Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If there is another way to store CDs that’s not just on a shelf, I’d like to know. You know that picture in the OP? It’s gotten to the point where I have to stack them in nooks and crannies. Where am I going to put New Order’s Republic?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

a mysterious cloak posted:

I'm an old and I still buy CDs too.

Any suggestions for a more compact storage method than just sticking 500 CDs on a shelf? I'm in the process of ripping but loving A I've got a long way to go. And right now they're all either

1. stacked up on the floor after ripping, or
2. in a heavy duty contractor bag in the corner of our study waiting to be ripped.

And no I don't want to toss them all after they're ripped, but the contractor bag is pretty lame.

You can get a CaseLogic CD binder that will hold 300-500 cds and their jewel case art which will cut down on the space for sure. Just keep in mind if you ever want to sell CDs that without the jewel case/art the street value of a disc drops to zero.

If you have no art for a lot of them already you can just throw a bunch on a CD spindle and put that up on a shelf.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
I just picked up for ~$6 apiece:
Insomniac - Green Day
Screaming for Vengeance - Judas Priest
Painkiller - Judas Priest
The Yes Album - Yes

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That seems expensive

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
There's nowhere near me that has a great selection of CDs, so I have to take what I can get.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Here is an old picture of my CD collection before I boxed it. I probably had 100 more albums than this picture shows by the time I took them down.

I use these sleeves and put them in these boxes.

I only get rid of the jewel cases. If they're digipacks or have a nice sleeve with artwork different from the booklet, then I put them in the box. 2+ CD releases go with the album cover/booklet with one disk, and the back page with the second CD. According to iTunes, there are 168 albums in that box pictured above.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Beelerzebub posted:

Listened to it again recently, and yeah. It's not great. Not dogshit, but definitely nowhere near as good as the first. It does have Rock and Roll Dreams Come Through, though, which is a really great song. The rest ranges from alright to dogshit.

That one's good because I'm pretty sure it's the only one that isn't him bellowing the song's title for eight minutes.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I'm an old and I still buy CDs too.

Any suggestions for a more compact storage method than just sticking 500 CDs on a shelf? I'm in the process of ripping but loving A I've got a long way to go. And right now they're all either

1. stacked up on the floor after ripping, or
2. in a heavy duty contractor bag in the corner of our study waiting to be ripped.

And no I don't want to toss them all after they're ripped, but the contractor bag is pretty lame.

I have all my original copy CDs in a file cabinet with the file type CD holders. I chucked all the jewel cases a long time ago because I was moving a lot and had them in folders, just recently upgraded to the file cabinet things and it works great.

[e] these: https://www.amazon.com/Find-Hanging...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Applebees Appetizer fucked around with this message at 02:01 on May 10, 2018

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

All good suggestions, thanks! I have basically all the artwork and booklets, so I'm not sure if I want to really pare that down or not. As I'm ripping I'm keeping an eye out for any unique or rare stuff. Probably nothing, but who knows. Maybe the 2-disc edition of NIN's Broken? I dunno.

I'll take my pristine Wax Trax Black Box to the grave though. :colbert:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I got

Dr. Octagon: Dr.Octagonecologyst
X-Ray Spex: Germ Free Adolescents
Johnny Cash: At Folsom Prison
UGK: Ridin' Dirty
J-Dilla: Ruff Draft
The the: Soul Mining
Bomb the Music Industry!: Vacation
The Roots: Everything Falls Apart
D' Angelo: Voodoo
Belle & Sebastian: If You're Feeling Sinister....
Laura Mvula: The Dreaming Room

I, uh, have a problem.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 24, 2018

Selenite
Feb 17, 2011
Still buy cd's. Why? Because I don't have the room or ready cash for vinyl and I like hardcopy. Since I have 20 yr old discs that still play beautifully I don't feel like I'm missing out.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

IUG posted:

Here is an old picture of my CD collection before I boxed it. I probably had 100 more albums than this picture shows by the time I took them down.

I use these sleeves and put them in these boxes.

