Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iospace
Jan 19, 2038

aejix posted:

shut up shut UP SHUT UP

He also had an assist on the series wining goal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Eric the Mauve posted:

All of this is stuff that tends to happen when the other team is better at ice hockey than you are.

I mean okay I guess.

Grats to Vegas for their lovely run.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
If you think about it, jawknee is to thank for Vegas getting to the cup final.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Vegas really can do no wrong. They not only dressed Ryan Reaves in a loving Western Conference finals game but he scored the gwg to put them in the finals.

Also Maf is gonna make the hall of fame lol

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ginette Reno posted:

Also Maf is gonna make the hall of fame lol
His performance in the last three playoffs has been pretty drat good tbh.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

iospace posted:

Reaves from Sbisa. Imagine the money you could make on that prop bet.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Slappy Pappy posted:

The best part about this is that if the Caps somehow pull a miracle and win out, they will only have won the Stanley Cup by beating an expansion team.

That's fine with me, we could beat the Humbolt Broncos for all I care if it ends in a cup

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Reaves from Sbisa. Imagine the money you could make on that prop bet.

whats funny is we offered odds on sbisa to score last but reaves was part of THE FIELD

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Slappy Pappy posted:

The best part about this is that if the Caps somehow pull a miracle and win out, they will only have won the Stanley Cup by beating an expansion team.

Technically every Cup that isn't over the original 6 is a win over an expansion team

fits
Jan 1, 2008

Love Always,
The Captain
https://twitter.com/ByTimReynolds/status/998319687980257280

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

iospace posted:

He had the primary assist, in fact.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

MANime in the sheets posted:

That's fine with me, we could beat the Humbolt Broncos for all I care if it ends in a cup

that hardly seems sporting

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

We've got the American Jesus
Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Can someone post that Vegas drummer .gif?

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Are there Pens fans on twitter melting down about the Pens keeping Murray over MAF yet

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Arabian Jesus posted:

Can someone post that Vegas drummer .gif?

https://i.imgur.com/p57S5dc.mp4

Arabian Jesus
Feb 15, 2008

Bolstering national faith

Overwhelming millions every day

Thank you kindly :)

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

The pregame shows for Knights home games in the finals are going to be fully sick

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Which has home ice if tampa or washington wins?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Porrima posted:

Which has home ice if tampa or washington wins?

Goes by points in the finals so Tampa gets home ice if they advance. If Washington advances, Vegas will have home ice.

Bill Dungsroman
Nov 24, 2006

And it'll be Tampa because so far it has always been the team I didn't want the Knights to play (Kings, Sharks, Jets)

Number19
May 14, 2003

HOCKEY OWNS
FUCK YEAH

Bill Dungsroman posted:

And it'll be Tampa because so far it has always been the team I didn't want the Knights to play (Kings, Sharks, Jets)

It doesn’t seem to matter one bit whom the VGK face. They swatted away the Jets like it was nothing at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Number19 posted:

It doesn’t seem to matter one bit whom the VGK face. They swatted away the Jets like it was nothing at all.
plus tampa starting is good because it means we win the cup at home after sweeping them

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

Battlegerard Gallantica

Taking his ragtag, fugitive team home...

Good job, bud. :unsmith:

Officially on the VGK wagon now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It only took until they made it to the Finals, but everyone is finally believing in Vegas!

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

In all honesty, if Vegas wins the cup that's great for the players and the fans and good on them - but gently caress the NHL office. Seriously. I don't think I've ever seen this in top tier sports where an expansion/introduced team is given a relatively lax set of rules for poaching players then makes the final bout of the season. It is absurd from a league standpoint, but I don't want my point to detract from the fact that the players got themselves there and the fans have supported them in force all season. So if they win they win and I'll accept it, I just won't necessarily agree to how it came about.

Also gently caress Tampa, go Caps because that would be so much more fun.

