Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

For some reason I got it into my head that adobo was a sweet, thick sauce with caramel or chocolate or something. Maybe I should give it a try.

are you confusing adobo for mole?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

or maybe like cajeta? Keep caramel the gently caress away from my mole thanks. Also it shouldn't be sweet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheParadigm posted:

Possibly. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some gringo confuse the two and then serve it to me. :shepface:

Maybe I’ll try making some in my instant pot. Would be a good use of all that chicken thigh.

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 19:04 on May 10, 2018

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene

empty sea posted:

I recently discovered that chicken adobo is cheap, easy and tasty as gently caress. Pretty much all the ingredients are pantry items that will last a long time-- vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves, garlic, sugar and black peppercorns. I just threw some drumsticks in a pot with the marinade and cooked it until tender, then shredded the meat, reduced the sauce a little and ate it over rice.

Why is this not a bigger thing? It's so delicious and cheap as hell! I'm gonna do chicken leg quarters next time, I'm not a drumstick person, they were just on sale.
This sounds like my poo poo, got a recipe or at least a rough guide of ratios for those ingredients?

Capri Sun Tzu
Oct 24, 2017

by Reene
My girlfriend makes a similar dish by boiling chicken drumsticks in a broth of water, gochujang, chili flakes, garlic, onions and soy sauce and it freaking rules with white rice.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TheParadigm posted:

Mole isn't sweet unless you hosed up though. It is also the best thing ever.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

For some reason I got it into my head that adobo was a sweet, thick sauce with caramel or chocolate or something. Maybe I should give it a try.

Where I see it In Mexican food is canned chipotles in adobo sauce, which is a pepper sauce.

ibntumart
Mar 18, 2007

Good, bad. I'm the one with the power of Shu, Heru, Amon, Zehuti, Aton, and Mehen.
College Slice

Pollyanna posted:

Possibly. Wouldn’t be surprised to see some gringo confuse the two and then serve it to me. :shepface:

Maybe I’ll try making some in my instant pot. Would be a good use of all that chicken thigh.

Here's a recipe for the Filipino version if you need one:

https://youtu.be/f5XSrsnLNKs

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

I have reduced adobo to the point where it's molé-esque. It's still not that sweet though.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset

Capri Sun Tzu posted:

This sounds like my poo poo, got a recipe or at least a rough guide of ratios for those ingredients?

I just made another batch for this week because holy gently caress this food is cheap and delicious! I seared a big pack of chicken thighs, then rough chopped and tossed them into a slow boil pot of roughly 1 cup soy sauce and 1 cup of mixed rice vinegar and apple cider vinegar (I ran out of rice wine vinegar), 5 mashed cloves of garlic, a couple bay leaves, a chopped up chunk of ginger, a fat pinch of brown sugar and a can of coconut milk. I really just eyeballed the vinegar/soy sauce ratio, just tried to make it even and not to make it too much liquid to meat ratio.

Then I sauteed a chopped red onion and a pack of sliced mushrooms in the same pan I seared the chicken, deglazed with some apple cider vinegar, then added to to the pot.

I really like the coconut milk, it makes the gravy really creamy and kind of smooths out the flavors. Served chicken and gravy over white rice. I think it would go with some sauteed bok choy or other light green but ugh trying to find bok choy right now is impossible.

Anyway, I spent like $5 on chicken thighs and less than $2 on mushrooms and less than $2 on a can of coconut milk. Everything else was pantry staples or long term items and this makes 5-6 delicious meals easy in about an hour.

e: I couldn't get the lid off of my pepper grinder so I just ground a ton of pepper into it. The recipe calls for peppercorns but eh, it's really good with just a bunch of pepper.

empty sea fucked around with this message at 11:08 on May 15, 2018

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
I usually do smaller meals so only use 1/4 to 1/3 cup soy and vinegar (and use water instead of coconut milk - never heard that used in it before - interesting)
Using 1 cup soy and vinegar each sound insane to me but you must be making huge batches I guess.
Mines based on this recipe:
https://www.kawalingpinoy.com/chicken-adobo/

But I don't do potatoes usually, and like I said I have other additions I sometimes use like oyster sauce and sugar, and sometimes I add fish sauce and stirfried veg to serve.

