Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Zurai posted:

I'd love to play the game, but unfortunately every quest I get seems to inevitably lead to an encounter with a cave grub, and encounters with cave grubs end 2 seconds later with a crash, 100% of the time. Every monster of the cave grub family, from the Giant Cave Grub to Cave Grublings, causes the crash.

Hey, I hope you're still reading the thread. This started happening to me, and verifying file integrity in Steam fixed it. Good luck!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN
Okay, think I'm pretty much at the endgame for my PotD run after three or four resets and waiting for the first patch. The difficulty still drops off pretty hard somewhere in the teens even with scaling on, but it's hard for me to tell if that's enemies not having any appropriate defenses or what. None of this should be spoilers since it's mostly mechanics observations.

1) Arcane Knight (Fighter/Wiz) is absurdly good as a tank. I used Aloth as my frontline with it and it makes him into a nearly unkillable beast; the quick-cast Illusion and Enchantment buffs (Mirrored Image or Arcane Veil->Displaced Image, Bulwark against the Elements, Spirit Shield and Ironskin) are massive boosts to survivability, and they come online very early. After that he can either throw some longer-cast debuffs or just smack everything with the normal Fighter damage tools while being untouchable, and Grimoires mean that he doesn't need to spend points at all on the Wizard side to pick up useful spells. Checking my records Aloth only got knocked out twice, and I know one of them was when I accidentally nailed him with a double Empowered raw damage spell.

2) On a similar note, Evoker Wizard is absurd. At the point I'm at it's become less absurd since enemies tend to die before a spell finishes so Eder is catching up, but at level 15 or so my PC had something like 90,000 damage done while the next highest companion was sitting around 35,000. Throwing an Empowered (auto-doublecast) Concussive Missile will kill anything it hits, including with the AoE, and that's a level 4 spell.

3) Charge is pretty hilariously broken. It should probably turn into a full attack on the target and debuff/knock aside targets in the way, not do a full attack on each. On the other hand, it does turn Fighters into anime protagonists as they dash through a line of mooks and everything behind them explodes into gibbets. Two discipline for a multi-target full attack just makes me wonder what the heck they were thinking, though; it's considerably stronger than the level 8 Clear Out Fighter ability.

4) Priest abilities seem pretty weak. Xoti is still a stand-out because her unique items are really strong if you stack Religion on her, and her unique spells are pretty good too. I used her as a secondary melee target, running in behind Aloth and Eder after buffing herself with Minor Avatar once I got it. In general, Priest abilities (especially self-buffs) probably want to be faster to cast. Spending six seconds or so between the cast and the recovery time to give someone a single Inspiration is pretty weak when they can usually provide them themselves.

5) Most Cipher abilities are pretty meh, but the strong ones are pretty strong. I liked Pain Block since I wasn't really running a healer so it was nice to toss on people with its quick cast, and Whisper of Treason/Ringleader are super strong. Disintegrate is pretty good too. Time Parasite is goddamn absurd because the buff part of it seems to scale with the number of targets it bounces to, so Serafen turns into a magic missile spammer once it lands since I gave him Frostseeker.

e: Might also go back to PoE1 after this since I realized I never actually finished WM2. Anyone have suggestions for a build, and what I should do when I can't program AI into my party members?

RPZip fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 21, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

lurksion posted:

I'm done until DLC, spoiler this please

https://forums.obsidian.net/topic/100345-vela-is-a-druggie/

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

I wonder if he's a backer pet, or the result of an inspired designer visiting a message board

RPGcodex backer pet I believe

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

This is absolutely incredible.

frajaq posted:

It's still a shame we don't have two-handed axes in this goddamn game series

You do. It's called a pollaxe.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

2house2fly posted:

RPGcodex backer pet I believe

Haha, that's pretty cool.

Randbrick
Sep 28, 2002
I really want to like the whispers of the endless path greatsword, but that friendly fire cone is such a pita. Is that intentional? Can someone mod it to not have friendly fire?

