Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here is my latest video. Thanks for the tips in the last one. I’ve been working hard on the reverse pivot and the other drills you guys gave me and I have noticed some improvement. “feel isn’t real” are my first thoughts when I watch these. I feel like I’m keeping my body super still, but I can see lots of movement. You will also notice that my left heel comes up sometimes when I don’t think about keeping it down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuUk2xwkk3c

Questions:
1) Why am I Pulling my iron shots to the left?
2) How does the reverse pivot look?
3) Do I have a chicken wing? (look at 1:10)
4) What should I be working on now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Looks a lot better!

From what I can see I think your upper body is too dominant. Complete your backswing and keep the upper body in place until your lower body starts rotating. Starting the downswing with your lower body will let your upper body follow and the club should naturally shallow.

Only other gripe would be that the back swing is a bit too long. Practice what feels like a 3/4 back swing. You'll be surprised how much you actually go back even with this mindset. My shortened back swing feels even less than that and on video the club is parallel to the ground. Like you said "Feel isn't real".

You potentially lose power if your lower body has finished rotating and your arms keep going.

Halo14 fucked around with this message at 04:55 on May 18, 2018

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I'm by no means a golf swing expert but just slowing down the first swing of the video I see you doing a couple things I have issues with myself. You finish your shoulder turn and your arms keep going back further, all that does is get your arms stuck against your chest and you have to scramble to get to a decent impact position which either results in a pull hook or a block. I also can't quite tell but watching at 0:10-0:11 at 0.25 speed it looks like you're bowing your wrist from what looked to be a neutral wrist position at the top of your backswing just before the 9'o clock part of your downswing and your clubface looks fairly shut right before impact. I'm sure there's better swing analyzers that post here but those were the two that I saw pretty easily. :shobon:

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Last place in round 1 at Trinity Forest yesterday was David Duval, who must have got an itch doing coverage last weekend and decided to head down to Dallas and put in a +9.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Out results for my work league came out yesterday and some dude put up a 69 as a 14 handicap!

In case you are wondering how to interpret that, we only play nine holes. Ouch.

Sataere
Jul 20, 2005

Step 1: Start fight
Step 2: Attack straw man
Step 3: REPEAT

Do not engage with me

DoctaFun posted:

Out results for my work league came out yesterday and some dude put up a 69 as a 14 handicap!

In case you are wondering how to interpret that, we only play nine holes. Ouch.

How many clubs did he break?

Summit
Mar 6, 2004

David wanted you to have this.
The tip about arms stopping when the body stops is money. Takes time to fix that but arm over run makes everything more complicated.

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Played in our men's league season opening tourney yesterday, only my second round of 2018 and it was under tournament conditions so I didn't score great but I did win a $400 skin, so that was awesome.

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Congrats!

I’ve decided this year is all about skins, screw league standings. No more laying up or hybrids off the tee. Seems like whatever high-handicap team plays well the last two weeks of the season wins anyways since they have a much higher variation in scores than I do.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
A tale of the front versus the back.

Go to starter 5 minutes before tee time. I'm alone. The 3 ball I'm supposed to play with has not yet checked in. We wait. At my tee time he says, "Go ahead, tee off." I'm behind a 3 ball, then 4 consecutive 4 balls with an average age of 70, alternating men and women. I tell him I'll try to join the 3 ball ahead. On second hole, I'm on the tee box (par 3) while they are looking for a ball. They turn and see me...keep looking. Play out hole. I arrive at next tee box, they're walking up fairway. At shortest ball, they all stop, one turns, they all turn, look at me sitting in cart at tee. Turn back, play out hole. Next tee box, I'm sitting in cart next to tee, they're looking for ball in the rough, 100 yards away. Look back. Keep looking, take the full 5 minutes, play out hole. Next hole, I'm on the tips tee box, they're on the shortest tee box, waiting for green to clear on par 4 they need 240 to get on the green. Look back at me. Turn, play out hole. I should have just driven up to the tee box on that last hole and asked to join them, but by then I hated them with a fiery passion. After that hole, you drive by the tee to number 10, and the starter at 1, so he lets me go play the back 9. After 5 holes, I catch up with a 3 ball, also 3 women, average age same as above. But, I don't actually catch them. I'm on the green of a par 3, they have teed off the next par 4, and I've not yet had to wait on them. They turn around in the fairway, drive back to where I'm practicing putting on the green post holing out, and tell me to come ahead, play through. Very gracious, very nice.

