Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

CaptainSarcastic posted:

VIA chipsets and SIS integrated GPUs - the kids just don't how grimdark the past was.

"So why didn't you just buy a Mac?"
"That's the thing! Nobody bought a Mac!"
[Old Apple user wanders into the frame] "Your story has unexpectedly quit, because a Type 1 error occurred. I suggest you open the Get Info window and apply more preferred memory."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Craptacular! posted:

[Old Apple user wanders into the frame] "Your story has unexpectedly quit, because a Type 1 error occurred. I suggest you open the Get Info window and apply more preferred memory."

The first Mac I ever bought new came with an Rage 128 card. It was the fastest one available for about 2 weeks in 1999.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

Craptacular! posted:

this sent a cruel shiver down my spine and I haven't used a mac for anything since I was 13

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wulfolme posted:

this sent a cruel shiver down my spine and I haven't used a mac for anything since I was 13

Yeah it’s pretty brutal.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Wulfolme posted:

After 20 years of not having to manually specify how much memory each program should use, I'm sort of amazed I used to so casually.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Craptacular! posted:

After 20 years of not having to manually specify how much memory each program should use, I'm sort of amazed I used to so casually.

You had to do WHAT?!

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

CaptainSarcastic posted:

VIA chipsets and SIS integrated GPUs - the kids just don't how grimdark the past was.

nForce2 single handledly saved the rear end of Socket A.

Then nForce 4/nForce LGA775 once again like VIA/SIS demonstrates why you should never depend on a third party to make chipsets for your CPUs

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Hey listen here the KT266A and KT333 were perfectly good at their launch times (early/mid 2002). The nForce 2 wasn't available until around the end of 2002.

E: The KT266 (non-a) was a turd though.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
Back when AMD64 CPU's first came out you had 2 choices; nForce3 Pro or K8T800. Despite literally every review saying the VIA was better, due to better overclocking options and it had like a 3fps advantage in benchmarks, the choice was easy for me.

Also, back on subject, I got a EVGA 580 that's still rock solid. Usually, in my experience, cards the require huge amounts of power eventually melt down after so long, so that's not bad for a full fat Fermi card.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Absurd Alhazred posted:

You had to do WHAT?!

Original MacOS software came with developer-defined memory parameters that were often below what was necessary for power use and caused the app to become unstable. If you were flush with cash (or cache) enough to have 16 or 32MB to spare, it was smart to allocate more since the developers usually targeted low end systems.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had to pry a few staff members off of Mac OS 8.6 when we switched the whole office over to Mac OS 10.2. My hatred of Apple was stoked in those fires.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

to be fair on the dos side, we were still making boot disks with calls to himem.sys and emm386.exe around that time.

gotta get 2mb of EMS so tie fighter has sound effects dwag

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

After reading all of this, part of me is glad I didn't start building my own PCs until well into the Intel Core era. Kids these days have no idea how lucky they have it.

Phuzun
Jul 4, 2007

Cygni posted:

to be fair on the dos side, we were still making boot disks with calls to himem.sys and emm386.exe around that time.

gotta get 2mb of EMS so tie fighter has sound effects dwag

I remember having to change the order things would load on the boot disk as well. Having the wrong thing load first was the difference of a few KB that could cause Aces Over The Pacific not to start.

Windows 95 promised I could play those games from within Windows and specify how much memory they needed. But I became a teenager with a social life and didn't get a gaming PC again until '99, skipping out on ever trying it. Did it ever live up to the hype?

TheCoach
Mar 11, 2014

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

After reading all of this, part of me is glad I didn't start building my own PCs until well into the Intel Core era. Kids these days have no idea how lucky they have it.

TBH Anything 486 and beyond hardware wise was pretty simple to set up.
The DOS memory management was really god damned annoying but most good games did not actually require a lot of tinkering there.

And yeah with Win 95 most of that became obsolete and most stuff just worked with windows managing application memory.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Phuzun posted:

Windows 95 promised I could play those games from within Windows and specify how much memory they needed. But I became a teenager with a social life and didn't get a gaming PC again until '99, skipping out on ever trying it. Did it ever live up to the hype?

win95 had swap, so all these problems were easily replaced by *waits 30 minutes for the OS to load on my 500mb hard drive 16mb ram 386* and plug & pray driver hell.

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Phuzun posted:

I remember having to change the order things would load on the boot disk as well. Having the wrong thing load first was the difference of a few KB that could cause Aces Over The Pacific not to start.

