Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I forgot about Chewies radio shack headset. Who is he even talking to with those? Hans not wearing any

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

banned from Starbucks posted:

I forgot about Chewies radio shack headset. Who is he even talking to with those? Hans not wearing any
He wants to ignore Han but is being polite about it.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

He's using one of those handless phones so he can drive the ship and tell his wife he'll be late for dinner tonight at the same time.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

Calaveron posted:

Now I kinda want the climax of ep 9 to involve the falcon getting completely loving obliterated

There has been a lot of speculation about that.
Episode 7 - Han dies.
Episode 8 - Luke dies.
Episode 9 - Leia di... oops. With Carrie Fisher gone, there goes Leia's grand death scene.

So who do we have left whose death could resonate with the old audience? Speculation I've heard in various podcasts points toward either Chewie or the Falcon. Or both.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Drop a moon on chewie. Give him the death he earned 10+years ago

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames
Chewie won't die yet. He can be in the fourth trilogy whenever that happens. Disney isn't going to let that one go.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BarronsArtGallery posted:

Chewie won't die yet. He can be in the fourth trilogy whenever that happens. Disney isn't going to let that one go.

Yeah, nothing that can be replaced with CGI will ever die. R2-D2 will be indestructible forever because he just beeps and boops but C3PO might eventually die when Anthony Daniels retires.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Dave Syndrome posted:

So who do we have left whose death could resonate with the old audience?

it turns out that the yellow STAR WARS logo, as well as every single story crawl, are actual physical objects floating in space. The Millenium Falcon, piloted by John Williams, Chewbacca, and a really bad CGI Leia, blow up the story crawls with lasers and then kamikaze into the Star Wars logo. Smash cut to the closing credits (times new roman on white background - no music)

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Comically, if you remember the Star Wars resurgence in the 90's with the special edition. All of the marketing was of characters that wore masks or were puppets, Yoda, Vader, Stormtroopers. Almost never saw Luke/Leia/Han on a can of Pepsi or a BK commemorative cup. Likely because GL didn't want to pay any money to the actors for their likenesses.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Chewie won't die.

They could put anyone in the suit and it wouldn't matter.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
bring back Lando and then immediately kill him.Introduce him for 5 seconds just so the audience recognizes it's Lando, have him get shot right after, and then just linger on his corpse for another 30 minutes or so

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CharlestonJew posted:

bring back Lando and then immediately kill him.Introduce him for 5 seconds just so the audience recognizes it's Lando, have him get shot right after, and then just linger on his corpse for another 30 minutes or so

Not even 30 minutes or introduced for 5 seconds just pull Terry Crews in Terminator Salvation for maximum nerd rage.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

Comically, if you remember the Star Wars resurgence in the 90's with the special edition. All of the marketing was of characters that wore masks or were puppets, Yoda, Vader, Stormtroopers. Almost never saw Luke/Leia/Han on a can of Pepsi or a BK commemorative cup. Likely because GL didn't want to pay any money to the actors for their likenesses.

They wouldn't have had to pay them poo poo. GL owned their likenesses (for the age the movies were made) and could use them on whatever he wanted. Carrie Fisher told stories about it.

It's why the Bantam book covers started looking ridiculous as they went on. They couldn't age the characters up the way they now knew the actors were aging. They could only take the likenesses they owned already and "old age makeup" them up, causing horrific poo poo like this.

This took place 45 years after ANH...like 4 years from now, compared to when the movie came out.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

thrawn527 posted:

They wouldn't have had to pay them poo poo. GL owned their likenesses (for the age the movies were made) and could use them on whatever he wanted. Carrie Fisher told stories about it.

It's why the Bantam book covers started looking ridiculous as they went on. They couldn't age the characters up the way they now knew the actors were aging. They could only take the likenesses they owned already and "old age makeup" them up, causing horrific poo poo like this.

This took place 45 years after ANH...like 4 years from now, compared to when the movie came out.

I always wondered why the VHS:

had Yoda, Stormie, and Vader, and not the main characters. I assumed it was rights, but I guess not.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Jerk McJerkface posted:

I always wondered why the VHS:

had Yoda, Stormie, and Vader, and not the main characters. I assumed it was rights, but I guess not.

I honestly think it was A) just to be different than the old posters and B) because those images are far more iconic, in my opinion, so they work better for a more minimalist look they wanted.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the real question is why is it backwards

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

I had those when I was a kid, and Yoda seems especially weird to me, because he's not really a substantial part of that movie. It seems like the thought process was like this:

Episode IV: "Alright, first movie, what's the most iconic character from the movie? Clearly Darth Vader. Boom, book it."
Episode V: "Okay, Empire is striking back, so what image symbolizes the Empire the most? Darth Va...poo poo, we already used him. Okay, Stormtrooper it is."
Episode VI: "It's the return of the Jedi, so we need a Jedi. Using Luke would be weird, as we haven't used actors up until now, so...I guess Yoda? He's in this movie, right? I think? For like 5 minutes? Sure, whatever, no one really cares anyway, and people like Yoda."

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

kidkissinger posted:

Chewie won't die.

They could put anyone in the suit and it wouldn't matter.

That was my point. lol at CGing Chewie ever. He was practical even in Episode 3.

