Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

If you think Ayton is the better prospect (and I'm not arguing he is) then it would be stupid to draft Doncic just because of the coach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

WhyteRyce posted:

If you think Ayton is the better prospect (and I'm not arguing he is) then it would be stupid to draft Doncic just because of the coach
I just think it would be stupid to specifically hire that coach if you didn’t want to draft Doncic if he was available (unless he has dirt on him or something). The NBA is a constant battle for information, he will have more information about Doncic than the Suns have about any other prospect, except maybe Ayton because of Sarver, but the Slovenian guy already knows how to work with and plug Doncic into a system. They just need to bring back Anthony Randolph now

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

straight up brolic posted:

I just think it would be stupid to specifically hire that coach if you didn’t want to draft Doncic if he was available (unless he has dirt on him or something). The NBA is a constant battle for information, he will have more information about Doncic than the Suns have about any other prospect, except maybe Ayton because of Sarver, but the Slovenian guy already knows how to work with and plug Doncic into a system. They just need to bring back Anthony Randolph now

It's 2018, teams have all the info they could ever want

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

They maybe would be more willing to take him if they ended up #2? It's not like Doncic was the #1 guy on everyone's boards.

"Sorry Igor, we think you're the best coach on the market, but it's possible we might get the #1 pick and ALSO it's possible that we might like Ayton more, so we don't think we should hire you since you coached the guy for a little while. So anyway, we're hiring Vinny Del Negro."

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Jonathan Giovany says Doncic could fall:

quote:

The growing consensus among NBA decision-makers in attendance at Stark Arena in Belgrade is that the teams drafting behind the Phoenix Suns at No. 1, the Sacramento Kings and Atlanta Hawks are likely to pass on European prodigy in favor of American frontcourt players. The question remains whether a team will trade up into the top three to snag Doncic, or if he will fall to the No. 4 (Memphis) or even the No. 5 pick (Dallas) after being heavily scouted in the Euroleague playoffs against Panathinaikos and mostly struggling.

I get that there are legit question marks around Doncic but it seems crazy to pick a dude like Bagley over him (assuming that's one of the players Sacramento/Atlanta are considering)

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

xbilkis posted:

Jonathan Giovany says Doncic could fall:

I get that there are legit question marks around Doncic but it seems crazy to pick a dude like Bagley over him (assuming that's one of the players Sacramento/Atlanta are considering)

I don't see how he falls past 4.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Spacebump posted:

I don't see how he falls past 4.

Please lord

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Dallas would be a really good spot for him but yeah can't imagine Memphis passing. Though I guess I don't really know why any of the top 3 would pass either

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

luca will inexplicably fall to 7 where the bulls will pass on him to take grayson allen

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Sacramento's front office has been relatively tight ever since Vlade purged PDA, so I don't think anyone actually has a source close enough to the decision makers.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Also Vlade drafted that garbage player Justin Jackson, ignoring his lack of athleticism, skill, and basketball player ability because he was a winner and we needed a SF. So I doubt Vlade passes on Doncic because he all of a sudden cares about burst

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

WhyteRyce posted:

Sacramento's front office has been relatively tight ever since Vlade purged PDA, so I don't think anyone actually has a source close enough to the decision makers.

Any Sacramento leaks are discovered by a reporter hiding in the bushes near where Vlade smokes his cigarettes.

Algund Eenboom
May 4, 2014

The leaks are actually from knightman

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jonathan Givony is an idiot wee man motherfucker. I would bet that he has no idea what “league executives” think and is pawning off his own opinion, exactly like he did with Ben Simmons/Brandon Ingram

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

Lockback posted:

They maybe would be more willing to take him if they ended up #2? It's not like Doncic was the #1 guy on everyone's boards.

"Sorry Igor, we think you're the best coach on the market, but it's possible we might get the #1 pick and ALSO it's possible that we might like Ayton more, so we don't think we should hire you since you coached the guy for a little while. So anyway, we're hiring Vinny Del Negro."
I think the connection between Doncic and the new Suns coach is a little overblown. He coached him for exactly one tournament - its not like Igor is his godfather and mentored him from the age of 10 or something.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jonathan Givony is an idiot wee man motherfucker. I would bet that he has no idea what “league executives” think and is pawning off his own opinion, exactly like he did with Ben Simmons/Brandon Ingram

He's more likely to be right with Euro prospects usually

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

I think that they thought he is a good coach that would be the perfect fit to handle Doncic IF they did indeed win the lottery. The point isn’t that they hired him because of Doncic, the point is that it would be a ridiculous move to hire him and then not take Doncic #1 (especially considering that Ayton is David Robinson on offense and Chriss on defense).

E: also i forget but handchecking is either officially or tacitly allowed in Euroleague as long as you’re not ridiculous with it, so it’s hard to see how burst and stuff translates

It's really absurd that someone like Ayton doesn't play defense, he'd only need to get in the way. Bagley could plead bad teaching and that he tries at the point of attack, but drat.

