Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
"Fly her apart, then!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
"My GOD!!!"

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 20, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

"If I were human, I believe my response would be 'go to hell. If I were human." :smug:

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

"We am thy freighter Ursva... We is condemning food, things and supplies."
"Is it possible that we two, you and I, have grown so old and so inflexible that we have outlived our usefulness?"
"...We stand ready to assist you."
"Not so big as her Captain, I think."
"Captain's log, stardate 9529.1. This is the final cruise of the starship Enterprise under my command. This ship and her history will shortly become the care of another crew. To them and their posterity will we commit our future. They will continue the voyages we have begun and journey to all the undiscovered countries, boldly going where no man – where no one – has gone before."

So many great moments in that movie.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I ignore the movies because there aren't any niner movies.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Shibawanko posted:

"Tough little ship."
"Little?!?"

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Might wanna get your memory tested, Timby.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

FlamingLiberal posted:

Pretty sure if you put Star Trek V as the 2nd best Trek film you are trolling

Laddie... don't ya think you should... rephrase that?

You're right. I should. I didn't mean to say that the Final Frontier should be #2. I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS #2!

(I like TFF a lot but even I wouldn't rank it as 2nd best)

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Laddie... don't ya think you should... rephrase that?

You're right. I should. I didn't mean to say that the Final Frontier should be #2. I meant to say that it should be hauled away AS #2!

lol

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

The multi-part finale sort of functions like a string of 45 minute long movies.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

I think it's definitely arguable that even if you prefer First Contact, TNG is the best "TNG film" while First Contact represents a new series that happens to star the TNG cast.

It's definitely the most TNG film anyway, right down to the writers loving up the last half like so many of the TNG two parters. :v:

Generations is really the "proper" TNG finale, given they rolled straight from All Good Things into production of it.

I will also be sad that they scrapped the Ent-D because it would have been awesome to see it given some of the shots the Ent-E gets. Imagine the shots of walking around on the hull of the ship from FC.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My favorite alternate First Contact courtesy of this thread is now Sisko telling Picard to blow up the Enterpise-D.

I love that ship, she deserved a better death.

Plotac 75
Aug 8, 2007
Mysteries of the ancient lizardman sealed by ancient, mysterious lizard magicks lost in the mysterious realm of ancient lizardmen from ages far, far ago.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

My favorite alternate First Contact courtesy of this thread is now Sisko telling Picard to blow up the Enterpise-D.

I love that ship, she deserved a better death.

As an alternate for the 'broke your little ships' scene? That sounds... like it would be pretty darned good.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

watching Sub Rosa

how did this season 1 episode make it into season 7

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
First Contact did give us this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MgD-UK_zn3k

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Plotac 75 posted:

As an alternate for the 'broke your little ships' scene? That sounds... like it would be pretty darned good.

Yeah, someone once suggested that the Enterprise rescues both Sisko and Worf from the Defiant and Sisko essentially take’s Alfre Woodard’s place. You could examine how both captains have (or haven’t in Picard’s case) learned to cope with their borg-related PTSD.

It seems like such a no-brainer in retrospect that I can hear Avery Brooks bellowing “JEAN-LUC, BLOW UP THE drat SHIP”.

Big Mean Jerk fucked around with this message at 03:50 on May 21, 2018

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Yeah, someone once suggested that the Enterprise rescues both Sisko and Worf from the Defiant and Sisko essentially take’s Alfre Woodard’s place. You could examine how both captains have (or haven’t in Picard’s case) learned to cope with their borg-related PTSD.

It seems like such a no-brainer in retrospect that I can hear Avery Brooks bellowing “JEAN-LUC, BLOW UP THE drat SHIP”.

drat, that is SUCH a good idea.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

How is this episode not considered worse than Threshold

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Nodosaur posted:

watching Sub Rosa

how did this season 1 episode make it into season 7

Nodosaur posted:

How is this episode not considered worse than Threshold

It is worse than Threshold, but Threshold introduces Warp Canon Facts that Are Dumb so nerds get more mad about that, I think.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The original script for First Contact has Picard on Earth and Riker fighting the Borg on the ship. I always figured if there was going to be a hypothetical TNG/DS9 crossover in FC you’d keep that setup for the Enterprise crew and have Sisko pull rank on Riker when the Borg show up, assume command, and go full Ahab. Not sure what could be done on Earth though to make it seem worthy of keeping Picard down there though, unless the movie is fighting the Borg on the ship and in the town.