Then, birdie 18 with a 20' breaking downhill putt. Typical golf round. Get pissed at humans, meet good humans, end with great stroke, can't way to play again. Too bad only 14 holes played, I was at 3 over when I quit.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004
Apparently The Golf Club has got the PGA licence, looks like they are adding some TPC courses and a career mode to the next game. Hope this means more real courses, players and equipment as well.

At least the PGA is doing something now instead of just letting EA do nothing since Rory's game.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!

Dimebag posted:

Apparently The Golf Club has got the PGA licence, looks like they are adding some TPC courses and a career mode to the next game. Hope this means more real courses, players and equipment as well.

At least the PGA is doing something now instead of just letting EA do nothing since Rory's game.

Hopefully it also means the game won't suck total baboon rear end

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
What is the last golf game that actually used motion-capture for each player's swing? There is no reason to play as Jim Furyk if I can't use his weird rear end swing.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Good riddance to EA. I bet they wanted to add loot crates.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I got back from Maui last week and played both the Wailea Gold + Emerald courses then topped it off with a round at Kapalua Plantation course. It was heaven. A couple weird things happened while I was there too. The first set of rentals I got was a mix and match set but I grabbed them because my mp-53s were in them and I figured the rest of the stuff would be decent enough - R1 driver/3w, ping g20 hybrid, sm4 vokeys, daddy long legs putter. After 4 sliced tee shots in a row on the Gold course I looked at the driver and saw that it had been cut down to 41 inches or so, ended up going with 3w off the tee the rest of the time at wailea and left the driver in the trunk of the car. 41 inches seems way too short to cut a driver down to me but I've also never done it so who knows. Also I know the spider putters are obviously good and have won a shitpile of tournament money but the one I had was the most awful feeling putter I've used in a long time and I dreaded putting everytime I got on the green.

I did the deal at Kapalua where you get a 3 hour lesson, lunch, and an 18 hole round so it was pretty much a full day trip. The lesson was pretty decent, the putting and green reading was probably the most useful part for me that Ive used some of the tops I got back home. If anything it was nice to warm up with a pro watching you. The course itself was incredible although it rained so hard and combining that with 30 mph winds at times made for some interesting play. Also got to play with all new Titleist gear which was cool, the ap3 irons felt ok, new sm7s we're in good shape, but the driver, 3w, and hybrid felt really uncomfortable to use for some reason.

I played with a couple who were in the lesson with me and then another dude. Nobody in our group was super great but everyone seemed to be having fun since you're on vacation at one of the nicest courses in the country, although the course seemed to be getting kind of tilted over the weather and how rainy it was getting. The guy I was riding with and myself are PNW people though so were kind of used to it. That is until the 8th hole par 3 where both the guy and girl hit their tee shots in the massive ravine separating the teebox from the hole, random dude and I get on the green, we drive up to the drop zone and the couple says that they had plans and had to leave early, so they bailed. Other dude and I are just like :confused:, I'm not sure how you spend $360 to only end up playing 7 holes but w/e. The head pro even said so when he stopped by to check on us lol.

All in all, great trip and if you go to Maui the Plantation course is a must go. I'd bring my own clubs next time if anything for my putter and wedges I'm used to hitting. Also my partner holed out from like ~135 yards for eagle on the 12th which was sick as gently caress.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Is there a way to tell what specific shaft you have on your irons if you pulled all the stickers off? I’d like to know what’s on my Mizuno JPX 850s. Manufacturer brand is there, but that’s it. Off the rack, factory standard everything, FWIW.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Lincoln posted:

Is there a way to tell what specific shaft you have on your irons if you pulled all the stickers off? I’d like to know what’s on my Mizuno JPX 850s. Manufacturer brand is there, but that’s it. Off the rack, factory standard everything, FWIW.
Stock shaft is True Temper XP115

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Great, thank you.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I'm going to the Sunday round of the US Open in Shinnecock. I'm going to put some money on someone to make it more interesting and give myself someone to root for. Who should I bet on?

