Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Boinks
Nov 24, 2003

That was my favorite episode of Fear, this show has really come a long way from flipping pickup trucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

I low-key hope Morgan teaches Alicia aikido now lmao. His curse only claims the firstborn, that's why lil poo poo Henry is still alive. Alicia should be safe.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Boinks posted:

That was my favorite episode of Fear, this show has really come a long way from flipping pickup trucks.

So finished all the way to the current ep. gently caress, what a ride. Loved Season 3. Loved the retreat into the bunker and the slow inevitable decline. That was beautiful stuff. I was sure it wouldn’t get better. Then I watched Season 4. Thank you OP and thread. Blows away the main show.

Nick nooooooooo! God that hit me harder than I would’ve thought years ago when I couldn’t get past the first episode. Both horrible and fitting. That final scene where he was lying among the flowers almost brought me to tears. The “funeral” episode after was brutal.
Seriously good show. This and the Expanse are now my sole can’t miss shows. Thanks again goons.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Oh no the cowboy is shooting off fingers. This show is changing.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

So the show is gone until June then two episodes till the fall? What the gently caress AMC?

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

What the gently caress

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
So is this season just to kill off every character but leave morgan alive? Or is some guy with a stick gonna solve everyones broken hearts?

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

Von_Doom posted:

Nick nooooooooo! God that hit me harder than I would’ve thought years ago when I couldn’t get past the first episode. Both horrible and fitting. That final scene where he was lying among the flowers almost brought me to tears. The “funeral” episode after was brutal.
Fuckin' right? Not gonna lie it hit me harder than I thought it would. They always reminded me a lot of my best friend, it was kind of a trip. I ended up crying a little, and I don't believe I've ever cried over a TV character death before (a couple movies and video games have done it for me though).

Tenzarin posted:

So is this season just to kill off every character but leave morgan alive? Or is some guy with a stick gonna solve everyones broken hearts?
They're not gonna kill him off. I don't believe it. They put way to much effort into his character in a short amount of time just to kill him off like that. He's the first character we see in the premier. TV magic is gonna save him.

Acacia REI fucked around with this message at 09:11 on May 21, 2018

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

This really isn't that good.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I knew she was gonna turn vulture, it just makes sense

Also we all know that one little 5.56 can't take out a John Dorie, not like that at least

Laura better start nursing

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
I'm so confused now.

Acacia REI posted:

Fuckin' right? Not gonna lie it hit me harder than I thought it would. They always reminded me a lot of my best friend, it was kind of a trip. I ended up crying a little, and I don't believe I've ever cried over a TV character death before (a couple movies and video games have done it for me though).

They're not gonna kill him off. I don't believe it. They put way to much effort into his character in a short amount of time just to kill him off like that. He's the first character we see in the premier. TV magic is gonna save him.
Yes this sets up scenes or a montage of Naomi nursing him to health and their awkward, non-answer conversations."Why did you leave?" "I don't wanna talk about it"

But never mind the plot. Morgan is highly skilled at stick fighting. The round end is to knock people out without killing them. The pointy end of the stick is used against zombies. It is what keeps him alive. The pointy end of the stick is his main weapon against the horde of zombies that are everywhere in this world.

Why the gently caress does he keep sticking the sharp end into the ground?! If he actually did this on pavement and on dirt, within an hour of walking the point would be too rounded, splintered, frayed to be effective. /rant

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 17:31 on May 21, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Stop thinking about poo poo ok? Your life would be easier.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
[Title card] BEFORE: Last week's episode was so good
NOW: Is this the Scott Gimple FTWD method of storytelling?

GreenNight posted:

Stop thinking about poo poo ok? Your life would be easier.

I know but when I try to parse the plot and timelines...there is so much that doesn't make sense.

1. 2 weeks ago Dorie was told that Naomi died. He didn't shoot off anyone's finger for more details, he...waited until now? Why didn't he just ask Alicia or Luciana for the information on what happened to her?
2. Al is taking everyone's story and they're willing to explain. But NOT ONE WORD about Madison? How is that possible. It's like a cheap gimmick for an attempt at an inevitable 'reveal'.
3. At the end of the episode when the dam blew up, Madison washed up on shore in some small outpost or village. But this episode we are told she pulled Strand out of the water and nursed him back to health. Both things couldn't have happened.
4. The Vultures were waiting for the Stadium supplies to run out. But then a truck drives up with some bags of fertilizer and they just pack up and leave. This is the big bad of the season?! They're lucky Daniel Salazar isn't around!
5. Naomi: "This place had food, water, and people who knew how to survive. I hid Rose in the pantry behind the food court...It took me 3 days. By the time I got back with the medicine, ...the dead didn't get in from the outside, Rose died before I got back and she turned that first night and then everyone else did too..."
WHAT THE gently caress. How could she know when her daughter died and turned?! How did one single young girl infect the whole FEMA camp of "people who knew how to survive" ?! Laura's story made little sense.

