Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So do the Aztecs need to send for a high priest from their homeland to crown an emperor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

On a lark I had my norse ruler join the assassins when I could. (It is based on proximity to shia). I think I like it better than the demon worshipers. You can still kidnap lots of useful people, but instead of slowly becoming a hideous lunatic if you use it too much, you just get better at murdering. I love murdering!

If you get caught the opinion malus for being an apostate isn't nearly as bad as the one for being a known demon worshiper. Once as order of Hel I got labled a witch and then later a demon worshiper, for two -50 opinion hits. WTF? Witch and demon worshiper are basically the same thing in this context.

You have to become a secret shia at the end of the initiation, but that doesn't affect anything important.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

I am hella PEEVED posted:

New expansion announcment. Guess its time to stop playing Vikings till it drops, so I can then play only the Vikings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEFoubsSzG8

Blurb from the paradox page that I dont see on the steam page
https://www.paradoxplaza.com/crusad...0180517_pla_ann

https://store.steampowered.com/app/756660/Expansion__Crusader_Kings_II_Holy_Fury/

Oh motherfuck I am so ready for this. It looks like they shamelessly poached some of the better CK2+/HIP mechanics and put a few layers of polish on them :swoon:

Also, are these new Slavic portrait packs I see?

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on May 19, 2018

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I've never played but just bought it because it was on sale and I've heard everyone talking about it for awhile. Plus I haven't played a big strategy game in ages.

Any DLC I shouldn't miss, or should I just play a bit with the vanilla game?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

That's one doozy of a DLC. I feel like it has the potential to change everything, although it'll probably be limited a little more. A wildly different looking Europe and famous bloodline traits are things that are almost straight from mods, but probably they'll work better.

That religion screen makes me hope that they also stick it into the non-pagan religions to give more texture to heresies.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Sgt. Anime Pederast posted:

The last DLC I bought was Charlemagne. What are the best things to get while they're on sale to get me going with CK2 again? (I mainly wanna worship satan lets be honest here)

Way of Life is pretty good, brings out great options for your rulers and things to do.

Monks and mystics is quickly becoming my favorite DLC. Join the hermetic society and raid an alchemist's laboratory, steal his papers and publish them as your own. Start as a high learning ruler and become the grandmaster of a wizard order.

The adversary one is fun as hell too. I had a 60 year old scottish money-grubbing duke (yes, stereotype, i know) turn to the society to finally get the throne of scotland.

I really don't want to spoil the events but i was laughing a lot. At one point i'd get a prompt to seduce any female in his court within two days of them arriving. Invite steward from distant realm, appoint him. My incorrigible ruler seduces the wife, and the steward now hates me and does his job poorly. Kidnap him, imprison him, invite another one, rinse and repeat.

That old duke was a piece of poo poo but man was he the funniest character i played.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Never raid a lab unless you want to spend forty years imprisoned by your rival.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf
How does the Rival/Adversary system work? I poked around on the wiki and didn't see anything.

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I've never played but just bought it because it was on sale and I've heard everyone talking about it for awhile. Plus I haven't played a big strategy game in ages.

Any DLC I shouldn't miss, or should I just play a bit with the vanilla game?

If you've never played the game you can just do Way of Life and you are set. People played and loved the base game for hundreds of hours before any DLC even existed. You can always grow your DLC collection later, it goes on sale every 3 months or so.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

I finally got around to getting this game and spending a weekend watching videos etc figuring out how to actually play it. Started out with vanilla and just grabbed a few of the mentioned 'must have' DLCs due to the sale.

Was laughing my rear end off last night starting out in Ireland. I got about 75% of Ireland claimed and was pretty chill just working on breeding up a good set of future rulers and joined in on the 1st Crusade to come along.

Went down to Andalucia with 4k troops and sieged a couple of cities and poo poo and then promptly got steamrolled by a 15k strong army. Our warscore was like -20% at this point so I just disbanded my ships and kinda forgot about the whole thing. Turns out some other big catholic power stormed in and we won the crusade. I was just putzing along and all of a sudden got spammed with a ton of "demesne too big" / "wrong type of holdings" messages and was like wtf do I do now. It was like a month before I realized that I 'won' the crusade and was gifted like 1/2 of Spain. So after I figured out how to divvy up my new empire I started thinking about maybe moving the capital to Spain and expanding into the rest of Europe directly, maybe with a little reconquista on the way.

Alas, Jihad was called and I was pushed out of Spain quickly. So I figured ok meh back to focusing on Ireland. But, for some reason we weren't at 100% warscore yet. 2-3 months later queue about 15k Morrocans sailing into Dublin wrecking poo poo. I just busted out laughing like crazy as I watched my little proto-kingdom get torched.

This game is fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

It is, I really need to buy the last few DLCs and jump into the game again.

Once you get a bit more experience I also heartily recommend "roleplaying" your rulers at least a little and letting their traits influence how you do things instead of just picking the most optimal choice.