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
Yeah, I tend to cook once a week for 4-5 days so I make big batches for my after work dinners. I have oyster and fish sauce but I didn't think they'd add something of significant value with all the soy sauce. I did use sesame oil with the searing of the chicken but didn't taste it at all later so it can be omitted.

The coconut milk is like a game changer for me. It's mildly sweet and creamy and while I'm glad I made adobo without it the first time to compare, holy poo poo I'm not going back. It's incredibly better in every way.

This week I'm doing salmon potato spinach patties with lemon rice and frozen green beans. Trying to get more greens in but it's hard with meal prep. I'm not a broccoli person and holy poo poo most meal preps include broccoli.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

empty sea posted:

Yeah, I tend to cook once a week for 4-5 days so I make big batches for my after work dinners. I have oyster and fish sauce but I didn't think they'd add something of significant value with all the soy sauce. I did use sesame oil with the searing of the chicken but didn't taste it at all later so it can be omitted.

The coconut milk is like a game changer for me. It's mildly sweet and creamy and while I'm glad I made adobo without it the first time to compare, holy poo poo I'm not going back. It's incredibly better in every way.

This week I'm doing salmon potato spinach patties with lemon rice and frozen green beans. Trying to get more greens in but it's hard with meal prep. I'm not a broccoli person and holy poo poo most meal preps include broccoli.

Saag is what I've been doing, using about 1 part mustard greens to 3 parts bagged frozen spinach. Only the spices are somewhat expensive and honestly not bad if you buy them in bulk for indian food anyway. You can just add chickpeas to it or even chicken if you wanted meat in there or didn't want to make paneer. Just serve that over jasmine rice, shitloads of greens.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

empty sea posted:

Using fish sauce and oyster sauce instead of soy sauce will give a more complex savoury flavour to your dishes, in my experience. Sesame oil is good for flavour but is subtle. You can try adding a few drops at the end of the cooking and stirring through rather than adding it at the beginning.

For more greens in your meal prep you can try spinach, green beans, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, zucchini (adds bulk without overpowering dishes if you grate it), or kale. Check out your local greengrocer and see what is in season that isn't broccoli.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Overcome your stigma of MSG and just use MSG salt instead of the slightly pricier (from my experience) fish sauce and oyster sauce.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Who has declared a stigma of MSG? I like things with msg like chicken salt, abc brand chilli sauce and vegeta powder. That still isn't going to be the end of the usefulness of fish sauce, worcestershire sauce or oyster sauce for savoury, salty or richer flavours

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 21, 2018

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Fo3 posted:

Who has declared a stigma of MSG? I like things with msg like chicken salt, abc brand chilli sauce and vegeta powder. That still isn't going to be the end of the usefulness of fish sauce, worcestershire sauce or oyster sauce for savoury, salty or richer flavours

there's a huge stigma against MSG in the US

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

(I need a hug)
Yeah, it's the same in Australia. Back in the 1990s every restaurant or packaged food had to declare themselves MSG free for the "today tonight" - 'current affairs type "news"' viewer type patronage.
But no one in this thread has made a big deal of it and it's only the baby boomers that remember or care.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:01 on May 21, 2018

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
MSG is a flavour enhancer. Regardless of your opinions of it, It doesn’t replicate the flavour profiles of real ingredients like fish sauce - even if you want to use msg you still have to craft a delicate balance of flavours with other things or you’ll have a very one dimensional dish.

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Definitely not saying that MSG is a perfect substitute for fish sauce or oyster sauce. I just personally think that it's acceptable replacement when you're trying to min/max tastiness and cost. My opinion is predicated on (1) you not noticing the flavor differences, (2) significant price difference in sauces vs MSG, and (3) the rate at which you use the sauces and MSG are similar.

