Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

Rex's quest doesn't really seem right. I get wanting to salvage your cyborg pet, but just grabbing a whole new brain from a whole new dog isn't so much healing his illness as it is just replacing him.
I always figured Cyberdogs were like Robobrains, where the brain is used as a organic processor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In nerdy terms: it's like his personality/what made him Rex was loaded into RAM while his harddrive was replaced

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Neurolimal posted:

In nerdy terms: it's like his personality/what made him Rex was loaded into RAM while his harddrive was replaced

I’ve never really understood how Rex’s operation worked until this post. God that sucks for him.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I wish there was a way to just cram all the dog brains you could find into him and see what happens.

Most dogs go to heaven, all others go to Rex.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mantis42 posted:

I wish there was a way to just cram all the dog brains you could find into him and see what happens.

Most dogs go to heaven, all others go to Rex.

Ooh, robocerberus.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

~basic question~

Been having a craving to play through this game and will have to do it on a console. I've heard about the problems with the PS3, and I'll have access to both a PS3 and 360 but would prefer to use the PS3. Are the issues common and severe enough that I should go out of my way to get the 360 version?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

cams posted:

~basic question~

Been having a craving to play through this game and will have to do it on a console. I've heard about the problems with the PS3, and I'll have access to both a PS3 and 360 but would prefer to use the PS3. Are the issues common and severe enough that I should go out of my way to get the 360 version?
None of the Bethesda-Gamebryo games worked well on the PS3 (in no small part due to the limited RAM on that console). If possible, go with the PC version. You really don't need beefy, gaming hardware to run it these days. But if that's not an option, then go for the 360 one.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Arcsquad12 posted:

Fair enough.

I certainly like most of the companions in Fallout 4. They definitely have the best writing in the base game. Granted some of their personal quests have rather questionable timescales, (Maccready your son has probably been dead for months considering how long you've been in the commonwealth with me), or outright retarded conclusions like Nick's quest, but overall they're definitely better thought out than the main plot.

The conclusion to Maccready's personal quest makes zero sense. Like, why does he stay after you find the medicine for his dying son? Shouldn't he, I dunno, go back to DC to make sure the kid is okay? Maybe bring the kid to Boston to live with him at one of my many fine settlements? Something? No? Just gonna keep neglecting your child, huh? Well, I guess I can't really judge, I'm kind of doing the same thing.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
You know, I always give Boxcars a lethal amount of Med-X he wants but he never ends his broke legs misery. :thunk:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I feel like this is probably a common question but the OP is very out of date. I have a really good PC (8800k & 1070) and thinking of replaying NV. What Graphics overhauls would you suggest?

I know you don't really need anything and there's no magic mod, but I put 100 hours into the game with a 2500k & 570 so I thought it'd be fun to stretch it out a bit.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Lockback posted:

I feel like this is probably a common question but the OP is very out of date. I have a really good PC (8800k & 1070) and thinking of replaying NV. What Graphics overhauls would you suggest?

I know you don't really need anything and there's no magic mod, but I put 100 hours into the game with a 2500k & 570 so I thought it'd be fun to stretch it out a bit.

NMC Texture Pack medium size with the washed out wasteland patch.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

The conclusion to Maccready's personal quest makes zero sense. Like, why does he stay after you find the medicine for his dying son? Shouldn't he, I dunno, go back to DC to make sure the kid is okay? Maybe bring the kid to Boston to live with him at one of my many fine settlements? Something? No? Just gonna keep neglecting your child, huh? Well, I guess I can't really judge, I'm kind of doing the same thing.

Maccready's quest and Nick's quest would both be better if their goals were already long dead. Have Eddie Winter starve to death centuries before you find his hideout so Nick can move on from vengeance. Have Mac's son be dead along with his wife, and his whole adventure in the Commonwealth is some Planes Trains and Automobiles twist.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

MariusLecter posted:

You know, I always give Boxcars a lethal amount of Med-X he wants but he never ends his broke legs misery. :thunk:

If you shoot at Boxcars he gets up and runs away, his legs aren't really broken he's just trying to scam you out of some free chems.

(note: I know the actual Doylst explanation to both these things is "programming limits", but the Watsonian explanation is funnier)

Arcsquad12 posted:

Maccready's quest and Nick's quest would both be better if their goals were already long dead. Have Eddie Winter starve to death centuries before you find his hideout so Nick can move on from vengeance. Have Mac's son be dead along with his wife, and his whole adventure in the Commonwealth is some Planes Trains and Automobiles twist.

Huh, I just realized that Nick and Maccready's quests are kind of a reflection of the sole survivor's (Dead lover, endangered son), that could have been interesting if it was handled better.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

Hancock was the only companion worth a drat, and that's because if you take him to the dungeon where you fight the bounty hunter guy, when you emerge on the roof to see the BOS arriving, he takes a long drag of Jet and says "holy poo poo" in the most stoned voice imaginable. Hancock for Mayor of the Commonwealth.

Though I did appreciate that my longtime boyfriend, Paladin Danse, attempted to murder me after I exploded the blimp. His body never despawned so he's just lying at my lovely housefort providing the Lover's Embrace effect as my player character presumably spoons a corpse.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Deciding to pick this NV again for a while since I finished Digimon Cyberstory Hacker’s Memory and...I am stuck on PS3 sadly :shepicide: not sure I am looking forward to the 10+ gig save file when I’m done though, but it’s honestly my only way to really play it.