Also, kudos to the design team on this, there are a lot of strong choices, and the visual and sound design in particular gets really impressive results out the engine.

But they should have stalled release to June.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Uh so for sealed fate quest...
dude just runs away from me and I either can let him go or kill him? based on his captain's dialogue I should be able to catch him for questioning, right?

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

Also what's up with the unique morningstar that does 0 corrode over 0 seconds and can be enchanted to do an additional 0 corrode over 0 seconds

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

albany academy posted:

Also what's up with the unique morningstar that does 0 corrode over 0 seconds and can be enchanted to do an additional 0 corrode over 0 seconds

tooltip/wording error

it actually does the damage

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....

albany academy posted:

It does actual damage in game, the description is broken.

Does it tell you real numbers if you hover the 0's?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RPZip posted:

Okay, think I'm pretty much at the endgame for my PotD run after three or four resets and waiting for the first patch. The difficulty still drops off pretty hard somewhere in the teens even with scaling on, but it's hard for me to tell if that's enemies not having any appropriate defenses or what. None of this should be spoilers since it's mostly mechanics observations.

4) Priest abilities seem pretty weak. Xoti is still a stand-out because her unique items are really strong if you stack Religion on her, and her unique spells are pretty good too. I used her as a secondary melee target, running in behind Aloth and Eder after buffing herself with Minor Avatar once I got it. In general, Priest abilities (especially self-buffs) probably want to be faster to cast. Spending six seconds or so between the cast and the recovery time to give someone a single Inspiration is pretty weak when they can usually provide them themselves.

I'm level 16 think with my Wizard/Priest and I'd tend to agree that Priest abilities feel somewhat overwhelming.

I actually think Priests are a good class to multi-class with, contrary to what people initially thought. The reason for that is the best spell I've seen so far for Priests is (as in Poe1) Devotions of the Faithful. But after that, you don't lose much by multi classing imo. Granted, I haven't seen what level 8 or 9 spells are like yet. So imo the only thing you lose by multi classing is taking a bit longer to get to Devotions. A lot of the good priest spells come levels 1-4.

Now what is actually worth multi-classing Priests to would take some more plays. Wizard has been a decent add for me, though I greatly regret going Conjurer. I'd rather go Evoker if I did this combo again since I think buffing up with Devotions and then chucking Empowered DPS spells would be a lethal combo.

Not sure what my next play will be. Some kind of melee for sure, but undecided on what.

e: I just fought Concelhaut. And that was actually a pretty tough fight. Hard as hell to actually land attacks on him.

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 01:36 on May 21, 2018

Snicker-Snack
Jul 2, 2010
Is time parasite supposed to be a deception power? It's the only cipher ability with the keyword "Illusions".

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Snicker-Snack posted:

Is time parasite supposed to be a deception power? It's the only cipher ability with the keyword "Illusions".
Its honestly really weird to me that those aren't the same. The keyword system is nice, but then you get about a billion different keywords that are basically class exclusive. Also, I didn't realize that Time Parasite was an Illusion. Its probably good enough to equip the Whitewitch mask just for that.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
If you wanna do dmg with a priest throw out a shining beacon on a group, does 44 dmg per 3s for me atm. Throw a symbol of magran on top of that or before it as it does more dmg. Then if something is somehow alive, throw out a cleansing fire. And you should cast minor avatar before that for all the stat boosts.

Everything just melts.

Pillar of holy fire hits for 160-190, if you wanna mess with stuff you gotta worry about hitting your guys. I'm usually using this tier spell for boon of the champion to buff the melee guys to hell. And of course there's storm of holy fire, I just don't know if fights are big enough for storm of holy fire. Its on the same tier as minor avatar so I have barely used it.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 21, 2018

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Tenzarin posted:

If you wanna do dmg with a priest throw out a shining beacon on a group, does 44 dmg per 3s for me atm. Throw a symbol of magran on top of that or before it as it does more dmg. Then if something is somehow alive, throw out a cleansing fire. And you should cast minor avatar before that for all the stat boosts.

Yeah empowered shining beacon is nice.