Doncic has talked in interviews about his lack of burst, if I'm not imagining it. We've seen him against non-handcheck defenses in the Olympics looking great, but not fast. I don't know if I remember anyone coming from Europe and being more athletic than the general scouting consensus.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
That is the problem in totality, is that Ayton, especially fresh into college, moves around a lot on defense, but moves to the wrong place. I mean in the switch-heavy NBA maybe it won't even stand out as much but in the relatively set defensive world of Pac-12 basketball it was really ridiculous looking. Ayton did make progress as the season progressed, it seems someone did in fact say "hey maybe just hang out by the rim" which makes me think it's not hopeless. The engagement wasn't always there, but the Oregon game in particular makes me think the defensive potential is there (the game after the 100k story dropped), because he just locked the rim down. Although that game maybe shows why he doesn't actually defend that much, because he gassed out around halfway into the second half.

I agree, Brolic, that the hire certainly says Doncic, and that Givony is full of poo poo, also, but if Gambadoro is saying at least right now it's Ayton, then, well, it's probably true; dude has a super consistent track record with Phoenix Suns leaks. Also no way cheap rear end Sarver gave UA 100K, lol.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Rick posted:

That is the problem in totality, is that Ayton, especially fresh into college, moves around a lot on defense, but moves to the wrong place. I mean in the switch-heavy NBA maybe it won't even stand out as much but in the relatively set defensive world of Pac-12 basketball it was really ridiculous looking. Ayton did make progress as the season progressed, it seems someone did in fact say "hey maybe just hang out by the rim" which makes me think it's not hopeless. The engagement wasn't always there, but the Oregon game in particular makes me think the defensive potential is there (the game after the 100k story dropped), because he just locked the rim down. Although that game maybe shows why he doesn't actually defend that much, because he gassed out around halfway into the second half.

I agree, Brolic, that the hire certainly says Doncic, and that Givony is full of poo poo, also, but if Gambadoro is saying at least right now it's Ayton, then, well, it's probably true; dude has a super consistent track record with Phoenix Suns leaks. Also no way cheap rear end Sarver gave UA 100K, lol.
That's the 'potential' that had him pinned at number one until more rumblings came out. I hope he can just stick by the rim and use his huge body, Joel Embiid can do it, he was a volleyball player, it's not that hard. Kolton Iverson can do it in Spain.

I don't know the details so I'm going to keep bullshitting, but it's possible that Sarver's gift was similar to a lot of the huge gifts that University of Michigan gets from alumni that exist as tax shelters and end up benefitting them in dollar value more than the university, it gets its name on some illiquid asset, the university for some reason lets itself be used as a place to park money, I wouldn't correlate that with skyrocketing university administration salaries

https://www.freep.com/story/news/local/michigan/2017/08/27/stephen-ross-tax-break-gift-michigan/563170001/

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 08:16 on May 21, 2018

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I don't know much about that, I just thought Brolic was insinuating that the alleged cash to pay for Ayton to go to Arizona was from Sarver; I know nothing for fact either, but Sarver doesn't seem very interested in Arizona athletics.

Sarver does have a hospital building on campus so I wouldn't be surprised if the rest of that article was true.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Oh I was just making a joke about UA paying Ayton, don’t know one way or the other

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I admit that I don't watch a lot of NCAA, but I watch European basketball and passing on Doncic seems insane to me. That guy is doing things as a teenager that are utterly ridiculous. There's a part of me that hopes teams are dumb, so Doncic falls to Memphis and can team up with Gasol to wreck poo poo.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Jan Vesely would be NPOY if he played in college next year

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Jan Vesely would be NPOY if he played in college next year

Even 18 year old Vesely who couldn't do anything but dunk might be able to next year, next year's draft is gonna suck rear end.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

The dunking ninja

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
That sounds real dire.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I mean I don't actually believe that but it's gonna be pretty bad most likely

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/JeremyWoo/status/998574569001771008?s=19

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
That's probably a smart decision for him and I'm glad if he's back at Mizzou, but I also was really hoping the Bulls would be able to snag him at 22 so that's kind of disappointing.

Although the Ringer lends some more credibility to the idea that the Bulls already promised Chandler Hutchison. Gotta keep it in the family

quote:

It’s unclear who made the promise, if one was made at all, but it’s no secret that Hutchison’s agent Mark Bartelstein, the CEO of Chicago-based agency Priority Sports, is a family friend of Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf. The Bulls and Bartelstein have a successful working relationship. Bartelstein has represented a long list of former Bulls, from Steve Kerr and Jud Buechler to Taj Gibson and Bobby Portis, among many others.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Beware the shifting illiquid markets...

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Kyrie 2.0

https://twitter.com/SLAMonline/status/998579803488956417?s=19

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 21, 2018

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Is it nepotism to draft the son of a friend or favortism?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

Is it nepotism to draft the son of a friend or favortism?

Nepotism would be the Bulls drafting a son of a friend or relative.

Favoritism would be the Bulls favoring people who come out of Iowa State University.

Bulls got you covered both ways.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
This is probably the rare case where I think a lot of the sorta borderline late first type guys like Jontay Porter should consider going back and taking advantage of a much weaker class next year but as someone whose team drafts in the late first (and who really likes Porter) I selfishly hope they all stay in

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Are there two players named Porter coming out is Missouri or am I confused?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Are there two players named Porter coming out is Missouri or am I confused?

Brothers infact

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
They also hired an assistant coach named Porter which is definitely just a strange coincidence

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Unrelated

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga
Michael Porter Jr should have gotten 10% of his dad's salary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Is it weird to not be enthralled by Bagley potentially dropping to us? I think I’d rather have Triple J...

Also, reading lots of smokescreens about Doncic dropping out of the top three. There’s no way he gets past Atlanta, right?

• Locked thread