Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
Also a large chunk of the MCRN defects and fucks off through the ring gates. So between UNN not wanting to leave the Earth-Luna sphere and Mars losing most of its Navy and people to the Rings: welp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kerwyn
Aug 21, 2007
The UNN also lost a ton of ships in the Battle of Io IIRC

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

kerwyn posted:

The UNN also lost a ton of ships in the Battle of Io IIRC

And Ganymede before that. There's a comment in there somewhere where they talk about what percentage of the fleet has been destroyed, and it's big.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
The ring looks pretty neat!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Haven't seen the episode yet. The ring station is up? Hope they show the first run into the slow zone. With that I mean the inside view.

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

Next episode is titled "delta-v" so it's likely. The teaser showed Belter related stuff though, including a new character - maybe the TV version of Bull?

I'm pretty sure Diogo is gonna go splat this next episode.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ATP_Power posted:

Next episode is titled "delta-v" so it's likely. The teaser showed Belter related stuff though, including a new character - maybe the TV version of Bull?

I'm pretty sure Diogo is gonna go splat this next episode.

His rear end get crushed to dust! :smug:

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

New guy and Diogo's kinda silly looking new ink.

I do like the new "legitmate" OPA logo on the vac suits.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Diogo seems exactly like the sort of person to go for face tats.

I liked the changes the show made to the AG. Makes the whole thing seem less like Holden personally saving the solar system and it gave Cotyar a good sendoff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The pacing of the episode felt so much faster than the earlier part of the season, or the book for that matter.

I suppose that’s how we get to “Dandelion Sky” in four episodes.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 13:25 on May 17, 2018

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Platystemon posted:

The pacing of the episode felt so much faster than the rest of the earlier part of the season, or the book for that matter.

I suppose that’s how we get to “Dandelion Sky” in four episodes.

I wonder if they had an inkling.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
Oh wow, if we're getting all the way to Holden tripping out on the planet and all the gates open then they're really gonna be burning rubber like the show never has before, considering it was around 14-15 episodes or so to get through book 1 and about the same for book 2. I suppose 3's much easier to condense down than the others since it's mostly taking place in the same area. I'm also curious how they're going to handle the time jump, I'm fine with just a simple "X year(s) later" text but I think they won't even put up anything and just keep stuff flowin. Maybe episode 10 of the season is just them getting into the gate, but then again with how perfect it is for a finale I don't know why on earth you wouldn't end the season there by any means necessary.

If they have to end it before adapting all the material then that moment and the end of book 3 is absolutely the place to do it, but I'd so much rather see the story continue. If they do get to that then at least I'll be slightly consoled by them landing in a real fun place for the finale.

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:42 on May 17, 2018

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I dislike that the pasteurisation of the Protomolecule was reframed from “Fred Johnson takes the initiative and reminds everyone he is cool & good” to “Nagata redeems herself”.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is it ever made clear in the books just how devastated Earth's biosphere is before the rocks fall? Were there still anything resembling wildlife preserves, for instance, or had the fauna mostly died off by then

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

zeal posted:

Is it ever made clear in the books just how devastated Earth's biosphere is before the rocks fall? Were there still anything resembling wildlife preserves, for instance, or had the fauna mostly died off by then

I don't remember a ton of detail on that point. I seem to recall the Holden family's big game-the-system farm, at 22 acres, being compared to the size of a national park. Kind of weird, considering those infographics (in the other thread, I think) showing how (relatively) little land you'd need to cram people into megacities of varying densities, but there it is.

Edit: typo

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 15:24 on May 21, 2018

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Holden multi-family agreement is a strange but also funny features of the books.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I know people who are basically living that arrangement already, minus the actual genetic cocktail offspring, and I could see myself doing it too. The whole series pivots on how families are made and chosen so it seems in keeping with the theme to me.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

From the non-spoiler thread;

Rah! posted:

yeah that thing was crazy. maybe a weapon or a gate to somewhere far away :tinfoil:

What a loving prick.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
loving goons

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Probably "speculation" but to be fair the opening credits have a shot of the behemoth with the location listed as the ring gates.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Toast Museum posted:

I don't remember a ton of detail on that point. I seem to recall the Holden family's big game-the-system farm, at 22 acres, being compared to the size of a national park. Kind of weird, considering those infographics (in the other thread, I think) showing how (relatively) little land you'd need to cram people into megacities of varying densities, but there it is.

Franck and Abraham have the same understanding of geography as G. R. R. M..

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

PriorMarcus posted:

What a loving prick.

He's claiming it was just an extremely accurate guess, so

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Polaron posted:

He's claiming it was just an extremely accurate guess, so

Convincingness level: zero

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Convincingness level: presidential

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The episode teaser doesn't exactly help, with what the tentacles forming a ring.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

PriorMarcus posted:

What a loving prick.

Nothing in their post history suggests that they've read any of the books so maybe chill the gently caress out? Getting a mod to edit their post ended up actually spoiling things for a few people.