And yeah I agree that MSG needs to be used carefully. Too much and it ends up tasting like potato chips/packaged umami snacks.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Every poor person in here should make some motherfucking dal. There’s a million kinds because dal literally just means lentils, but here’s what I have been making: https://turmericsaffron.blogspot.com/2010/11/dal-adas-southern-iranian-style-red.html

I cut the red pepper in half because my wife is a wimp, but I cook it with a bit less liquid to make it more of a curry texture than a soup. I use chicken or vegetable broth because it’s still pretty cheap that way and it adds more flavor, but there’s no reason you can’t use water like that recipe says. You can also use ghee instead of vegetable oil, but that’s more expensive as well.

Lentils are super cheap and filling and don’t need to be soaked like beans do, so they’re more convenient. They could also be argued to be even more nutritious than beans. They frequently have more fiber and protein than beans, although it obviously depends on the particular bean or lentil type and the preparation.

One batch of that recipe served with rice lasts the two of us three days, with me also taking it for lunch two or three days. We bought a 2 pound bag of lentils for $4, which you could probably get cheaper. After three batches we still have about a pound left.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

22 Eargesplitten posted:

One batch of that recipe served with rice lasts the two of us three days, with me also taking it for lunch two or three days. We bought a 2 pound bag of lentils for $4, which you could probably get cheaper. After three batches we still have about a pound left.

That recipe calls for two cups of lentils per batch. How are you get 11-12 cups of lentils out of 2 pounds? I usually get 2-3 cups per pound.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They’re dried lentils, are you using dried? It might be three pounds, but I think it’s two. I don’t know if red lentils vs green makes a difference.

I guess we’ve actually only used 5 cups. The first two times my wife wanted to try mixing some garbanzo beans in for variety but it ended up sucking because the garbanzo beans took forever to cook compared to the lentils. In those two batches we used 1.5 cups of lentils each and .5 cups of garbanzo beans.

So I guess we’re getting roughly 10 cups from 2 pounds?

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They’re dried lentils, are you using dried? It might be three pounds, but I think it’s two. I don’t know if red lentils vs green makes a difference.

I guess we’ve actually only used 5 cups. The first two times my wife wanted to try mixing some garbanzo beans in for variety but it ended up sucking because the garbanzo beans took forever to cook compared to the lentils. In those two batches we used 1.5 cups of lentils each and .5 cups of garbanzo beans.

So I guess we’re getting roughly 10 cups from 2 pounds?

Yeah, I’m using dried. Here’s a picture of a pound of popcorn:

Measured out into a cup measure as about 2 cups.

A cup of popcorn weighs about 225g versus 210g for a cup of lentils. I think at the verrrry start of the thread Dino mentioned something similar about getting several cups out of a pound of rice/beans and i have no idea how people are managing this. A quick google says that that a pound of lentils equals 2.29 cups.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

perhaps they have small cups

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I really don’t know. I can definitely get a good few cups out of a pound of rice.

Either I got a 4 pound bag for $4 and thought it was 2 or a cup doesn’t weigh nearly half a pound.

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Sorry to be pedantic about it. I just remember way back when I was living on a lot less and whether those beans gave me two cups or four cups was a big deal.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Okay, yeah, mea culpa. The lentils were a 4 pound bag, the garbanzo beans were the 2 pound bag. So it was maybe $5 for the lentils, still a really good deal. That 2 cups expands a ton. Depending on who you ask, they either double or triple in size. I’m leaning more towards triple, maybe a bit less. Roughly one cup is a very filling meal for me when served with a equal or slightly higher amount of rice, sometimes that’s even too much. My wife eats maybe half to 2/3 of a cup with maybe a cup of rice.

