Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice
So I drifted off of Homeland when it was live but picked back up mid-Season 4 a couple of weeks ago and had a good enough time.

But I'm right near the end of Season 5 and this is very bad. Just tons of coincidence writing, characters not so much being played as being straight dumb. Lowest effort writing out the baby even among a long history of regretting adding a baby in the first place.

Is there light in 6 and 7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Ape Agitator posted:

So I drifted off of Homeland when it was live but picked back up mid-Season 4 a couple of weeks ago and had a good enough time.

But I'm right near the end of Season 5 and this is very bad. Just tons of coincidence writing, characters not so much being played as being straight dumb. Lowest effort writing out the baby even among a long history of regretting adding a baby in the first place.

Is there light in 6 and 7?
Yeah, I remember falling off in early S4 but I’ve heard it’s good in recent years.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/StxNaty/status/997957786200928257

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Holy heck He looks like he aged 40 years in 8 years.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
Jesus, the guy's not even 60 yet.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Josh Lyman posted:

Yeah, I remember falling off in early S4 but I’ve heard it’s good in recent years.

Both of the latest seasons had rough starts but ended fantastically.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo, please tell me that's makeup for a film.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo, please tell me that's makeup for a film.

He does look much like that but that's a particularly bad picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vr4KmmPR4dA

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost
That's more than hyperthyroidism. He looks loving terrible for 55. Like, "I have metastatic cancer" bad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Hyperthyroidism does some crazy poo poo, its not really that surprising.

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

Matt Zerella posted:

Both of the latest seasons had rough starts but ended fantastically.

Thanks for the heads up

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
So I was annoyed that I had to get a new TV but I picked up the TCL 5-series and I was expecting the 4K thing to wow me but it's just kinda nice, not as big a deal as I thought. Now the HDR and Dolby Vision blew me away. I had no idea I wasn't really seeing the colors the way they're supposed to look. I was completely surprised. All weekend I kept occasionally saying "wow" at the TV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, 4K is cool but HDR is where the real improvement is. When OLED TVs come down in price I’m buying the hell out of one.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Yup, HDR and REC2020 color are the real stars of UHD, not the resolution. Home displays can finally show full cinema color gamut and beat cinema on dynamic range.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE

bull3964 posted:

Home displays can finally show full cinema color gamut and beat cinema on dynamic range.

My 17yo daughter asked me why I geeked out so much about the picture quality and I had to explain to her that when I was her age TV quality sucked and watching a movie in the theater was the only way to see it how it was intended by the director. Now that technology has advanced so much she completely takes it for granted. It's pretty dang neat.

I mean, going to the theater is still a fun experience, especially for screen size, it's just not such a deal breaker anymore. No wonder theater sales are down. I wonder if it directly correlates with the advent of HDTV?

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Croatoan posted:

My 17yo daughter asked me why I geeked out so much about the picture quality and I had to explain to her that when I was her age TV quality sucked and watching a movie in the theater was the only way to see it how it was intended by the director. Now that technology has advanced so much she completely takes it for granted. It's pretty dang neat.

I mean, going to the theater is still a fun experience, especially for screen size, it's just not such a deal breaker anymore. No wonder theater sales are down. I wonder if it directly correlates with the advent of HDTV?

Even relative to inflation, movie theater ticket prices have doubled in the past two decades while tv prices have dropped by 95%

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

HDR and grey black level is the biggest issue for me in the theater now. I don't have any Dolby Cinemas close by and normal DLP projection is so grey compared to the inky black on my OLED.

3d is also better on my OLED than theater too, but those discs are getting few and far between.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

swickles posted:

No, it really is. Hyperthyroidism generally is easy to treat, and while weight loss (generally only 5-10 pounds) and changes in skin, hair, and nails is common, it generally doesn't make a fifty-five year old guy look seventy. It looks like it's a combination of the angle and terrible lighting -- he doesn't look nearly as bad in the video Party Plane Jones posted.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Well this could be something, or just a bunch of EP credits who knows?

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/998594451378397185

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

IRQ posted:

It's gonna be bad. Really bad.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Matt Zerella posted:

It's gonna be bad. Really bad.

Ah, good to know. Glad you informed us.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

IRQ posted:

My guess is also EP credits but who knows, maybe Obama's finally decided that the world is ready to see his epic universe-spanning sci-fi series about galactic samurai warrior Barrioh.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

lelandjs posted:

My guess is also EP credits but who knows, maybe Obama's finally decided that the world is ready to see his epic universe-spanning sci-fi series about galactic samurai warrior Barrioh.

Barrioh and his army of futuristic drone planes.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Oh and I watched Ready Player One. It wasn't terrible. You guys get so worked up over silly stuff sometimes. Also I watched The Last Jedi to check it out with the HDR and it's rad. Super good Star War.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Croatoan posted:

Oh and I watched Ready Player One. It wasn't terrible. You guys get so worked up over silly stuff sometimes.
*Lucille Bluth voice* Oh, go watch a Star Wa--

Croatoan posted:

Also I watched The Last Jedi to check it out with the HDR and it's rad. Super good Star War.

nevermind

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

swickles posted:

Yeah, my mom aged like ten years thanks to Graves' Disease. That poo poo will wreck your body hard.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

tetrapyloctomy posted:

No, it really is. Hyperthyroidism generally is easy to treat, and while weight loss (generally only 5-10 pounds) and changes in skin, hair, and nails is common, it generally doesn't make a fifty-five year old guy look seventy. It looks like it's a combination of the angle and terrible lighting -- he doesn't look nearly as bad in the video Party Plane Jones posted.

Sure, for some its a straightforward treatment, but I have seen plenty of cases where they age years in a period of weeks in appearance. It also depends on the cause of his hyperthyroidism.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Croatoan posted:

Oh and I watched Ready Player One. It wasn't terrible. You guys get so worked up over silly stuff sometimes.

The movie was much, much less offensive than the book.

It was still a very bad movie though.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
The book was god awful trash. I just said it wasn't terrible. By no means did I imply that it was good.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin

IRQ posted:

At least the book didn't gently caress with the Iron Giant IIRC :argh:.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

HOLY poo poo YES

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/expanse-revived-season-4-at-amazon-1113803

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Haha it sounds like they picked up because Bezos wants more episodes to watch.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I'm holding my excitement until a statement comes directly from Amazon.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003
But they haven't picked it up yet, the title of that article is very misleading as the article itself says they are just in preliminary talks which isn't really a change from a week ago.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

IRQ posted:

basically. the book is Twilight levels of "so bad it's fascinating".

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Wait, when did Expanse get cancelled by Syfy?

Shouts to Jeff Bezos for using Amazon Prime Video as his pet project to adapt his favorite sci-fi/fantasy novels

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HorseRenoir posted:

A week and a half ago, in the bloodbath of 20+ shows getting axed by various networks and channels.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

HorseRenoir posted:

You missed all the anguish and fury earlier in the thread.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

IRQ posted:

Thanks, Obamas.

Croatoan posted:

Oh and I watched Ready Player One. It wasn't terrible. You guys get so worked up over silly stuff sometimes. Also I watched The Last Jedi to check it out with the HDR and it's rad. Super good Star War.

RPO was bad but not memorably bad, I forgot it existed until I read this post. Certainly wasn't worth the ticket price.

And yes, TLJ is indeed rad, and flavored to perfection by the tears of "NOT MY STARWAR" crybaby fanboys.

raditts fucked around with this message at 00:02 on May 22, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Hey Hulu subscribers, I am leaving the US for a week. Does it work outside of the US? Is it like Netflix where they have a whole different library? Is a VPN a viable option?