Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

personally i'd rather just play ff6 than play ff14 where they tell me "remember this cool scene in ff6???!?!?!"

so there's this disconnect, where i no longer want to play the game you have to pay for montly, because i'd rather play the game it's referencing for no money at all

Cool, cool

what about the other 95% of the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I just wish FF14 were less a guided tour of setpieces and various other things happening, and allowed for more player-created/focused content.

Themepark MMOs just seem so sterile and same-y, everyone gets the same safe, accessible, non-threatening content, and the only thing you can lose is your time.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I don’t really see there being much difference between 14 having 4 ff6 bosses to fight and ff9 having you fight the ff1 4 fiends. Other than like Kefka but I don’t know if the mere image of Kefka is enough to make me want drop what I’m doing and play ff6 to get more Kefka in a traditional format.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I just wish FF14 were less a guided tour of setpieces and various other things happening, and allowed for more player-created/focused content.

Themepark MMOs just seem so sterile and same-y, everyone gets the same safe, accessible, non-threatening content, and the only thing you can lose is your time.

Final Fantasy: EVE Online would be... something.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I mean it'd be kinda cool if we went back to Ultima Online-style "If you get ganked then gently caress you you probably deserve it you stupid loving newbie piece of poo poo I'm gonna show up to your funeral and laugh at your lifeless corpse you piece of poo poo" MMORPG rules but it also wouldn't be kinda cool for very obvious reasons. There's a reason WoW and its copycats like FF14 ended up being the more profitable form of MMOs, because assholes are a minority of the paying customers for these things, contrary to popular belief.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I don’t really see there being much difference between 14 having 4 ff6 bosses to fight and ff9 having you fight the ff1 4 fiends. Other than like Kefka but I don’t know if the mere image of Kefka is enough to make me want drop what I’m doing and play ff6 to get more Kefka in a traditional format.

I will always pay money for more Kefka, my life is not complete without a nihilistic clown man laughing at my face for believing in the inherit goodness of humanity.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

a crisp refreshing Moxie posted:

Cool, cool

what about the other 95% of the game?

I guess I just don't "get" mmos. Like i'll sub to ff14 and then only play for like six hours. The other 95% of the game is okay I guess? Too much time investment for too little reward. I'd pay for a DLC of a dried-out, shortened, and simplified Ted Woolsey-style version of the localization.

I'll have you know my GBA still works :bahgawd:

But my DS Lite doesn't! All the lcds died except for a cluster of them in the middle of the screens.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULRTwOMwLoA

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

SyntheticPolygon posted:

The fiends in FF9 are better woven into the story, and in fact previous set pieces in FF14 were better woven into the story than this, like the Crystal Tower raid. The reason this strikes a nerve is that the story justification is just "you're in a simulation where you fight bosses from other games".

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Alexander's rap is better.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
The simulation aspect is woven on as well as CT cause they make them fairy tales and plays in universe to further the whole plot and characterization of Omega as a heartless machine with no real imagination trying its best to figure out your people emotions and how they empower you. Its a perfectly in universe justification and it's at least different than how CT Bahamut and Alexander were done so it's a least a little refreshing.

The real issue is that Dancing Mad and the Decisive battle aren't as good as Sokens insanity that gave us A to the L to the E to Xander

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Yeah, fairy tales that literally nobody ever talked about or had heard of until the Omega raid started.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, fairy tales that literally nobody ever talked about or had heard of until the Omega raid started.

Eh, that isn't true. "There are the stories of (legendary thing that is actually a FF reference)" are scattered throughout the entirety of FFXIV. Half of them turn out to be true which is just an excuse for a different kind of FF reference.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
forward and back and forward and back and forward and back, then put one foot forward

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that was drat good trance/electropop/whatever you call it

prop too chill to be considered pop actually but whatevs

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, that isn't true. "There are the stories of (legendary thing that is actually a FF reference)" are scattered throughout the entirety of FFXIV. Half of them turn out to be true which is just an excuse for a different kind of FF reference.

