Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

dragonshardz posted:

So, on the advice of neogeo, posting here. I'm currently looking for work in IT, but at 26 haven't had much luck even with some (~2 years) of helldesk experience. I'm currently going to school for an AS in Systems Administration, but have no certs yet because I have basically no money with which to pay for the test. I can only afford school because of Pell Grants. Hell, I don't even know which certs I should go for.

I feel like I'm on the edge of being a goon in a well - despite being willing to learn and work my way up, I can't even get my foot in the loving door.

I should elaborate that I'm looking more for general directional advice than specific career advice. How the gently caress do you get HR flacks to do more than toss your resume unread, for example?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

dragonshardz posted:

I should elaborate that I'm looking more for general directional advice than specific career advice. How the gently caress do you get HR flacks to do more than toss your resume unread, for example?

I feel like it came from here, but somebody said applying for jobs is just as much luck as it is actually fitting the role they are looking for. Sort of like online dating. You sent out a bunch of resumes just hoping some of them stick so you can go meet them and see what they're all about.

That probably ruined the whole delivery, but basically keep your head up. There's gotta be something out there you can sink your teeth into; though we do have a few people who live in pretty dry markets.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

Honestly it's not been a major problem in my life, though I assume that's not because I'm some special supercoder.

I'm in a pretty good sellers' market right now and getting a new job (assuming I don't go back to an old client) looks something like this:
1. Approx 2-4 weeks of combing every job aggregator every day and applying to every job that looks decent, maybe 30 total
2. Of those 30 I have an introductory chat with maybe 15, mostly worthless agency recruiters
3. Of those 15 I interview with 6 or 7.
4. Of those 6 or 7 I'll get 4 offers, reject 2 because of red flags in and around the interview, and pick between the last 2.

blackswordca
Apr 25, 2010

Just 'cause you pour syrup on something doesn't make it pancakes!

dragonshardz posted:

It depends on area, but here knowing somebody seems to be the only way to get an interview if you aren't a walking tech deity willing to work for half the going rate.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

blackswordca posted:

It depends on area, but here knowing somebody seems to be the only way to get an interview if you aren't a walking tech deity willing to work for half the going rate.

This is depressingly accurate for our area....

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

ChubbyThePhat posted:

I feel like it came from here, but somebody said applying for jobs is just as much luck as it is actually fitting the role they are looking for. Sort of like online dating. You sent out a bunch of resumes just hoping some of them stick so you can go meet them and see what they're all about.

That probably ruined the whole delivery, but basically keep your head up. There's gotta be something out there you can sink your teeth into; though we do have a few people who live in pretty dry markets.

Hilariously, that was me. Except that I'm pretty sure I said it in the poo poo pissing you off thread. Or maybe the resume thread.

EDIT: Found it, and it is from the poo poo pissing me off thread:

neogeo0823 posted:

If it's any consolation, the world of resumes and cover letters is a baffling thing. It's a bit like those really old proto-memes about dating women; You know, "as soon as you think you know the rules, they will change them", etc. The resume and interview thread is even like that. I posted a resume that I thought followed the OP to a T, and was immediately told to literally throw it out and start from scratch. Then the next few people started posting about resumes that were two column and had blue accents and poo poo.

Really though, I've come to find that the world of job hunting actually is a lot like the world of online dating. You fill in a bunch of forms, answer a bunch of personal questions about your likes, wants, needs, and hobbies, (in certain places) upload a photo, and then send blind messages to everywhere that you can in the hopes that literally anyone will do anything other than ignore you completely.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 17, 2018

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

dragonshardz posted:

Keywords. A lot of early HR filtering is done automatically, so edit your resume so that your phrasing includes the keywords you're reading from the spec. Don't lie, just make sure you#re matching how you talk about your history to the history they want. I have heard of people including the entire job spec in white text at the end to try game this, but I have no idea how well that'd work and if you get rumbled it won't look good.

Then poo poo out all the applications you can and get lucky :shrug:

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Keeping my head up is hard as gently caress. Going into year 2 of being unemployed save for a short stint at the local TRU during the holiday crush, nothing else otherwise. Probably part of why I'm getting ignored?

Jaded Burnout posted:

Honestly it's not been a major problem in my life, though I assume that's not because I'm some special supercoder.

I'm in a pretty good sellers' market right now and getting a new job (assuming I don't go back to an old client) looks something like this:
1. Approx 2-4 weeks of combing every job aggregator every day and applying to every job that looks decent, maybe 30 total
2. Of those 30 I have an introductory chat with maybe 15, mostly worthless agency recruiters
3. Of those 15 I interview with 6 or 7.
4. Of those 6 or 7 I'll get 4 offers, reject 2 because of red flags in and around the interview, and pick between the last 2.

Wow, you get offers interviews the time of day from HR? :swoon: Teach me your secrets!

blackswordca posted:

So it seems. Any suggestions on how to know somebody when you're a loving poor?

Arquinsiel posted:

Keywords. A lot of early HR filtering is done automatically, so edit your resume so that your phrasing includes the keywords you're reading from the spec. Don't lie, just make sure you#re matching how you talk about your history to the history they want. I have heard of people including the entire job spec in white text at the end to try game this, but I have no idea how well that'd work and if you get rumbled it won't look good.