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 21, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Diet Crack posted:

In all honesty, if Vegas wins the cup that's great for the players and the fans and good on them - but gently caress the NHL office. Seriously. I don't think I've ever seen this in top tier sports where an expansion/introduced team is given a relatively lax set of rules for poaching players then makes the final bout of the season. It is absurd from a league standpoint, but I don't want my point to detract from the fact that the players got themselves there and the fans have supported them in force all season. So if they win they win and I'll accept it, I just won't necessarily agree to how it came about.

The "lax rules" poo poo is starting to bother me, because after the draft everyone went "this team is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck."

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
On paper it's hands down one of the worst defences seen this year

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Wonderllama posted:

I don’t think vasilevskiy has been that great. Thanks for reading.

To be fair i think he's gotten significantly better as the series has gone on

Wamsutta
Sep 9, 2001

The salt pouring out of people's little eyes about Vegas/expansion is so delightful and I cannot wait to see the meltdowns when they win the Cup

Loqieu
Feb 27, 2001

Diet Crack posted:

Give me a break. You can't honestly have expected the knights to get to the finals. Their roster is only good in retrospect of how well they did this year. I've been watching them all season and kept waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

The Caps are gonna lose tonight and I’m in full blown Kawalimus meltdown mode about it.

:suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide: :suicide:

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Diet Crack posted:

How about you go back and look at everyone saying "these are probably the best draft rules ever but holy poo poo are the Knights going to suuuuck for awhile". Most of their players are significantly outperforming themselves. poo poo, just look at their goalie situation at the beginning of the year. They somehow kept being good until their 5th string goalie or however bad it got.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
Vegas probably craters next year but they're really fun to watch right now and I hope they win everything

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

iospace posted:

The "lax rules" poo poo is starting to bother me, because after the draft everyone went "this team is going to suuuuuuuuuuuuuuck."

There's no question that it was a more generous expansion draft than in the past. Whether it was too generous is something that should be discussed, too. The fact that everyone was wrong about it before seeing the result just means that all the poo poo we throw at GMs is bullshit and we're just as dumb.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Going to the game tonight to watch the Bolts win. My first hockey game ever. Sitting in nosebleeds and I don’t even give a gently caress.

Go bolts baybayyy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Veskit posted:

On paper it's hands down one of the worst defences seen this year

Schmidt and Miller are really good but yeah I don't know how the rest of it is holding up so well.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

iospace posted:

That's because the second part of the Vegas problem is "how loving stupid is every GM in the NHL that they got us to BELIEVE this team was going to suck". They had favorable rules to pick a team and GMs happily gave up good players to either get out from under contracts they didn't like or get rid of players who didn't fit their vision for contending.

The other issue is how a team with no star players rode a hot goalie to the Final and maybe even a Cup. Does skill matter so little in the NHL now? How random are playoff results? What happens if other teams start trying to copy this model, especially as a cover for not spending money on players?

There is a legit discussion to be had about all this, but gently caress all the people whining about "their fans don't deserve it" or "there are teams that have been around for decades without winning a cup". Thankfully I haven't seen too much "the NHL rigged it so this would happen", people seem sane enough to limit the league's involvement to just the expansion draft and salary cap.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

ElwoodCuse posted:

The other issue is how a team with no star players rode a hot goalie to the Final and maybe even a Cup. Does skill matter so little in the NHL now? How random are playoff results? What happens if other teams start trying to copy this model, especially as a cover for not spending money on players?

As someone who doesn't really follow hockey, this is something I've been wondering. An expansion team going to the league final in year 1 doesn't seem like something that happens in stable leagues.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
No one expected Vegas to be good. It’s not like they were poaching top tier talent. Who had even heard of William Karlsson before this season?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schremp Howard
Jul 18, 2010

What attitude problem?
I ran into a guy who was convinced the league is rigging it for Vegas not to help the franchise succeed but so they can use it as a feel-good story to prop up anti-gun legislation through the liberal media. He was all kinds of crazy.

• Locked thread