Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

FYI, it looks as if Gotham is only going to get a Season 5 if negotiations with the new Lethal Weapon lead falls through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So according to a recent interview with one of the producers for the show they are not allowed to ever call anyone "the Joker" and also they can make Jerome/Jeremiah look kind of like the Joker but they can't go full Joker and have both the white face and green hair. Because having every other Batman villain running around using their villain names is fine but they have to make an exception for the Joker because obviously they're going to be doing all those movies with him. You know, the movies that are nowhere near production and like every other DC movie plan will probably fall through before they ever do.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

It's likely moot anyways since I'm really expecting the show to get cancelled this week (if not tomorrow.)

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

It's likely moot anyways since I'm really expecting the show to get cancelled this week (if not tomorrow.)

Fox announces its schedule tomorrow at 4 eastern, so that's probably when a decision will be known.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

muscles like this! posted:

So according to a recent interview with one of the producers for the show they are not allowed to ever call anyone "the Joker" and also they can make Jerome/Jeremiah look kind of like the Joker but they can't go full Joker and have both the white face and green hair. Because having every other Batman villain running around using their villain names is fine but they have to make an exception for the Joker because obviously they're going to be doing all those movies with him. You know, the movies that are nowhere near production and like every other DC movie plan will probably fall through before they ever do.

This is dumb. Why is DC dumb.

Marvel does the same poo poo. People can tell the difference!

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

At this point I can take it or leave it with this show. Like if it gets renewed, I'll end up watching it. If it got cancelled, I wouldn't lost any sleep over it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Good news and bad news.

Good news: Renewed!

Bad news: For a final season that will probably only be 13 episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Good news and bad news.

Good news: Renewed!

Bad news: For a final season that will probably only be 13 episodes.

Better than so many shows got. I will take 13 episodes with a goddamned smile.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea a 13 episode season with a clear end in sight is the best idea.

I'm really glad they didn't go full Killing Joke on Selina. I saw someone mention somthing about that inregards to this episode, and I was worried that they'd do "the shoot her, take naked pictures of her" part. Glad they have more sense than most Batman fans have these days.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I'm honestly more surprised Lethal Weapon got a season 3.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That's good news. We can get a good finish that has no padding and be done.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Yeah, this is just good news as far as I'm concerned.

I mean, I'm worried that they'll also end up shucking some cast members, but I imagine that if they do it'll be Sophia, Rás and Lucius Fox. AKA none of the best characters.

Fingers crossed for a fourth Ivy and a third Kringle.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I mean, I'm worried that they'll also end up shucking some cast members, but I imagine that if they do it'll be Sophia, Rás and Lucius Fox. AKA none of the best characters.

It's pretty funny how often they've changed Ivy for what's been a total of about 6 episodes? None of which had any real consequence to the plot.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Kin posted:

It's pretty funny how often they've changed Ivy for what's been a total of about 6 episodes? None of which had any real consequence to the plot.

Yea, its one of the strangest things about the series. I wonder if it was just because they wanted to sex up the character, or maybe it was issues with the actor behind the scene? And honestly, the shows Ivy always bugged me because the idea of Pamela Isley being a genious biotanist and a woman who had really worked for success was a better character than "she liked plants and had magic powers".

4th Ivy can be Chelsea Spack.

I fele like Ras will be the ultimate villain, the one who finally gets Bruce to put on the cape.

My biggest worry is that they do something dumb like bring back Fish and make it all about her.

Doctor Discomfort
Jan 4, 2015

Burning_Monk posted:

I liked Jerome's more manic zaniness. Jeremiah's subtle "rational" crazy just isn't as compelling.

Yeah, there's something off about Jeremiah and I suspect he hasn't really gone off the deep end yet. If I was a writer for the show I'd have someone maybe Bruce try to kill him and Ecco ends up taking the bullet for him. That would be funny because then Bruce and Joker would both be the cause of each others' "One Bad Day" and if this isn't what happens I'll be disappointed.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Hope you guys are ready for Pennyworth

quote:

Epix is getting into the DC Comics business.

The MGM-owned premium cable network has handed out a 10-episode, straight-to-series order for Pennyworth, a drama set in the Batman universe from Gotham showrunner Bruno Heller.

