Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Megazver posted:

Stoneshard is a modern take on the classic turn-based roguelike, a bit like Dungeons of Dredmor that's more Darkest Dungeons-flavored. It's by the devs of 12 is better than 6 which was also crowdfunded and came out to be a fairly decent budget Hotline Miami-like. They're also my fellow Russkies and they probably need the cash, so pls bck ktnx.

Man I LOOOVE the art here and the aesthetic but I do not really like classic rogue games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Not only is it copying cuphead's style, the name is loving steamboat wbillie, which is a blatant knockoff of one of the things that cuphead was aping in a less direct manner.

Uggggh.

Why do you guys care though? People rip off popular games all the time. As long as they're not ripping off assets/character designs, who cares?

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord

TOOT BOOT posted:

Why do you guys care though? People rip off popular games all the time. As long as they're not ripping off assets/character designs, who cares?

This, and also the game doesn't sound like it plays like Cuphead at all

al-azad
May 28, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

If your ripoff doesn’t look good then prepare for mockery.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Zaphod42 posted:

Man I LOOOVE the art here and the aesthetic but I do not really like classic rogue games.

You could try the prologue and see if maybe the gameplay clicks for you in this one, I suppose.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Zaphod42 posted:

Not only is it copying cuphead's style, the name is loving steamboat wbillie, which is a blatant knockoff of one of the things that cuphead was aping in a less direct manner.

Uggggh.

No, it was a minor bugfix patch. The next patch will add pro controller compatibility to the multiplayer modes, and the devs are aware of the performance issues, but there's no ETA for an optimisation patch at this point.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I'm glad someone mentioned PoE 2 was now out, because I had to change email address on my Obsidian and Fig accounts mid last year, and now despite being on the same new email the Obsidian account has no record of my Fig backing of PoE2, and my Fig account didn't email me to let me know the game had launched.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Cuphead doesn't own the concept of 'looking like early cartoons', and maybe people want to play a game like that which isn't a stupidly difficult run and gun platformer.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
"Ripping off Cuphead" is a concise and simplified critique of the game's aesthetic. Cuphead went to incredible lengths to replicate the aesthetic of Fleischer era cartoons. When a game is unveiled a little bit after Cuphead was a massive success that has a similar but very bad mediocre and uninformed attempt at aping the same styles it's easy to assume the developers are choosing to use that aesthetic because Cuphead was successful with it.
If it actually looked good or brought anything unique to the table the claims it's a rip off would be much rarer and less biting, but instead it looks like someone who makes lovely flash games played Cuphead.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Memento posted:

I know it's not a Kickstarter but it's pretty relevant to most of this thread. I just backed this book project on Unbound. Full disclosure: I am an insane map nerd so maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this.

Virtual Cities.

I thought City 17 was in or at least heavily inspired by eastern Europe, so why is it laid out like loving New York?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Because valve are hacks

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Valve didn't make that map.

City 17 isn't gridded like that at all in-game. Source probably would've melted if it was, the constant curves and dead ends and barriers were a bit of an engine necessity.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:35 on May 21, 2018

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Also that picture is probably just "put a picture of a city in next to some lorem ipsum text so we can get it up on the website"

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

The text is not ipsum lorem.

"When it comes to spatial organization, City 17 adheres to the historically popular but versatile [I can't read this word] plan which is broken up by a select few diagonal avenues, and is currently in the process of re-arranging itself around the Citadel. The bulk of the built environment consists of wall to wall buildings organized around courtyards, mid-rise..."

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Both the text and map are from the full excerpt available at the bottom of the page, so it's something they are using to advertise this book.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

Fangz posted:

Cuphead doesn't own the concept of 'looking like early cartoons', and maybe people want to play a game like that which isn't a stupidly difficult run and gun platformer.
Ah yes, such amazing cutting-edge gameplay like:
- QTE combat
- Crafting
- Collecting creatures with different rarities
Throw in some energy mechanics and you got an App Store hit.

Also, it looks like rear end:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Enh, not saying this new game is any good, but the existence of cuphead shouldn't really be much of a factor.

EDIT: I mean, that aesthetic is neat and I don't think we need to demand all devs attempting it to remortgage their homes, quit their jobs, and work 34 hours in a row like the cuphead devs did for five years to attain Full Commitment To The Aesthetic. Doing a cheapo-cuphead game especially in a different genre is entirely legitimate, the question is whether the final product is any good.

I don't think it looks that bad for an indie rpg, really. And they have time to work on refining the aesthetic.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 21, 2018

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Hel posted:

I thought City 17 was in or at least heavily inspired by eastern Europe, so why is it laid out like loving New York?

New York's grid is way more consistent than that. :smugbert:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Hel posted:

The City 17 skybox you see very briefly during one of the final chapters of HL2 is a satellite image of nighttime New York.

I don't think you're supposed to read more into it than City 17 being enormous though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Wow, never realized how loving lazy they were with that. That looks terrible.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
I mean it's a texture that's seen at the end of the game for maybe 5 seconds.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Fuzz posted:

Wow, never realized how loving lazy they were with that. That looks terrible.

it was 2004

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Have you never seen a skybox before?

