Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

creationist believer posted:

I wish that the Thunderdome Shifty Station from a while ago would become a new ranked mode. Basically like Splatzones, but every 30 - 60 seconds, the zone(s) become locked off and whoever won it keeps it. Then, everyone moves to trying to control a different zone (or pair of zones)

Agreed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/998369650986569728

Turns out that there was an issue with the latest Splatfests in all regions where the matchmaking system accidentally created far more lobsided lobbies than usual, if you were wondering what was going on with that.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

creationist believer posted:

I wish that the Thunderdome Shifty Station from a while ago would become a new ranked mode. Basically like Splatzones, but every 30 - 60 seconds, the zone(s) become locked off and whoever won it keeps it. Then, everyone moves to trying to control a different zone (or pair of zones)

I would be down for ranked turf wars, yes.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

So the band, or rather person, who's handling Octo Expansion's music got revealed.

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/998488945695440896

Dedf1sh is an Octoling DJ who tried to pursue a music career for her future, and went to the facility where Octo Expansion takes place to help with that. However, she got "sanitized" in the process, losing her will. She still makes music, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_os8hX8uXg0

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 21, 2018

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dedf1sh is an Octoling DJ who tried to pursue a music career for her future, and went to the facility where Octo Expansion takes place to help with that. However, she got "sanitized" in the process, losing her will. She still makes music, though.

That's just what electronic dance music does to you.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Octolings must run a literal, dangerous gauntlet if they wish to pull themsevles out of their subterrenian social caste and achieve parity with Squidlings. DJ Deadf1sh represents the constant, looming threat that Agent 8 will fail. Broken by the system, Deadf1sh serves as a spectre of a kind of death, a death of spirit and mind.

doors
May 5, 2018

Dr Cheeto posted:

Octolings must run a literal, dangerous gauntlet if they wish to pull themsevles out of their subterrenian social caste and achieve parity with Squidlings. DJ Deadf1sh represents the constant, looming threat that Agent 8 will fail. Broken by the system, Deadf1sh serves as a spectre of a kind of death, a death of spirit and mind.

they’re squids or inklings, but never squidlings. still awesome though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

doors posted:

they’re squids or inklings, but never squidlings. still awesome though

If, indeed, "inkling" refers to squids exclusively it's a pretty potent illustration of how the dominant class can weaponize language. After all, are squids the only ones who use ink? No, of course not, the entire premise of the Great Turf War relies on squids and octopodes both using their ink to make war on each other.

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Poor Dedf1sh :(

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
It is an analogy for the global south and how unfettered capitalism and decades-old conflicts creates winners and losers on a worldwide scale without their input.

But with cephalopods.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Tempura Wizard posted:

It is an analogy for the global south and how unfettered capitalism and decades-old conflicts creates winners and losers on a worldwide scale without their input.

But with cephalopods.

:yeah:

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Dr. Fetus posted:

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/998369650986569728

Turns out that there was an issue with the latest Splatfests in all regions where the matchmaking system accidentally created far more lobsided lobbies than usual, if you were wondering what was going on with that.

That could explain how I went on a 12 game winning streak...:sigh:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

probably posting two honeypot newbie trap questions but what the hell

is there a power that i can get later that lets me spam two grenades a second like that other guy was just now

also is there any reason not to just use the roller at all times, it seems so far like the best most controllable weapon

i only briefly played splatoon 1 so i have little awareness of this stuff

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ciaphas posted:

is there a power that i can get later that lets me spam two grenades a second like that other guy was just now

Ink Saver (Sub) .

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

also is there any reason not to just use the roller at all times, it seems so far like the best most controllable weapon

yes: guns

ZeButler
Oct 2, 2013

Ciaphas posted:

There is no reason not to, but the roller is in kind of an awkward place right now. It's a good weapon class, but is extremely finicky, to the point where if you're even slightly off on your shot, you're not going to get the kill, eat poo poo, and die.

I play Splat Roller primarily, so yeah, rollers are great, if used right.

Edit: Go away, Eight. Nobody asked you.

