Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear
These are slightly less nsfw so hopefully it's ok to just post them inline...after seeing a lot of cosplayers struggle with really improbably thigh high designs, I decided to put my mind to making a one-piece legging with a mesh top that would give the *illusion* of a thigh high without any of the struggle of them falling down/cutting in. The art nouveau style garter and matching velvet underwear was just for fun, this was mostly a "proof of concept" to drum up commissions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
That's just gorgeous :swoon:

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

nesbit37 posted:

There is a fabric pattern that I really like that is up for preorder until 5/20 (for the curious: https://knitoriousfabric.com/collections/products ). I really want to just make a men's t-shirt with this stuff, but am surprisingly having difficulty finding a pattern for one that doesn't do something weird like add pockets to it. Anyone have a good, pretty basic, t-shirt pattern they can recommend? These patterns are fairly expensive so I need to make sure I lock down how much fabric I need before I put the order in since its too much just buy an extra yard and hope its ok.

If you join the Love Notions Pattern FB group you can get a free code for a women's tshirt pattern.
https://www.lovenotions.com/product/laundry-day-tee-xs-xxxl

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Goldaline posted:

These are slightly less nsfw so hopefully it's ok to just post them inline...after seeing a lot of cosplayers struggle with really improbably thigh high designs, I decided to put my mind to making a one-piece legging with a mesh top that would give the *illusion* of a thigh high without any of the struggle of them falling down/cutting in. The art nouveau style garter and matching velvet underwear was just for fun, this was mostly a "proof of concept" to drum up commissions.

I really need to come up with something to commission you to do.

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Funhilde posted:

I really need to come up with something to commission you to do.

Hahaha, I mean, I've got tons of ideas that I can't justify doing otherwise if you can't think of anything. Do you want a parquet inspired bodysuit??

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Goldaline posted:

Hahaha, I mean, I've got tons of ideas that I can't justify doing otherwise if you can't think of anything. Do you want a parquet inspired bodysuit??

That sounds rad as gently caress. gently caress yeah I wanna feel like a fancy floor!

Goldaline
Dec 21, 2006

my dear

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

That sounds rad as gently caress. gently caress yeah I wanna feel like a fancy floor!

I found two shades of wood print spandex and I've been fixated on the idea ever since. I'm also playing with ways to insert 3-D shapes like stuffed spikes or studs and I think mixing the 3-D optical illusion you see in parquet with actual 3-D shapes could be wild.

You could also do something utilizing the sheer stretch mess to have a pattern start to "come apart" or "explode" around the body which could be very cool??

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

legendof posted:

If you just want to make a unisex tee, just trace a shirt you already have - I wouldn't bother to buy a pattern for something that straightforward. If you haven't done that before, watch a YouTube tutorial.

Very simple how to :)

1. Get a seam ripper and unpick everything.
2. Carefully cut it to where the stitches were.
3. Trace out on to paper but don’t cut it out.

You now have a pattern with just the stitching line on it. You need to add second lines running 1cm (1/4 inch) away from your stitching line, and cut round them.

If it were a traditional pattern it would look like

Cutting line-> | : <-stitching line

Where people go wrong is to just unpick and trace, or to trace round the whole thing and end up with a t-shirt wonky or small. :)

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m looking to make a bumper that’s going to run along the edge of a rounded table, got me some vinyl on the cheap (only $4/yd, minus the end of bolt discount!)

I think I want some sort of D shape, so I’d cut on piece to the height that I want this thing to be, and then another piece oversized by like two inches, and then that should be that, right?

Something like this:

And then stuff it with some foam and regular stuffing and I’m probably going to brace the back with some aluminum bars vertically or something, not really too critical, just trying to establish if this is the way to get the shape I want, or is this just going to turn into a circular tube with dumb seam lines? How do I get the shape I want here?

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

It's gonna turn into a dumb tube. I think you need something stiff holding the flat side of the "D" flat- if this weren't going around a table I'd have a couple suggestions, but since it needs to be flexible (in only one direction) I'm at a bit of a loss. Could you make it a "C" shape instead, and have it overlap the table on the top and bottom a bit?

Also, I don't know how much you've worked on vinyl before, so I'm just going to point out that it gets significantly more pliable when it gets hot (and a little stiffer in the cold), so if this is going to be on a table outside, just keep that in mind.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I just sewed a rayon challis tank top -- my first garment! -- and when I put it in the washer, the fabric shredded. I was using a top-loader, short/gentle cycle, cold water, and I washed it alone so it didn't get tangled or messed up by anything sturdier. I hung it to dry, but by that time the damage was done.

