Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

homullus posted:

Reasonable. The writers did go out of their way with "just a dot" on the globe, though; if all they needed to communicate was "Chicago," they could have gone with a Robin drawing.

A drawing of a single white sock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Gorilla Salad posted:

And, for what it's worth, it definitely looks like the same room. Though given how cookie cutter the sets are in the Lighthouse, that itself doesn't mean too much.

With the knife in the exact same position, too.

jumba
Sep 6, 2004

Hang in there!
Fun Shoe

Bruceski posted:

With the knife in the exact same position, too.

And wasn't the room full of "stuff" before? If Deke vanishes, his previous work vanished too? Where did the twinkies that Deke had have had brought go?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

jumba posted:

And wasn't the room full of "stuff" before? If Deke vanishes, his previous work vanished too? Where did the twinkies that Deke had have had brought go?

I thought he got all that stuff from the outside world. I'm guessing it went back to where he got it from.

Ubik_Lives
Nov 16, 2012

Teek posted:

I'm not sure this is right. If your "previous" timeline is the one we also see in the security camera footage of Daisy yelling at someone, then that doesn't really make sense unless Coulson also never took the serum that time around. What I think was different, was that he didn't take the serum, but left it behind in that timeline. This time around, he stashed it in the gauntlet. In this scenario, you have Daisy still yelling in the same exact way, allowing her to still fulfill the video. Though it's a bit fuzzy, because in my conceptual idea of the timelines, the video being exactly the same really doesn't matter ultimately, it's just a bit of a narrative device.

I think the first time around Yo-Yo isn't wigging out during the debate about what to do with the serum, so May can't destroy the Kree Odium thing on the sly. They talk to Coulson, he orders them to make the serum, Daisy is still pissed when she leaves the plane, nobody realises the odium supercharges you and makes you crazy before you die, Talbot destroys the world.

GreenNight posted:

I thought he got all that stuff from the outside world. I'm guessing it went back to where he got it from.

I think it's just a visual shorthand to signify that he's vanished and the earth has been saved, but you can't think about it for more than a second. Deke has been actively helping the team, and all of that stuff has stuck. The entire team took actions based on a timeline that no longer exists, should they all disappear and be replaced by non-time jumping versions of themselves? Shouldn't Fitz disappear once frozen Fitz will no longer be able to reach his destination? I mean, Fitz definitely can't reach a destroyed world future, but there is a tiny chance that Deke could still be born (and then just sent back in time because why not), so why choose him over Fitz. Why is the original multitool there? Did someone else put the multitool in Deke's room, and he put everything else in around it?

Not to mention the whole Deke vanishing thing was Fitz's theory based on him trying to reconcile his immutable timeline theory with Gemma's belief that they can change the timeline, and as a result is a flawed assumption based on mutually exclusive ideas, where a change will just transition to a new, but still fixed timeline. It's basically the other side of the coin to Gemma's acid drinking experiment, where she tries to utilise the immutability of time so she can change it.

I think Deke just took all his stuff and left.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Gorilla Salad posted:

In the first shot of Deke's room they made a point of showing both future/present versions of Fitz's knives sitting on the bench amongst all the crap he had squirrelled away.

Then they had Jemma pick up a single knife at the end.

It's still ambiguous -- in that earlier scene Deke says that he's a packrat by nature. He'd have taken his knife with him.

(Of course, if Deke did vanish, then the Fitz that died should also have just vanished, and he didn't so...)

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

A drawing of a single white sock

:golfclap:

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

Open Source Idiom posted:

It's still ambiguous -- in that earlier scene Deke says that he's a packrat by nature. He'd have taken his knife with him.

(Of course, if Deke did vanish, then the Fitz that died should also have just vanished, and he didn't so...)

He took his knife. He left the newer one.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

homullus posted:

Graviton got less sane with time and more powerful with more gravitonium. I don't think he'd have to absorb Daisy to split the world if he kept scooping up all the gravitonium (cf. Robin being told to draw "a dot" everywhere there was gravitonium and subsequently covering half the globe in Sharpie) and going crazier as he did so. I get what you're saying, but the time loop result really doesn't require Daisy's involvement (other than presumably her death shortly after her last known footage). Graviton believed a number of things that were wrong, and "must absorb Daisy" might just be there to explain why he doesn't just crush her from a distance when they fight.

