Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Tevery Best posted:

You mean GOG.

If you can get something on GOG, there is absolutely no reason to get it on Steam unless the game has some sort of meaningful Steam integration, and fat chance of that with grog games.

because of regional pricing it's actually a lot cheaper for me to get things on Steam than anywhere else, though I would agree all other things being equal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

Men of War also has a million mods and missions on the workshop so, lots of replayability.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

Men of War also has a million mods and missions on the workshop so, lots of replayability.

And the dynamic campaign generator that is pretty tits.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I think Battlefront holds the crown when it comes to customer relations. That one battlefront dude going ham on his customers their balking over yet another $10 patch was classic.

I actually give Battlefront a bit of a pass because they're self-publishers who've just made the decision that they're happy where they are and with the customers they have and think that if you are outraged by having pay for a year's worth of work on their game engine (and it is an upgrade, there aren't any outright bugs in their releases that don't get fixed) then you can should just choose not to buy it rather than giving them grief.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Get Theatre of War 1 or 2 then.

1 has a pretty sweet mod that adds a lot of ancillary stuff (but isnt altogether necessary) and 2 just has a better engine and different locales. 3 was poo poo, don't buy it.

I bought these thinking they were a poor man's Combat Mission and thought they're total garbage.

What am I missing here?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

I think Battlefront holds the crown when it comes to customer relations. That one battlefront dude going ham on his customers their balking over yet another $10 patch was classic.
Also a great company in terms of store usability when they out of nowhere changed their max username (formerly email address) system to be 18 characters long, meaning you get a butchered half an email address if yours was longer than that.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I bought these thinking they were a poor man's Combat Mission and thought they're total garbage.

What am I missing here?

:shrug: Probably something to do with personal preference. I think the combat is neat, if frustrating when it forces you to replay a mission because of a (un)lucky hit, and the scenarios can be varied, in terrain, units, and objectives. You can control all your units individually, but still keep to larger formations with control groups and, albeit limited, formations and stances. Its rather obtuse in how it handles a foot soldier dropping or picking up weapons, grenades, ammo, etc, but its still some depth that can reward some micromanagement of your troops, but doesn't penalize you too much if you forget about it.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Gewehr 43 posted:

And the dynamic campaign generator that is pretty tits.

I love how much of a grind some missions can be. It reminds me of playing with army men as a kid. By the end everything is littered with bodies and wrecks, and the silence after an hour of fighting feels so cathartic and earned.

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

skooma512 posted:

I love how much of a grind some missions can be. It reminds me of playing with army men as a kid. By the end everything is littered with bodies and wrecks, and the silence after an hour of fighting feels so cathartic and earned.

Agreed. The utter chaos when the enemy spawns with 3x the number of units you have is fan-fuckin-tastic. About the only beef I can level at the DCG is how the AI just clumps around objectives until it sights an enemy. I mean, I get it. It'd be impossible to script just about any other behavior in a dynamic and plausible way, but I can see it turning some people off a bit.

Orv
May 4, 2011
This generator is for MoW:AS 2?

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Is there a good guide to ToAW

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It had even more not so long ago.

Weird weekly updates that seem to do nothing but break mods made about half of the modding community give up.

Anyone who likes Men of War should keep an eye on Gates of hell. https://store.steampowered.com/app/400750/Gates_of_Hell/. It's by one of the better mod teams for men of war that seem to have been given permission to use the engine to make their own game. Unfortunately development seems glacial.

Regarde Aduck fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 17, 2018

Chuck_D
Aug 25, 2003

Orv posted:

This generator is for MoW:AS 2?

Quick googling from a heavily-filtered work connection indicates there is a DCG for Assault Squad 2.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also play Men of War Vietnam at some point to see how deeply someone can gently caress up a game series through pretentious incompetence

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

corn in the bible posted:

Also play Men of War Vietnam at some point to see how deeply someone can gently caress up a game series through pretentious incompetence

I didn't want to mention this, but yeah. Holy gently caress was Vietnam bad.

(Call to Arms however I find very good.)

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Also there's Condemned Heroes which is a series of rectangle maps with no cover and 1000 enemies. Good times!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dandywalken posted:

(Call to Arms however I find very good.)

Call to Arms seems good, but from the four campaign missions I played yesterday it seems like the vanilla campaign is basically a "Hey, hey did you know we made a lovely full on shooter mode?" (as opposed to the very simple control mode from previous games) showpiece. Should probably just grab some mod campaigns or the generator.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

The US campaign is meh, but GRM seems better. Definitely play on hardest difficulty and hardcore mode, or else things get kinda bullet spongey.

Also coop with if a friend if possible. I've a buddy who sucks at normal RTS gameplay but has a great time micromanaging around a single tank etc.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Galactic Civilizations II is currently free to download on Humble Bundle.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
A couple of months ago for shits and giggles I started a new Titan HD account to see how I'd do over 100 games. No loving around or experimenting -- I was going to try my level best at winning each and every one.

