Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

BloodBag posted:

I guess stuffing the front of the store with t-shirts, funco pops, and waifu figurines and shuffling all the games half-assedly to the back was a bad strategy. Who'd have thunk?

I wonder if they offer protection plans for the Guy Fieri funco tchotchkes.
I walked by the front of one the other day and while it used to have a bunch of game posters in the window, it is now mostly ads for non-gaming things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
GameStop is slowly morphing into Hot Topic, so that's no real surprise.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

FilthyImp posted:

GameStopic

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I walked by the front of one the other day and while it used to have a bunch of game posters in the window, it is now mostly ads for non-gaming things.

At this point I think the non gaming poo poo is all that’s keeping them afloat.

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

FilthyImp posted:

FYE is further along this trend. The last time I walked in one, at least 75% of the store space was devoted to Funko Pops, anime figurines and TV show T-shirts. What little music there was could be found in the very back.

I blame torrents, Spotify and Pandora.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I thought FYE went out of business a decade ago.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

CharlestheHammer posted:

At this point I think the non gaming poo poo is all that’s keeping them afloat.
I wouldn't be surprised. Games are going digital, and people who still want physical discs can get them off amazon(including used games)/in any big box store. Why bother going to gamestop at that point?

Detective No. 27 posted:

I thought FYE went out of business a decade ago.
:same:, except I found out I was wrong when I saw one a few months ago. It was pretty surreal.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!
FYE is going big into vinyl so they might stick around for a while if that fad keeps up.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Haifisch posted:

I wouldn't be surprised. Games are going digital, and people who still want physical discs can get them off amazon(including used games)/in any big box store.
Not only that, Amazon and BestBuy figured that games are a loss leader and poo poo like Prime Discounts/GCU are a reliable drop in price for the folks that need that new game now.

GameStop's business practices are so hosed that I bought a "new" copy of a week-old game and they handed it to me in a paper sleeve like it was a honor to shop with them.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Our GameStop, which I mostly used to buy gifts and such, dropped dead at the end of the last year, and were liquidating their wares.

I picked LOTR XBoneS for 180 Eur. and half a dozen games 15-20 Eur per item brand new, 0-day DLC included.

Only time I felt that I was not hosed over by their prices or policies.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Raldikuk posted:

FYE is going big into vinyl so they might stick around for a while if that fad keeps up.

Considering it's been a fad for like, 20 years, I assume it will. And I don't mean that glibly, it's been at "fad" levels of enjoyment and market since the 90s and has neither grown nor shrank in popularity. I guess there'll always be a niche market for vinyl.

Last time I was at an FYE, was the one at the mall by my mom's house last year. It's a good sized store, but only half of it is at all movies and music, and that means literally all their cds, vinyl, dvds, and blu rays are crammed into half the store, while the rest is whatever merchandise. They had a ton of space devoted to marked down band shirts and stuff. It's weird, they even have a dedicated area to retro game machines like Retrons and those plug and play 50 genesis games in one things.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

One of the guys I've bought from on Etsy is encouraging his former buyers to visit his website as he transitions away from Etsy

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Gann Jerrod posted:

Moviepass is hemorrhaging money. Speaking as someone who has a moviepass, I'm not surprised at all. I'm honestly surprised it's lasted this long.

I think everyone has known it’s not a financially viable model; it’s a “we’ll capture the market and then make money with our dominate position!” plan. I’m perfectly willing to use venture capitalists’ money to see the movies. It’s even less wrong than using VC’s money to use the ride sharing services’ similar models since those hurt the more-regulated incumbent taxi services and “contractor” drivers.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

That link talked about them selling members the soundtrack to the movie they just watched to make money lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Professor Shark posted:

That link talked about them selling members the soundtrack to the movie they just watched to make money lol

That business model comes pre-disrupted

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Professor Shark posted:

One of the guys I've bought from on Etsy is encouraging his former buyers to visit his website as he transitions away from Etsy

I work with a guy whose wife did jewelry or whatever on Etsy for years but had to give it up because every time she came up with something new, there'd be copies within days getting cranked out in China for a third of the cost.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Australian counterpart to GameStop, EB Games, seems to be striking more of a balance of actual games and merchandise (doesn't help that with lovely australian internet physical media still has a foothold) but they've actually turned at least one store into half dedicated video game/general franchise merchandise store. Only partly Funko Pops.