Then poo poo out all the applications you can and get lucky :shrug:

I have tried doing keyword jiggery and it seems to do about as much as as not bothering so far. I have a base resume I edit for specific stuff and it gets a keyword hit from sketchy headhunter firms every so often.

Luck seems to be where it all falls apart for me.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

dragonshardz posted:

Keeping my head up is hard as gently caress. Going into year 2 of being unemployed save for a short stint at the local TRU during the holiday crush, nothing else otherwise. Probably part of why I'm getting ignored?

:same:

I gave up and am starting my own company while I go back to school. Its amazing how many more recruiters are reaching out to me since I updated my linked in to show me as owner of a company, tho they still sketchy as gently caress and think I want to move to bumfuck Missouri. Maybe Lowtax is looking for a new admin....

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Learn to specialize in a platform where the vast majority of the experts are over 60 and looking for retirement.

You'll get recruiters pinging you constantly.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AlexDeGruven posted:

Learn to specialize in a platform where the vast majority of the experts are over 60 and looking for retirement.

You'll get recruiters pinging you constantly.

I'm a UNIX admin :v:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

I'm a UNIX admin :v:

Which UNIX?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I have solaris experience, Linux(RHEL family and, to a lesser degree, debian family and SUSE), and when placed in front of an AIX aptitude test was able to score the highest the recruiter had ever seen despite never having worked with it.

If you know one UNIX, the rest seem to be pretty easy since the basic concepts are the same.

dragonshardz
May 2, 2017

RFC2324 posted:

I have solaris experience, Linux(RHEL family and, to a lesser degree, debian family and SUSE), and when placed in front of an AIX aptitude test was able to score the highest the recruiter had ever seen despite never having worked with it.

If you know one UNIX, the rest seem to be pretty easy since the basic concepts are the same.

Barring any fucky syntax changes (I'm looking at you, HPux!)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

We spent a really long time looking for a new RPG programmer. RPG like AS400 stuff. We ended up stealing a consultant who we've paid probably 150k to this year to his parent company.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

RFC2324 posted:

AIX was the one I was thinking about specifically. Though a lot of recruiters still have their heads way up their asses. One pinged me for a job in NYC wanting at least 4 years of AIX (I have about 15) paying $80,000. I had to strongly resist the automatic reaction of "lolfuckoff".

Solaris is kind of a weird one, and seems to be pretty regional. There are a few companies around here doing a lot of it, but most of them tend to be more in the Linux space (RHEL and Ubuntu because lolsuse).

If you want to get into the AIX space professionally, look at health systems (EPIC prefers AIX) and auto manufacturing. Financials are hit or miss, as a lot of them are still using Z.

Getting certs is always a plus, I get a lot more calls now that I have my RHCE, even though I don't really use it. If you get a good study guide, you could probably get through the CSA and CE without the classes and save yourself a few thousand. $800 for the CSA and CE total is definitely worth it.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I'm currently taking wgu classes so certifications ahoy. i think my program gets 11 of the suckers.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

ChubbyThePhat posted:

That was probably me. it was probably this post:

Thanatosian posted:

I'm not saying you shouldn't examine your interview skills, resumes, cover letters, etc., but keep in mind that finding a job is--to a certain extent--roulette. You have to be lucky enough that they liked your resume, your cover letter, and your interview more than whoever else they happened to look at. It may not even be that another person was "better" than you, but that they just happened to not hit some pet peeve of the interviewer or something that you did, that they only found one spelling mistake in the other person's cover letter, but two in yours (even though theirs had five and yours only had two), that they were looking for someone with widget X skills specifically, and you've never even heard of widget X, or it's so obscure you didn't bother putting it on your resume and your interviewer wasn't the one making the hiring decision, so didn't ask you about it, or they really don't like Helvetica at the place you're applying and that's the font you chose to use, etc., etc., etc.

Definitely try to improve the things you can, but keep in mind that a huge portion of the job hunt is just completely outside your control, and there's absolutely nothing you can do about.

I'll additionally add that I recommend reading AskAManager's advice on cover letters and resumes. I re-wrote mine based on what she suggested, and immediately started getting more bites (post hoc ergo propter hoc, maybe, but it probably won't hurt).

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

dragonshardz posted:

Wow, you get offers interviews the time of day from HR? :swoon: Teach me your secrets!

TBH I'm rarely talking to HR in the first instance. It's usually another dev, team manager, or a CTO, typically HR get involved *after* the initial sanity check in order to facilitate interviews and then onboarding.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
My wife wants to learn programming, but has no idea where to begin. I think she wants to do app development. What language should she learn?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

My wife wants to learn programming, but has no idea where to begin. I think she wants to do app development. What language should she learn?

