Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alan Smithee posted:

from what I gather they don't even explain why the Jackie Chan Kung Fu China is still called Karate Kid since I didnt watch it. I feel like this show could address that without being preachy. Hell have Jackie Chan show up

Because Will Smith has more money than god and wanted to reboot a beloved franchise to serve as a summer blockbuster vehicle for his kid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Alan Smithee posted:

from what I gather they don't even explain why the Jackie Chan Kung Fu China is still called Karate Kid since I didnt watch it. I feel like this show could address that without being preachy. Hell have Jackie Chan show up

Technically they don't even have to address it until everyone gets sick of these two. All these characters care about is Receda.

China might as well be in a different galaxy.

Thranguy
Apr 21, 2010

Deceitful and black-hearted, perhaps we are. But we would never go against the Code. Well, perhaps for good reasons. But mostly never.

Propaganda Machine posted:

Because Will Smith has more money than god and wanted to reboot a beloved franchise to serve as a summer blockbuster vehicle for his kid.

If he had only called it "The Kung-fu Kid" people would have still made the connection and it wouldn't have been as dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I only saw the 2010 film once but if I remember correctly the bullies taunted Jaden's character by calling him Karate Kid when he tried to fight them. It was a very "Aaaaaand here's your title folks!" kind of moment.

It's not all bad though, Will Smith's brother in law Caleb Pinkett is one of the main people we have to thank for this show as he's the one who got all the permissions in order from Smith and Weintraub's estate. According to the creator's he was super into the idea of the show.

X-O fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 19, 2018

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZW6lx9FSiFc

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Alan Smithee posted:

It was going to be called Kung Fu Kid, but marketing tested better with the Karate Kid so they kept the name and had a few throwaway lines about karate in it.

Its also the second best Karate Kid movie and way better than it has a right to be.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Darko posted:

It was going to be called Kung Fu Kid, but marketing tested better with the Karate Kid so they kept the name and had a few throwaway lines about karate in it.

Its also the second best Karate Kid movie and way better than it has a right to be.

Isn't it Kung Fu Kid in every English speaking country except America?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Darko posted:

Stop spreading these lies.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS
I mean, it kinda is, if you correctly view KK1 and KK2 as one big movie.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

They did a good job turning Miguel into a scary badass. Hawk too, those kids did good training work. I wonder how long they spent learning karate moves

The cafeteria fight is great, when he ducks the fat kids punch, ooh wee

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Solice Kirsk posted:

That's what I don't get. Daniel got a "you're all right Larusso" and watched Johnny get assaulted by his psychopath teacher and yet he's holding this dude he probably hasn't encountered for decades accountable for poo poo that he didn't even do. Danny's a bitch made punk. Robby is gonna be a bitch made punk for following him. Our only hope is that Sam and failed cum son turn out to be more like their mom.

It really seems like all of Daniel's resentment comes directly from his hated of Cobra Kai. The first time he sees Johnny, he's genuinely happy to talk to him (albeit with some dumb smugness about the tournament). It wasn't until he sees that Cobra Kai is open again that he starts to turn against him. I mean he did walk in and see "Strike First" and "No Mercy" on the wall again, and then heard from his daughter's boyfriend that Johnny jumped him for no reason.

What's a little disappointing is that Johnny and Daniel have several conversations in this season, but at no point does Daniel say ".... so you're not teaching your students the way Kreese taught you, right?" Johnny even acknowledges how lovely Kreese was, but never says "I won't be like him."

With the success of this season and with all the Ali mentions in it, I hope they can get Elisabeth Shue to guest on an episode next season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
good lord i had literally forgotten about the Karate Kid remake

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had too until I saw Will Smith in the credits.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a competent summer movie, and I liked Sifu Chan. It was just another in a lineup of eh action flicks that year.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Propaganda Machine posted:

I had too until I saw Will Smith in the credits.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a competent summer movie, and I liked Sifu Chan. It was just another in a lineup of eh action flicks that year.

