Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zamboni Apocalypse
Dec 29, 2009

MF_James posted:

gently caress, you're supposed to push it back to dev!!! You didn't complete the finger pointing circle.

As the random wandering C-Level, did you try just turning it off and on again? Like this...

<walks over to breaker box>

<grabs the main power breaker>

<CLICK-CLACK!>

<CLICK-CLACK!>

<CLICK-CLACK!>

<CLICK->

<horribly loud popping noise, with accompanying blue flash and sound of everything powering down hard, plus "oh poo poo im ded" noises from all the UPS units>

<-CLACK!>

"Hmmm. Oh well, get right on that, OK? We have a critical make-or-break-the-company sales presentation starting in 45 minutes, just arranged it this morning, figured I should drop by and give you a head's up."

"Speaking of head, the mistress is waiting in my third Porsche, gotta go!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Changing away from UTC is a mistake.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

18 Character Limit posted:

:agreed:

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

We have several lights that do not have light switches in the basement, as we now store product in that area of the basement and we have temp people running around that need to turn these lights on and off, some of whom do not speak very good English well...

It really doesn't help that the main office breaker is on the panel between 2 of the lights. They just let the temp go and tell them not to show up for any more scheduled days and have the temp agency send someone else when they gently caress it up. "we'll find people that will know how to turn off the right light! It's not hard!"

Okay so no to battery backup for the office, and no for having a light switch installed.

At least this is training people to save early save often in Excel!

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

A terrible terrible mistake that will lead to so much pain down the road which is why it's a pretty hilarious video from AWS. I almost wonder if they're getting ready to launch an Unfuck your DB as a service offering or something.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Anyone who doubts this needs to work with python's datetime module for a while. After a few hours you'll be converting everything to UTC just so you can compare timestamps without wanting to stab yourself.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

xzzy posted:

Anyone who doubts this needs to work with python's datetime module for a while. After a few hours you'll be converting everything to UTC just so you can compare timestamps without wanting to stab yourself.

Every server should be in UTC, that doesn't mean that most people using AWS understand timezones. There's a fair amount of people in 1-2 man companies that barely understand web development using AWS. They want stuff in time their local time, and wont hear anything about best practices or why this will cause problems. When you have a large call volume of low paying customers that have poor technical skills that think their $50/month is a fortune and you better give them good service! Well you make a video so you can just send them the link instead of talk to them for 2 hours on the phone.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

pixaal posted:

Every server should be in UTC, that doesn't mean that most people using AWS understand timezones. There's a fair amount of people in 1-2 man companies that barely understand web development using AWS. They want stuff in time their local time, and wont hear anything about best practices or why this will cause problems. When you have a large call volume of low paying customers that have poor technical skills that think their $50/month is a fortune and you better give them good service! Well you make a video so you can just send them the link instead of talk to them for 2 hours on the phone.

My favorite part of my job is that I have clients that have their IT in India, supported by tier 3 in UK, with servers that are IDK where. They email, saying at 1am we had this issue, here's the logs, but then they clarify which timezone the servers are in, how that relates to the time they reported the issue, and when I ask, they forward me an email from a user in Hong Kong that said "at 12pm we had an issue."

It's a nightmare, and typically I just draw up on a white board a chart of all the times:

USERS | SERVERS | SUPPORT
UTC-5 UTC+3 UTC-1

And then I just start writing the events on the board. Otherwise its too hard to track.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Whenever I'm not totally sure that everybody in a conversation is in the same timezone then I use UTC for everything

18 Character Limit
Apr 6, 2007

Screw you, Abed;
I can fix this!
Nap Ghost

Thanks Ants posted:

Whenever I'm not totally sure that everybody in a conversation is in the same timezone then I use UTC for everything

Almost like part of the name is about coordination.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Thanks Ants posted:

This is basically exactly why you should use UTC for everything.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
I use EST but I specify it in everything.

We're the HQ office, we're the center of the universe :colbert:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

We used to do that at a past company, everything was London time. When we spun up US and Asian regions it caused so much trouble everything got UTC’d.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had someone leave the timezone of a RDS box set to London and then force the time to what it would have been in EST. They were surprised when they got a bunch of authentication issues.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Thanks Ants posted:

We had someone leave the timezone of a RDS box set to London and then force the time to what it would have been in EST. They were surprised when they got a bunch of authentication issues.
People who don't configure NTP are immeasurably worse than people who use the wrong timezone.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Fixing time sync issues can take so long because you just assume NTP is always in place.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Use of kerberos gets you up to speed on NTP real quick.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Jaded Burnout posted:

We used to do that at a past company, everything was London time.

Is this in reference to summer time or do you not get in which large city Greenwich is in?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Quoting GMT leaves room for mistakes when people think that whatever the time currently is in the UK = GMT.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

ookiimarukochan posted:

Is this in reference to summer time or do you not get in which large city Greenwich is in?