WampaLord posted:

It is worse than Threshold, but Threshold introduces Warp Canon Facts that Are Dumb so nerds get more mad about that, I think.

I think it depends on if you think ghost sex or salamander sex is worse.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kibayasu posted:

I think it depends on if you think ghost sex or salamander sex is worse.

To me, it's just judging each episode as an hour of television. Sub Rosa is awful from beginning to end, Threshold is mostly fine and then has a total WTF ending, I'd happily rewatch Threshold up until the final 10 minutes or so, not the same with Sub Rosa.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I dunno if I really like the idea of handing off the role of the guy with the personal conflict with the Borg off to someone who isn't Picard. Sisko's beef with them isn't nearly as personal; yes, he lost someone, but it's more like losing your loved one to a natural disaster, because the Borg are such an imposing, impersonal enemy to most people. They're like a force of nature. Meanwhile Picard was utterly and completely violated by them and has more significant emotional stakes against the collective.

EDIT - also, Threshold is just a really stupid, somewhat squicky story. Sub Rosa is both extremely stupid, it has extremely unfortunate things to say about women, has Troi grabbing the idiot ball and being okay with things she really shouldn't be okay with, and ends on a sentimental note about what is essentially an undead sex offender.

Threshold is just mind-numbingly dumb. Sub Rosa is mind numbingly dumb and offensive.

Nodosaur fucked around with this message at 04:13 on May 21, 2018

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
Sisko seems pretty over his Borg experience though. He poured all his grief and rage into designing the Defiant and by the time we see him on DS9 he’s moved on. Granted, DS9 never had him directly confront the Borg, but you figure it would take a massively traumatic experience to trigger that again.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My favorite thing in Threshold is there's a character that is a kazon spy or something. When a couple characters are discussing the mechanics of warp 10, it turns around and looks intrigued.

But if you don't know that character is a spy, which the episode doesn't tell you, you just get that he turns around and has a huge "What the gently caress?" look of confusion when they talk about how warp 10 works, it looks like he's thinking "nah, that can't be right"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Nodosaur posted:

I dunno if I really like the idea of handing off the role of the guy with the personal conflict with the Borg off to someone who isn't Picard. Sisko's beef with them isn't nearly as personal; yes, he lost someone, but it's more like losing your loved one to a natural disaster, because the Borg are such an imposing, impersonal enemy to most people. They're like a force of nature. Meanwhile Picard was utterly and completely violated by them and has more significant emotional stakes against the collective.

That's not what is being proposed. People are saying Sisko replace the black lady who is the one who gets Picard to realize that this is a force of nature and he's letting a vendetta get in the way of his duty.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

That's not what is being proposed. People are saying Sisko replace the black lady who is the one who gets Picard to realize that this is a force of nature and he's letting a vendetta get in the way of his duty.

The person you’re quoting was referring to the idea that Sisko would pull rank on Riker and undergo Picard’s Ahab arc

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I was suggesting the other thing. One of the complaints us nerds have about FC is that it sort of rewrites Picard’s character from the TV show. Admittedly having Sisko go a tad nuts is out of character too but less so, I think.

And if you wanted to keep FC as Zombies But Star Trek and keep Picard’s arc from the movie we did get then you could have him fight Borg on Earth as well. Do some parallel development poo poo between Sisko in orbit and Picard on the planet. Or Sisko in the planet, still works.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

How about this, instead of going back to first contact of Vulcan and Earth they go back to first contact of the Borg and humans, Sisko could theoretically prevent Wolf 359

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Sisko seems pretty over his Borg experience though. He poured all his grief and rage into designing the Defiant

That could play into some interesting themes too in this theoretical version of FC where Sisko is shown being pulled off the Defiant instead of Worf. Maybe the Defiant does get destroyed and Sisko faces another huge emotional blow due to the Borg, as well as a huge flashback to his Wolf 359 experience. Then it's all the more meaningful when he's the one who is telling Picard to get a grip and blow up the drat ship.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

That could play into some interesting themes too in this theoretical version of FC where Sisko is shown being pulled off the Defiant instead of Worf. Maybe the Defiant does get destroyed and Sisko faces another huge emotional blow due to the Borg, as well as a huge flashback to his Wolf 359 experience. Then it's all the more meaningful when he's the one who is telling Picard to get a grip and blow up the drat ship.