I am a giant baby and I thought Chan's little lesson at the end of the "jacket" scene ("Everything is kung fu") was really moving. But yeah, that was Chan's presence as much as anything else.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'm pretty certain that Smith's backing of this project was him apologizing for his son making GBS threads on the memory of the original films.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

I'm pretty certain that Smith's backing of this project was him apologizing for his son making GBS threads on the memory of the original films.

Eh, it wasn't that bad, especially by the standards of howlingly unnecessary movie reboots. It helped that it came out before Jaden Smith established himself as a complete idiot.

e: also the kids in the movie were played by actual kids and not 25-year-olds doing coke in between takes which was a nice touch

Clipperton fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 20, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yes it was.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Clipperton posted:

Eh, it wasn't that bad, especially by the standards of howlingly unnecessary movie reboots. It helped that it came out before Jaden Smith established himself as a complete idiot.

e: also the kids in the movie were played by actual kids and not 25-year-olds doing coke in between takes which was a nice touch

Wasn't Ralph Macchio 21 when he made KK1? I thought I read that somewhere and it just :psyduck: my mind.

Clipperton
Dec 20, 2011
Grimey Drawer

Silly Burrito posted:

Wasn't Ralph Macchio 21 when he made KK1? I thought I read that somewhere and it just :psyduck: my mind.

Dutch and Jimmy were both in their 20s too iirc, it's nuts

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!

zoux posted:

They did a good job turning Miguel into a scary badass. Hawk too, those kids did good training work. I wonder how long they spent learning karate moves

The cafeteria fight is great, when he ducks the fat kids punch, ooh wee

The more I think about it, Hawk was the real winner in this movie. He went from being unable to speak he was so shy, to ripping off his shirt and yelling during a public contest. He also got the cutest girl in the movie; though she was an airhead. He also moved past his sycophantic friendship to become his own person. I can forgive him becoming a bully himself because hey that's what happens when you flip the script.

Re: Jaden Smith's Karate Kid, ok it was obviously just a vehicle to help try and make Jaden's career, but the movie wasn't awful and it at least tries to depict life in another country, particularly an Asian country that isn't Japan. I mean I'm sure that was just part of the marketing strategy, so that they could court the Chinese government, but still. It wasn't terrible but in comparison to some of the other reboots of franchises that poo poo on one's childhood that falls in the middle.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jaden's Karate Kid is fine. It's literally right in the middle quality wise if we're taking all five movies into question. It's better than KK3 and Next Karate Kid for sure (though 3 is infinitely more rewatchable). I'd put it and KK2 pretty close but KK2 barely edges it out I think. Of the five films it's one of three that are legitimately well made and good films.

I have only seen it once though, as I said I don't find it as rewatchable as the original trilogy which I've seen many many times.

X-O fucked around with this message at 18:36 on May 20, 2018

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Just finished all of season 1. I'll echo everyone and say that this was surprisingly good. I really hope they find a way to bring in Elisabeth Shue for season 2.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

X-O posted:

Jaden's Karate Kid is fine. It's literally right in the middle quality wise if we're taking all five movies into question. It's better than KK3 and Next Karate Kid for sure (though 3 is infinitely more rewatchable). I'd put it and KK2 pretty close but KK2 barely edges it out I think. Of the five films it's one of three that are legitimately well made and good films.

I have only seen it once though, as I said I don't find it as rewatchable as the original trilogy which I've seen many many times.

It does edge out KKIII, but I think that's a sign of the times and production value. There's no arguing that it was slicker, but I was much more invested in Daniel than Jaden, whose character's name I don't even remember. I don't particularly want to watch it again, but he had some serious attitude problems. It's fun going back and reminiscing about how Daniel was actually the rear end in a top hat, but at the very least he made an honest go of his new life in Reseda. Jaden was just like, "China sucks; I hate this entire country."

Propaganda Machine fucked around with this message at 06:03 on May 21, 2018

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Hughmoris posted:

Just finished all of season 1. I'll echo everyone and say that this was surprisingly good. I really hope they find a way to bring in Elisabeth Shue for season 2.

