewhere they needed to go that made me put the next episode on.

As an airport-novel-quality post-apocalyptic TV show, I would only recommend The Rain if you've seen everything else you intend to watch and have literally nothing in particular that you need or want to do with your day. I took a break between seasons 1 and 2 of Killjoys to watch it because it looked interesting. I probably should have just carried on watching Killjoys. I'll probably get back to doing just that in a little while, since that's more my kind of trashy cheesy airport-pulp.

Late season mini-spoiler: How in gods name does a yuge, beautiful Wall keep a rain-borne virus in quarantine? I must have misunderstood something about the yuge, beautiful Wall and its purpose.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

I thought it was mediocre and, bar one or two, the characters were forgettable. It was competently made but didn't do anything other post-apoc fiction hasn't already done (mid-season episode spoiler: at one point they come across a posh but somewhat foreboding mansion inhabited by very nice welcoming folks. But something is off... yes you guessed it exactly as quickly as I did - they have a cannibal basement where they chop up members of the cult to feed the rest).

The main premise of the apocalypse was pretty ludicrous and easy to poke holes into (what are all the survivors drinking in order to stay hydrated and alive? Where are they getting it from?), requiring a higher-than-average suspension of disbelief in order to buy in, and the dubbing was bad which didn't help. It paced itself well, though, and there was always a thread that kept me going, always another little nugget of info or a brewing situation or somewhere they needed to go that made me put the next episode on.

As an airport-novel-quality post-apocalyptic TV show, I would only recommend The Rain if you've seen everything else you intend to watch and have literally nothing in particular that you need or want to do with your day. I took a break between seasons 1 and 2 of Killjoys to watch it because it looked interesting. I probably should have just carried on watching Killjoys. I'll probably get back to doing just that in a little while, since that's more my kind of trashy cheesy airport-pulp.

Late season mini-spoiler: How in gods name does a yuge, beautiful Wall keep a rain-borne virus in quarantine? I must have misunderstood something about the yuge, beautiful Wall and its purpose.

Username does not check out.

I thought it was alright, it had a alot of elements that make it difficult to translate and some of the acting was beyond piss poor. But it looked real nice.
I wouldn't be in a hurry to rewatch it though

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

I thought it was alright

Yeah, no more, no less. If you really like post-apocalyptic fiction it's worth watching, if only because you've probably already seen all the decent entries in the genre. Just don't expect this to introduce anything new or push any boundries or anything like that. If a season 2 comes along I'll probably end up watching it. There's certainly potential for The Rain to improve and I believe it will.

Oh and I binged Barry the other day too. Had a lot of :420: that day so I've already forgotten the details, but I remember thinking it was excellent as I was watching it, and I look forward to next year when it comes time to catch up for S2 and I watch it properly without the voluntary memory impairment. Lots of humorous moments, lots of unusually un-glorified ultra-violence (like not, for example, the Banshee type of violence - although there was one moment in the finale which stuck out to me as an uncharacteristically slap-stick depiction of it compared to the rest), lots of "human" moments with good actors, and a nice "ohshit what now?!? :ohdear:" mild cliffhanger to end the season. Someone I saw in another thread (or maybe this one?) compared Barry to The Patriot and I have to agree it feels as though it's in the same space as that show.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cactus posted:

Yeah, no more, no less. If you really like post-apocalyptic fiction it's worth watching, if only because you've probably already seen all the decent entries in the genre. Just don't expect this to introduce anything new or push any boundries or anything like that. If a season 2 comes along I'll probably end up watching it. There's certainly potential for The Rain to improve and I believe it will.

Oh and I binged Barry the other day too. Had a lot of :420: that day so I've already forgotten the details, but I remember thinking it was excellent as I was watching it, and I look forward to next year when it comes time to catch up for S2 and I watch it properly without the voluntary memory impairment. Lots of humorous moments, lots of unusually un-glorified ultra-violence (like not, for example, the Banshee type of violence - although there was one moment in the finale which stuck out to me as an uncharacteristically slap-stick depiction of it compared to the rest), lots of "human" moments with good actors, and a nice "ohshit what now?!? :ohdear:" mild cliffhanger to end the season. Someone I saw in another thread (or maybe this one?) compared Barry to The Patriot and I have to agree it feels as though it's in the same space as that show.

Barry is one the best shows of the year, hands down.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Henry Winkler is a treasure.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Rocksicles posted:

Barry is one the best shows of the year, hands down.