I need to go to Sprouts, I think they might be cheaper from their bulk bin section.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Okay, yeah, mea culpa. The lentils were a 4 pound bag, the garbanzo beans were the 2 pound bag. So it was maybe $5 for the lentils, still a really good deal. That 2 cups expands a ton. Depending on who you ask, they either double or triple in size. I’m leaning more towards triple, maybe a bit less. Roughly one cup is a very filling meal for me when served with a equal or slightly higher amount of rice, sometimes that’s even too much. My wife eats maybe half to 2/3 of a cup with maybe a cup of rice.

I need to go to Sprouts, I think they might be cheaper from their bulk bin section.

Hot tip, go to an Asian or Indian (or Middle Eastern or a bunch of other types of) grocer, they always have the best price and quality for bulk lentils, and usually rice too. I go to the Indian market for bulk and frozen goods, like that mawa powder that really is almost as good as homemade, and the Asian market for smaller amounts of things. They also have a ton of non Asian ingredients like limoo omani, so it's one of my usual spots anyway.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Yeah, the Asian market is where I got this bag, the tamarind, and enough turmeric to last me well past the point it goes stale. I think lentils might be under $1 at Sprouts, though. The Asian markets are also always disappointingly expensive for rice compared to Kroger too.

SymmetryrtemmyS
Jul 13, 2013

I got super tired of seeing your avatar throwing those fuckin' glasses around in the astrology thread so I fixed it to a .jpg

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Yeah, the Asian market is where I got this bag, the tamarind, and enough turmeric to last me well past the point it goes stale. I think lentils might be under $1 at Sprouts, though. The Asian markets are also always disappointingly expensive for rice compared to Kroger too.

I think it depends a lot on where you are. The cheapest rice in town is either winco, in the bulk foods, or a few pennies per pound cheaper at the Indian market. The most expensive rice is at the Asian market, but their cheap rice isn't much more than the absolute cheapest I can find.

This is completely conjecture, but is it possible that yours doesn't stock the cheap stuff because people mainly shop there for specialty ingredients and expect to spend more money anyway? That's definitely the case at the tiny Asian market in the adjoining city.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Spices, too. Between the Indian, Halal, and Asian markets I visit I can find just about anything for sometimes literally one tenth of the price of Meijer.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
I'm poor and am addicted to those supermarket curry ready meals. I can get 3 for £4, which works out at £1.33 each, but one just doesn't seem to fill me up. So I made my own!

Went to Aldi and I got 3 kilos of frozen chicken for £10.50, 2 kilos of frozen veg for £1.58, 2 kilos of rice for £0.90, 12 pitta breads for £0.84 and 8 jars of various sauces for £5.92. Total cost £19.74.

First I boiled the rice with some turmeric to give it a bit more zing (I find white rice very bland) and divided it up into sixteen boxes

Sliced up my chicken into cubes and split into 16 portions. Fried up a portion at a time in a wok and then put it into a pot where I had one of the jars of sauce simmering with a portion of the mixed veg (peas, carrots and sweetcorn). Basically just did that until I had four pots of chicken, veg and a different type of sauce, and let them simmer until cooked. Once that was done it was just a case of scooping it out into the boxes, like so:

And then repeating the process with the other four jars of sauce:

Popped them all in the freezer overnight and had Thai Sweet Chilli Chicken for lunch:

I made a chart of the nutrition from each one

I think this might be wrong though as I didn't weigh the chicken after defrosting and I eyeballed the rice measurements as well (the chart assumes 190g chicken and 175g rice per portion, which is probably far too high).

Still, mine seem to have more chicken, more rice, more sauce, wayyyy more veg and a pitta bread. And they're cheaper! Pretty happy with 16 curries for less than twenty quid.

EdBlackadder
Apr 8, 2009
Lipstick Apathy
That's pretty sweet. It's not much of a step to make a couple of your own sauces which will bring it down even more. But you're right, it's much cheaper making your own. The local bargain shop to us has a great range of cheap spices but Aldi and Lidl have the basics for a few pence more.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK
Some of the sauces were these ones which have a handy spice packet on the top you fry the chicken in. Made a really nice smell when cooking, and when tasting they were all fantastic. The Rogan Josh in particular was amazing. Highly recommended for 89p. I added some chinese 5 spice to the sweet n sour ones and some garam masala to the tikka as well but that was all I had left on my spice rack.