Not the worst strategy I figured, since there's clearly demand for it and you can't reliably find game merchandise in regular stores.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Sears is closing even more stores than previously announced.

One Sears in my city already closed last year. The only other one remaining started their "going out of business" sale last week.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Doggles posted:

Sears is closing even more stores than previously announced.

One Sears in my city already closed last year. The only other one remaining started their "going out of business" sale last week.

drat, the one closest to me is closing.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Randaconda posted:

drat, the one closest to me is closing.

Does it really change your life?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Saw that this morning. Looked through the cities and saw Gainesville is on the list, and my immediate thought was "HOLY poo poo! THE KMART IS FINALLY DYING!!"

..and then it's the Sears at the mall that's closing, with Kmart living to see another day. The Sears sucks too so good riddance, but why won't this loving Kmart die???

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

It's probably selling drugs

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

kumba posted:

Saw that this morning. Looked through the cities and saw Gainesville is on the list, and my immediate thought was "HOLY poo poo! THE KMART IS FINALLY DYING!!"

..and then it's the Sears at the mall that's closing, with Kmart living to see another day. The Sears sucks too so good riddance, but why won't this loving Kmart die???

Right? That K-Mart isn't it the best location, and is really lovely, yet it won't loving die.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.theverge.com/2018/5/18/17366528/snapchat-decline-internet-ghost-towns

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Whatever happened to just keeping a diary?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Balliver Shagnasty posted:

Whatever happened to just keeping a diary?
Same thing that happened to the horse and buggy.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Krispy Wafer posted:

Scene opens at GameStop HQ...

"Used games are already our most profitable items. What if...we sold them at new game prices?"

This is from six months ago but lol is it ever relevant.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

https://twitter.com/cnn/status/1002165355442253829?s=21

Sears is dying a little faster

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Citadel Mall-75 by Will King, on Flickr

Citadel Mall-76 by Will King, on Flickr

uli2000
Feb 23, 2015
I think we just need to rename this thread the Sears Death Watch/death pool. At this rate, will there be any stores still open by Christmas 2019?

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Sears stores or are you taking over/under on capitalism collapsing before the new year?

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

FilthyImp posted:

I just visited the States and there was literally a GameStop and Hot Topic in one storefront

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Those funko things are essentially adult beanie babies

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

vyst posted:

Those funko things are essentially adult beanie babies

*Image of couple in divorce court in the late 90s divvying up Beanie Babies*

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I'm still torn over which Funkopop thing is sadder:

This:

or this: https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Zedd posted:

I'm still torn over which Funkopop thing is sadder:

This:

or this: https://imgur.com/a/RdTiF

the contract, by a wide, wide margin. the collector isn't going "MUST HAVE FUNKO POPS" without any remote care for what they are, he's just got a couple things he's big fans of (Batman, WWE, horror movies, 90s/early-2000s cartoons) and grabs up all the ones related to those along with all the con exclusives and weird gimmicks (like "flocked" pops, where they're made with fur on them).

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 13:36 on Jun 1, 2018

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the contract, by a wide, wide margin. the collector isn't going "MUST HAVE FUNKO POPS" without any remote care for what they are, he's just got a couple things he's big fans of (Batman, WWE, horror movies, 90s/early-2000s cartoons) and grabs up all the ones related to those.

Is it not the same person? In the Imgur thread they say his name is James, same as the contract.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Well, I have never seen the entire collection before :stonk:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Krispy Wafer posted:

Is it not the same person? In the Imgur thread they say his name is James, same as the contract.

I thought the imgur guy's name was Chase?

e: :stare: okay wow the last name is the same what the gently caress, I think they are the same person

that contract made it sound... a lot more indiscriminate and faster than it appears to actually be, I'm pretty sure this dude's been buying Pops for literally as long as they've existed (some of those are the really really early box design where it tells you they're vinyl figures) and he seems to have specific goals in mind ("collect everything for my fandoms" and "collect everything with a weird gimmick").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

the contract, by a wide, wide margin. the collector isn't going "MUST HAVE FUNKO POPS" without any remote care for what they are, he's just got a couple things he's big fans of (Batman, WWE, horror movies, 90s/early-2000s cartoons) and grabs up all the ones related to those along with all the con exclusives and weird gimmicks (like "flocked" pops, where they're made with fur on them).

He has 15 different Jokers so even if you stick to a narrow range of topics it's still a massive sink.