How do you wash what you sew? Do you seriously handwash everything? I want to make wearable everyday clothes, so I don't see that happening...

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

legendof posted:

It's gonna turn into a dumb tube. I think you need something stiff holding the flat side of the "D" flat- if this weren't going around a table I'd have a couple suggestions, but since it needs to be flexible (in only one direction) I'm at a bit of a loss. Could you make it a "C" shape instead, and have it overlap the table on the top and bottom a bit?

Also, I don't know how much you've worked on vinyl before, so I'm just going to point out that it gets significantly more pliable when it gets hot (and a little stiffer in the cold), so if this is going to be on a table outside, just keep that in mind.

The c shape would work if it wasn’t
A: covering an empty space between the top and bottom edges
B: has to be removable to get at the inside

I could probably cut up some scraps of 1/4” plywood into like 2” strips to change it from one big tube into a bunch of segmented puffy panels ?

E: and I was oversimplifying a bit, it’s going onto an Arcade cabinet that’s going to live indoors forever, so the vinyl should be relatively fine

E2: it’s going to go around the edge of the console on this guy

Sockser fucked around with this message at 17:43 on May 21, 2018

Funhilde
Jun 1, 2011

Cats Love Me.

Sockser posted:

I’m looking to make a bumper that’s going to run along the edge of a rounded table, got me some vinyl on the cheap (only $4/yd, minus the end of bolt discount!)

I think I want some sort of D shape, so I’d cut on piece to the height that I want this thing to be, and then another piece oversized by like two inches, and then that should be that, right?

Something like this:

And then stuff it with some foam and regular stuffing and I’m probably going to brace the back with some aluminum bars vertically or something, not really too critical, just trying to establish if this is the way to get the shape I want, or is this just going to turn into a circular tube with dumb seam lines? How do I get the shape I want here?

I'd suggest getting some foam that already curves and do some draping to see what the best shape to make would be. You can get different styles usually sold as baby safety items.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Funhilde posted:

I'd suggest getting some foam that already curves and do some draping to see what the best shape to make would be. You can get different styles usually sold as baby safety items.

Similar to this, try a pool noodle sliced in half.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Anne Whateley posted:

I just sewed a rayon challis tank top -- my first garment! -- and when I put it in the washer, the fabric shredded. I was using a top-loader, short/gentle cycle, cold water, and I washed it alone so it didn't get tangled or messed up by anything sturdier. I hung it to dry, but by that time the damage was done.

How do you wash what you sew? Do you seriously handwash everything? I want to make wearable everyday clothes, so I don't see that happening...

I mostly make boring cotton things so not sure I have much to contribute on this question, sorry. :(

Anyone have recommendations for a simple garment pattern book. I had one recommended to me but I can't remember the name. It may have been https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Sewn-Clothes-Every-Season/dp/1620337290/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526925341
or https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Homemade-Simple-Everyday-Designs/dp/4805312874/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526925341

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I know this one by hard won experience. :(

Fabric shrinks, rayon can shrink by 20%. What happened was it shrank and the stitches pulled the fabric apart.

You need to pre-wash and iron all your fabric before you sew, and then as you go along use an iron with the steam off (I use a travel iron) on all of your seams to set the stitches.

WrenP-Complete posted:

I mostly make boring cotton things so not sure I have much to contribute on this question, sorry. :(

Anyone have recommendations for a simple garment pattern book. I had one recommended to me but I can't remember the name. It may have been https://www.amazon.com/Simply-Sewn-Clothes-Every-Season/dp/1620337290/ref=sr_1_6?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526925341
or https://www.amazon.com/Happy-Homemade-Simple-Everyday-Designs/dp/4805312874/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1526925341

Lol hello wrenP :D

My advice it to avoid the books and get vogue starter patterns. (Avoid McCall like the plague), more expensive than other brands but they are much cleaner, have better instructions and seperate the sizes better. What companies do is get the middle size and then just draw the smaller and larger sizes next to them. Our bodies don’t work like that So if you get a pattern that is size 8-16 then size 12 will be perfect but 8 and 16 will be well out.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

learnincurve posted:

Fabric shrinks, rayon can shrink by 20%. What happened was it shrank and the stitches pulled the fabric apart.

You need to pre-wash and iron all your fabric before you sew, and then as you go along use an iron with the steam off (I use a travel iron) on all of your seams to set the stitches.

Lol hello wrenP :D

My advice it to avoid the books and get vogue starter patterns. (Avoid McCall like the plague), more expensive than other brands but they are much cleaner, have better instructions and seperate the sizes better. What companies do is get the middle size and then just draw the smaller and larger sizes next to them. Our bodies don’t work like that So if you get a pattern that is size 8-16 then size 12 will be perfect but 8 and 16 will be well out.

lol, LC, let's post in all the same threads! I'll see what I can get from Vogue starter patterns, good tip!