I only get rid of the jewel cases. If they're digipacks or have a nice sleeve with artwork different from the booklet, then I put them in the box. 2+ CD releases go with the album cover/booklet with one disk, and the back page with the second CD. According to iTunes, there are 168 albums in that box pictured above.

Was going to go with a few big plastic bins, but after filling one up about 75% and realizing I have a whoooooole lot more to do, I'm switching over to sleeves and boxes. Way more compact, which is what I'm looking for.

Plus, as I randomly research how much CDs are worth... they aren't worth poo poo. Bye, jewel cases (i'm keeping the super cool ones though)!

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Was going to go with a few big plastic bins, but after filling one up about 75% and realizing I have a whoooooole lot more to do, I'm switching over to sleeves and boxes. Way more compact, which is what I'm looking for.

Plus, as I randomly research how much CDs are worth... they aren't worth poo poo. Bye, jewel cases (i'm keeping the super cool ones though)!

Depends on the CDs. Same with vinyl.

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!

$2.99 at ARC Thrift Store the other day, $175 median sale price on Discogs. So, it depends.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

For getting rid of a significant quantity of CDs, is there any reasonable alternative to a site like Decluttr or SecondSpin? I'm making a move that requires fairly significant downsizing, and I'd rather my CDs not just go in the trash, even if I don't get much/any money for them. Some of them look like they're even worth a bit of money according to discogs, but I'm not sure that selling them one at a time is going to be quick enough / worth the effort.

Sudbina
Mar 17, 2009
I don't buy CDs anymore, but I do still borrow them from the library. I only listen to them in the car, since it comes with a 6-disk cd changer.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

The Leck posted:

For getting rid of a significant quantity of CDs, is there any reasonable alternative to a site like Decluttr or SecondSpin? I'm making a move that requires fairly significant downsizing, and I'd rather my CDs not just go in the trash, even if I don't get much/any money for them. Some of them look like they're even worth a bit of money according to discogs, but I'm not sure that selling them one at a time is going to be quick enough / worth the effort.

You could always give them to Goodwill, and let the charity make the profit (or not, since they'll just go in the same bin with the rest of the music). Let someone who know what they're worth get a "steal".

Alternatively, post a picture in the Buy Sell Trade forum, and let us descend like vultures.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

You could also sell the 5 most valuable individually and then bulk sell/donate the rest.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lazlo Nibble posted:

$2.99 at ARC Thrift Store the other day, $175 median sale price on Discogs. So, it depends.

How on earth is that worth $175? Is there some super rare mix that was only ever issued on that CD or something like that?

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

It was Weasleby, by God! At last I had the miserable blighter precisely where I wanted him!
I can only assume it’s Wiggles completists buying it for the Cockroaches track. Other than that and a couple of songs by other bands most people outside Australia have never heard of (The Chantoozies, Models) everything on there is unremarkable, easy-to-find radio pop.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

The Leck posted:

I feel the same way. I need to get rid of my CDs because I still have a ton at my parent's house, and there's some cluttering my current residence. I don't want to make money off of them, but for some reason, because my brain is broken, I want them to go to a "good home".

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Lazlo Nibble posted:

I can only assume it’s Wiggles completists buying it for the Cockroaches track. Other than that and a couple of songs by other bands most people outside Australia have never heard of (The Chantoozies, Models) everything on there is unremarkable, easy-to-find radio pop.

I checked out that Cockroaches track, and in all honesty, it has nothing on the Wiggles later masterpiece.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Twin Cinema posted:

I feel the same way. I need to get rid of my CDs because I still have a ton at my parent's house, and there's some cluttering my current residence. I don't want to make money off of them, but for some reason, because my brain is broken, I want them to go to a "good home".

IUG posted:

Alternatively, post a picture in the Buy Sell Trade forum, and let us descend like vultures.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
You're better of selling individually, of course. Consider Murfie (which I mentioned here before). You send all your CDs to them, and they give you a license to stream the songs from those albums. You can then operate a storefront to sell each CD at the price you want, and they'll revoke your streaming license as they transfer the CD's rights to a buyer.

I think it costs something to send and process each CD, so you'd want to think about whether you're likely to recoup the cost per CD. If not, you're probably better off just selling a box of CDs on Craigslist or through the options you already know.