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Just got horse lords and nomads are hilariously broken but really fun. Subjugating the Byzantines in one war is hilarious

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Galaga Galaxian posted:

It is, I really need to buy the last few DLCs and jump into the game again.

Once you get a bit more experience I also heartily recommend "roleplaying" your rulers at least a little and letting their traits influence how you do things instead of just picking the most optimal choice.

Yeah that would be cool. Right now I am still in the 'what does this mean / what does this do' phase of things. I can kinda get things working but at some points I am sure I am making super terrible decisions that should be easy to avoid.

DISCO KING
Oct 30, 2012

STILL
TRYING
TOO
HARD
That is actually my favorite part of the game though

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

That Works posted:

Yeah that would be cool. Right now I am still in the 'what does this mean / what does this do' phase of things. I can kinda get things working but at some points I am sure I am making super terrible decisions that should be easy to avoid.

I find the best video game stories comes from players who aren't that good at the game yet constructing a narrative around what happened. Players who ARE good and know all the ins-and-outs tend to have very boring stories unless they deliberately let themselves go or roleplay or whatever, specifically because they keep avoiding all kinds of mistakes and smoothing their endless path upwards.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 00:59 on May 20, 2018

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Tomn posted:

I find the best video game stories comes from players who aren't that good at the game yet constructing a narrative around what happened. Players who ARE good and know all the ins-and-outs tend to have very boring stories unless they deliberately let themselves go or roleplay or whatever, specifically because they keep avoiding all kinds of mistakes and smoothing their endless path upwards.

I mean yeah it was pretty cool getting mad because I couldn't figure out how to load my troops onto my boats and then like 3 years later in game having the Pope give me half of Spain just because I forgot to disband my little half dead army. Then when I felt all badass about being able to hold it for a few I get jihadists in Dublin and ohgod no no no stop

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

By the way, did the AI ever get better about stuff like this? :v:

Galaga Galaxian posted:

This is dumb, I really wish we could coordinate with allies better. If we just combined forces we could probably win against the enemy.

[edit] Oh don't worry yourselves about coming over and helping, Lombards. I've totally got this. Assholes.

I can't believe I won that, I mean yeah its mass Heavy Infantry vs Mass Light Infantry making a river crossing, but drat.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

One of the DLCs lets you give orders to your allies.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.
When will EU4 get the same pretty borders patch? Map staring games are unplayable without them.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Holy Fury has a ton of stuff people have been wanting for years. If this is the last DLC they are going out with a bang.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Are viceroyalties bugged? If I give someone a kingdom and all the lower duchies at once then they become a viceroy king but permanent duke.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Arbite posted:

Are viceroyalties bugged? If I give someone a kingdom and all the lower duchies at once then they become a viceroy king but permanent duke.

I haven't messed around with viceroyalties too much, but what MIGHT be happening is that a viceroyalty reverts to the king of the region rather than the top-level title in the realm when it expires. Since if you give a viceroyal duke a kingdom title he ends up with control over the ducal titles as well, he can make himself the permanent titled duke and then hand out the rest of the ducal titles as he pleases (viceroyalties being better for him).

It might also be bugged, though, I haven't worked too much with viceroyalties and it could be that intended behavior is the viceroyalties going to the top level title.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

SlothfulCobra posted:

One of the DLCs lets you give orders to your allies.

uhhhh which one is that?

edit: oh looks like its Monks and Mystics

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So, this was my latest adventure:

Meridian: Well, diving back into CK2
Meridian: start as the like 70 year old chief of dublin with kind of a lovely heir so I said gently caress it, we'll go seduction focus, marry some young lustful lady and try to bang out a few more kids before he croaks
Meridian: no sooner than that plan begins to get underway, he gets hit with the flu. Not wanting to risk him dying so soon, I opted for extreme treatment.
Meridian: loving court physician cut his dick off.
Meridian: Then he died a few minutes later.

I guess that went about how you'd expect.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
That reformation screen is interesting. You decide the nature, doctrine and leadership of your faith. In that example they've chosen temporal leadership. I think that's the Muslim and Norse model of playable head of faith. In contrast to spiritual, which would be the usual unplayable high priest model.

The early information about the DLC and the free patch seems really great. Might be a very fitting final DLC/major content patch.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

Meridian posted:

Not wanting to risk...extreme treatment.

Not two phrases would I have expected to go together, honestly. I only ever opt for extreme treatment when I figure death is likely anyways.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Tomn posted:

Not two phrases would I have expected to go together, honestly. I only ever opt for extreme treatment when I figure death is likely anyways.

Yeah, in retrospect that was probably a terrible idea. Honestly I'm still super new at the game and I didn't read the tooltip until I started up another game. Didn't pay attention really to how the different options worked.

I do love this game though. So good.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So question, because I'm not sure why this isn't working. Two games in a row I started 769 Ireland in Ormond. Used my chancellor to press claims up north, with the intention of taking over the duchy of Munster with ducal claims. So, I take one, no problem. When I take the last, I don't have direct control over it. It still has another character in control of it. Shouldn't that not be the case?