Recommend checking out the newbie programming/career thread.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Bigass Moth posted:

I guess python to learn basic programming and then jump to Java for Android or whatever Apple's codebase is? That sounds like a multi-year endeavor to produce even half-working cludgy personal projects.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...
She’s looking at it as a career change possibility within five years.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Codecademy is good for learning the basics. They have a lot of python, and it's geared toward programming logic, which is the biggest hump. After you understand how programming works at a base level, the rest is syntax.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

AlexDeGruven posted:

Codecademy is good for learning the basics. They have a lot of python, and it's geared toward programming logic, which is the biggest hump. After you understand how programming works at a base level, the rest is syntax.

Agreed.

I don't do a lot of programming from scratch myself, but I spend much of my free time modding games which involves looking at other people's code and figuring out how to manipulate it to do what I want. Half the battle is understanding the logic of what is happening, how the and/or/not conditionals work and how for/while loops function. Once you can follow the logic the rest, as Alex said, is just syntax.

Malek
Jun 22, 2003

Shut up Girl!
And as always: Kill Hitler.
fsrm.experiant.ca

RIP :(

EDIT: Praise Nexxai!

Malek fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 18, 2018

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

Malek posted:

fsrm.experiant.ca

RIP :(

Sorry, that was me loving around with some page forwarding rules at CloudFlare. It should be working now.

EDIT: For some backstory - the company that I built (Experiant) merged with another MSP (IT Partners) and I was trying to forward just the main webpage to theirs. I hosed up the rule and made it *.experiant.ca (which technically should have worked since it was the last page rule, but I digress) instead of experiant.ca and https://www.experiant.ca

FSRM isn't going anywhere.

nexxai fucked around with this message at 16:40 on May 18, 2018

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
A coworker who's frequently rude to users over the phone got an earful from our manager today cause he did it right in front of her. He spent his whole morning sulking about it afterwards. Today's been a good day so far.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

The Muffinlord posted:

A coworker who's frequently rude to users over the phone got an earful from our manager today cause he did it right in front of her. He spent his whole morning sulking about it afterwards. Today's been a good day so far.

This reminds me of something that is starting to drive me crazy. Say you've got two employees who have been doing something undesirable, say, making GBS threads on the floor in front of clients.

You bring in Employee #1 and say "I've noticed that you're making GBS threads on the floor in front of clients. We don't want that sort of thing happening here because X, Y, and Z. Please don't poo poo on the floor in front of clients anymore. If you continue to poo poo on the floor in front of clients, there will be significant consequences, such as A, B, or C."

Employee #1 invariably will say at one point "Employee #2 shits on the floor in front of clients! Why aren't you talking to them?"

And later, when talking to Employee #2, "Employee #1 shits on the floor in front of clients! Why aren't you talking to them?"

I always tell them, "this discussion is about you and your behavior" because I don't air other peoples poo poo (lol) out in public but then both floor shitters think the other one got away with it.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Why not say "I will be talking to them later"?

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Jaded Burnout posted:

Why not say "I will be talking to them later"?

Because you don’t tell your subordinates about your plans for disciplining your other subordinates.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
I've seen managers handle this by saying "I know you're not the only one doing it, everyone who is will be spoken to." That way they're not naming names but still communicating that the employee they are currently talking to is not being singled out.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Weedle posted:

Because you don’t tell your subordinates about your plans for disciplining your other subordinates.

On the other hand you've just taken a report of unacceptable behaviour so it seems reasonable to inform them that you'll look into it.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Speaking of making GBS threads on the floor, has anyone had a phantom pooper at work? We had somebody who used to take a dump in the area at the top of the fire exit stairs.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

Jaded Burnout posted:

On the other hand you've just taken a report of unacceptable behaviour so it seems reasonable to inform them that you'll look into it.

Naturally, but we are talking about the kind of people that were already making GBS threads on the floor in front of clients so for them there's no justice unless they personally witnessed it.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
To be fair, yes, that would have been more professional, but it did also serve to make me watch my behavior all day, which was probably part of her intent. He works Friday through Monday and I was off today due to having a toddler with a fever so I don't know how he behaved since but the sting of a public call-out was already fading by the mid-afternoon.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Weedle posted:

100x this. There are rare occasions where public discipline is a good idea, but generally it's no one else's loving business. A childish response like that deserves a blank stare and a good long silence.

Sprechensiesexy
Dec 26, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thanks Ants posted:

Speaking of making GBS threads on the floor, has anyone had a phantom pooper at work? We had somebody who used to take a dump in the area at the top of the fire exit stairs.

At my previous company we had to install security cameras in our Chinese call center because disgruntled night shifters kept pissing on the office floor. No pooping though.

Weedle posted:

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I used to work at a place that packaged some stuff for a large company that rhymes with Belloggs and when that cell phone vid got put on the youtubes of some guy pulling a box of Corn Flakes off the conveyor, whipping his dick out and pissing in it the company had a collective panic attack and we didn't even make Corn Flakes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weedle
May 31, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

I used to work at a place that packaged some stuff for a large company that rhymes with Belloggs and when that cell phone vid got put on the youtubes of some guy pulling a box of Corn Flakes off the conveyor, whipping his dick out and pissing in it the company had a collective panic attack and we didn't even make Corn Flakes

Wow, who pissed in that guy’s c... oh.