I remember playing Aces Over the Pacific as a kid. That game is all rose tinted glasses now, but at the time it loving OWNED. Shoot zeros all day.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Truga posted:

win95 had swap, so all these problems were easily replaced by *waits 30 minutes for the OS to load on my 500mb hard drive 16mb ram 386* and plug & pray driver hell.

Ya, I still totally appreciate an SSD and hibernate every day, even now.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

I am constantly amazed by how nice modern cases are to build in. The old joke that building a pc requires blood sacrifice was a product of constantly cutting yourself on all the sharp edges cases used to have.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Wacky Delly posted:

I am constantly amazed by how nice modern cases are to build in. The old joke that building a pc requires blood sacrifice was a product of constantly cutting yourself on all the sharp edges cases used to have.

It's true but... New Thermaltake Vs an old Lian li, even a cheap one, is a cruel joke.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

It's true but... New Thermaltake Vs an old Lian li, even a cheap one, is a cruel joke.

I finally sold my old Lian Li case along with the rest of my computer when I last upgraded, but I insisted the guy I sold to give me first buy back rights to the case. I kinda regret not buying another case to give him so I could have just kept it.

Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Our business pc is still in an old lian li, the protective plastic covers long since lost/deteriorated. Can confirm it absolutely terrible.

On the other hand, the slide out motherboard tray is pretty baller.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Just went to the recycling center to drop off my Chieftec aluminum tower this weekend. 12 years.

Good bye old dame. They don't make you like they used to.

the nucas
Sep 12, 2002

Seamonster posted:

Just went to the recycling center to drop off my Chieftec aluminum tower this weekend. 12 years.

after smacking together a new build in a fractal case, i gutted my antec 900 and couldn't believe this was once considered one of the best cases of the late 2000s. what the gently caress were we thinking back then.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Seamonster posted:

You were lucky to have 80mm case fans back then, and even then, maybe one intake and one exhaust. They can all burn in SECC Steel Hell.

Delta fans, too.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.
From last page but I think I actually have an OCZ PSU at either 650 or 750W, it was pretty cheap at the time and had good ratings. Honestly it’s lasted through 3 video cards, including the furnace that was a GTX 480 I got real cheap, so I can’t complain.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

BIG HEADLINE posted:

You were lucky to have 80mm case fans back then, and even then, maybe one intake and one exhaust. They can all burn in SECC Steel Hell.

Delta fans, too.

Yeah 2x intake, 2x exhaust and another one on the side window. The real luxuries were the 2 removable HDD cages good for 6 drives total.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

the nucas posted:

after smacking together a new build in a fractal case, i gutted my antec 900 and couldn't believe this was once considered one of the best cases of the late 2000s. what the gently caress were we thinking back then.

Same, except an Antec Sonata III.

I will never not build computers in a non-Fractal case ever again.

Even their budget cheapass cases are so luxurious to build in and have such free-flowing air paths.

Whereas I was fighting with that one loving rail in the sonata III all the goddamn time instead.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 21, 2018

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
Got to run the 1060 through it's paces this weekend and I'm pretty happy with it. The fan doesn't even come on a lot of the times which made me think it was broken, but it's just more efficient. Running FFXIV at 1440p I can run at nearly max settings at get 60+ fps in a lot areas, generally I'm getting 10-15 more fps I think vs the 970. I downloaded the EVGA precision stuff so I could keep an eye on temps and it never got above the 83 degrees that is the default target while under load (hovered right at it), I did adjust the fan curve to run higher sooner, which makes it run at 100% when I'm gaming, but keeps temps 3-4 degrees cooler (around 79) with my case fully shut.

I'm still debating if I should get a better flowing case. I'm not running anything crazy and temps seem to be OK but I just worry about it.

Here's my current case: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R83P9QC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, looks nice, just has no real airflow to it.

Been looking at this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015UDUAKG/?coliid=I2O2OOGL9I2W1K&colid=2PVQU2VMTJE83&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Still looks pretty nice, is cheap, and all the reviews rave about the airflow (I mean 200mm fan up front and you can mount 2 80mm at the back).

Willing to check out other small mITX cases that look nice, have good flow and aren't like $200.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Seamonster posted:

I still have a Chieftec-made "Nova Yellow" Alienware tower from the only gaming machine I ever bought OEM back in 2004. Looks like this:

The catch for the flap covering the door handle is broken, there are a few dings on it, and it weighs like 40lb but I still haven't brought myself to get rid of it and recently decided to put my NAS inside. It actually works surprisingly well since the drives are bolted straight into the steel frame which makes a good heatsink, and while I was scared 80mm fans would be too loud there are some nice PWM ones from Arctic Cooling that are fairly quiet and can all daisy-chain off of the CPU fan header.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Ouhei posted:

Willing to check out other small mITX cases that look nice, have good flow and aren't like $200.