Suprfli6
Jul 9, 2008

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

Shot a 74 today at one of the nicest courses in the area, made a few great putts and only really hit two bad shots the entire round. Playing on real turf when most of my rounds have been muddy this spring was such a nice change.

RCarr posted:

I'm going to the Sunday round of the US Open in Shinnecock. I'm going to put some money on someone to make it more interesting and give myself someone to root for. Who should I bet on?

A buddy of mine is going too, I’m jealous.

Obvious answer is Phil.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

RCarr posted:

Get Tiger around +1400, Fleetwood around +4000, and Hoffman for a long shot at +8000 imo.

I ended up buying a Callaway rouge 3w and holy poo poo massive upgrade from my nike covert 3w. It's LONG and low spinning for me. Also thanks for the ball recs everyone, I switched to Q-star tours. Really liked the chromesofts too.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
ChromeSoft X for life.

Want a Rogue driver but willing to wait another 6 months because I'm not paying full price lol.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah I wasn’t planning on dropping $300 for a 3W but I tried I bunch of other clubs and the guy brought the rogue to the simulator and just said “here hit this, it’ll sell itself.” I was getting a lot better numbers with it compared to everything else. I had no choice :homebrew:

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Here is a video I took of someone that plays in my league.

https://youtu.be/nzAClaeM1-g

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

I had a tee time at 9:30 this morning at my favorite public course. We made the turn at nearly 1 PM. I got a rain check for 9 holes and left because me and my playing partners where miserable standing on the tee boxes forever. What I’m saying is this video makes me irrationally angry.

Wednesday’s are when we have a group of about 20 guys in our ‘big’ money game too. I had 4 skins on the front 9 and won the net lowest score last two weeks in this group too. No greenies sadly though. Other guy in my group had a couple skins on the front too. We said gently caress it and left anyway because it was so slow. Watching that video my only thought was I hope an alligator eats him.

Slow play can ruin an otherwise beautiful day on the course.

e: full disclosure- that description of our Wednesday group makes me sounds like I know what I’m doing. All the guys except me and my buddy are retired old people that play from the senior tees. I’m not actually that good lol

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 22:03 on May 23, 2018

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
I don't think I've ever had a round that slow. The weekends tend to get slower around here but I just assume I'm going to be there for 5 hours if I tee off after 9 am. Normally my playing partners and I try to get a 6:30 time if it's a weekend and we're usually done in less than 4 hours with the grand majority of our group being comprised of total hacks.

I don't really want to play a 5 hour round but I also like being outside and enjoying the course so I also don't really want a 3 hour round either. 4 hours seems to be the ideal time for me.

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah. I'm with you. The first 7 holes I knew we were going slow but it was a beautiful day on one of my favorite tracks and I was grouped with three of my buddies so I was enjoying myself despite the pace of play. It just got to be too much though. We made the turn, got some food in the club house and went to 10 to still have to wait on the tee box. The guy in the clubhouse was super cool about giving us a raincheck for 9 holes though.

We travel around to different courses on Wednesdays and always have tee times between 8-9AM. We've never had a problem before since it's a weekday. I'd expect slow pace of play when we go on our golf trip to myrtle beach but we were in NE Ohio... Oh well, guess that's just how it goes sometimes.

dangling pointer fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 23, 2018

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Hmm. OK. Disappointed with my fitting. I posted about this earlier, the “Babby’s first clubs” post.

I took both sets of clubs to a lesson yesterday and he had me hit both old and new. Long story short: I hit OVERWHELMINGLY better with my old JPX 850s than with the new Hot Launch 3s. The difference was dramatic when I was hitting the iron-woods and hybrids from the new set. EVERYTHING went right when swinging anything from the new set that had a graphite shaft. I mean literally everything. Instructor said I had a slow swing speed but a fast tempo, and that a lightweight club/shaft was probably not a good option for me. (I have a bad left shoulder that limits my backswing) 7 through 3 of the Fisher Price set I bought are graphite, and that’s what I was hitting like poo poo.

Seriously, I was hitting my old clubs like I’d never hit them before. Night & day. Long, straight, felt great, sounded great. Babby’s First Clubs, 100% garbage. Instructor asked if I had hit the long clubs during my fitting. Some, I said, but mostly the steel-shaft 8I. Did he measure your lie angle? No. Measure your body? No. He says you need a heavier club/shaft. Graphite is terrible for you.