It's good but I'd personally give that honour to Counterpart. Best new show anyway.

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

Finished hate-watching the Netflix Lost in Space reboot. Really stupid. Can pretty much read any post in its thread to understand my feelings about it.

Started on the Punisher series now, it's actually not terrible. Although I did like the one movie with Thomas Jane and Rebecca romijn.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I'm currently binge watching the 2nd Season of 13 Reasons Why because I figured I'd do it before having to listen everyone at work talking about how loving awesome it is only to watch it later and be horribly let down. Currently in episode 8.

I must say, it is fun, but not for the reasons the show producers intended to. Like they structured the episodes around the Baker vs School judge. The Baker's lawyer tells you what we already knew from the previous season, which is a bit cumbersome since it's like getting a constant "Previously on..." every episode, but it doesn't drag on.

And then the School's lawyer starts the questioning revealing "the other side of the story", and boy does the fun start there. I'm calling her SuperLawyer for lack of a better creative nickname. She loving knows everything. SuperLawyer has the script. SuperLawyer goes and ask the witness "Remember that time you were alone in a room in a cabin in the middle of the mountains with Hannah and she said she wanted to kill herself?". SuperLawyer was there.

SuperLawyer also has the power of retcon. Like in the 1st season Hanna left a tape about how everyone ruined her life and when she gets to the asian kid it was because he stole a note from her? Well SuperLawyer actually found out that after that event they started dating and having sex on the regular until asian boy's jerk friends come back and they break up because he is a coward who wants to keep appearances. Wow, that actually sounds like a bigger deal than him just stealing some loving dumb bunny notes, shouldn't you have included that on the tapes Hanna, mm?

Then you have The Counselor who, feeling remorse over his share of the blame from season 1, goes around imparting the fist of justice left and right. Guess the show got some angry calls from schools on how they represented him as incompetent previously, so now they turned him into Batman.

I'mma reserve judgement on it's quality since I haven't finished it yet and I feel the whole thing is aiming for a twist at the end that may work or not, and because I can tell that <They Tried>, especially the actors who are still putting a very good performance for the most part, even if the plots they are given are dumb.

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 19, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
I"m binging Barry. I watched the first five episodes last night, and it's really good.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Alright finished the 2nd season of 13 Reasons Why and uuummm..

Yeah, it's a mess like everyone was expecting, but surprisingly it's less because of the story it's trying to tell, and more because of the direction.

A lot of plots points are introduced as a mistery and are unceremoniously resolved by the character simply stating "It was me, I killed Mufasa". They had an idea of what to do, but not an idea on how to resolve it.

They try to throw some red herrings at the beginning of the season with some new characters, but then they just got lazy or forgot so the characters end up serving no real purpose to the narrative.

The 1st season ended foreshadowing the possible school shooting by Tyler, but then the series begin like 6 months later and they send him in a different character arc, which I thought was really good, until they decided "wait, no, back to Plan A" and bring that arc to a drastic halt. It was not handled in a realistic way, like a hope spot is supposed to. And then they do it a second time in the season finale with an unnecesarily disturbing scene because "hey, last season we had a suicide, how can we shock the audience now?"

A couple of the characters from the 1st season only have protagonism in one episode and then appear as a background event for the rest of it. One that suffers really badly from this is Courtney who on her protagonism episode is rescued from the being the scrappy but is then absent for the most part of the season till a dramatic camera pan reveals that she is actually now friends with everyone and supportive of Jesica's situation (despite a few episodes earlier having her not inviting Jesica to the emergency meeting). But at least she doesn't get it as bad as Marcus, who has a small role in the first half of the season and then literally falls of the planet and is not seen again.

And the social commentary this time around was..ugh. Let me explain it this way. Captain Planet was more subtle about it's environmental aesop, than this season was regarding woman objectification, bullying and sexual harrasment.

So overall, I think that "they tried but they got lazy" is the best way to describe this season.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
The book was a short, simple, and direct story, and in turning it into a series they had to pad it out. Literally every choice they made in padding it out was bad. They made not one productive change to events in their changes. Season 2 would, by nature, be a season of nothing *but* their padding out. I can only applaud you even wading into that clusterfuck, because there was basically no chance of them pulling it off well.

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I"m binging Barry. I watched the first five episodes last night, and it's really good.