For real, why are you people so loving neurotic about spoilers? This is beyond ridiculous.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
loving show spoiling the show by showing the show

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

zeal posted:

I think most people live in urban sprawls with most of the rest of the land being held by the wealthy or the government. When Amos is traipsing about the apocalypse, he mostly encounters the security forces of the super elite that have fled the planet.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

The episode teaser doesn't exactly help, with what the tentacles forming a ring.
You know, people in the other thread were going on about how spoilery the preview was... I could barely parse that it was forming a ring and I knew exactly what it was supposed to do. If folks had just been calm and not posted anything about how spoilery it was show watchers could have just watched it and not understood what they were seeing without realizing they should be guessing implications from the weird alien things going on on the screen.

Edit: I'm personally super neurotic about spoilers, so I'm not questioning anyone's concern, but it's an easy thing to overdo.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm not sure if that guy was a book reader or not, but the goons who were making "predictions" in the GoT thread were not worth commenting on because it was super, super pathetic.

Oscar aint no Slouch
Apr 29, 2014

Eiba posted:

You know, people in the other thread were going on about how spoilery the preview was... I could barely parse that it was forming a ring and I knew exactly what it was supposed to do. If folks had just been calm and not posted anything about how spoilery it was show watchers could have just watched it and not understood what they were seeing without realizing they should be guessing implications from the weird alien things going on on the screen.

Edit: I'm personally super neurotic about spoilers, so I'm not questioning anyone's concern, but it's an easy thing to overdo.

The spoiler in the preview wasn't its contents but that there were credits rolling right there and it mentions a certain investigator

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I didn't even notice that. I'm not sure what to make of it, since the same credits will be rolling in the episode itself anyway, before that person shows up. On the other hand, I guess if you're not getting it rubbed in the face beforehand, you might not notice it showing on screen and still be surprised.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Joe Mantis posted:

The spoiler in the preview wasn't its contents but that there were credits rolling right there and it mentions a certain investigator
Ah. Well that makes more sense as a major spoiler, but similarly I'm sure most people wouldn't notice it if it wasn't pointed out that there was something to avoid. I certainly had no idea what people were talking about. It never occurred to me to read the credits.

And honestly, since it's got the credits on there, that's probably just the start of the episode so we're hosed in terms of how that spoiler's going to be presented. One would have to not watch the actual episode to avoid it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's kinda refreshing that they don't exist and I don't know if there's an in-universe reason for it but I am surprised there's no chemical lasers. I think they got cancelled down here because while they had their benefits that didn't offset their downsides or perform better than other point defense systems but it's some indeterminate centuries into the future and they could easily handwave yet another scientific breakthrough.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Spoilers are a fake problem and science backs this up.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
If people want to avoid spoilers they probably shouldn't be looking up every preview and interview they can find.

bloom fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 23, 2018

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

Milo and POTUS posted:

It's kinda refreshing that they don't exist and I don't know if there's an in-universe reason for it but I am surprised there's no chemical lasers. I think they got cancelled down here because while they had their benefits that didn't offset their downsides or perform better than other point defense systems but it's some indeterminate centuries into the future and they could easily handwave yet another scientific breakthrough.

IIRC it's never mentioned, kinda like how the intelligence of the computer systems isn't explored or addressed directly (they've got a computer doctor, and most of the ship's systems can run on auto, but autonomous drones or ships aren't a thing?)

I think it's just a function of the aesthetic vision they had for the setting not including things like A/VIs and lasers even though from a 'hard' technical perspective both would be possible in the setting.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Eiba posted:

Yeah it was the SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY, which is probably going to be in the last 30 seconds of the ep as a HOLY poo poo moment.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah it was the SPECIAL APPEARANCE BY, which is probably going to be in the last 30 seconds of the ep as a HOLY poo poo moment.

Some people may just think he's there for a flashback? :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Episode summaries are out through 10:

quote:

Delta-V
SEASON 3, EPISODE 7AIRING MAY 23, 2018 TV-14 NEW STEREO • CC
All eyes turn to the edge of the solar system as a mysterious new presence emerges; Naomi recommits to her roots; Drummer butts heads with a seasoned new commander aboard the Behemoth; a young Belter makes a name for himself.

It Reaches Out
SEASON 3, EPISODE 8 AIRING MAY 30, 2018 TV-14 NEW CC
An old friend taunts Holden with the answers he seeks; Naomi struggles to fit in; a mysterious low-level tech aboard the Thomas Prince enacts a terrifying plan.

Intransigence
SEASON 3, EPISODE 9 AIRING JUN 06, 2018
The Rocinante seeks a new game plan as they attempt to avoid capture; Melba's true motives are revealed; Naomi is torn between identity and ideal; Anna seeks a way to stay aboard the Thomas Prince.

Dandelion Sky
SEASON 3, EPISODE 10AIRING JUN 13, 2018
Holden sees past, present, and future; a ghost from Melba's past threatens her mission; Bobbie struggles to trust an old friend as she leads a group into uncharted territory.
Excited as hell about the Abaddon's Gate stuff, it looks like they're not wasting any time with that (and will probably finish it by the end of the season). Looks like Bobbie will be with the Martian Marines in the Ring Station confrontation. Not sure what's happening with Naomi, but they might be moving the beginning of the Marco plot up.

The final three episodes are "Objects in Motion" (probably the aftermath of the Slow Zone, uh, slowing), "Congregation" (everybody heads to the Behemoth), and "Abaddon's Gate" (the rest of AG).

• Locked thread