Yeah, and those things are usually just one-off references, or recurring elements that are common in all Final Fantasy games. Almost every game has chocobos, almost all of them have a Cid. Only two of them have you fighting Kefka.

e: also I'm stopping right here because I've had this exact argument with you at least twice before

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 20, 2018

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

:wow:

I only played FFXIV for a free trial month at 2.0 launch, I'm just not into vertical progression MMOs. The only thing I really regret is missing out on insane tracks like this.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

What imp atom said and this can be turned against literally any other plot point in both the main story and side content. "Oh wow how come I'm just hearing about these betrayals during the Autumn war now?" "Oh if this magical spindal that lets the goblins summon alexander was so important how come they didn't bring it up until it was actually relevant to the narrative they wanted to tell?" Don't even get me started on sometime between 1.0 and 2.1 how Nael wasn't actually ever Nael but Nael's sister dressed like Nael to carry on Nael's memory

Yes, it turns out a narrative episdoe that generally self contained and written well after the world is established is probably going to contain plot points and whole concepts and locations that weren't talked about previously because They Didn't Write Them Yet.

Fister Roboto posted:

Yeah, and those things are usually just one-off references, or recurring elements that are common in all Final Fantasy games. Almost every game has chocobos, almost all of them have a Cid. Only two of them have you fighting Kefka.

e: also I'm stopping right here because I've had this exact argument with you at least twice before

This is also dumb cause the extent of references and how important they are is basically completely loving random in the franchise. Some games the classic summons are gods, sometimes they're boat names, some times they're magical parasites that are slowly killing the world as part of a sinister plot of Dark god worshippers and kind of the biggest threat in existence. Sometime chocobos are set dressing, sometimes they're a whole sidequest in themselves, sometimes they're literally the protagonist.

ALSO all the fairy tales about old FF's are already referenced in universe because that's where the triple triad cards and the description on the glamour items come from.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 23:14 on May 20, 2018

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Fister Roboto posted:

Triple Triad cards of FF protagonists and the Fanfest minion rewards all reference the concept

Mega64
May 23, 2008

If FF14's story isn't stupid as gently caress then it isn't a true Final Fantasy game.

It is a conundrum.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Mega64 posted:

If FF14's story isn't stupid as gently caress then it isn't a true Final Fantasy game.

It is a conundrum.

Didn't part of the Dragon War plot include

"I am the reincarnation of your true love, great dragon, so please heed me!"
"...you think you're WHAT? No, it doesn't work that way. Stop being creepy. Now, back to the story of who ate who's eyes and started this whole mess."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bruceski posted:

"...you think you're WHAT? No, it doesn't work that way. Stop being creepy. Now, back to the story of who ate who's eyes and started this whole mess."

Pretty much. Shiva was convinced that she was a reincarnation but primals are just thought made flesh so it was just "nope, you're not Shiva, you just really wanted to be, get that poo poo out of here."

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
FF14 Heavensward is the best FF game

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

OneDeadman posted:

FF14 Heavensward is the best FF game

Fact

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Bruceski posted:

n.b. dragons are also alien lifeforms; the FF weirdness quota is solidly met

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Mega64 posted:

I will always pay money for more Kefka, my life is not complete without a nihilistic clown man laughing at my face for believing in the inherit goodness of humanity.

pm me

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Elephant Ambush posted:

You're kinda dumb if you can't see why without asking.

I mean unless you're 15 and don't know what nostalgia is yet.

I mean, I know why. Nostalgia sells. But it feels like anytime I see anything from that game it’s,”hey, remember when FF did this?!” Saw some Golden Saucer thing, some Cyan castle with Cyan’s theme, a boss fight with Kefka and the Statue of Gods while Dancing Mad plays, its got Magitek armor, and now this. Just feels like nostalgia is all it has to offer speaking as an outsider who hasn’t put much time into the game yet and I’m just curious if it has anything to offer on its own merits, which isn’t a dumb thing to ask at all.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Himuro posted:

Just feels like nostalgia is all it has to offer speaking as an outsider who hasn’t put much time into the game yet and I’m just curious if it has anything to offer on its own merits, which isn’t a dumb thing to ask at all.

nah

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
I play 14 because I like 14 for what it is.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Himuro posted:

Just feels like nostalgia is all it has to offer speaking as an outsider who hasn’t put much time into the game yet and I’m just curious if it has anything to offer on its own merits, which isn’t a dumb thing to ask at all.

not really

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

BrightWing posted:

I play 14 because I like 14 for what it is.