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

learnincurve posted:

At each step I ironed more than I have ever ironed in my life, cumulatively :qq:

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Anne Whateley posted:

At each step I ironed more than I have ever ironed in my life, cumulatively :qq:

Two other things I can think of is that your thread shrunk, if the thread you used was shiny then It would be it. Or, you didn’t finish off the edges and it frayed - that’s an easy thing to fix next time with a overlocking foot on your machine or zig zag scissors.

Rayon will fade in the was but It really shouldn’t disintegrate all on its own. ???

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
What really shredded was the bias tape on the neck and armholes. You would think an edge frayed until it tore out of the seam, but it didn't! The fabric in the center of the bias tape (so top after application) just shredded. The seams are okay. :iiam:

I also left raw edges on internal seams, those frayed like a beast and I'm not gonna leave them raw again, but at least that's something that seems avoidable in future.

Fwiw I also have a bunch of RTW rayon challis tops of comparable thinness that have held up great in the same washer, less carefully handled. Does Cotton + Steel have lovely weak fabric or??

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Hi thread! I'm getting into reenactment (early medieval, late iron age scandi), and haven't sewn anything since I was a kid. Can I ask dumb questions here?

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tias posted:

Can I ask dumb questions here?

*sees forums.somethingawful up top*

Oh yeah, you're definitely in the right place for dumb questions.

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

I know there are some historical sewing geeks over in the embroidery thread, wouldn't be surprised if they hang out in here too, so you can go from the very dumbest 'how does i thread needle' questions all the way up to the nitpickiest historically accurate garment construction stuff and get answers the whole way through

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

Fru Fru posted:

Similar to this, try a pool noodle sliced in half.

This was the correct solution to the problem
Made a big leather tube, sliced the pool noodle in half, wrapped it in two layers of batting, shoved that fucker in there and hoped for the best.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.
Hooray! Looks great! Glad my robot bumper experience payed off for someone!

Tias
May 25, 2008

vaguely posted:

I know there are some historical sewing geeks over in the embroidery thread, wouldn't be surprised if they hang out in here too, so you can go from the very dumbest 'how does i thread needle' questions all the way up to the nitpickiest historically accurate garment construction stuff and get answers the whole way through

Thanks a lot! I've been looking over this link for some ideas to create a basic low-status 'viking' garment, to practice for more complicated stuff since I haven't sewed anything since forever :ohdear:

In time I'd like to get a viking market stall booth because I do a lot of reconstructionist poo poo (herbal tinctures, shamanic augury and healing performances etc.), but for now I'm in the babbys first pattern area. I'll try to ask them!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

A quiet Saturday night alone, drinking in my basement, watching hockey and Star Trek, and also....

Making some monstrosities, courtesy of a mandala tablecloth from the thrift store, and a 1972 pattern for men's shorts. These are in progress shots (obvs) after 6.5 hours of (very distracted) work. I tried my damndest to line the pattern up. First time doing a zipper, not so bad. The instructions at some point said "Now sew together the crotch." without anything further. Dumbass me made a skirt out of it, then seam ripped it, then attached the crotch a different wrong way 2 times in a row.

Still to do is a buttoned elastic waistband and hemming. And probably endless fiddling and fussing with them afterward. I picked a gently caress of a thing to do as a first pattern project, huh.

cloudy
Jul 3, 2007

Alive to the universe; dead to the world.
Hey, that fabric and print placement looks awesome 👌

My suggestion is if you ever come across some confusing instructions, try to look it up on YouTube so you can actually see someone doing it-- most of the time you can find the right technique being explained/demonstrated.

But those do look great! Especially for a first time and working from an old set of instructions!

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Fuckin' bonus, they match my dirty old phone case.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1003337210912010240
They ended up being slightly too big. I think I hosed up the waistband, or need to add another set up buttons in the back, but by that point the elastic would be taking up a lot.

All in all, I made my first pair of shorts within 18 hours of starting them, so that's neat. A lot of mistakes were made, re-made, and fixed, lessons were learned, and I think I'm ready for nationals, coach!

Rotten Cookies fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 4, 2018

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Rotten Cookies posted:

Fuckin' bonus, they match my dirty old phone case.

https://twitter.com/niceoneWern/status/1003337210912010240
They ended up being slightly too big. I think I hosed up the waistband, or need to add another set up buttons in the back, but by that point the elastic would be taking up a lot.