Shiiiiiiiiiit, I like this fanfic even more now. You’d still have to explain all this on DS9 after the movie though.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Shiiiiiiiiiit, I like this fanfic even more now. You’d still have to explain all this on DS9 after the movie though.

Well, it just bumps up the whole "the Defiant got destroyed, so we got you another one" thing they do later in Ds9...

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

On the other hand, I never got the impression that Sisko was that invested in the Defiant. It seems to be designed to be mass produced, not a one-off wonder ship and he certainly bounces back fast when the original Defiant is destroyed by the Breen.

Bajor is what Sisko is emotionally attached to, he wasn't invested in his ship like Picard. Picard in that scene could easily fire back asking if Sisko would be willing to destroy Bajor to stop the Borg.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Also the station, but you could probably consider that an extension of Bajor in some respects.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

Cythereal posted:

On the other hand, I never got the impression that Sisko was that invested in the Defiant. It seems to be designed to be mass produced, not a one-off wonder ship and he certainly bounces back fast when the original Defiant is destroyed by the Breen.

Bajor is what Sisko is emotionally attached to, he wasn't invested in his ship like Picard. Picard in that scene could easily fire back asking if Sisko would be willing to destroy Bajor to stop the Borg.

Still, though, imagine a setup where at the top of the movie he has to abandon ship and maybe they frame it in such a way where it's eerily parallel to the destruction of that Miranda where Jennifer died.

Two Captains reliving the worst day of their lives, which happened to be the same day.

Drink-Mix Man fucked around with this message at 04:44 on May 21, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Still, though, imagine a setup where at the top of the movie he has to abandon ship and maybe they frame it in such a way where it's eerily parallel to the destruction of that Miranda where Jennifer died...

I don't think that would work unless you're talking about killing Jadzia or Jake in Jennifer's place.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Assuming you meant Generations, this is a good observation

This but also TMP

I'm pretty sure I remember reading Nimoy objected to it

"LET them die."
"You have not experienced Shakespeare til you have read it in the original Klingon."
"Don't wait for the translation, answer me NOW!"
"Tach bach, tach bech"
Sulu's teacup
"We need breathing room!" "Earth, Hitler, 1938."
Mind rape
"Second star to the right..."
"Guess who's coming to dinner."
Knee balls
Shapeshifter woman
Everyone stands around at the end for a picture nobody takes
Chekov smirking about the Russian epic of Cinderella before realizing crewman Dax is a big freaky foot man
Big blobs of zero-G Pepto Bismol blood
Bones banging on the dying Klingon Chancellor's chest in a desperate attempt to perform CPR, while the Klingons stand around wondering what the hell he is doing
That torpedo that goes right through the hall and smashes the dining room where they had the hosed-up dinner to pieces
That whole dinner
Torpedo surgery
That trial with the shadowy judge with the spherical gavel and all those Klingons in the audience holding pain sticks chanting for blood
Killer performances by Christopher Plummer and David Warner

God drat what a good movie

"There's an old Vulcan proverb: 'Only Nixon could go to China.'"

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I enjoy First Contact because Picard never really got closure over the Borg. Even the episode immediately after Best of Both Worlds doesn’t really do that, because the point of the episode is that Picard isn’t going to get over this for a very very long time. Taking that away and handing it over to Sisko... I just don’t like it. Sisko’s primary emotional arc is elsewhere.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Nodosaur posted:

Sisko doesn't have a beef with the Borg. He has a beef with Picard.

Ugh. That could have been so good as the first TNG movie.

Zesty fucked around with this message at 06:18 on May 21, 2018

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

I would pay money for a comic book version of this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Zesty posted:

Sisko doesn't have a beef with the Borg. He has a beef with Picard.

Ugh. That could have been so good as the first TNG movie.

That could have been addressed fantastically assuming the holodeck shootout still happens in the Sisko/Picard team-up. Picard goes nuts shooting the Borg and Sisko calls him out on it, saying something about how they could have been saved, with Picard retorting that even if they lived they would be forever haunted by what they had done, the memories of losing control of their own bodies.