Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Snooze Cruise posted:

e: like I just can't imagine anyone watching west world and thinking its somehow better than bioshock infinite, they are both ponderous self wankery and same for the majority of prestige dramas
I don't even like Westworld very much, I think its kind of tired in a lot of ways, but it doesn't constantly undercut itself the way that BioShock Infinite does for no real payoff with its usage of parallel universes and so forth.

Westworld is pretty consistent in what its exploring in a way that Infinite just isn't. That's a pretty huge difference in quality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Today capcom is putting one time use redemption codes in their physical switch megaman that must be used to access much of the collection.

They are on a roll lately

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Westworld also just has better writing than Infinite did. And I don't hate Infinite, it was just a lot of wasted potential and obviously hosed up in development.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

just the episode where all the westworld characters go to shogunworld alone is better than any of the bioshock stories

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
BS:I’s best part was the creepy loving intro with “Old Time Religion” on the stereo.

Like, poo poo, say what you will about the rest, that part was atmospheric as all hell.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

homeless snail posted:

just the episode where all the westworld characters go to shogunworld alone is better than any of the bioshock stories
That's not even one of my favorite episodes, but even the way that episode uses the ShogunWorld characters running on just slightly recontextualized WestWorld plotlines is a cute nod to how historically western films and samurai films have been constantly interlinked, from John Ford influencing Kurosawa, to Sergio Leone ripping off Kurosawa's Yojimbo as A Fistful of Dollars and remaking Clint Eastwood's image, to Eastwood's own Unforgiven being eventually remade as a samurai film.

Infinite could have probably found a similar way to tie in parallel universes to, I dunno, how racist hate groups like those that started Columbia use revisionist bullshit to "change" history to fit their agendas (Like the "lost cause" myth for the Confederacy in the Civil War) but it just doesn't quite make that kind of connection, at least that I can see.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:05 on May 22, 2018

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I think in the JRPGs I’ve played, gameplay and story are kept in separate rooms and that’s not good. Also they’re too long

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Motto posted:

Tales fans have liked some of their games made past 2005

I like nearly every Fire Emblem

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I just found out that there exists a DOAX browser gacha, and the roll animation (for bikinis) is a loving shower scene lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61DKqZS4xqo&t=417s

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

:laffo: it gets more explicit based on the rarity

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Real hurthling! posted:

Today capcom is putting one time use redemption codes in their physical switch megaman that must be used to access much of the collection.

They are on a roll lately

I thought companies stopped giving a poo poo about used game sales after almost everyone switched to digital purchases

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Motto posted:

It’s genius

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Internet Kraken posted:

I thought companies stopped giving a poo poo about used game sales after almost everyone switched to digital purchases

capcom is a cheap-rear end company

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Dewgy posted:

BS:I’s best part was the creepy loving intro with “Old Time Religion” on the stereo.

Like, poo poo, say what you will about the rest, that part was atmospheric as all hell.

The entire intro from when you first get in Columbia up until when the shooting begins is amazing

It's all downhill after that.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Motto posted:

that owns

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Though on the note of MOBAs, while the games themselves are obviously really popular, they don't seem to have a huge cultural impact compared to a lot of similarly popular stuff, at least to me? In terms of like, their various components becoming widely known and recognizable icons and concepts beyond their fanbase. There are tons of games I don't care about personally but still recognize the characters and know a decent bit about just through osmosis, but MOBA anything is just a blank.

idk the obvious answer is that I don't roll in the spheres that would talk about them but I could name most of the Overwatch characters and know a fair bit about other trending games in passing despite not caring at all about them or games like em

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

https://twitter.com/Kirby_JP/status/998760585742336000

breaking news

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Motto posted:

Though on the note of MOBAs, while the games themselves are obviously really popular, they don't seem to have a huge cultural impact compared to a lot of similarly popular stuff, at least to me? In terms of like, their various components becoming widely known and recognizable icons and concepts beyond their fanbase. There are tons of games I don't care about personally but still recognize the characters and know a decent bit about just through osmosis, but MOBA anything is just a blank.

idk the obvious answer is that I don't roll in the spheres that would talk about them but I could name most of the Overwatch characters and know a fair bit about other trending games in passing despite not caring at all about them or games like em

The two big MOBAs are Dota and LoL and they have over 100 characters each. Even smaller MOBAs still have dozens of characters. The result is that people don't really obsess over the characters themselves as much to the degree that you would see in Overwatch because there are so many of them. Also I imagine in most MOBAs the characterization is super light and generic.