If you get Concelhaut's skull and equip it, he follows you around talking trash. Pretty amusing.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Subjunctive posted:

What are the non-trap weapons for Devoted? Sword? Mace?

Spears are rarer than swords, but probably stronger. Looking through the game’s files, Modwyr is okay, but more for defense than damage. Otherwise there’s a sword that’s actually a club (macahuatl) that’s really good and unique. But there’s also a spear that has the stats of a sword (pierce/slash damage types, the same penetration as swords and no accuracy bonus), but has damage numbers far superior to any unique sword. I don’t know when or where you get it, though. The other two unique spears are also really good.

Of course, sabers are plentiful, full of fun, unique effects and very strong, but then you’re stuck with one damage type.

You can’t go wrong with great swords for sure, though.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

I killed Arkemyr after finishing his quest because honestly why not, gently caress that guy.

Maybe if I kill enough archmages then in PoE3 they'll recognise I deserve to be there or else I'll just keep killing them.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Spears are rarer than swords, but probably stronger. Looking through the game’s files, Modwyr is okay, but more for defense than damage.
Modwyr's once-per-encounter activated ability is pretty great though.

derra
Dec 29, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

What are the non-trap weapons for Devoted? Sword? Mace?

Modals are good, flexibility is good, and using the best weapon you have at a given time is good. While most people love Devoted, I actually think it's a trap option.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I wish I had some of those cool spears. Spears are just a cool weapon. I also like how you don't need to have weapon proficiencies necessarily, at least until you start getting perks for weapons if you do have them.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Ginette Reno posted:

Never really used empower for anything other than getting more spells in a long fight. Empowered shining beacon landed for 77 dmg per 3s over 24s(30-40s with crits). That is a retarded amount of dmg. The people in the wild mare died to the first tick, I have no idea which monsters in the game would last with that on them.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKiy3GDn8VQ
I have been messing around with this build, and it's super fun. Very gimmicky. You absolutely need a dedicated healer, so no soloing, but it absolutely shreds.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Stokes posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MKiy3GDn8VQ
I have been messing around with this build, and it's super fun. Very gimmicky. You absolutely need a dedicated healer, so no soloing, but it absolutely shreds.
Could a fighter self-heal enough with their passives? (assuming things get rebalanced to be harder later) And when you're shifted, do you stop getting benefits from rings and belts?

There are a lot of health-on-kill pet auras that I've been using. They're not bad.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Crowetron posted:

I'm at the point in the game where I have to choose a faction, and I'm really torn between the Huana and the Pirates.

I am sympathetic to the Huana's struggle against imperialism and really, Ukaizo is their culture and belongs to them. But they also have that really hosed up caste system, and as far as the Roparu are concerned, finding fantasy Atlantis won't make one lick of difference and they'll still be starving in the streets.

The pirates, specifically Aeldys's faction, seem pretty cool. Lots of personal freedom, firm anti-slavery policy, and they know how to party. But they are still pirates. Also, I'm not entirely convinced leading them to Ukaizo will make much of a difference in the long run. If the Ruatai or the VTC want the city badly enough, they can probably gently caress up a divided fleet of drunken buccaneers.

To make things worse, my party members all seem pretty chill with either action, so no help there.

This is in no way a complaint. I actually really like that I'm stopping in the middle of dialogue trees to think about stuff. It's what I liked about PoE1 and New Vegas, too. But if anyone has an compelling non-spoiler arguements for either side, that would really help me out.

Just go independent, all of these people suck major rear end. Not gonna support the brigands that roam about stealing from people, the dumbass caste system place, the militaristic imperialists, and the terrible capitalists.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SunAndSpring posted:

Just go independent, all of these people suck major rear end. Not gonna support the brigands that roam about stealing from people, the dumbass caste system place, the militaristic imperialists, and the terrible capitalists.

Centrism is the path of cowards

Ginette Reno posted:

If you get Concelhaut's skull and equip it, he follows you around talking trash. Pretty amusing.