Corsair 250D and the Cougar QBX.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Eletriarnation posted:

I still have a Chieftec-made "Nova Yellow" Alienware tower from the only gaming machine I ever bought OEM back in 2004. Looks like this:

The catch for the flap covering the door handle is broken, there are a few dings on it, and it weighs like 40lb but I still haven't brought myself to get rid of it and recently decided to put my NAS inside. It actually works surprisingly well since the drives are bolted straight into the steel frame which makes a good heatsink, and while I was scared 80mm fans would be too loud there are some nice PWM ones from Arctic Cooling that are fairly quiet and can all daisy-chain off of the CPU fan header.

Gotta recycle what you can, there’s enough garbage in the world already*

*Starting with the Vega architecture, am I rite heh

I love fast video cards

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Ouhei posted:

Got to run the 1060 through it's paces this weekend and I'm pretty happy with it. The fan doesn't even come on a lot of the times which made me think it was broken, but it's just more efficient. Running FFXIV at 1440p I can run at nearly max settings at get 60+ fps in a lot areas, generally I'm getting 10-15 more fps I think vs the 970. I downloaded the EVGA precision stuff so I could keep an eye on temps and it never got above the 83 degrees that is the default target while under load (hovered right at it), I did adjust the fan curve to run higher sooner, which makes it run at 100% when I'm gaming, but keeps temps 3-4 degrees cooler (around 79) with my case fully shut.

I'm still debating if I should get a better flowing case. I'm not running anything crazy and temps seem to be OK but I just worry about it.

Here's my current case: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R83P9QC/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As you can see, looks nice, just has no real airflow to it.

Been looking at this: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015UDUAKG/?coliid=I2O2OOGL9I2W1K&colid=2PVQU2VMTJE83&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Still looks pretty nice, is cheap, and all the reviews rave about the airflow (I mean 200mm fan up front and you can mount 2 80mm at the back).

Wow, Xigmatech. I haven't heard from those guys since they were big in the heatsink game in.... what, the mid-2000s?

So this is my doing my FD pushing thing, and telling you to look at a Core 500 or Node 304, because side IO is terrible.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Who makes good ITX-friendly high end cards? Is it just Zotac?

How long do they usually take to turn up after a new generation starts shipping?

Gyrotica
Nov 26, 2012

Grafted to machines your builders did not understand.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I love my Palit 1080. I'll be going Palit again next time. Teardown videos show it has excellent VRM's too.

Huh, never heard of them. I'll be keeping an eye out.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
I went with beQuiet Dark Base 900 because of a silent profile and nice aesthetics, but it's kind of a weird case with an atrocious manual. Kinda weird how they market it as having two bottom fan slots, but an average PSU covers one of them(???), especially since the build forces like 15cm of space between the back and the bracket mount.

You also can't get a fan filter for the third top fan, which is fine as I'll just not use one. The customer service is as awful as the manual.

I love Corsair's aesthetics, but they don't use fan filters, and they don't seem to perform super well in benchmarks either.

I've found a huge respect for companies that prioritize cable management and easy maintenance.

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I have a Corsair 650D that I made custom fan filters for because the stock ones were small and loud. It was easy to hook onto the stock spots at least. I'm using the blank door but it came with a bunch, a window one and a filter one, but I don't have hardware that would benefit.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Nvidia announced a NEW VIDEO CARD!!!

its a 1050 3gb card to slot between the 1050 Ti and 1050 2Gb, but also it has better clocks than the 1050 Ti for some reason, i dont loving know ok

https://videocardz.com/76245/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-3gb-768-cudas-with-96-bit-bus

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Wow, Xigmatech. I haven't heard from those guys since they were big in the heatsink game in.... what, the mid-2000s?

So this is my doing my FD pushing thing, and telling you to look at a Core 500 or Node 304, because side IO is terrible.

Yeah I hadn't heard of them, but the case looked nice (was going for a more "mac" look since it's a hackintosh). It's a fine case construction wise, but the airflow is butt.

The Node 304 looks pretty good though and comes in white which I like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Cygni posted:

Nvidia announced a NEW VIDEO CARD!!!

its a 1050 3gb card to slot between the 1050 Ti and 1050 2Gb, but also it has better clocks than the 1050 Ti for some reason, i dont loving know ok

https://videocardz.com/76245/nvidia-launches-geforce-gtx-1050-3gb-768-cudas-with-96-bit-bus

Here at nVidia, we just want to protect consumers by removing any confusion about what they're buying.