Also all of Overwatch's character are designed primarily to have as much broad appeal as possible in various demographics so no poo poo you've heard about them.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Most of the DotA characters were vague to blatant ripoffs of other IP and LoL characters were vague to blatant ripoffs of DotA

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Motto posted:

Jynx is pretty popular but I honestly don't even know which MOBA she's from and I'll not take 5 seconds to google it

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Samuringa posted:

Jynx is pretty popular but I honestly don't even know which MOBA she's from and I'll not take 5 seconds to google it
She's from League.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

it will always make me lol that the most famous dota character ever is just lina inverse

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I actually liked a lot of the characters in Dota 2. Valve did a really good job with the voice acting and writing so every character felt pretty distinct. There was also a lot of character interaction in the actual game with voice lines that were fun. Honestly it was one of my favorite parts of the game and one of the reasons I kept playing it, versus Overwatch where I hate basically all of the characters because they are boring as hell. Dota 2 has huge variety in terms of of character design.

Though it has a similar problem to Overwatch where a bunch of the female heroes had roughly the same body type, though its a lot better than LoL in that regard (sexy spider woman vs. horrible giant spider mom).

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

everyone who played soulcalibur 2 in 2003

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Dota 2 has character design variety by virtue of the original using basically every unit available in the map creator for heroes.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

chumbler posted:

Dota 2 has character design variety by virtue of the original using basically every unit available in the map creator for heroes.

Which is partly why so many of the female heroes look the same due to Blizzard's original designs. However Valve could of changed that if they wanted to, and to their credit they did start getting more bold with diverging from the original designs down the line.

They took all those basic units and made characters out of all of them. They even managed to give a ball of magic light that communicates entirely through beeping a degree of personality.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

this windows update is sick, comes with bubble witch saga 3 preinstalled

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Do I want to play Elder Scrolls Online?

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The Colonel posted:

everyone who played soulcalibur 2 in 2003

I’m feeling personally attacked right now

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I finished Virginia! It was bad.

The devs really wanted to make a movie and not a game, and it's really, really obvious in how it presents itself and the lack of agency you're provided. In addition, the ending starting with you dropping acid and then cycling through about four or five different endings and scenarios before rolling credits. I checked out what he said in an interview and it was a lot of "Burroughs was vague but had some interpretations he liked" which is film 101 for "i have no idea what i'm doing or how to end this so i'm just going to be vague." I liked the artstyle, at least. 2/10?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Do3D6HX02rE

:dance:

edit: I remember people saying not great things about Squeak Squad but I remember loving it

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

squeak squad was fun but it was extremely easy even for a kirby game

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
squeak squad was a decent kirby game with a good song

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011
Idk about squeak squad, but the biggest difficulty for me in Kirby games is my own hubris. So being easier sounds harder to me.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

“Squeak squad” is hard to say!

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

squawk squid

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piCN9BnAf_Y

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

I'm here to say that Brawl is still my favorite Smash game.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

brawl is the best, but only because of all the dumbass mods you can easily add to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Internet Kraken posted:

A lot of games these days aren't actually fun but rather a grind designed to trick your brain into releasing those satisfaction chemicals by watching your numbers go higher. You feel a sense of accomplishment from performing the same mindless stuff over and over until you realize how none of it actually matters and then the illusion is shattered.

Unrelated: My hand is starting to hurt when I try to draw and its making me upset :(

Nothing in life matters

• Locked thread