Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Some Numbers posted:

Why, because his team only won one of them because of Ohtani?

BUSH LEAGUE, SPRING TRAINING STUFF, RESPECT THE GAME etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
The Angels havent had a good left handed hitter in forever. They've always been insanely right handed and for a long time they never drafted switch hitters for whatever reason. Ohtani is the best lefty they've had in forever and if he isn't hitting then they become that much more right handed.

The Angels should feel bad for being so lovely against the corpse of Romo. Not because of the strategy the Ray's used.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

MrMojok posted:

Zack Cozart says the experimental Romo starts were “bad for baseball”

A couple of nights ago, Zack Cozart called off Andrelton Simmons on a pop up to shallow left field and then dropped the ball because he fell on his rear end and a run scored. I thought that was pretty bad for baseball.

I think he's just mad that Romo struck him out.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

The shambling corpse of Sergio Romo has thrown 2.1 innings in the last 2 days with 5 strikeouts. :lol: the Angels just can’t not whiff against his slider somehow.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Good God what a fuckin baller.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I want to be Joey Votto when I grow up.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Popete posted:

My goodness, Herrera doesn't even have his front foot down by the time that pitch reaches home plate. That is unhittable if he has any kind of offspeed pitch.

Completely unhittable because he damned near threw the thing into the next ballpark over

Two wild pitches, Herrera reached base on a passed ball. Idk man

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MrMojok posted:

BUSH LEAGUE, SPRING TRAINING STUFF, RESPECT THE GAME etc.

counterpoint:

https://twitter.com/RaysBaseball/status/998299999585714176

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think Tampa's new strategy of starting relievers and having starters get the most amount of outs against the weakest part of the lineup is the new market inefficiency

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Starting Sergio Romo makes sense because he turned into complete garbage as a reliever

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Accident Underwater posted:

I know they want to hold onto him as long as possible but the real reason you call him up isn't tickets it's because he's already mastered the minors. He's probably getting a contract to buy him out of arb anyway.

Vlad Jr has absolutely no reason to sign a contract before he hits FA, even just to buy out arb years.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Like, specifically on the Rays, or...?

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Vlad Jr has absolutely no reason to sign a contract before he hits FA, even just to buy out arb years.

I can actually think of at least 100 million-plus reasons.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Spoeank posted:

Starting Sergio Romo makes sense because he turned into complete garbage as a reliever

He’s old and broken and has like an 86mph fastball now but his slider is still unhittable, assuming it’s anywhere near the strike zone. His walk rate shot up but he still has a 12 K/9 this season :shrug:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Julio Cruz posted:

Jays aren't contending this year, no point burning a year of team control just to sell a few tickets.

:thunk:

or maybe the normal thing to think is that they should bring him up so he can actually get paid what he is worth sooner. Didn't know you were a Rogers Communications parachute account.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

:thunk:

or maybe the normal thing to think is that they should bring him up so he can actually get paid what he is worth sooner. Didn't know you were a Rogers Communications parachute account.

No I'm just thinking about it from the Jays' perspective. They're not going to give him millions of dollars when they don't actually have to.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Hot take:

Contract the entirety of the AL Central.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

iospace posted:

Hot take:

I like that the AL Central is remembering how to AL Central.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
What's the record for 100-loss teams in the same division? Because the AL Central is looking pretty good for at least 3.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
The Mariners are real!

Their offense is real!

Mitch Haniger is real and he is strong and he is my friend!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

shirts and skins posted:

The Mariners are real!

Their offense is real!

It sucks that the Mariners are finally looking good and King Felix sucks :( :(

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Dropping 3 straight against the Padres leading up to a stretch where 10 of our next 13 games are against the Cubs or Cardinals...coooOoOool stuff Bucs.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

Could we have an announcement when the Braves bandwagoning starts? Because I might like to hop on.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I said it before, but what is happening with the Braves feels like 2015 Cubs. Even when little things go wrong, it doesn't stop the overall momentum. And they still have more guys who could get called up to contribute.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shirts and skins posted:

The Mariners are real!

Their offense is real!

:yeah:

I'm going to get a Haniger jersey before the season is over.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

It sucks that the Mariners are finally looking good and King Felix sucks :( :(
Also, the Mariners are looking good and have to contend with both the Astros and Angels.

And the As are suddenly not awful...

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
Greg Holland has a 190 ERA- this year :wow:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Is Wainwright gonna retire after this season? His contract is up and he's bad and injured now. I can't imagine he would get much attention in the future.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

Is Wainwright gonna retire after this season? His contract is up and he's bad and injured now. I can't imagine he would get much attention in the future.

I hope so. I like him around the team, but he has been toast ever since that achilles pop.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Senf posted:

I can actually think of at least 100 million-plus reasons.

You know he's already rich as hell right?

There's is absolutely zero reason for him to not bet on himself and zero reason to give the Jays any sort of discount. So unless its a record setting contract, he's going to go year to year and make the Jays pay full price.

In other Jays "prospect" news, Ryan Noda had three more BBs yesterday and is now hitting .198/.474/.297

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

iospace posted:

Hot take:

Send Andrew Miller back to the Yankees, plz

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Andrew Miller has been kind of weird the last couple years. I know that 2016 was impossibly good, but it seems like his good innings still are taking on a Fernando Rodney character.

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

YeahTubaMike posted:

Send Andrew Miller back to the Yankees, plz

And a couple consistent starters too while you're at it.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

Doctor Rope

Shiroc posted:

Andrew Miller has been kind of weird the last couple years. I know that 2016 was impossibly good, but it seems like his good innings still are taking on a Fernando Rodney character.

Small sample size and whatnot, but the (four) innings I've seen from him this year look normal. It's really hard to keep track of a reliever when you don't give a poo poo about their team though, admittedly.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

YeahTubaMike posted:

It's really hard to keep track of a reliever when you don't give a poo poo about their team though, admittedly.

Really hard to keep track is true. It's really hard, even if you're a shut-in, to follow ALL of baseball. I think most fans who really like baseball are pretty conversant with teams in their division and can find their way around the league they're in. But even then, there are whole teams, at least for me, that are terra incognita. SAS really helps me with that since every season I tell myself I'm going to watch games between teams I don't know anything about and I never do.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I don't subscribe to a daily newspaper anymore and that's wreaked havoc on my familiarity with the league at large.

I used to at least skim the box scores and stats leader lists in the Post Gazette in the morning.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Jordan Hicks' pitchface owns.

Mean Muggin'

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

the popes toes posted:

Really hard to keep track is true. It's really hard, even if you're a shut-in, to follow ALL of baseball. I think most fans who really like baseball are pretty conversant with teams in their division and can find their way around the league they're in. But even then, there are whole teams, at least for me, that are terra incognita. SAS really helps me with that since every season I tell myself I'm going to watch games between teams I don't know anything about and I never do.

Sometimes I forget the A's exist. Though I think sometimes Oakland forgets that the A's exist.

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

rickiep00h posted:

Sometimes I forget the A's exist. Though I think sometimes Oakland forgets that the A's exist.

A's, Brewers and Padres for me. Can't name a single one. Who are these people?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

the popes toes posted:

I like how interleague play kinda encourages me to check out NL teams the Mariners are due to face during the regular season. I’ll typically catch one or two games from a team we are about to face in IL play so I know who to pay attention to or what to expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I forgot that Hader used to be in the Astros farm system. Imagine that team with him.

• Locked thread