That’s cool. I like what I’ve played but haven’t been able to invest much into it.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Himuro posted:

I mean, I know why. Nostalgia sells. But it feels like anytime I see anything from that game it’s,”hey, remember when FF did this?!” Saw some Golden Saucer thing, some Cyan castle with Cyan’s theme, a boss fight with Kefka and the Statue of Gods while Dancing Mad plays, its got Magitek armor, and now this. Just feels like nostalgia is all it has to offer speaking as an outsider who hasn’t put much time into the game yet and I’m just curious if it has anything to offer on its own merits, which isn’t a dumb thing to ask at all.

It's a very referential game, but for the most part it's not ONLY being referential, it's using these known elements to thread new concepts and stories. Like, it's got Ultima Weapon in the storyline for A Realm Reborn, but despite looking like the one from FFVII he's an entirely different figure, filling a different role.

If you want XIV to have its own voice, it absolutely does, but Stormblood is actually a really bad point to be saying that in, because for some reason Stormblood is just SUPER referential. The two endgame raid chains are explicitly so (there's the Omega chain that's the bosses from V and VI you've already heard about, but there's also a more story-focused one that's directly got characters from FFXII and is about you digging up the truth behind the War of the Lions), but you've got Doma, you've got Shinryu and Omega, you've got an area that seems to be a combination of FFX's Calm Lands and XIII's Archylte Steppe, there is a dungeon that's basically just the Magitek Research Facility from VI, the Atma Weapon from VI makes an appearance at some point.

Stormblood still has its own voice, but for whatever reason it's also when they started getting way more flagrant about their references.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FFXV references will be fighting a massive floating fedora

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Heavensward does really well at being distinct as its own thing and I'll say is the better expansion by a good margin. It still has stuff like the Warring Triad but they are made so much their own thing it doesn't feel like just straight rips for nostalgia.

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

Heavensward is definitely the better expansion when compared to Stormblood. The characterization and story in Heavensward was considerably more interesting and the story had better high points than Stormblood as well. Stormblood just kind of feels as if we're going through the motions with people that aren't all that interesting.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Heavensward does really well at being distinct as its own thing and I'll say is the better expansion by a good margin. It still has stuff like the Warring Triad but they are made so much their own thing it doesn't feel like just straight rips for nostalgia.

Yeah, Heavensward is the better expansion for so many reasons. And for me the most important reason of those is that the story actually has side-characters, and momentum. Whereas Stormblood is just going from town to town full of downtrodden people who don't want to fight and/or assholes who don't want to fight for you, and doing chores for them until they want to fight for you. And then going to the next town to do it all again.

Heavensward also has way better villains, and actually knows when to have them fail or die, so it's also a much less frustrating narrative on the grand scale.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
yall have played more ff14 than i've played all civ games put together over my entire life :eyepoop:

i always think i've played way more than i have, but the last time i subbed, i had like 20 hours in it total lol

Dragonturtle
Feb 23, 2017

There are people that still play FF11 who are marked at around 1200-1600 days played. A lot of the time is spent afk or offline while their characters are still logged in though which throws it off.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

I think it's still a little early to compare the completed 3.0-3.5 story to the 4.0-4.2 story.

At this time in HW, we were rolling our eyes at how clumsy the whole Warriors of Darkness thing had to be wrapped up, weren't we?

There was also a great deal of salt about Alexander's aesthetic, how brass and cogs got super tired after just Gordias and how it could never compare to Coil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Are we entering into the Kali yuga age of FF14?