Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

all cartoons have become trash

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Steven Universe is still cute and good, when we get more than like 4 new episodes every 6 months anyway.

Ema Nymton
Apr 26, 2008

the place where I come from
is a small town
Buglord
Did anyone notice Sara appreciating Klassic SomethingAwful Fashion SWAT in the midnight screening for Deadpool 2?

https://youtu.be/SwG_SX5Uerc?t=14m34s

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014

Mr Phillby posted:

They're not really any more homogenous than the original thundercats was with shows like He-man and See-ra.

Thiiiis. Same with every DC show that wasn't Teen Titans. And both Disney and Nickelodeon had a ton of shows with the exact same drawing style.
Oliver Harper has a new retrospective on Showdown in Little Tokyo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1h7ducpvQo

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Animate all shows like Okami

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers

RareAcumen posted:

hell fuckin yeah

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

cat doter posted:

hell fuckin yeah

Smaller studios are allowed to go for Gargoyles instead if they can't match Okami's level of quality

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

RareAcumen posted:

Please stop, I can only get to excited.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
cartoons are lame. you know what's cool? an restropective about unreal by LGR!!!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjS6rLKnU0c

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

LGR covers the 1998 classic Unreal, which is a game I hear the name of a lot but didn't know much about until watching this retrospective. With Half-Life coming out towards the end of 1998, I can see why it's not mentioned very often and it's claim to fame comes from its licensed engine.

Edit: Beaten

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Max Wilco posted:

I think an issue with a lot of shows nowadays is that they're animated in Flash (or something similar)

That's because it's all vector-art with backgrounds. It's virtually the artistic end-point of Newground flash animation.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

That's because it's all vector-art with backgrounds. It's virtually the artistic end-point of Newground flash animation.

I mean, to be fair to Flash, there are some great looking things being made in actual literal Adobe Flash.

https://giant.gfycat.com/GiantFavorableBushbaby.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/UnhappyFearlessAfricangroundhornbill.webm

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

So if that's what they get with flash, what horrible 90s era program do anime studios use to make their cgi crowd characters?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I mean, to be fair to Flash, there are some great looking things being made in actual literal Adobe Flash.

https://giant.gfycat.com/GiantFavorableBushbaby.webm
https://giant.gfycat.com/UnhappyFearlessAfricangroundhornbill.webm

I think the first is CGI and the second is hand-drawn though. The cartoons being discussed are all really simplistic vector-art. It's not a software thing.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Both Crybaby and Apocrypha were done in Flash primarily, they're notable for being two high profile shows done mostly in it and there was a lot of press about it at the time.

There's a long article detailing it but I can't find it right now so have the devilman run tweet instead.

https://twitter.com/sciencesaru/status/953142470748946432

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Terrible Opinions posted:

So if that's what they get with flash, what horrible 90s era program do anime studios use to make their cgi crowd characters?

A budget

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Terrible Opinions posted:

iirc, it's because Japanese animators have some kind of weird belief that the CGI animation framerate needs to be the same as that used for conventional 2D anime and they're trying to mimic the conventional animation style. And thus it stutters badly. It's perfectly possible to have it move smoothly, because Cyborg 009: Call of Justice looked great.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

homestar runner used flash ergo flash cartoons are good

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
Strat-Edgy rants about Thief 4 for an hour:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-9fDku4Cvg

Mr.Radar fucked around with this message at 18:37 on May 21, 2018

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

That's what I said, but I guess it got cut of the quote for some reason; you can do some pretty impressive stuff with Flash, but it can sometimes make stuff look really sterile and automated depending on how it's done.

The impression I get is that really good looking stuff you see done in Flash (only example I can think of right now is something like Harry Partridge's stuff) is that it starts out as hand-drawn cells, and then Flash is used to compile them or clean them up. With some shows like Johnny Test or Total Drama Island, they look like they're done totally through Flash.

Still, I guess it's better than Clutch Cargo.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
It all depends on time, resources, and manpower, just like traditional animation. Old Hanna-Barbara cartoons aren't any better than new shows just cause they were all done without computers.

Cheap cartoons are gonna look cheap, that the bar of "cheap" has moved up a fair bit from yesteryear doesn't change that.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

Mr.Radar posted:

This guy's scenery chewing is super annoying, which is a shame because his points are otherwise pretty good.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

I did a video on my experiences with dial-up internet up til 2014, and how I coped with it.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Mr.Radar posted:

It still makes shake my head when think about how at the start of Thi4f, nuGarrett says, "It's not about how much you steal, it's what you steal", and then you spend the majority of the game stealing forks and syringes that are only worth like 1 or 2 gold each.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Arcsquad12 posted:

God of War is actually fun to play unlike Last of Us. Though I really am sick of the over shoulder 3rd person view. It's bad in shooters and it's even worse in brawlers where you need situational awareness. It's what put me off Senua's Sacrifice even if that game is quite good for what it is.

this. as someone who disliked the other god of war games(kratos being a giant prick plus the gameplay style) i am genuinely enjoying the new god of war. the combat is fun once you get the hang of it and the story isnt bad for what it is. the BOY and kratos are a make a fun and interesting pair and i think it does a pretty good job of showing the various themes and poo poo.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Ok, I gotta ask this: Is having a laggy connection really such a boon in playing online fighting games? I see dopes like DSP and others blame their losses on the opponent "cheating with a bad connection and doing lag combos", and it just eludes me. Living in South America, having a bad connection always meant being delayed and bodied by everyone else in every game, but I'm not big of fighting games so I'm not sure the netcode compensates or something.