My impression is that the quake powers had nothing at all to do with the actual destruction of the planet.

I think the original timeline they chose to use the Centipede formula to deliver the Odium, supercharging Graviton to the point of him obliterating things; the prompt death from heart failure after eliminating him immediately following this. He likely obliterated Daisy in this timeline.

The reason I think that this is what happened is ultimately May smashing the Odium based on what she was told about him 'putting the pieces together' is the moment things actually changed. Because she was outvoted: There were more people in favor of weaponizing it than saving Coulson. Ultimately by not weaponizing it, it lead to Coulson giving a non-suicide formula to Daisy instead.

I mean it was always a terrible plan: Turn the super powerful being pulling up it's element out of the ground a thing to overclock them to 100 for 5 minutes.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
One thing I would have liked to see from this episode was Daisy acknowledging that what Fitz did was wrong, but that he did it for the right reasons. Her powers saved the day several times during these last four episodes or so.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

I feel that her not acknowledging that is in character for Daisy and her people skills.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I feel that her not acknowledging that is in character for someone who literally had painful unwanted surgery performed on them.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Oasx posted:

One thing I would have liked to see from this episode was Daisy acknowledging that what Fitz did was wrong, but that he did it for the right reasons. Her powers saved the day several times during these last four episodes or so.

But now she has to get over it. Fitzicle's last act was broing out with Hunter.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Masonity posted:

He took his knife. He left the newer one.

Yes. I'm not sure what your point is though? Why would he take his grandfather's stuff when he's got his own knife?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I kinda want to see Deke burst in though a door like Kramer in the first episode of next season.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Open Source Idiom posted:

Yes. I'm not sure what your point is though? Why would he take his grandfather's stuff when he's got his own knife?

The newer one would be his grandfathers, the old one is "his" because it has gone through time and was handed down to him.

I think Deke will still be around next season, they left it sort of ambiguous but I think he's going to be key in finding Fitz (since he took that star map from the alien ship).

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

twistedmentat posted:

I kinda want to see Deke burst in though a door like Kramer in the first episode of next season.

"Lemons, Mack! Lemons!"

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Mack makes rash emotional decisions all the time, like refusing to leave the Framework because of his fake daughter.

They should've made Davis the new leader.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

I really liked Mack when he was helping Fitz recover. I really don't like "Captain America, but less pleasant and even more naive" Mack. Yo-yo in Cassandra Mode hasn't been fun, but she's at least been interesting. I hope they both move on to new places next season. Mack is going to have to make some hard decisions with his heaven/hell worldview, and it might get somebody killed.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

I just realised that after more than a season of the team constantly having to defend Daisy whenever people accused her of trying to kill Talbot, she totally killed Talbot.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

BreakAtmo posted:

I just realised that after more than a season of the team constantly having to defend Daisy whenever people accused her of trying to kill Talbot, she totally killed Talbot.

He'll get the last laugh in a few years when all that gravitonium causes the sun to go nova

Grinning Goblin
Oct 11, 2004

The biggest letdown was not finding Jimmy Hoffa's body, 0/10 season finale, should be canceled. F-

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
So what's the over/under on Coulson returning as a Skrull next season. Not sure that plot hook works to get him back into the movies, but it should at least work for the show.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

to be honest after LMD shenanigans I don't want another season of evil doppelgangers

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ouhei posted:

The newer one would be his grandfathers, the old one is "his" because it has gone through time and was handed down to him.

I think Deke will still be around next season, they left it sort of ambiguous but I think he's going to be key in finding Fitz (since he took that star map from the alien ship).

There are actually three knives in play.

The chronologically youngest knife is the one Fitzicle currently has on him. It has never time-travelled.

The middle knife is the one time-travelling Fitz brought to the future the slow way, and then back by time monolith, and which probably ended up in the empty room Jemma returned to.

The third knife is the one that was eventually passed down to Deke, which he brought back by time monolith too, and most likely took with him when he left to enjoy Earth

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Imagine four knives on the edge of a cliff.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Actually they're multitools :smuggo:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

sticklefifer posted:

Mack makes rash emotional decisions all the time, like refusing to leave the Framework because of his fake daughter.