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Ciaphas posted:

cause you can use the inkbrush and run across the whole map and bonk people on the head instead

https://twitter.com/sebmal/status/998046487748620288

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

i do not have access to such a weapon as the inkbrush yet

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

what does the blue line on my ink refill indicator, er, indicate

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
The amount of ink needed for your grenade or whatever

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

Guy Goodbody posted:

Ink Saver (Sub) .

I wish independent of ink that bombs had a straight up cooldown timer because sometimes I get a team of four people doing this and that just sucks all the fun out of the match I'd rather go to splatoon 1's museum level against 4 e-liters!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nep-Nep posted:

I wish independent of ink that bombs had a straight up cooldown timer because sometimes I get a team of four people doing this and that just sucks all the fun out of the match I'd rather go to splatoon 1's museum level against 4 e-liters!

No! Ink saver sub and curling bombs give me crazy speed and mobility. It's what makes maining a sploosh-o-matic work for me. You can't take that away!

Jizz Festival
Oct 30, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Ciaphas posted:

I'd say enjoy using the roller now while you're up against really bad people who won't even know you're there until you've already run them over. It's a lot of fun while it lasts.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

idk why you extoll the inkbrush ‘cos this is a piece of poo poo!!!!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

actually nah it’s cool but i should probably stop and focus and git gud at a weapon instead of switching so much

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

https://twitter.com/Todd_Spengo/status/998712512311783429?s=19

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

matchmaking's as good as advertised at least

doors
May 5, 2018

Ciaphas posted:

actually nah it’s cool but i should probably stop and focus and git gud at a weapon instead of switching so much

do try to find a weapon that you feel comfortable using, but remember that there are A LOT of weapons to choose from, each with vastly different kits and gameplay styles. take just a bit of time explore them all. the weapons shop has a test feature, but there's no substitute for a few rounds of turf war to really get a feel for each weapon (once you get enough cash to purchase them)

also understand that your "main" will probably switch a few times. i've switched dozens of times since release, currently repping the clash blaster neo :cheers:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Personally I main different guns in different modes. Different maps, even.

Maybe I don't "main" at all? Idk

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

diff guns and buffs for diff modes is the way to go.

aerospray mg with special saver and tenacity for splat zones
mini splatlings or tri-slosher with ink savers and walk speed up for tower control
splooshmatic with curling bombs and swim speed into oblivion for rainmaker
anything for clam blitz, i am still awful at it

turf war is fun to test new weapons in, though. just find something that seems to be fun and gets you points towards the objective

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Bloop posted:

Personally I main different guns in different modes. Different maps, even.

Maybe I don't "main" at all? Idk

there are modes besides turf war?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

Naw. Try every dang weapon in the game if you want.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

There are 4 ranked modes that unlock at level 10. Turf war matchmaking is largely a crapshoot and it's more of an onboarding Mode. The vast majority of my playtime is in ranked.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

You need to reach level 10 to do so.

The reasoning behind this is because Turf Wars is intended to drill one of the basic concepts of the game into your head. Map control. Having good map control makes it much easier to get around the map and do things. Though it can take a while to get to level 10.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

the grind is loving real

(ed) as is my inability to find a single weapon i really like, so far :(

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 04:45 on May 22, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

honestly i can’t tell if i’m having fun or if the lizard brain in my head insists i keep playing because of the numbers getting bigger

but i can sure as poo poo tell you

i ain’t winning

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ciaphas posted:

honestly i can’t tell if i’m having fun or if the lizard brain in my head insists i keep playing because of the numbers getting bigger

i ain’t winning

I'm a scientist and I can say you're having fun.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

also i continue to be slightly mystified by the gyro controls

not sure where i want the sensitivities for gyro and stick or whether to turn the gyro off entirely

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Ciaphas posted:

i ain’t winning

Get gud

It's way funner when u gud

Edit: don't turn off the gyro if you want to get gud

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

also i continue to be slightly mystified by the gyro controls

not sure where i want the sensitivities for gyro and stick or whether to turn the gyro off entirely

Stick with gyro, it becomes second nature before long. Visualize it like a laser pointer, you can even play with one joycon in each hand if it helps.

Go through all of the single-player portion using gyro if you haven't done it already, it's very good as a training course.