All in all, I made my first pair of shorts within 18 hours of starting them, so that's neat. A lot of mistakes were made, re-made, and fixed, lessons were learned, and I think I'm ready for nationals, coach!

Got drat I am in love with these. Congrats also on the thrift store find, rarely do I find anything good enough to make a garment from. Usually I use them for muslins.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
Lookin' good there!

Depending on how hosed it is, you may be better off just making a whole new waistband instead of fiddling with the old one, assuming you have enough fabric left over. I would try making the new band one size smaller, then either gathering the excess material in the back or adding a few strategic darts to take up the excess. Just not both. I tried making a pair of capris once, and the pattern called for darts and gathers in order to attach the waistband properly and it was terrible. :gonk:

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

Not my picture but

Here's someone else's try on this pattern. This is the rear of the waistband that has a cover over some elastic band that buttons up.

I..... made these shorts like 3 sizes too big instead of 1 size too big (my idea was that hey, if I get fat, I'll have some wiggle room and can still wear them.) I think in the planning phases I sized up and then did it again by accident..... maybe twice. I'm also thinking I didn't detect this mistake because when I was test fitting, I had the pockets closed up all the way instead of having a slanty opening. I feel I was doomed to start. That, or these become a gift for a girthy friend of mine.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. At the very least I'm out of steam and don't really want to seam rip waaayyy back into this project.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Tias posted:

Thanks a lot! I've been looking over this link for some ideas to create a basic low-status 'viking' garment, to practice for more complicated stuff since I haven't sewed anything since forever :ohdear:

In time I'd like to get a viking market stall booth because I do a lot of reconstructionist poo poo (herbal tinctures, shamanic augury and healing performances etc.), but for now I'm in the babbys first pattern area. I'll try to ask them!

Check out Hurstwic if you haven't for some good pictures of recreated garments. I've worn Rus-style garb a few times, and it's pretty awesome for comfort if you use medium weight linens.

For further reading:

http://www.vikinganswerlady.com/clothing.shtml

https://www.vikingsof.me/downloads/clothing-guide/male.html

https://www.cs.vassar.edu/~capriest/vikgarment.html

And finally if you just feel like shopping, check out linengarb.com. Their Rus pants are the bees' knees.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Thanks a lot! I'd probably go for in-country reconstruction patterns because I'm supposed to portray a Dane, but I'll make sure to check it out.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

The Danish stuff is cool too, I just liked the Rus pants because I could wear low-profile armor -under- them and get acceptable protection without it looking out of place. :)

Plus, you know, giant pants are super comfy.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Posting with a uk bargain for thread. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/55-Assor...872.m2749.l2649

55 rolls for £25 and it’s the same as gutermann sew all.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Not my picture but

Here's someone else's try on this pattern. This is the rear of the waistband that has a cover over some elastic band that buttons up.

I..... made these shorts like 3 sizes too big instead of 1 size too big (my idea was that hey, if I get fat, I'll have some wiggle room and can still wear them.) I think in the planning phases I sized up and then did it again by accident..... maybe twice. I'm also thinking I didn't detect this mistake because when I was test fitting, I had the pockets closed up all the way instead of having a slanty opening. I feel I was doomed to start. That, or these become a gift for a girthy friend of mine.

Thanks for the kind words and advice. At the very least I'm out of steam and don't really want to seam rip waaayyy back into this project.

That's a really pretty purple, and I love the fabric of your top! Did you make that, too?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So the Singer overlocker/serger I have absolutly hated for as long as I have owned it finally died, it snarled it’s last fabric and lunched it’s own timing.

Need a new one that isn’t absolutly dreadful to thread, has to be budget, I’m thinking Brother but I don’t know the difference between each model and the internet is not being helpful.

Also I started a dress with really really expense fabric before I moved house a year ago. Found the fabric pieces all nicely cut out and interfaced and the bodice all assembled but not the instructions. There is so much fabric for the skirt, like four times as much fabric as you would expect and in 12 pieces that this must involve pleats or gathers of some kind. Mystery dress is a go!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
So after much deliberation and reading of online manuals I went for the Brother M343D https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B06WLQ8DBY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It’s latest generation with the more finely tuned threading system and lever/wheel placement, however they have removed the extra feet which you do get with the old bottom of the range one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Is there a sewing machine that is made with hemming small diameters in mind? I got a Singer 4432 Heavy Duty on steep sale from Amazon 2 years ago but I never use it anymore to hem my pants. It's just too tricky trying to keep the fabric straight when I have to readjust it every 1/2 inch.

I really, really just want something I can put a pants leg on and sew around the leg hem without having to try to make the circle flat. Does that exist?