You don’t set your time zone to gmt, you set it to Europe/London.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?
Ugh. At one point at my previous position we had:

•Most Servers in UTC
•Ticketing System DB in Central European Time but displayed in users local time. I eventually got an admin to change it to UTC but he refused to change the past times so there is about a month of data in CET and the rest in UTC.
•Help Desk in Eastern Time
•Head Quarters in Central Time
•Offshore Help Desk on India Standard Time
•Coding team on Pacific Time
•Clients in Eastern, Central, and Mountain Time

Everything was always a giant mess in reference to time. Every meeting invite caused massive conflicts and god forbid you needed India involved in anything.

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007
"Office hours are 9 to 5. We allow flexible time with an understanding that you'll work the required hours to complete the work on time.... you are expected to come in early, work late, work from home, stay in for lunch, sacrifice a baby etc. if you cannot meet deadlines during regular working hours."

At this point I'm "working late" all the loving time if I have any hope of catching up to any deadline given. Flexibility my loving rear end.

RadiRoot fucked around with this message at 08:43 on May 19, 2018

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Everything was always a giant mess in reference to time. Every meeting invite caused massive conflicts and god forbid you needed India involved in anything.

I find the best solution to involving India is to not involve India.

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
GPDR

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Sprechensiesexy posted:

I find the best solution to involving India is to not involve India.

If only that had been an option. I once caught the India desk fudging SLA numbers by counting emails as phone calls (they were billed at different rates and had way different response times for SLAs). It got ran up the chain, lots of meetings were held, and literally nothing changed. No one got fired, they kept reporting those numbers up their chain of command, etc. As far as I know they are still doing it.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

If only that had been an option. I once caught the India desk fudging SLA numbers by counting emails as phone calls (they were billed at different rates and had way different response times for SLAs). It got ran up the chain, lots of meetings were held, and literally nothing changed. No one got fired, they kept reporting those numbers up their chain of command, etc. As far as I know they are still doing it.

We are a new department so we have some Indians over to show us the ropes, but since their advice ranges from obvious to terrible they are now just sitting at their desks getting ignored for work related things. It's a good arrangement now.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
One of our hardware vendors has outsourced at least some of their support to India. The quality's dropped from "generally competent" to "oh god, what?"

I wasn't aware you could describe to the signal strength of an optical fibre SFP as "electrical power", but that's the terminology they used in the ticket.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob

This drives me insane. We have contractual agreements on what is to be delivered. Oh, you decided not to deliver that thing? Oh well, guess we are just going to accept it as an immutable fact of life!

I don't like messing with people's money, I don't like to go after people's jobs, but at some point chronic failure to fulfill a contract is a problem that needs addressing.

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

guppy posted:

This drives me insane. We have contractual agreements on what is to be delivered. Oh, you decided not to deliver that thing? Oh well, guess we are just going to accept it as an immutable fact of life!

I don't like messing with people's money, I don't like to go after people's jobs, but at some point chronic failure to fulfill a contract is a problem that needs addressing.

Yeah. At some point the client is going to request an audit or look at the reports and poo poo will fly. Wouldn’t be the first lawsuit over billing they will be involved with.

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

anthonypants posted:

Well, we've got five retention folders in your Outlook Inbox: _01 Year, _05 Years, _10 Years, _20 Years, and Permament. It's up to you and your department to decide which e-mail goes in which folder. You can create all the subfolders you want, but everything will get stored in the archive. E-mails in your inbox get backed up silently, and are deleted after 90 days. If you want to look at e-mails older than 90 days, or you want to make sure an item has been archived, you have to go into the archive.

You forgot the oh btw even though we set your deleted items retention policy to 90 days, you also have a deleted items secondary bin that is also 30 days, and while you might of thought you could make this more than 30 days because the GUI says you can, you will never set that thing to more than 30 days even though you followed some bloke's instructions that swore you could do it in Powershell.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
Dang, that's an old post.

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Servers, logs, services, etc should all run on UTC, translation to local should happen at the client. Aaaaaaaaaaand go.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Paladine_PSoT posted:

Servers, logs, services, etc should all run on UTC, translation to local should happen at the client. Aaaaaaaaaaand go.

This should be enforced with a GDPR-style “x% of global revenue off the top” penalty.

E: With increasing multipliers based on hours of divergence.

EE: The absolute value of the hours of divergence, obviously.

EEE: Rounded up. gently caress off, India.

EEEE: You think anyone is impressed by your poo poo, Nepal?

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 20, 2018

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

anthonypants posted:

Dang, that's an old post.

Do you think we'll have to wait another five years before he replies to this?

JackDRipper
Feb 13, 2013

Its all about the Fishing.

Mr. Fix It posted:

Do you think we'll have to wait another five years before he replies to this?

Lots of beer might of been involved today.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I was really hoping you were reading through the thread opening replies in new tabs so we could enjoy random replies to posts from years ago.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Half the jira plugins we use just ignore timezones and do whatever they like. I have a dashboard widget that's supposed to show me bookings for today and it shows me yesterday's until midafternoon. We pay for it too.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

xzzy posted:

It's amazing the internet works at all.

Pretty much...

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

This is awesome. No kidding this is the best thing I’ve read this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Looking at other people's code is like staring into the abyss.

I've gotten lucky the only production code I've looked at was written by our senior dev or approved by him, and he's good, but I did code reviews in college a bunch and it's the worst.