Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

Yep I dominate my lane usually as teemo but Rumble won't even let me get close to the wave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Thanks for the suggestions. Separately, are any of the champ bundles worth the money?

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Erdricks posted:

Thanks for the suggestions. Separately, are any of the champ bundles worth the money?

Most advice (if you're trying to "win") is to only play a few champions, usually 2 or 3. This less you learn champion mechanics and then focus on macro play.

While a bundle might save you money in the long run, it's probably best you get a few champions you like and just play them.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

milkman dad posted:

Most advice (if you're trying to "win") is to only play a few champions, usually 2 or 3. This less you learn champion mechanics and then focus on macro play.

While a bundle might save you money in the long run, it's probably best you get a few champions you like and just play them.

this is very good advice. try not to focus on overly difficult champs, though, and make sure they are viable in the role you want to play.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Never buy a champion you haven't already played and enjoyed on free rotation.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

strong bird posted:

What causes these swings

Average win rates are incredibly deceptive for a variety of reasons and it's difficult to tell. Nerfs to completely unrelated champions (like Braum) might make Lux better against them and thus more likely to win, or it might scare people away from playing the nerfed champion and thus start playing champions that Lux has better matchups against. Shifts in the broader meta might make her better or worse as a support (e.g. assassin-favored metas dumpster her, front-to-back teamfighting metas favor her). Sometimes even something as simple as having a free week or a new skin getting released can be enough to nudge the winrate (it dropped a few points on the week Elementalist Lux was released). For this patch in specific, it's that Lux got a suite of straight-up buffs: it's still piss easy to hit your E in lane against non-dash ADCs, it costs way less mana, and her W and Q both got massive usability buffs.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

njsykora posted:

Never buy a champion you haven't already played and enjoyed on free rotation.

The advice someone gave to check out skill-capped.com is actually very good. While a number of their guides were authored for season 6, the champion mechanics they go over are largely unchanged (except irelia and xin). From what I can tell the champions they have extensive guides for are:

Fiora
Malphite
Darius
Gangplank

Jungle
Fiddlesticks
Elise
Lee sin
Gragas
Kindred
Amumu
Graves

Mid
Syndra
Orianna
Azir
Twisted Fate
Ahri
Fizz
Diana
Lux
Zed

ADC
Jinx
Twitch
Vayne
Sivir
Jhin
Lucian
Ezreal
Ashe

I thought going into the site they would have support guides but they don't have any lol. They're essentially pushing people to play one of the 4 other roles, which I suppose makes sense (you have very little agency supporting a bad ADC as Janna for example).

They HEAVILY emphasize the early and mid game, particularly as it comes to lane control.

The largest thing to change since they made all this content, in my opinion, is the strength of the Baron on closing out the game. Still, there's no guide for getting your team to "just end" instead of trying to farm kills on enemy fountain, dying, and losing your promos.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

milkman dad posted:

The advice someone gave to check out skill-capped.com is actually very good. While a number of their guides were authored for season 6, the champion mechanics they go over are largely unchanged (except irelia and xin). From what I can tell the champions they have extensive guides for are:

Fiora
Malphite
Darius
Gangplank

Jungle
Fiddlesticks
Elise
Lee sin
Gragas
Kindred
Amumu
Graves

Mid
Syndra
Orianna
Azir
Twisted Fate
Ahri
Fizz
Diana
Lux
Zed

ADC
Jinx
Twitch
Vayne
Sivir
Jhin
Lucian
Ezreal
Ashe

I thought going into the site they would have support guides but they don't have any lol. They're essentially pushing people to play one of the 4 other roles, which I suppose makes sense (you have very little agency supporting a bad ADC as Janna for example).

They HEAVILY emphasize the early and mid game, particularly as it comes to lane control.

The largest thing to change since they made all this content, in my opinion, is the strength of the Baron on closing out the game. Still, there's no guide for getting your team to "just end" instead of trying to farm kills on enemy fountain, dying, and losing your promos.

What I'm trying to say is if you're trying to figure out what to play - pick one of these champions, pay $1, and follow the guide. If you are self critical and follow the advice they give you're going to be silver if not gold by the end of the season.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
How to get from Bronze to Gold as either role in bot lane:

You hit level two from the third melee creep in the second wave.

All-in them exactly as that happens.