Are there any websites that tell you what all the main spices actually... do? I've tried making curry sauce from scratch basically by just sniffing my spices and chucking them in if I thought it would work, but it just made a weird tasting mess.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.
The only thing the various spices "do" is make food taste like them. If you want to learn how to cook with spices, I think this free book is the best resource.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004

QUACK QUACK

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The only thing the various spices "do" is make food taste like them. If you want to learn how to cook with spices, I think this free book is the best resource.

This is exactly the sort of thing I was looking for, thanks!

huhwhat
Apr 22, 2010

by sebmojo
Re: cheap rice

I do the bulk of grocery shopping in Montreal Chinatown since the stores there have the cheapest veggie and pork in the city, and the best thing is they are consistently cheap, which saves me the hassle of looking at a store's flyer and buying only the stuff that's on sale. Minced pork is $1.99/lb which is close to the price of veggies (cabbage is $0.79/lb off-season and $0.49/lb in-season, other veggies like broccoli or Shanghai green are usually $1.99/lb off-season).

Unfortunately the Chinatown stores don't stock the cheapest NuPak rice which is $11.69/8kg. I assume it's so that they have space for the more expensive exotic/boutique rice. I prefer to go out as little as possible, especially when it's winter, so it's annoying that I have to get my cheap meat and veggies in Chinatown then do another run to Supermarche PA for rice.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Doc Walrus posted:

Doc Walrus got laid off! I've got some savings so I'm not in a dire situation, but I'd like to spend as little as possible until I'm employed again. I'm putting together a shopping list, and I'm structuring everything around Flour Tortillas.

QUEST: What all can I do with Flour Tortillas? I know I can make ground beef and chicken tacos, of course. I found a recipe for a tortilla version of eggs-in-a-basket, where you cut a hole in the middle of a tortilla, so I'd like to try that. Is there a good recipe for canned tuna fish tacos out there?

This post is really late, but I hope you found a job!

Anyway, I like making taquitos with my flour tortillas....i just use them instead of corn. https://www.sixsistersstuff.com/recipe/slow-cooker-cheesy-chicken-taquitos/

Also, oatmeal is good for breakfast when low on funds. Savory, sweet, all different types of oatmeal are yummy.

Disco Salmon fucked around with this message at 22:22 on May 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

SymmetryrtemmyS posted:

I think it depends a lot on where you are. The cheapest rice in town is either winco, in the bulk foods, or a few pennies per pound cheaper at the Indian market. The most expensive rice is at the Asian market, but their cheap rice isn't much more than the absolute cheapest I can find.

This is completely conjecture, but is it possible that yours doesn't stock the cheap stuff because people mainly shop there for specialty ingredients and expect to spend more money anyway? That's definitely the case at the tiny Asian market in the adjoining city.

I’m jealous of your Winco. They have stupid cheap rice pasta and flour, which is great for my wife. 99 cents per pound at the Hemet/San Jacinto Winco. Cheap dried fruit and other bulk stuff too.

I found white short grain rice for 99c per pound at the bulk isle in Sprouts. Lentils were about $1.20 per pound, so maybe not quite as cheap. Basmati rice was about $1.30, maybe I need to learn how to make that rice like you get at Indian restaurants.

The one we like is a convenience store style one just off of campus. A lot of mixed far and near east stuff. Instant microwave stuff, desserts, snacks, soft drinks, tea, coffee, and ingredients for recipes. Ridiculously good prices on whole or powdered spices too.

We have a huge international community on campus at the town university. So I imagine they do pretty well from people wanting snacks from home or just making recipes from back home.

There are a few others, but most of them are farther away and not necessarily any better. Then there’s the one where the owner always gives my wife the stink eye to the point that I have to talk to him, so we don’t go there any more.

There’s actually one we haven’t been to that’s supposed to be great, I should try to remember for next time we need something.