The series will revolve around Alfred Pennyworth, the best friend, and butler to Bruce Wayne (aka Batman). The series is not a Gotham spinoff but rather an entire story exploring Alfred's origins as a former British SAS soldier who forms a secret company and goes to work with Thomas Wayne — Bruce's billionaire father, in 1960s London. Sean Pertwee, who plays Alfred Pennyworth on Fox's recently renewed Gotham, is not involved. Casting has not yet begun and the series is set in a completely different universe despite hailing from Heller and producers Warner Horizon.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/gotham-boss-sets-new-batman-prequel-series-at-epix-1112339

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Pass unless Pertwee

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Admittedly more happened than I was expecting, with Butch's death and all. I'm more nervous that this whole big "Everything is going crazy!" poo poo will wind up like when the inmates of Indian Hill escaped, where about 90% of it was resolved between seasons. And I gotta say, Barbara is doing her damndest to make this show unwatchable. This whole "gender war" thing she's been pushing all season has been pretty cringeworthy and childish.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
Having Pennyworth set in the 60s seems really odd and it seems like it would like it just makes it a more expensive costuming/set decor/etc. cost unless they're going to play it a bit like some classic James Bond sort of thing or they've got some really specific reason in mind for that being the era.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

TheLoneStar posted:

I'm more nervous that this whole big "Everything is going crazy!" poo poo will wind up like when the inmates of Indian Hill escaped, where about 90% of it was resolved between seasons.

They've been pretty candid in interviews about it being the blueprint for the entirety of next season.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea, a whole season of No Mans Land but without the interesting stuff would not be engaging. Oh another episode of Gordon trying to reason with one of the gangs, how fun.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

So I haven't read batman comics in earnest in well over 20 years so I recognized the Man-Bat of course, but who were the doll-face mom and son killers?

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

So I haven't read batman comics in earnest in well over 20 years so I recognized the Man-Bat of course, but who were the doll-face mom and son killers?

Mom and daughter killers most likely. Signs point to them being Mother and Orphan (Cassandra Cain). https://www.cbr.com/gotham-season-5-orphan-scarface-ventriloquist-lady-shiva/

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
That season finale was so good and I'm glad we're getting a final season but I'm pretty sure it's just going to make me want more I won't get and I don't know how to feel about that.

Like for all its faults the cast is goddamn incredible and I want to see them do a legit Batman show we'll never see.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 02:42 on May 21, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

SamuraiFoochs posted:

That season finale was so good and I'm glad we're getting a final season but I'm pretty sure it's just going to make me want more I won't get and I don't know how to feel about that.

Like for all its faults the cast is goddamn incredible and I want to see them do a legit Batman show we'll never see.

Just finished and also echoing everything in this post 100%

That was great, fun TV

LongDarkNight
Oct 25, 2010

It's like watching the collapse of Western civilization in fast forward.
Oven Wrangler
That finale was so bonkers and completely Gotham. Any idea who the child and woman wearing masks at the end are?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Speaking of things that are completely Gotham, I noticed this in the finale

Only registered members can see post attachments!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

In hindsight it is pretty bizarre that they went through all that effort with recasting Poison Ivy again just for a couple of episodes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

In hindsight it is pretty bizarre that they went through all that effort with recasting Poison Ivy again just for a couple of episodes.

Peyton List will not stop until she has been in EVERY show.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

I figured they were just doing what they did with Jerome last year. A three episode guest arc to keep her in play before having her come back in another arc next year.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Not even bringing Ivy back for "everyone carving out territories" is the among the weirdest choice they made.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Guys. Guys guys guys guys guys.

The second "joker", Jeremiah, who's so very much more into planning and being methodical and thinking things through...

He's a Practical Joker.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The second "joker", Jeremiah, who's so very much more into planning and being methodical and thinking things through...

He's a Practical Joker.
Get out.

Really though, I'm hoping this new gimmick with the "super sane" Joker starts to grow on me next season, since I have a feeling Jeremiah will be a lot more relevant than Jerome tended to be.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Jeremiah's Joker is interesting, but I really, really liked Jerome as this insane force who came in and blew apart everyone's plans.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

He's a Practical Joker.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The last shot of this show should be a shot of the Bat Signal in the sky, and it pans down to the police station roof top with Gordon's back to us. From off screen you hear a distinct gruff "Commissioner." as a shadow of a bat falls over Gordon. Gordon then turns around and reveals his mustache.

END CREDITS.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They've already announced a new character showing up next season that got teased earlier this one the mustache.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

The last shot of this show should be a shot of the Bat Signal in the sky, and it pans down to the police station roof top with Gordon's back to us. From off screen you hear a distinct gruff "Commissioner." as a shadow of a bat falls over Gordon. Gordon then turns around and reveals his mustache.

END CREDITS.

Static!
Jul 17, 2007

Hold on, I'm watching this...

:moustache:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

He's a Practical Joker.

Well played, sir. Well played.

I tried almost a dozen times in this thread to make a word-play joke that would win me praise from my fellow goons--I figured something would make folks laugh at my cleverness. But, no pun in ten did.

• Locked thread