Not sure what to do now. I hit the driving range this morning, and swung well with my old clubs. Im playing 18 Friday morning, and there’s no way im swinging these these new clubs.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

2nd Swing opened up a retail store near me, and wow that place is dangerous to wallets. Some new stock, but a gigantic used selection, and 10 hitting bays with trackers. I think I spent well over an hour there.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

daslog posted:

Here is a video I took of someone that plays in my league.

https://youtu.be/nzAClaeM1-g

Oh christ, the 2 practice swings hahaha

Disappointed he didn't fall in :(

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

Lincoln posted:

Hmm. OK. Disappointed with my fitting. I posted about this earlier, the “Babby’s first clubs” post.

I took both sets of clubs to a lesson yesterday and he had me hit both old and new. Long story short: I hit OVERWHELMINGLY better with my old JPX 850s than with the new Hot Launch 3s. The difference was dramatic when I was hitting the iron-woods and hybrids from the new set. EVERYTHING went right when swinging anything from the new set that had a graphite shaft. I mean literally everything. Instructor said I had a slow swing speed but a fast tempo, and that a lightweight club/shaft was probably not a good option for me. (I have a bad left shoulder that limits my backswing) 7 through 3 of the Fisher Price set I bought are graphite, and that’s what I was hitting like poo poo.

Seriously, I was hitting my old clubs like I’d never hit them before. Night & day. Long, straight, felt great, sounded great. Babby’s First Clubs, 100% garbage. Instructor asked if I had hit the long clubs during my fitting. Some, I said, but mostly the steel-shaft 8I. Did he measure your lie angle? No. Measure your body? No. He says you need a heavier club/shaft. Graphite is terrible for you.

Not sure what to do now. I hit the driving range this morning, and swung well with my old clubs. Im playing 18 Friday morning, and there’s no way im swinging these these new clubs.

So... you dont hit your current clubs very well, at least not consistently, even though they are max game improvement irons. You tested a different set of max game improvement clubs that you hit well in testing, but you didnt actually hit the hybrids in the set, but only the 8i and above, which is really just a normal cavity back, so you didnt actually test the friendlier clubs in the new set? Yeah, thats a bad fitting, but some of that has to be on you. The point of the hot launch is the forgiving hybrids that you didnt actually test.

Dimebag
Jul 12, 2004

torgeaux posted:

So... you dont hit your current clubs very well, at least not consistently, even though they are max game improvement irons. You tested a different set of max game improvement clubs that you hit well in testing, but you didnt actually hit the hybrids in the set, but only the 8i and above, which is really just a normal cavity back, so you didnt actually test the friendlier clubs in the new set? Yeah, thats a bad fitting, but some of that has to be on you. The point of the hot launch is the forgiving hybrids that you didnt actually test.

But they say hot launch, surely there is no reason to test that if the manufacturer claims they are hot launch?

I mean yeah you don't need to test every club in the set but you need to at least be trying 4, 6, 8, W regardless if they are irons or hybrids at whatever point.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
Massive Tiger Woods size crowds following Rory at Wentworth for the BMW. He's putting on a show.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Any Neo Turf Masters fans here?

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Shxg-7hvxo

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Whoever runs the European Tour's media is a loving genius.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
The video's real good

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Halo14 posted:

Massive Tiger Woods size crowds following Rory at Wentworth for the BMW. He's putting on a show.

He’s in full meltdown mode right now and just hit a very attractive woman in the hand with a punch out and it was loud enough that the mics picked it up and it sounded like he hit a tree.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001

Shrapnig posted:

He’s in full meltdown mode right now and just hit a very attractive woman in the hand with a punch out and it was loud enough that the mics picked it up and it sounded like he hit a tree.

Ouch, didn't see the third round but I heard both Rory and his playing partner both hit the same course Marshall on the same hole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kameh
Apr 27, 2004

Resident Sergio Apologist
CHAMPION
Shot +2 74.

16 of 18 GIR.

2 birdies against 4 bogeys.

37 putts.

All 4 bogeys and a par on a par 5 were 3 putts.

Somebody hold me.