Binary Logic fucked around with this message at 20:22 on May 21, 2018

Tehdas
Dec 30, 2012

Binary Logic posted:

4. The Vultures were waiting for the Stadium supplies to run out. But then a truck drives up with some bags of fertilizer and they just pack up and leave. This is the big bad of the season?!
Speculation: the Vultures are not the big bad, it's Madison. She hosed up the settlement, caused a feud with the vultures, possibly sending Naomi over to the vultures?
Strand et al, are not looking to right a wrong done to them by the Vultures, they are baddies trying to assert their domination over the Vultures.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Their plan of standing in an empty horse track waiting for the 20 mad max vans to show up is kind of mind boggling if their plan was to kill the bad guys

like, hide behind a pole or something

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe
/\ You'd think they would have learned the basics by now! They fell for "the oldest trick in the book" that they themselves used a few days ago!

Tehdas posted:

Speculation: the Vultures are not the big bad, it's Madison. She hosed up the settlement, caused a feud with the vultures, possibly sending Naomi over to the vultures?
Strand et al, are not looking to right a wrong done to them by the Vultures, they are baddies trying to assert their domination over the Vultures.

Okay maybe they're not the Big Bad but you can't hold a siege while still allowing the people inside to leave and return with provisions!

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Binary Logic posted:

Why the gently caress does he keep sticking the sharp end into the ground?! If he actually did this on pavement and on dirt, within an hour of walking the point would be too rounded, splintered, frayed to be effective. /rant

I thought about this too but in reality they just can't have a show where a black guy literally just walks around with a spear. They have star gate sg-1 for that.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
https://i.imgur.com/r5ep26V.gifv

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Binary Logic posted:

Okay maybe they're not the Big Bad but you can't hold a siege while still allowing the people inside to leave and return with provisions!

laying siege to a fortified settlement is Savior poo poo, that's not what the Vultures do

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

They also said they were running out of food and couldn't siege any longer.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
What if it's a trick

Or, more probably, Madison kidnaps one and pisses them off because all she really wants is chaos

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
I like that since the writers were seemingly told "You can't do zombie camo anymore". They instead have been trivializing them as a threat in other ways. Like having one be distracted in a car by tapping on the glass so someone can get behind them inside the vehicle.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

He dropped his finger!

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

JossiRossi posted:

I like that since the writers were seemingly told "You can't do zombie camo anymore". They instead have been trivializing them as a threat in other ways. Like having one be distracted in a car by tapping on the glass so someone can get behind them inside the vehicle.

They could have just shot a gun in the fema camp instead of doing ultimate naomi warrior

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

This whole episode was logistically frustrating, but hey, at least they still talk like people.

I like where strand decided to hold the rope instead of just tying it off somewhere, then almost drops her.

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.
The past 2 title cards

https://i.imgur.com/H3uEr6V.mp4
"Laura"

https://i.imgur.com/5qmXXo5.mp4
"Just In Case"

JIC is interesting because the left side has the orange glow of the past segments and the right side has the gray-blue of the present day ones.

And one more thing...
https://i.imgur.com/hVnUzGz.mp4

JossiRossi fucked around with this message at 03:28 on May 22, 2018

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Zombie camo was the worst. Eventually they just put some blood on their faces and called it good. Good riddance.

warcrimes
Jul 6, 2013

I don't know what's it called, I just know the sound it makes when it takes a J4G's life. :parrot: :parrot: :parrot: :parrot:

Remy Marathe posted:

This whole episode was logistically frustrating, but hey, at least they still talk like people.

I like where strand decided to hold the rope instead of just tying it off somewhere, then almost drops her.

Yeah, some of this stuff didn't make sense, like how Alicia, Strand and Luciana are going to take on 40ish armed dudes out in the open. Also, I'm predicting the tin full of Scrabble tiles saves John's life.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Why the gently caress did she shoot anyway?

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Finally caught up after being gone a few weeks!

Binary Logic posted:

WHAT THE gently caress. How could she know when her daughter died and turned?! How did one single young girl infect the whole FEMA camp of "people who knew how to survive" ?! Laura's story made little sense.

We should all know little girl zombies are the most uberpowered of all zombies.