They should've made Davis the new leader.

Davis is a vet, he's been around since season 1.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

twistedmentat posted:

"I'm out!"

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Teek posted:

So what's the over/under on Coulson returning as a Skrull next season. Not sure that plot hook works to get him back into the movies, but it should at least work for the show.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Teek posted:

This was the Skrullson that dies, we get the real son of Coul back next season

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Coulson dies on that beach and then turns to dust because he’s been a clone of Peter Parker this whole time.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Bruceski posted:

Fitz is dead, long live Fitz.

As for Deke, his packrat room was spotless except for Fitz's copy of the knife, which was in the exact same place it was when the room was full, not nudged in any way. I think the idea that he walked out has gone the way of "they just talked."

Earlier in the show, they showed two copies of the knife on the table. After, they only showed the one. I think this means Deke was blinked out of existence.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's Schrödinger's Deke, he is in a state of uncertainty until the writers and showrunners know whether they have the budget and narrative to include him as a cast member or even guest actor.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

double nine posted:

it's Schrödinger's Deke, he is in a state of uncertainty until the writers and showrunners know whether they have the budget and narrative to include him as a cast member or even guest actor.
Exactly. They just left it up in the air, so you can believe what you want to believe until next season. He either went on his trip or he disappeared from reality. There would be a lot of paradoxes if he disappeared, though, right? Like, would all the stuff he affected be undone? That's why time-travel stories have like a billion plot-holes if they're not done in the exact right way.

It wouldn't even make sense because Future Fitz didn't disappear, even though they're about to pull him out of his space pod.

The only way it works is if it's the multiverse theory where all the timelines still exist on different branches/realities. That's my bet. Deke no disappear.

JazzFlight fucked around with this message at 17:05 on May 23, 2018

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

JazzFlight posted:

Exactly. They just left it up in the air, so you can believe what you want to believe until next season. He either went on his trip or he disappeared from reality. There would be a lot of paradoxes if he disappeared, though, right? Like, would all the stuff he affected be undone? That's why time-travel stories have like a billion plot-holes if they're not done in the exact right way.

It wouldn't even make sense because Future Fitz didn't disappear, even though they're about to pull him out of his space pod.

Did you not watch this last season or something? There's more than one way time travel works in speculative fiction, and one of those ways is that you can't undo your own past, and can have duplicates of yourself around.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

homullus posted:

Did you not watch this last season or something? There's more than one way time travel works in speculative fiction, and one of those ways is that you can't undo your own past, and can have duplicates of yourself around.
But this season they were putting forward two competing theories. Fitz and Simmons claimed the future can't change and that they're invincible because Deke is around. Meanwhile, Deke says the multiverse theory just means that he will stick around because he's from another dimension where the earth blew up. If they save the earth in this dimension, it won't affect him at all.

Since they saved the world and "changed the future," it means that Fitz and Simmons were not invincible and that their original theory was wrong.

I'm just confirming that the show ended this season acknowledging that "Back to the Future" style time-travel where you disappear from reality isn't the way they're doing things.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:rip: Flint

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

JazzFlight posted:

But this season they were putting forward two competing theories. Fitz and Simmons claimed the future can't change and that they're invincible because Deke is around. Meanwhile, Deke says the multiverse theory just means that he will stick around because he's from another dimension where the earth blew up. If they save the earth in this dimension, it won't affect him at all.

Since they saved the world and "changed the future," it means that Fitz and Simmons were not invincible and that their original theory was wrong.

I'm just confirming that the show ended this season acknowledging that "Back to the Future" style time-travel where you disappear from reality isn't the way they're doing things.

If that's how BTTF time travel works then explain how old Biff gave himself the almanac in the past and then returned to the good future in the Delorean :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

SpartanIvy posted:

If that's how BTTF time travel works then explain how old Biff gave himself the almanac in the past and then returned to the good future in the Delorean :colbert:
The writers cheated with that one and had Old Biff start coughing/dying as he walked away from the car. I think in the commentary track they claimed that he disappeared off-screen right after that.

I think that even they knew it was a mistake and tried to fudge it half-way.