It gets stronger as the season progresses; finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

lezard_valeth posted:

I'm currently binge watching the 2nd Season of 13 Reasons Why because I figured I'd do it before having to listen everyone at work talking about how loving awesome it is only to watch it later and be horribly let down. Currently in episode 8.

I must say, it is fun, but not for the reasons the show producers intended to. Like they structured the episodes around the Baker vs School judge. The Baker's lawyer tells you what we already knew from the previous season, which is a bit cumbersome since it's like getting a constant "Previously on..." every episode, but it doesn't drag on.

And then the School's lawyer starts the questioning revealing "the other side of the story", and boy does the fun start there. I'm calling her SuperLawyer for lack of a better creative nickname. She loving knows everything. SuperLawyer has the script. SuperLawyer goes and ask the witness "Remember that time you were alone in a room in a cabin in the middle of the mountains with Hannah and she said she wanted to kill herself?". SuperLawyer was there.

SuperLawyer also has the power of retcon. Like in the 1st season Hanna left a tape about how everyone ruined her life and when she gets to the asian kid it was because he stole a note from her? Well SuperLawyer actually found out that after that event they started dating and having sex on the regular until asian boy's jerk friends come back and they break up because he is a coward who wants to keep appearances. Wow, that actually sounds like a bigger deal than him just stealing some loving dumb bunny notes, shouldn't you have included that on the tapes Hanna, mm?

Then you have The Counselor who, feeling remorse over his share of the blame from season 1, goes around imparting the fist of justice left and right. Guess the show got some angry calls from schools on how they represented him as incompetent previously, so now they turned him into Batman.

I'mma reserve judgement on it's quality since I haven't finished it yet and I feel the whole thing is aiming for a twist at the end that may work or not, and because I can tell that <They Tried>, especially the actors who are still putting a very good performance for the most part, even if the plots they are given are dumb.

My wife and I are on episode 8 and yeah that lawyer is drat good at her job, I need the number of her practice :v:

I half-watched the first season and drat is this show over the top dramatic, though I did genuinely cheer when the crippled kid was arguing with his friend in the locker room and realized that his dick had started working again :buddy:

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Is wormwood any good? Looks pretty interesting.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Cactus posted:

[snip]

and the dubbing was bad which didn't help.

Well that was your first mistake. I just binged it tonight, and found it was indeed a by the numbers post-apoc show hitting all the other points you mentioned. I thought it was competent enough though, and interesting if only because it was a Danish version of a story we've seen from the UK and US a dozen times over. But watching the dubbed version? Yeah, that's going to batter it down from "decently average" to "pile of wet rear end" very quickly.

I'm curious, I've seen other US goons mention to switch to the original audio. Is the dubbed version the one that comes up by default for shows like this and The Dark? In my Netflix region original audio with subs is prioritised, and I'm wondering if people are just hitting play and being given the Bad Version without knowing there's better, or if people are going out of their way to choose a worse version of the show.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, the dubbed version is default on a lot of them. I noticed it with Rain and with that Spanish heist show, both of which I was kind of interested in but skipped once I realized they were dubbed. I guess you have to go and choose the original language and then subtitles to get the original. Which is definitely a preferable option but not one I ever really thought of until you mentioned it.

I'm dumb.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 01:24 on May 20, 2018

mystes
May 31, 2006

My impression was that Netflix keeps track of how you set your language preferences in the past and defaults to that. I could be wrong though.

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, the dubbed version is default on a lot of them. I noticed it with Rain and with that Spanish heist show, both of which I was kind of interested in but skipped once I realized they were dubbed. I guess you have to go and choose the original language and then subtitles to get the original. Which is definitely a preferable option but not one I ever really thought of until you mentioned it.

I'm dumb.

The dubbing on money heist is pretty good I thought. Excpet for that one guy's laugh

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Annual Prophet posted:

It gets stronger as the season progresses; finished it a few days ago and really enjoyed it.

Yeah I just finished it last night. That's probably the best acting that Bill Hader has ever done.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I don't mind subtitles if that's the only option, but I'd rather have a dub (even a not so good one) because orienting my gaze at the bottom of the screen for more than half the time I'm watching causes me to miss some other visual cues that are going on like facial expressions or stuff happening in the background of a scene or whatever. It's just a personal preference.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

For animated I agree but trying to watch a Bergman movie or something dubbed just looks too silly and takes me out of it.