Gonna try to max out my carry weight as much as I can (because I horde my filthy lucre) and try to do a lot of the content and trophies because I am a :spergin: currently got an 8/3/5/5/8/3/8 SPECIAL stat spread going and gonna pick up all the relevant perks, as well as double/triple dip on Good Natured/Skilled and take a Guns approach to the game most likely, with a dabbling in Melee and Energy Weapons (as well as shotgunning towards Thems Good Eatin towards level 20)

Simsmagic
Aug 3, 2011

im beautiful

Lockback posted:

I'm a big fan of Realistic Wasteland Lighting personally

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/52037/?tab=description

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

MariusLecter posted:

Boxcars actually acknowledges how thoroughly I massacred the Powder Gangers, and in an entertaining fashion, so I'm always happy to give him as much med-x as he wants, and to chat with him.

The other reason, aside from programming issues, is that he's involved in another quest you get later on, in Searchlight, and without him being alive to talk to you in the midst of said quest, it doesn't work so good. So that's probably the main reason he doesn't "get on with it" in a prompt fashion, for player convenience.

I suppose that they could've assigned his part in said quest to another NPC, but he's the only non-hostile person between Mojave Outpost and Searchlight's NCR patrol, and the latter wouldn't help you loot the town, while Boxcars is located in close proximity to the quest objective he helps you find. Given that the idea that the Legion killed EVERYONE in Nipton (aside from #1 and #2's in the lottery) is pretty thematically important, and Oliver is playing tag with radscorps and losing his mind, that just leaves Boxcars, who is conveniently crippled and thus immobile for the courier to come talk to about this other thing.

Also, killing yourself isn't actually as easy as we tend to think it may be, even when we're in a lot of pain with no hope of relief.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

If you shoot at Boxcars he gets up and runs away, his legs aren't really broken
False. He does hobble away, but you can see his legs are broken in VATS.

Caufman
May 7, 2007
He hobbles just fine. Fear of imminent death is the body's natural painkiller.

Paul Revere 3000
Dec 8, 2007

So like a pimp I'm pimpin'
I got a boat to eat shrimp in
Nothing wrong with my leg
I'm just B-boy limpin'

I never knew that the Legion Assassins had more than one attack quote.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.

Paul Revere 3000 posted:

I never knew that the Legion Assassins had more than one attack quote.

They have three, yeah.

The NCR squad have, like, at least *20*, on top of actually giving you a few days to increase your NCR rep before they commit to attacking you.

I guess it's a commentary on freedom of thought in their respective societies...?

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp
So not only is the Frontier mod still going on, it might actually come out this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COadLxnCWQc

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Acebuckeye13 posted:

So not only is the Frontier mod still going on, it might actually come out this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COadLxnCWQc

Looks neat! Wonder what the NCR deserters call themselves

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Man, Chemist and Logan's Loophole are making this slow food healing mod I'm working on literally (almost) three times as much work as it already was (which was a lot, since I'm worse at scripting than half the first-graders out there these days) and I'm adding in base effects and conditions by hand in geck for every single variable on every single food item.

Given that I spent all of last night manually made a separate dummy for every possible combination of standard (non-chemist/LL) food healing rates, I suppose I'm crazy enough to do it, but, maaaan.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
The Sons of the Courier.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

A new account has risen to bless us

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017764658277769216?s=19

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017478773531402240?s=19

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017422192131403776?s=19

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017526349228138496?s=19

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017246970837131264?s=19

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017423920776077312?s=19

https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1018185444650049538?s=19

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
lol

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

he is too good for this sin-cursed world :allears:

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
This is the best one IMO
https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017772156590133248

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
I hope this brings rise to a Fallout New Vegas HD Remaster

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In poking at the leftovers of the development of Dead Money alongside the current, ongoing LP, I've come to the conclusion that players were originally going to be able to revisit the Sierra Madre after finishing the DLC, like you can with the other DLC areas. Has there been any attempt to mod that function back in?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Discendo Vox posted:

In poking at the leftovers of the development of Dead Money alongside the current, ongoing LP, I've come to the conclusion that players were originally going to be able to revisit the Sierra Madre after finishing the DLC, like you can with the other DLC areas. Has there been any attempt to mod that function back in?

There's a lot of mods that let you return to the Sierra Madre and Zion.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

quote:

boone murders 8 people with one bullet 2000miles away from dinkys mouth, winks at the camera and says "My Wifes Dead"

Double Agent
Mar 28, 2005

Maybe we're not just a bunch of frak-ups after all.
https://twitter.com/falloutnewdril/status/1017485062168829953

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Who buys food in F:NV? I thought it just kind of appeared over time.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

chitoryu12 posted:

There's a lot of mods that let you return to the Sierra Madre and Zion.

You don't need a mod to return to Zion.

Fallout Wiki posted:

The player is able to return to Zion after completing the add-on, however followers still cannot accompany you. They also cannot be left waiting at the Northern Passage, and instead will return to their home (ED-E back to Primm, etc.). This is due to the 14 day length of the trip into Zion.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

By more candles.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009

clearly this courier isnt picking up every tin can, battery, scarp of metal, toaster and whatever other junk he finds in the desert.

Weavered
Jun 23, 2013

You sure this is this New Vegas? Looks just like my Walmart shopping list to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
There's no way your companions are dying with that many stimpaks