Have her come back to her hometown after getting divorced. Oh my God she could end up with Jonny after all.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
God help me, about to watch KK3. Fuckers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'm watching KK3 now and I'm quite sure I never saw it before. I definitely saw and enjoyed the first one in theater so it's really wild to me that I had no interest in the sequels, in fact I somewhat doubt I knew they existed.

edit:

ok so, me during the first hour of KK3: "this isn't so bad, it's just super boring"

me during the second hour: :suspense:

precision fucked around with this message at 11:51 on May 21, 2018

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
I had to skip through the end of the scene in the cliff. There were a few painfully bad and awkward scenes in there.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005
I wish I could justify keeping youtube red but the other shows are crap and so is the music.
Since all it does is pull the audio from youtube videos, the sound levels are all over the place.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Just cancel it, there's nothing to feel bad about.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I'd like Daniel's Okinawan lovechild to visit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I'd like Daniel's Okinawan lovechild to visit.

Bonus points if s/he shows up wearing that sweet Chozen yellow shirt.

edit:
Ha, I just remembered Daniel was in an actual life or death karate fight.

Solice Kirsk fucked around with this message at 14:48 on May 21, 2018

waah
Jun 20, 2011

Better stay in line when
You see a Pavel like me shinin

Solice Kirsk posted:

Bonus points if s/he shows up wearing that sweet Chozen yellow shirt.

edit:
Ha, I just remembered Daniel was in an actual life or death karate fight.

Super extra bonus points if Chozen's kid shows up and s/he blinks excessively just like dad.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

God help me, about to watch KK3. Fuckers.

What's your take?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Oh man I just remembered there was a Karate Kid cartoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFz2ElerHnM

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

Daniel rides a torpedo launched from a submarine headed toward a battleship, jumps off the torpedo onto a airplane, jumps from the airplane into a car (that jumped) and gets in the car and lands.

I'm not lying. I also saw the sphinx and I think Lao Pan from Big trouble in little china town.

EDIT: I missed a motorcycle jump onto the airplane before riding the torpedo.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

MiddleOne posted:

What's your take?

Beforehand, I was sure that I'd seen it once and simply forgot most of it, but now I'm sure I got 15 maybe 20 minutes in and just said "nah."

It was bad, but not as bad as I was bracing for. Its biggest problem seemed to be just rushed scenes and dialog. It absolutely could have been salvaged, imo.

e: Oh and loving lol when Kreese shows up at the dojo and scares the poo poo out of Daniel. Also when Miyagi mocks Silvers "woooahhh" sounds and gestures. I'm tempted to skip to that part with the rifftrax on.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 21:11 on May 21, 2018

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

spandexcajun posted:

Daniel rides a torpedo launched from a submarine headed toward a battleship, jumps off the torpedo onto a airplane, jumps from the airplane into a car (that jumped) and gets in the car and lands.

I'm not lying. I also saw the sphinx and I think Lao Pan from Big trouble in little china town.

EDIT: I missed a motorcycle jump onto the airplane before riding the torpedo.

When you know Karate, you can do anything.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Hipster_Doofus posted:

e: Oh and loving lol when Kreese shows up at the dojo and scares the poo poo out of Daniel. Also when Miyagi mocks Silvers "woooahhh" sounds and gestures. I'm tempted to skip to that part with the rifftrax on.

Then you'd miss out on them riffing on Silver in the sink, silver in the goofy car, silver soliciting a guy in a nightclub, silver... You get the idea.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

MiddleOne posted:

Then you'd miss out on them riffing on Silver in the sink, silver in the goofy car, silver soliciting a guy in a nightclub, silver... You get the idea.

Yeah the Rifftrax is amazing. And man, Macchio was on a lot of cocaine. And it's hilarious when you get to the last act and it still says "Under 18 Tournament" and you suddenly remember that this chubby coked-up turbo-Guido is textually supposed to be 17 and that this millionaire toxic waste mogul is spending all his time on a kid and just lmaooooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
The best part is "oh there's a new rule that last year's champion doesn't have to fight in the tournament, he can just skip to the finals."

I guess to spare us a tournament montage or to spare Ralph from having to do more katate than necessary.

• Locked thread