This isn't hyperbole, it's literally all you need to climb to the top 20% of players.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Erdricks posted:

The digital collectors pack - which is, I think, the most expensive bundle - is a nice mix of champs, I think. Options in nearly every lane, with a variety of available styles. For top, you get a splitpusher (Trynd), a tank (Cho/Malphite), and a massive rear end in a top hat Teemo. For jungle, you get pure tanks (Amumu and Rammus), an assassin (Eve), a mage (Fiddle), and a gank-heavy champ (Warwick). Middle, you get a scaling mage (Veigar/Ryze), and a burst mage (Annie). ADC is the weakest in the pack, with only Trist, but her kit is solid basically no matter the state of the game, and ADCs might have the least variety in playstyles anyway (someone will fight me about this I'm sure). Finally, in support, you have a hard engage tank (Ali), the game's premier fun-destroyer (Janna), and however to classify Morgana, who has an absurd root on a medium cooldown and black shield, but doesn't really do a ton of damage.

None of the champs in that pack are mechanically difficult (except Ryze, who didn't used to be but they keep reworking him). Having them permanently unlocked allows you to fool with them for longer than the week of rotation, which may not be enough time for you to get a handle on whether you like them. Also, unlocking all those champs right off lets you pop into ARAM, which can be a fun way to kill some time (but know that it won't help your actual game at all).

The advice to focus on a couple champs is 100% correct, but for figuring out who you want to really dig into, you could do worse than a bundle like this.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Can you still get Ali and Trist for free?

Dancer
May 23, 2011

kingcobweb posted:

This isn't hyperbole, it's literally all you need to climb to the top 20% of players.

I fail to see why this doesn't apply to other lanes. Possibly the only reason I could get away with top Ezreal all the way up to gold is because people consistently fail to take that into account.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
Master Yi is a cancer hero?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Dancer posted:

I fail to see why this doesn't apply to other lanes. Possibly the only reason I could get away with top Ezreal all the way up to gold is because people consistently fail to take that into account.

mid is too short for it to be consistent and top laners are often too tanky but still fall for it anyways. i get flash as jax a lot

Dancer
May 23, 2011

Verviticus posted:

mid is too short for it to be consistent and top laners are often too tanky but still fall for it anyways. i get flash as jax a lot

At the levels we're talking, the top laner will often be down to 60% by the time level 2 comes because he's not used to laning against a ranged champion and just eats autoattacks for free. Also I take ignite :v:.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
The exact same theory applies to top Trist btw.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

kingcobweb posted:

This makes sense to get a lane advantage no doubt. To keep that lane advantage you should work on freezing, resetting, and pushing depending on what you want to accomplish.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Erdricks posted:

Master Yi is a cancer hero?

That's the spirit!

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

milkman dad posted:

This makes sense to get a lane advantage no doubt. To keep that lane advantage you should work on freezing, resetting, and pushing depending on what you want to accomplish.

Botlane's a little different when it comes to freezing/pushing/etc. compared to other lanes, because you persistently have a partner whose game knowledge can wildly vary, that lane partner may have harass or passive skills (Trist) that largely prevent freezing, and because certain lane combos can prevent you from ever effectively freezing. I think it's good to have generic knowledge of back timings if you're only playing bot, but you realistically don't need to know a lot about the other techniques until you start getting to mid Diamond. Knowing how to gain and maintain lane pressure via the level 2 all-in is more than enough to get you to high Plat.

Action George
Apr 13, 2013
Mundo top feels kind of ridiculous now. He doesn't feel like he has many bad lanes since you can either Q farm until 6 or win a lot of fights with all of the free AD on his E and once you hit 6 a lot of teams just don't have the damage to deal with him even if they do pick up greivous wounds. Picking him into other tanks especially is almost cheating it feels like.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

Crazy Larry posted:

Mundo top feels kind of ridiculous now. He doesn't feel like he has many bad lanes since you can either Q farm until 6 or win a lot of fights with all of the free AD on his E and once you hit 6 a lot of teams just don't have the damage to deal with him even if they do pick up greivous wounds. Picking him into other tanks especially is almost cheating it feels like.

Yep, he's almost comical at this point. I'm just glad he's not getting played a ton yet.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Crazy Larry posted:

I could never figure out to play against even before the buff. Now I usually ban him.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Play something with a shield against Mundo like Riven or Sion, bodyblock your own minions as he tries to cleaver last hit, laugh at him.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

CODChimera posted:

Yep, he's almost comical at this point. I'm just glad he's not getting played a ton yet.

He is though??

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Play something with a shield against Mundo like Riven or Sion, bodyblock your own minions as he tries to cleaver last hit, laugh at him.

This is the secret tech that nobody seems to understand and I will keep jamming him top until they figure it out.