Boinks posted:

I legitimately laughed when she said "I'm not that bad of driver," looking up at the highway damage.

I was just thinking "I guess Laurie / Chris 3.0 was through here."

Tehdas posted:

I half expected Madison to show up there, not Naomi, but I think that was intentional.

Blazing Ownager fucked around with this message at 11:09 on May 22, 2018

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

zeal posted:

that episode definitely gave the new writers some cred

i'm actually interested in where they're taking Morgan, now that they've more or less reverted his character to how he was before the savior war

Oh yeah. Morgan is actually interesting now and acts like a human; I quite enjoy his scenes over here.

He plays off Dorie so well, they're a great team.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

zeal posted:

laying siege to a fortified settlement is Savior poo poo, that's not what the Vultures do
They're less like Vultures and more like Tailgaters who didn't bring enough beer and hot dogs.

Akumos posted:

Why the gently caress did she shoot anyway?

The lack of trigger discipline finally caught up.
Given the situation they were in it made no sense at all. If she thinks Dorie is with the Tailgaters, er Vultures, she turned her back on all the people pointing guns at her to shoot an unarmed man.
If she believed John Dorie's sad tale and saw that he had finally reunited with his "true love"...maybe she just hates romance? "You don't get a happy ending because I didn't get a happy ending" ?
Like I said before, I'm so confused.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I'm pretty sure she was shooting at Naomi

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Yeah, I definitely don't think that was her aiming for John- he just stepped between them when Alicia turned to shoot and took the bullet for Naomi. Given the whole theme of the episode, I'm guessing that she'll go on to play some big role in the stadium's downfall in the flashback, or might somehow be responsible for Madison's absence.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

I'm strongly disliking the disjointed chronological order of the storytelling this season. All it's doing for me is adding confusion and interfering with my enjoyment of the otherwise decent story that is being told.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
At least they do easy color correction for the timelines as opposed to when walking dead thought black and white was good enough

Spellman
May 31, 2011

I had no major problems with this episode. I guess I just like the characters

I can dismiss things that don't make sense right now because the characters are believable. I found that by season 3 of TWD, most of the characters had fully matured. Carol is still the Carol that killed two innocent people in prison for the greater good. She may have found ways to resolve things peacefully after Morgan showed her the light, but we moreorless knew that this was just a minor detour for her, and that she would inevitably return to being a badass

The same goes for Rick, Morgan, others. It doesn't matter if they go on a killing tantrum in a warehouse seemingly randomly. They will just return to who they were afterwards. So I guess it feels cheap when they use these moments to get the characters more woke or something. My frustration with this often leads me to spotting the logical failures of the show more readily...

I still like this group of assholes in FTWD, so I'm not quite ready to paint every minor inconsistency as real; there might be information we haven't seen yet that might reverse what were thought to be logical inconsistencies in this episode

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Yeah when I pick apart twd it's because it sucks while if I see something dumb on ftwd I just feel like gimple had something to do with it

So for this scene we'll have strand shoot a round and lead the zombies to another part of town

Gimple: no, it needs to be ten times dumber. Make strand set up a zipline and make him and Madison hold it with their weight

But how will the zombies not get to them?

Gimple: bunk beds weigh at least a thousand pounds and are fastened to the gymnasium floor so they can act like impervious walls

Spellman
May 31, 2011

moist turtleneck posted:

Yeah when I pick apart twd it's because it sucks while if I see something dumb on ftwd I just feel like gimple had something to do with it

Well he's looking over the whole WD universe right, to ensure they don't contradict each other. So I think sometimes he'll look to empower some of the concepts that may have not been as well recieved in the other show, like how guts can make you sick, a concept that seemingly materialized in season 8. I believe a character made an offhand comment about this when dressing in walker garb on FTWD

So when you say Gimple might have had something to do with a dumb decision in the show, there's a reasonable chance that it could be true

But it's also a part-time zombie thriller fwiw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acacia REI
Oct 8, 2016

moist turtleneck posted:

You just know he shoehorned Naomi's comments about zombie blood and the FEMA story into the mix in an attempt to make the main show look less dumb. Remember that stunt last season at Hilltop - when a zombie loudly rolling down the stairs somehow didn't wake anyone up, who for some reason were all sleeping on the floor downstairs, and if I recall correctly the front door was left open? I don't remember the details, it's all kind of a dumb blur at this point but a bunch of people died and it didn't make any sense.

The FEMA camp story reminded me of this.

Gimple is there to make sure the spinoff doesn't clown on the main show anymore like it did last season lol

• Locked thread