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

thrawn527 posted:

I had those when I was a kid, and Yoda seems especially weird to me, because he's not really a substantial part of that movie. It seems like the thought process was like this:

Episode IV: "Alright, first movie, what's the most iconic character from the movie? Clearly Darth Vader. Boom, book it."
Episode V: "Okay, Empire is striking back, so what image symbolizes the Empire the most? Darth Va...poo poo, we already used him. Okay, Stormtrooper it is."
Episode VI: "It's the return of the Jedi, so we need a Jedi. Using Luke would be weird, as we haven't used actors up until now, so...I guess Yoda? He's in this movie, right? I think? For like 5 minutes? Sure, whatever, no one really cares anyway, and people like Yoda."

Coulda used Jabba for ROTJ.

(I almost said an Ewok)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
CGI chewie and get him jumping around like the hulk imo

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Another likely reason for the Vader-Stormie-Yoda set is that they wanted a uniform set of three photographs, and they are all masks that can be pulled out of the closet or remade (or rendered these days) to be photographed for stylistic uniformity.

(and if you dont like the Yoda one you'll have to take that up with John C Reilly in Step Brothers)

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

thrawn527 posted:

I like how you say the Disney movies are uncreative and lazy, and then proceed to bitch about how uncreative and lazy a prequel character was.

I know this was from years ago but;

it's almost like they're both bad??????

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, nothing that can be replaced with CGI will ever die. R2-D2 will be indestructible forever because he just beeps and boops but C3PO might eventually die when Anthony Daniels retires.

When the movies see a moderate dip in profits in the next trilogy you bet your rear end they'll kill R2

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 18:16 on May 22, 2018

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.

i like this meme, wanted to share

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Is dash rendar in solo?

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

He should have his own movie imo

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I hope they start to ape Marvel and do genre movies like one where Chewie is young and has to go to wookiee high school.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
should call it chewbacca: homecoming and have michael keaton in it

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Change it up big time by making Keaton the crusty old Principal, Birdo Fett

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Zas posted:

Is dash rendar in solo?

Dash Rendar is just a cooler Han Solo.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA

Ammanas posted:

should call it chewbacca: homecoming and have michael keaton in it

Mr. Mom starring Chewbacca

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Air Chewie

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

He should have his own movie imo

Hell they should do a whole Shadows of the Empire film

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

JBP posted:

Air Chewie

Air Lumpy, surely?

Or maybe A Goofy Movie, but with Wookiees

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Hell they should do a whole Shadows of the Empire film

Leave out the creepy pheromone rape and I'm game.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It would be much more interesting to me if the shadowy mastermind in Solo was Prince Xizor instead of Darth Maul.

Wank
Apr 26, 2008
Teras kasi is canon bitches.

Edit: Solo is like a 1980s action adventure fantasy movie with modern day effects, and that is fine by me.

Wank fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 23, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Well, it was alright.

A ton of dumb things which I could nitpick, but there were some good bits too.

I wish they went more western with it though, cut out some of the characters and one or two locations and strip it back a bit.

It was pretty great to have Maul be the ringleader, but the cgi work on him was pretty awful (colour holograms = terrible) and a bit cheesy, but Witwer was good with the voice.

Polo-Rican posted:

it turns out that the yellow STAR WARS logo, as well as every single story crawl, are actual physical objects floating in space. The Millenium Falcon, piloted by John Williams, Chewbacca, and a really bad CGI Leia, blow up the story crawls with lasers and then kamikaze into the Star Wars logo. Smash cut to the closing credits (times new roman on white background - no music)

It is actually a hologram floating above Coreilla. At least the SOLO logo is.

Cross-Section posted:

Reminder that the Falcon is only slightly less hosed up than the Resistance is at the end of TLJ:

Way more hosed up near the end of solo. crash lands on a landing platform and bits are falling off...

yet lando still somehow takes off again in it.

drunkill fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 23, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
oh yeah

lando is robosexual. confirmed.

His dick is probably mangled from gears and whatnot.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

drunkill posted:

oh yeah

lando is robosexual. confirmed.

His dick is probably mangled from gears and whatnot.

He saw the "Do not fist robot girls" warning and said "Challenge accepted. I won't use my hands..."

drunkill posted:

It was pretty great to have Maul be the ringleader, but the cgi work on him was pretty awful (colour holograms = terrible)

Weird thing is, holograms have oftentimes been stated to be in color
Depends on the quality of the projector, and range from monochrome blue, to subdued colors, to full-on color and realistic holograms (such as Snoke's use of them)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Yeah true, but snoke hologram was dumb anyway.

The red really stands out because the rest of the hologram is blue, so when he takes off the hood of his black robes (with blue highlights due to hologram) and you see his red face it stands out a bunch. Then the bright red lightsaber is even more contrast-y. Voice by Sam Witwer, like in Clone wars and Rebels. Ray Park is shown, but given it is a hologram with facemakeup and added cgi, it looks a bit weird and stands out. He is older and ugly.

Infact, here is a screencap I found on reddit of Maul: https://i.redd.it/g9lmt5u49lz01.jpg

There is a war scene in this, sorta Starship Troopers infantry-rush style war. Dark, very muddy, trench warfare-like, which I think some people were expecting RO to be, instead of a tropical and bright battle. This is muddy and gritty but basically 100% infantry focused and no enemy is really seen except as silhouettes.

AT-AT dropships, ISDs hanging around in-atmosphere in the far distance, imperial army assault on some random planet.