Also Executioner's Calling. :smith:

Action George
Apr 13, 2013

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Sion's actually one of Mundo's best matchups because you just all in him at level 2 and then repeatedly run him down.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Crazy Larry posted:

Sion's actually one of Mundo's best matchups because you just all in him at level 2 and then repeatedly run him down.

I saw the matchup numbers too and I know he wins in a straight up 1vs1 overtime, but played as sion vs mundo top and won pretty handily in mid diamond, he probably just didn't play well enough to avoid the slows into Q slams, hitting 2 first probably helps too.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

kingcobweb posted:

i will try this and report back

edit: works real good

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 07:34 on May 21, 2018

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

kingcobweb posted:

This straight up works in Diamond. I play support almost exclusively, and the number of people who don't seem to understand that they can't be in the middle of the lane against thresh/tristana if we know they are going to hit 2 first is baffling to me

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless
https://plays.tv/video/5b02b6cbb182...0X3RodW1iIn0%3D

the level 2 advantage: a case study

fnox
May 19, 2013

How to get real good at league of legends:

1) How to get good at ADC
  • Farm. Literally just farm. Under all conditions just farm. If you're not regularly hitting 8-9 CS per minute on every match you're not doing it right. Farm two waves, get a jungle camp in between you moving to another lane to get another two waves. If you're behind, farm, if you're ahead, farm. You never stop getting stronger with items.
  • Learn to orbwalk. I do it by alternating a+left click and just left clicking (This is not the most accurate way but it's cleaner overall, IMO). The key is to time it correctly with your attack speed and your AA animation. It is sometimes a good idea to take longer steps to position better. The best position you can often be in is just whichever is the farthest away from other enemies that is still within your AA range.
  • Did your lane phase suck? Is the team failing miserably at their positions? Itemize for faster clear so you can more easily clear waves with super minions on them. Conversely, if you are doing very well, get a BF sword after your first item, get IE and rush GA after it. You need to learn to play from behind to actually climb.
  • Don't give up.

2) How to get good at Support
  • Learn your numbers, start with mana costs by level for all of your abilities, then move on to your total mana by level, then health, then offensive stats. This is the position that demands the most game knowledge from you to be effective.
  • Ward all the loving time. In soloq defensive wards are crucial, you can sometimes risk a deep ward but seriously just focus on warding your own jungle half the time. Ward right side when Dragon is about to be up, ward left side when it isn't and Baron is up. The key to always being stocked with wards is to recall often.
  • Stick around people, you need to soak up as much XP as possible without actually farming, and also the less time these drooling idiots spend alone the less likely they are to die. So just stay close to wherever everyone else is.
  • Understand power spikes. It's super crucial that you understand how far you are from the next level and how far the enemy is to their next level. You need to understand matchups and champions to understand where the advantages are, the key to winning lane is knowing when the opponent is the most vulnerable.
  • Don't give up.

3) How to get good at Mid
  • Clean your inputs, particularly your move inputs, this applies to every character not just the really technical ones. Mid is all about taking all the little advantages you can get, and having your character spaz around after getting a minion because you're just left clicking wildly will result in a better opponent putting avoidable pressure on you.
  • Pay very close attention to the minion wave. If you can consistently pressure your opponent when they're trying to CS you can readily kill them in lane in your next power spike. Conversely you need to know which way the wave is gonna push and how fast it is going to do it. You need to be able to CS under turret perfectly or you'll just get pushed in all the time.
  • If you're at your strongest when roaming, push hard, then roam. If you're not, deny the enemy the possibility to roam by warding their exits with pinks, while also trying to keep up with their farm. This affects your itemization choices, maybe you want a mana crystal over an amp tome so you have enough mana to keep up with the push ability that a Malzahar or a Yasuo has.
  • You won't always decimate your lane. Play it safe after a couple of deaths so that you can come back to a more impactful position in the late game. Minimizing your deaths should be one of your main goals.
  • Don't give up.

4) How to get good at jungle
  • /ignore all. Leave only pings enabled, leave them without sound if you want to.
  • Don't do things out of habit. I'm actually glad that the buff-wolves-buff-gank route isn't all that viable any more because it locked people in a single track. You can always outperform the enemy jungler by being reactive and knowing where they are and what they're doing. Unless you know you're stronger than them it's best to stay on opposite sides. If you're building the same poo poo and doing the same poo poo all the time you're going to get mediocre results. Deep ward lvl 1 so you know where they're starting and anticipate where they'll end.
  • The way to properly tower dive depends a bit on who has the most cc, you or your laner, but generally you want one person diving and another one at the very edge of turret range. Generally you want to be on the outside so you can just let your laner dive, which means that you draw aggro first, then exit after taking 2/3 turret shots.
  • You need to actually pay attention to the wave, don't gank on a wave that's pushing in. You want waves to be even or pushing towards the enemy turret, and you want to gank in between waves, not when a wave is about to arrive. Don't wait for longer than a single wave unless you're in range to soak XP.
  • Don't give up.