I managed to cracked the Top 40 with a 33% winning percentage. Not too shabby considering they were mostly 4- and 6-player matches.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
I just want the mods to catch up. I want to play these Delta Force Black Hawk Down remake missions that are bugged at the moment.

I don’t know why people are making remakes from a bad game like DFBHD, nostalgia is a hell
of a thing i guess. Someone did the same thing for Arma 3... it’s probably the same guy now that I think of it.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
That feeling when you hit the wrong key and WitP does something weird and mostly useless you've never seen before.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

uPen posted:

That feeling when you hit the wrong key and WitP does something weird and mostly useless you've never seen before.

that's the road network "map mode". It shows you which hexes/hex-sides are considered to have roads/railroads.

RestRoomLiterature-
Jun 3, 2008

staying regular
graviteam question, I'm in a battle and running into a problem with my units moving locations without orders. I understand the basics, however this problems is while on the defense. I've places my units where I want and as soon as I unpause they relocate, sometimes out of cover into worse potions, likewise field guns and mortars relocate throwing out all the work I spent positioning them during the initial phase. I know it's something I'm missing in the "logic" of how they default but can't seem to figure out what. I have not received fire and there is no panic.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

RestRoomLiterature- posted:

graviteam question, I'm in a battle and running into a problem with my units moving locations without orders. I understand the basics, however this problems is while on the defense. I've places my units where I want and as soon as I unpause they relocate, sometimes out of cover into worse potions, likewise field guns and mortars relocate throwing out all the work I spent positioning them during the initial phase. I know it's something I'm missing in the "logic" of how they default but can't seem to figure out what. I have not received fire and there is no panic.

Turn off AI control.

If they are wire layers then let them do their thing

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Been playing the lastest Graviteam DLC Black Snow and I'm having a hell of a time getting my mortars to actually do anything. I've got spotters place around my defensive line and finally got them to spot and call in a strike but it seemed to only work once. So either my mortars ran out of rounds or they just refuse to recieve new orders. The mortar target order I put down gets to %100 but they still wont fire.

Also I've learned to never move units after initially positioning them in Black Snow because for some reason the Germans have decided to lay down land mines all around their own front lines and if you try and reposition a unit it will blow itself up pretty quickly. Would be nice if I had known that ahead of time but it's a Graviteam game.

Alikchi
Aug 18, 2010

Thumbs up I agree

I want to play War Plan Orange but it sucks that it runs on the circa-2005 barely-patched WitP engine so I'm going to see if I can't extract all the data and turn it into an WitP AE scenario. Wish me luck!

I'll probably give up and just ask one of yall to PBEM a smaller scenario with me but that's okay.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I've never understood why they didn't do that themselves.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Has anyone played Brother Against Brother?

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Alikchi posted:

I want to play War Plan Orange but it sucks that it runs on the circa-2005 barely-patched WitP engine so I'm going to see if I can't extract all the data and turn it into an WitP AE scenario. Wish me luck!

I'll probably give up and just ask one of yall to PBEM a smaller scenario with me but that's okay.

Bless you, I've managed to play a few games of War Plan Orange, but I miss the interface improvements to much.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

ZombieLenin posted:

Has anyone played Brother Against Brother?

I got it with one of my anniversary coupons a couple of years ago, but it bugged out and would not let me play 1st Manassas which was the reason I bought it.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

Alikchi posted:

I played a single PBEM of this once, and it hurts. Wish there was a version using the AE addition.

I believe there was a moddig attempt of WiTPAE to War Plan Orange until the single War Plan Orange developer through a fit.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

hes probably long since dead now though

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I'd be up for a goon effort to do this, I have moderate experience with the witp editor. We could always just keep it an sa thing and it's not like he would notice if we didn't publish it on the matrix forums.

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.
So in Graviteam, you are really making friendly suggestions rather than submitting micro orders, huh? I feel like I don't have a huge impact on battle after initial placement and don't understand half of the mechanics, but boy is it fun watching the pixeltruppen run around and do things.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it's almost more of a battle simulator than strategy game. Your initial placement especially on defense is key and can make or break a battle.

Assaulting is more complicated and requires a more hands on approach. In general infantry can be left to their own devices and tanks/artillery/AT guns can be managed to a degree.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Tank Warfare Tunisia is on sale for 80% off, speaking of which.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I tried Tunisia but was pretty instantly turned away. The campaign quickly throws you up against a horde of Tiger tanks with just your Shermans to engage them. All my Shermans where wiped out and I failed to inflict any damage on the Tigers even at point blank on their rear.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Popete posted:

I tried Tunisia but was pretty instantly turned away. The campaign quickly throws you up against a horde of Tiger tanks with just your Shermans to engage them. All my Shermans where wiped out and I failed to inflict any damage on the Tigers even at point blank on their rear.

the sidi campaign is not meant to be played as allies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Phi230 posted:

the sidi campaign is not meant to be played as allies

I will now google an insane person beating it as allies.