Or I may be giving them too much credit.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

It's an excuse for punks most of the time, if a match is actually lagging the hell out then both sides are feeling it. Of course some characters might do better under lag, but that's not really A Thing usually.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Max Wilco posted:

It still makes shake my head when think about how at the start of Thi4f, nuGarrett says, "It's not about how much you steal, it's what you steal", and then you spend the majority of the game stealing forks and syringes that are only worth like 1 or 2 gold each.

Especially when old Garrett exclusively went for jewels, rare bottles of wine and expensive jewelry in the old games. Hell, the smallest bit of gold he deigned to pick up was 25 in a stack! He was all about stealing the unstealable, like the Pagans' sacred opal, or the Holy Symbol of the Hammerites (during the service). He'd take the gold fillings out of your teeth if he'd think they were worth something to someone.

Gary, on the other hand, is playing Skyrim.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I hadn’t played the old games and I was still horribly disappointed by Thief 4. I went into it expecting something like Dishonored, and it ended up feeling like a cheap knockoff of that game.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

iirc, it's because Japanese animators have some kind of weird belief that the CGI animation framerate needs to be the same as that used for conventional 2D anime and they're trying to mimic the conventional animation style. And thus it stutters badly. It's perfectly possible to have it move smoothly, because Cyborg 009: Call of Justice looked great.

I prefer anime CG to have the typical anime frame-rate as long as there are 2D bits in the same show, because otherwise it's really distracting to me. Never watched a fully-CG anime, so I don't have an opinion on that particular version of this.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Tasteful Dickpic posted:

Especially when old Garrett exclusively went for jewels, rare bottles of wine and expensive jewelry in the old games. Hell, the smallest bit of gold he deigned to pick up was 25 in a stack! He was all about stealing the unstealable, like the Pagans' sacred opal, or the Holy Symbol of the Hammerites (during the service). He'd take the gold fillings out of your teeth if he'd think they were worth something to someone.

Gary, on the other hand, is playing Skyrim.

Well, Steven Russell was also the voice of Thieves Guild leader in Skyrim (which was also was a mess of a narrative).

Bakeneko posted:

I hadn’t played the old games and I was still horribly disappointed by Thief 4. I went into it expecting something like Dishonored, and it ended up feeling like a cheap knockoff of that game.

A lot of the stuff they did in Thief 4 is stuff that they seem to have cribbed from Dishonored, and it's funny since Dishonored captures the essence of the old Thief games far better.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Sephyr posted:

Ok, I gotta ask this: Is having a laggy connection really such a boon in playing online fighting games? I see dopes like DSP and others blame their losses on the opponent "cheating with a bad connection and doing lag combos", and it just eludes me. Living in South America, having a bad connection always meant being delayed and bodied by everyone else in every game, but I'm not big of fighting games so I'm not sure the netcode compensates or something.

Or I may be giving them too much credit.

The idea is that there are simplistic strategies that function under laggy conditions and are employed on someone who's playing conventionally and getting disrupted by it. I think there's some kernel of truth to that in the sense that when a player has a laggy match they'll naturally avoid doing a lot of precise inputs, which is why online play isn't considered 1:1 to local.

Of course DSP being himself just calls online inherently mega laggy and that losing proves that he was fighting scrubs.

Motto fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 21, 2018

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Taken from this video

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

how come they did berserk in cgi. you'd think one of the most popular mangas ever would have a high quality anime.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

Berserk just can't catch a drat break for animation, lowest bidder crap over and over.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
inexperienced director who insisted on doing it all CGI with a team of animators that had never worked with CGI before, then threw out months worth of work and had the team start everything from scratch like three months before the first episode aired

they actually had a decent budget, though, it was higher than Land of the Lustrous for example and that show turned out pretty drat good, so it was more likely mismanagement and nobody at the top really caring for the show at all

the most impressive part is that somehow things got even worse for the second season

SatansBestBuddy fucked around with this message at 00:49 on May 22, 2018

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

they shoulda got the redline folks to do berserk.

and why did they make a bad anime for the only magna i've actually read (junji ito). you think a grandmaster would get better treatment.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Groovelord Neato posted:

they shoulda got the redline folks to do berserk.

if they got the Redline people to make a Berserk anime the episodes would come out at the pace of the Berserk comic

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i'll allow it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Gundam Origin films use CGI really well and evenamage to have the 2d animated characters stand alongside the CGI mobile suits and still look decent.