5) How to get good at top
  • Idk I've never actually tried to be good at top. A lot of the midlane stuff applies I guess. Like half of the goons itt are top mains so ask them.
  • Don't give up.

General climbing tips
  • Find a reason to actually get good at the game. Maybe you just wanna show off, or just have a competitive streak, or you wanna be a pro player (:laffo:), but find a feasible goal for you.
  • Make sure you're still actually having fun playing the game.
  • Take frequent breaks in between matches. Queue up with the right state of mind or you're just not going to do well.
  • Saying what you're doing out loud can help you if you're uncertain. Bizarrely enough this does actually help you make better choices, it's what programmers dub rubber duck programming. When loading, just describe your game plan to yourself. Wanna talk some poo poo? Just say it out loud as opposed to actually typing it out. Your family and friends will think you're losing your loving mind but I mean, you are playing League of Legends in 2018 after all.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

cast spells until you run out of mana, or pick a champ with no mana and cast indefinitely

strong bird
May 12, 2009

there should be an annoying mascot that yells at you if you get 2 stacks on your ward trinket

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
hey, whats a good plug and play support/top nowadays? I used to jungle but its all confusing now.

is the blacksmith ram man good

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

fnox posted:

How to get real good at league of legends:

1) How to get good at ADC
  • Farm. Literally just farm. Under all conditions just farm. If you're not regularly hitting 8-9 CS per minute on every match you're not doing it right. Farm two waves, get a jungle camp in between you moving to another lane to get another two waves. If you're behind, farm, if you're ahead, farm. You never stop getting stronger with items.
  • Learn to orbwalk. I do it by alternating a+left click and just left clicking (This is not the most accurate way but it's cleaner overall, IMO). The key is to time it correctly with your attack speed and your AA animation. It is sometimes a good idea to take longer steps to position better. The best position you can often be in is just whichever is the farthest away from other enemies that is still within your AA range.
  • Did your lane phase suck? Is the team failing miserably at their positions? Itemize for faster clear so you can more easily clear waves with super minions on them. Conversely, if you are doing very well, get a BF sword after your first item, get IE and rush GA after it. You need to learn to play from behind to actually climb.
  • Don't give up.

this is really oversimplified and loses all of the nuance of adc, but it is also correct. i would add onto that is learning how to abuse minion patterns. if you are last hitting a minion, you attack minions with low HP. if the enemy adc is competent, they will do exactly the same thing. therefore, not only should you look at your own minions HP for auto range, you should look at the enemies. with this, you can actually predict where the enemy will be, because they will be attacking the low health minion. this is the most reliable way to get free damage in lane if you have a range advantage, once you get used to it.

another thing to keep in mind for learning this role is map awareness. it might seem really basic for all roles to learn map awareness, but if you have solid map awareness as an adc you can get away with some serious gently caress poo poo -- for instance, farming an unwarded lane in enemy territory. it also helps protect you from rotations, as being able to tell that the jungler and mid laner zooped out of mid while your mid laner was helping rift herald or some poo poo is paramount to surviving ganks. if you rely on a river bush ward to protect you, this can often be too late.

it might seem like tough stuff to learn but these are actually very easy things to practice in game. spend one game trying to predict enemy last hits and get free harass, and you will get pretty good at it in laning(i recommend caitlyn or ashe to learn this), and spend another game just focusing really hard on keeping track of the jungler. you will die a lot less, and do a lot more damage in lane once you get these two skills down.

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

fnox posted:

5) How to get good at top
  • Idk I've never actually tried to be good at top. A lot of the midlane stuff applies I guess. Like half of the goons itt are top mains so ask them.
  • Don't give up.

ping ur jungler constantly

strong bird
May 12, 2009

i wish the minimap were bigger

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
i thought all goons prefer to bottom

Radical
Apr 6, 2011

strong bird posted:

i wish the minimap were bigger

you can actually modify your setting json file and set the scale larger than 100%. ive been doing this for years and they still haven't fixed it so i assume its working as designed (???)

its also possible they actually fixed it in the last year and i didnt notice my minimap got smaller but i dont think thats the case

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

strong bird
May 12, 2009

its weird how everyones a carry and some people, myself included (deactivated brain here) pick the one carry slot that actually cant carry (adc)