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009
A Ducal claim is a claim that you are the lord who the current Count owes allegiance to, not a claim on the title of the provincial ruler.

Same thing works for all levels above, if you have a claim on the Kingdom of Ireland, you are claiming all Dukes in Ireland should be your vassal, not that you should be Count of every single province.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Fellblade posted:

A Ducal claim is a claim that you are the lord who the current Count owes allegiance to, not a claim on the title of the provincial ruler.

Same thing works for all levels above, if you have a claim on the Kingdom of Ireland, you are claiming all Dukes in Ireland should be your vassal, not that you should be Count of every single province.

Ah that helps, so probably the best way to go would be to use the piety CB to take over the whole duchy then create it?

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Meridian posted:

Ah that helps, so probably the best way to go would be to use the piety CB to take over the whole duchy then create it?

I can't recall at the top of my hat which CB you are referring to, but it's not necessary. You can just play from the save where you became the duke of the other guy. Wait 5 (10?) years for your truce to run out, then just revoke the county from him. Problem solved.

Important: You CANNOT rule every single province yourself if you are the ruler of any thing more than one or two duchies. Crusader Kings is intentionally built with vassal management in mind. It's nearly always right to rule all counties in your core duchy yourself, but you will need at least vassal counts if you are ruling the whole Kingdom of Ireland, which is one of the smaller kingdoms. Dealing with powerful but unruly vassals is an integral part of the game, unless you play variants like merchant republics. And even in merchant republics, the other 4 patrician families will create problems for you. Internal troubles are as much part of the CK2 experience as outside threats.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Torrannor posted:

I can't recall at the top of my hat which CB you are referring to, but it's not necessary. You can just play from the save where you became the duke of the other guy. Wait 5 (10?) years for your truce to run out, then just revoke the county from him. Problem solved.

Important: You CANNOT rule every single province yourself if you are the ruler of any thing more than one or two duchies. Crusader Kings is intentionally built with vassal management in mind. It's nearly always right to rule all counties in your core duchy yourself, but you will need at least vassal counts if you are ruling the whole Kingdom of Ireland, which is one of the smaller kingdoms. Dealing with powerful but unruly vassals is an integral part of the game, unless you play variants like merchant republics. And even in merchant republics, the other 4 patrician families will create problems for you. Internal troubles are as much part of the CK2 experience as outside threats.

Yeah I was keeping an eye on the Demense limit, I just didn't understand why I could conquer the first guy and take the county as my own, but not the second.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

By the way, did the AI ever get better about stuff like this? :v:

The changelog for the newest patch mentioned having improved the AI for situations like this

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Meridian posted:

So, this was my latest adventure:

Meridian: Well, diving back into CK2
Meridian: start as the like 70 year old chief of dublin with kind of a lovely heir so I said gently caress it, we'll go seduction focus, marry some young lustful lady and try to bang out a few more kids before he croaks
Meridian: no sooner than that plan begins to get underway, he gets hit with the flu. Not wanting to risk him dying so soon, I opted for extreme treatment.
Meridian: loving court physician cut his dick off.
Meridian: Then he died a few minutes later.

I guess that went about how you'd expect.

IIRC in 1066 the rulers of Leinster and Dublin are father and son, so if you play the inheritance game as Dublin right you'll inherit Leinster when your father dies

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Update from the CK board game, the sculpt for the court Physician:

Looks like he's been testing out treatments on himself.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Jedit posted:

Update from the CK board game, the sculpt for the court Physician:

Looks like he's been testing out treatments on himself.

:ssh:that's the marshal

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room

Rumda posted:

:ssh:that's the marshal

If the court physician isn't grinning sadistically while dual-wielding a jar of angry bees and a giant pair of castrating shears, I'm going to be very disappointed.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I still don't think I 'get' how military/armies work in this game but I'm having fun!

Started as the child king of France, by the time he was 30 I had lost all of France except for Orleans and Paris :thumbsup: and then a dude from Verdun invaded me and imprisoned every member of my family except for two of my brothers.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

I still don't think I 'get' how military/armies work in this game but I'm having fun!

Sounds appropriate for most rulers of the time.

Didn't stop them, don't let it stop you!

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Meridian posted:

Yeah, in retrospect that was probably a terrible idea. Honestly I'm still super new at the game and I didn't read the tooltip until I started up another game. Didn't pay attention really to how the different options worked.

I do love this game though. So good.

basically, extreme treatment is, you trade a random body part for a decently high chance that, no matter what it is, you'll make it through the illness.

you do not want to do this for the loving flu. save it for, like, cancer or one of the other really nasty ailments. for the flu, regular treatment is perfectly fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

basically, extreme treatment is, you trade a random body part for a decently high chance that, no matter what it is, you'll make it through the illness.

you do not want to do this for the loving flu. save it for, like, cancer or one of the other really nasty ailments. for the flu, regular treatment is perfectly fine.

I once had my court physician cure Rabies by cutting out my eye. Pretty good deal all things considered.

• Locked thread