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.

Fangz posted:

I don't think it looks that bad for an indie rpg, really. And they have time to work on refining the aesthetic.

It's not bad, it's just the 'commit to the aesthetic" bit. Had this come before Cuphead people would be rightly excited, but Cuphead guys went the extra mile (well, parsec) and actually used the production process of the time, which is insane - and it payed off in droves. Having it look like a flash game in contrast is underwhelming. That's it.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Bit late, but Black Geyser has now introduced social stretch goals as well. Looks doable, in fact, it appears the first two stretch goals (party romance and pets) have already been reached. They just haven't gotten around to updating the graphic yet.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Memento posted:

I know it's not a Kickstarter but it's pretty relevant to most of this thread. I just backed this book project on Unbound. Full disclosure: I am an insane map nerd so maybe I'm the only one who is interested in this.

Virtual Cities.
I backed this, but Unbound has the hallmarks of a lovely platform. The price nearly doubles when you add in shipping, since Unbound is London-based everyone outside the UK needs international shipping. A problem of geography sure, but for a project like this, the vast majority of people are going to need the book shipped internationally. For me it went from the listed tier of $35 for the basic hardcover edition to $60 including shipping, which is a hell of a cost hike not to put upfront. They also take your money right away, only offering credit in their system if you back an unsuccessful campaign. You have to personally get in touch with them to actually get a refund of your money for a failed project.

I'm obviously excited about the book since I paid $60 for it, it'll fit in with all my gaming artbooks that are way too nerdy to ever show anyone, but man does the platform Dimopoulos pick for crowdfunding it suck.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fangz posted:

No it doesn't, but if I put out a game called "Shadowy Souls" that was a RPG set in gothic horror it would be rightly derided as a knockoff. Dark souls doesn't own gothic horror, they just copied Berserk if anything. But they did a ton of original design and adaptation in the process.

If Dark Souls was called "Ragezerk" then it would be given some crap as a knockoff too. And thats going from manga to game, going from game to game is less inspired and more "lets make a quick buck".

Just be a little more creative than that. Even when Fortnight ripped off PUBG they didn't call it "Epic Games' Warfronts" and they did a different aesthetic.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Sorry, but "Steamboat Billy" seems lazy as hell.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Even putting aside asthetics, the design of the game seems like some cargo cult poo poo. A Zelda Style overworld (!), with Paper Mario style battles (!!), with collectable monsters that you can raise and evolve (!!!), and, for whatever reason, crafting (!!!!).

Granted, it is hard to say if it is actually done well. Level 5 made their career by stuffing their games with whatever systems they can think of and I love those games.

One thing that I immediately can say I do not like is sailing. Not looking forward to holding directional buttons for several screens on the same water tile.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of games heavily based on recent successes, here's Darkest Dungeon, but with a Return of Werdna twist, which I'm backing because I like the ideas I'm seeing even though I fully acknowledge that their base asking goal (a mere 20k USD) is quite the warning sign.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Still waiting for someone to spiritual successor Rocket Jockey and I’m too lazy/busy to do it myself.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Yodzilla posted:

Still waiting for someone to spiritual successor Rocket Jockey and I’m too lazy/busy to do it myself.

I prototyped the main mechanic awhile back in Unity but yeah, same here. Love that game.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Speaking of games heavily based on recent successes, here's Darkest Dungeon, but with a Return of Werdna twist, which I'm backing because I like the ideas I'm seeing even though I fully acknowledge that their base asking goal (a mere 20k USD) is quite the warning sign.

Wow that combat screen is literally Darkest Dungeon. But most RPGs either do the dragon warrior thing or the final fantasy thing so whatever. At least its not called Barkest Dungeon.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Clicked the link and now sad it's not a dog - based darkest dungeon

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Clicked the link and now sad it's not a dog - based darkest dungeon

That would be unbelievably rad. I was just going off the "Steamboat Billy" thing, sorry to give you false hope.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Speaking of dog related Darkest Dungeon, there was a successful kickstarter a few years ago for a Homeward Bound esque game where you're looking for your master in a big city. Anyone remember this?

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

al-azad posted:

Speaking of dog related Darkest Dungeon, there was a successful kickstarter a few years ago for a Homeward Bound esque game where you're looking for your master in a big city. Anyone remember this?
Home Free?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Yep, that's it. Estimated release 2016, huh?

Still waiting on Omori as well.

Mr Underhill
Feb 14, 2012

Not picking that up.
I first came across Life of Delta when a dev posted some gifs of their environment in a facebook group and boy, did it look good.

As is the case with most things on Kickstarter lately, the campaign's struggling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

Zaphod42 posted:

Wow that combat screen is literally Darkest Dungeon. But most RPGs either do the dragon warrior thing or the final fantasy thing so whatever. At least its not called Barkest Dungeon.

As an update I actually cancelled my pledge after finding out not only is one of their dev teamed nicknamed 'Nerd Commando' :rolleyes: but he may also be a scammer and a racist? I didn't see anything definite but along with that super-low base goal I think I can wait until it's out before buying it.