EDIT: It sounds like getting everything out of your house is a priority, so this may work well for you. You can decide later how much any given CD will get you.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I got a hard copy of The Very Best of Rainbow from Amazon (10 bux), and on CD "Man on the Silver Mountain" sounds WAY better in my car than the MP3 I have does. I swear all the MP3s I have ever downloaded are poo poo quality, the only good MP3s I have are the ones I burned myself.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bought this for less than $300, which I find to be a win - after all, this collection is the only place these mixes can be found.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I got a hard copy of The Very Best of Rainbow from Amazon (10 bux), and on CD "Man on the Silver Mountain" sounds WAY better in my car than the MP3 I have does. I swear all the MP3s I have ever downloaded are poo poo quality, the only good MP3s I have are the ones I burned myself.

I've found the same thing too, which has resulted in me (who previously never bought CDs, prior to graduating and getting full-time employment) to buying CDs all the time, in the last ~7 years. So at this stage I'm 27 and I've got two huge CD books in my car - which by this point is no doubt way more than all my other (non-old) friends combined. :v: (As for storage, I've got some in a rack, but most of my cases are stored in a cardboard box in my spare room)

Now that you all have got me thinking about it, I should probably rip all my CDs and try entering the 21st century by using a (non-iPod) media player, but I don't recall what all the good+free CD ripping apps are; I've used them in the past, but not in over a decade, I'd say. (And well, 99% of the music I listen to is in the car, so not needing to change CDs would be good)

Also, I know this isn't the recommendation thread, but if you like Rainbow's MotSM you might like stuff by Angel (specifically "The Fortune" and "The Tower") and White Lion, perhaps? I recently discovered those bands myself, after looking for songs that are similar to MotSM.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Major Isoor posted:

I've found the same thing too, which has resulted in me (who previously never bought CDs, prior to graduating and getting full-time employment) to buying CDs all the time, in the last ~7 years. So at this stage I'm 27 and I've got two huge CD books in my car - which by this point is no doubt way more than all my other (non-old) friends combined. :v: (As for storage, I've got some in a rack, but most of my cases are stored in a cardboard box in my spare room)

Now that you all have got me thinking about it, I should probably rip all my CDs and try entering the 21st century by using a (non-iPod) media player, but I don't recall what all the good+free CD ripping apps are; I've used them in the past, but not in over a decade, I'd say. (And well, 99% of the music I listen to is in the car, so not needing to change CDs would be good)

For Windows the one that I use is Exact Audio Copy. http://exactaudiocopy.de
It's the one that the torrent sites use to get exact copies of FLAC, but it also does just MP3 in good quality as well. (I think it requires you to download a plugin for that due to copyright reasons, but it is easily done). Good guides on setting it up if you want the perfect rips are online.

For Mac I just use iTunes of course, but there's also XLD. https://sourceforge.net/projects/xld/
It's basically the Mac version of the above in terms of quality (but an entirely different UI).

SecondSpin is going to be the financial end of me. I just got an email today saying that my order of 23 CDs has shipped for $83. They just had a 30% off code that I used to knock off like $25 off. That and I have the latest Coheed and Cambria album on order with Amazon that I think comes out this week.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
on a similar note, i tried burning an mp3 audio cd for my wife's car and the audio wasn't working properly - as in it would only come out of the left channel most of the time, not to mention being at a really low volume overall.

i used windows media player because it seems to be the default now. are there any better cd burning programs in tyool 2018 that work with windows 10? a lot of stuff that comes up on google seems sketchy as hell

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

EAC also writes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazlo Nibble
Jan 9, 2004

Assuming you care about getting bit-perfect rips (and why wouldn’t you; if you’re going to do something, may as well do it right the first time) pick a ripper with CTDB integration to checksum/repair the results.

And FWIW don’t waste time and drive life on “secure” rips until you know that the disc needs one. Reading the right bits off a CD in the right order has been a solved problem since the ‘80s and in my experience nine out of ten times you’ll get an accurate rip in burst mode.

• Locked thread