I want him to show up in a hypothetical third game so that he can get merked yet again :allears:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Captain Oblivious posted:

Centrism is the path of cowards

I want him to show up in a hypothetical third game so that he can get merked yet again :allears:

It's not really centrism, I just think all these factions suck poo poo, aren't worth anything, and they should just gently caress off.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Ravenfood posted:

when you're shifted, do you stop getting benefits from rings and belts?

Yes, you do not get any benefits from any equipment while shapeshifted which is why all those barb passives are important.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Khanstant posted:

I wish I had some of those cool spears. Spears are just a cool weapon. I also like how you don't need to have weapon proficiencies necessarily, at least until you start getting perks for weapons if you do have them.

I'm really glad there are some good spears, but I do want to make a complaint about them. Of the three unique spears, two of them are hunting tools, one of which is a hunting tool for a hunter gatherer society. The third unique is a stone weapon from a time pre-dating metallurgy. I know fantasy rpgs have to cleave to western fantasy archetypes, but the "primitive spear" is one of the most annoying. Why can't you just let us have Gungnir?

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 02:27 on May 21, 2018

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

SunAndSpring posted:

It's not really centrism, I just think all these factions suck poo poo, aren't worth anything, and they should just gently caress off.

The faction-less ending just enables the factions to continue to suck poo poo while they wreck each other, and the rest of the Deadfire. it kinda sucks, as an ending

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SunAndSpring posted:

What is centrism if not being unwilling to change anything because of an inability to accept that all paths forward WILL have problems, and then doing even greater harm in the process

Exactly like the no faction ending :razz:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

En Garde Motherfuckers posted:

The faction-less ending just enables the factions to continue to suck poo poo while they wreck each other, and the rest of the Deadfire. it kinda sucks, as an ending

Good, the imperialists and the pirates and the caste system deserve to own each other, while I deserve to be hailed as the person who single-handedly dealt with the Eothas thing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Captain Oblivious posted:

What is centrism if not being unwilling to change anything because of an inability to accept that all paths forward WILL have problems, and then doing even greater harm in the process

Exactly like the no faction ending :razz:

If all the paths available through those factions are strongly right-leaning, and you're left-leaning, is it centrist to reject those paths on offer?

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

the correct approach is to identify which of the imperial powers is the weakest and then back them to the hilt, this will maximize damage to the corrupt global power structure when they inevitably clash

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Introduce a forging system to craft your own unique items in a DLC. Boom most popular DLC ever.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
My huana faction questline is broken :(.

Space Pussy
Feb 19, 2011

Queen drops arguably the best hat in the game. Also happens to be a manipulative mind reader that can't be trusted. Don't see any real downside to murdering her the moment I set foot in Neketaka.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013

Subjunctive posted:

If all the paths available through those factions are strongly right-leaning, and you're left-leaning, is it centrist to reject those paths on offer?

Basically. I mean, they're like:

:v: You should help the Huana because maybe they'll treat the people they view as spiritually and mentally inferior nicer and give them food!
or
:v: You should help the Vailian Trading Company because they'll be nice capitalist exploiters!

and I'm just like gently caress this, it really isn't any of my business to be an interventionist, I'm dealing with this loving idiot stomping about in a big green statue and going home.

En Garde Motherfuckers
Apr 29, 2009

Hey. Is it just me, or do my balls itch?

SunAndSpring posted:

Good, the imperialists and the pirates and the caste system deserve to own each other, while I deserve to be hailed as the person who single-handedly dealt with the Eothas thing.

I'd be a lot more satisfied with this if Neketaka and other settlements you visit weren't also screwed over by the conflict in the ending slides, but it's probably the least-bad in the long term

On a related note, someone did a pretty good job of filling out the wiki with ending slides and conditions, and it's pretty interesting stuff: https://pillarsofeternity.gamepedia.com/Pillars_of_Eternity_II:_Deadfire_endings (obvious spoilers c'mon)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
There's a quarterstaff that is a broom you can upgrade to legendary. And one of it's enchants is "...is that a Broom?", along with its other broom style effects.