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

misguided rage posted:

The dubbing on money heist

I just don't get it. Why wouldn't you listen it in the original Spanish language? It's part of the charm, part of the characters.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Some people just can’t handle having to read while also having to watch a thing!

Monstaland
Sep 23, 2003

Cactus posted:

I don't mind subtitles if that's the only option, but I'd rather have a dub (even a not so good one) because orienting my gaze at the bottom of the screen for more than half the time I'm watching causes me to miss some other visual cues that are going on like facial expressions or stuff happening in the background

You'll get used to 'snapshot' subtitles for a sec while focussing back on the rest of the screen, I guess that's what happens when you're from a non english speaking country in which subtitles is prefered over dubbing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

God forbid that people should prefer one way of watching foreign films over another.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Klaaz posted:

You'll get used to 'snapshot' subtitles for a sec while focussing back on the rest of the screen, I guess that's what happens when you're from a non english speaking country in which subtitles is prefered over dubbing.

Oh I know, I used to watch tonnes of those Tartan Asia horror films with subs like the ring and the eye and all that just fine. I just prefer not having to do that if the option not to is there. And since whatever language the film is in isn't one I know (unless it's in French), I gain nothing from hearing it in its "natural form" because I don't understand any of the linguistic nuance to anything they're saying.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I don't really watch any animated stuff. I imagine dubbing wouldn't bother me near as much with them since my real hangup with it is that it takes me entirely out of the acting performance and character. Since there's no actor on screen in an animated thing I guess that's not really a problem. Dubbing just means the words might not match up perfectly with the animated lip movement and i can't imagine it does anyway.

For actual live stuff it just really takes away from the actors, I think, and becomes a much bigger distraction to me than subtitles. I also watch things usually on a raised tv so subtitles aren't really an issue since I'm looking up slightly at the screen so I can see them and still have the rest of the image in my clear view.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Ha, this discussion reminds me of when I binged all of Narcos S1 in one day last year and felt mentally drained after. If you're not used to doing it, reading that amount of subtitles in one go can take it out of you!

misguided rage
Jun 15, 2010

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Klaaz posted:

I just don't get it. Why wouldn't you listen it in the original Spanish language? It's part of the charm, part of the characters.

I usually have TV on in the background while I'm doing other things so having to read subtitles doesn't work too well

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I kind of consider that a bonus of subtitles. Forces me to put my phone down and relax and pay attention.

Like, right now I'm literally on the internet, eating, and watching two different games. Subtitles sometimes serve as a miracle to make me focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I try not to be judgmental about how other people enjoy stuff, but it's my birthday and I'm feeling old so I just need to do one "old man shouts at cloud" post to get it out of my system.

I am a little salty about it because this attitude cost me money back in the '90s. Back then it was people choosing pan and scan movies because "I don't like the black bars" on original aspect ratio films made the default format 4:3 and then the letterbox versions would be sold separately (if at all) at a substantial markup. I remember multiple times paying 17 quid for a film that was already in the discount bins on pan and scan VHS because that's how it worked. When audio and subs (if any) had to be hardcoded for one version only, you got whatever version they put out and lumped it. Literally had to wait years for the DVD era to hit so I could see some films and shows in the original language, because only the dubbed version was put out on VHS.

Even into the DVD era when original aspect ratio was mostly (but not always) the default, and 16:9 TVs were starting to become commonplace, you'd get crusty old parents setting their older TVs to zoom in and cut off the picture because (again) "I don't like the black bars". They're the same people who these days have motion smoothing turned on and refuse to turn it off. People choose dubbed versions, people choose to leave on motion smoothing, people chose to cut off part of the picture.

I also have a little salt about it because it leads to pointless English language remakes, like Quarantine which is a shot for shot version of REC. But REC was made with a more naturalistic style, where they'd not tell the cast some of the stuff that was going to happen to get authentic surprised reactions. A thing you lose entirely when the films is just relegated to the status of a fancy set of a storyboards for a remake. I just wonder what that time and money could have achieved creating something new, rather than making a worse version of a thing that already existed, and how many people wasted their time and money watching that worse version of a thing that already existed not knowing they'd been sold a fake

At least these days you can do you, and the rest of us aren't affected by it. But having lived through the times when that attitude of yours COST ME EXTRA MONEY AND/OR TIME to get around just to enjoy some art properly then hell yeah I get some grumpy old man 'Nam flashbacks to the bad days. You weren't there man. You weren't there. It loving sucked.