Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FakePoet
Feb 6, 2006

Woo. Pig. Sooie.

Hot Rope Guy

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is it weird to not be enthralled by Bagley potentially dropping to us? I think I’d rather have Triple J...

Also, reading lots of smokescreens about Doncic dropping out of the top three. There’s no way he gets past Atlanta, right?

I imagine it might be easier to say he doesn't get past 3, because I imagine you'd see a trade happening if he made it past 2.

It's going to be a long month.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Jota posted:

Michael Porter Jr should have gotten 10% of his dad's salary

I mean he probably did?

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

the mean lunch lady posted:

I mean he probably did?

He got more than 10%. Separate payments though. This is about the principle come on now.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NickRoweFillea posted:

Is it weird to not be enthralled by Bagley potentially dropping to us? I think I’d rather have Triple J...

Also, reading lots of smokescreens about Doncic dropping out of the top three. There’s no way he gets past Atlanta, right?

Bagley next to an engaged Gasol might be one way that he actually works.

I personally dont' believe the smoke about Doncic falling but if you want to hope and dream it I will pretend for you, my friend.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Jota posted:

He got more than 10%. Separate payments though. This is about the principle come on now.

I dunno about that. There are like 7 or 8 Porter kids.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

Earlier this week, Trae Young’s father, Ray, told the New York Daily News that New York is a desirable destination for his son because of the spotlight its big market creates. “That’s what Trae lives for,” Ray said of his son, who interviewed with New York on Friday. Multiple league sources told me that the Knicks have the hots for the Oklahoma point guard, so the interest is mutual.

Get hype New York

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Knicks are my dream trade partner for Kemba so hopefully someone takes Trae (and Sexton I guess) before they're on deck

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

WhyteRyce posted:

Get hype New York

PLEASE

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

is that really better than orlando? kinda feels like a wash basketball wise

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

And I'm sure Jr took care of them each handsomely

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

MourningView posted:

New York has gotten a lot of mediocre players paid because of the attention that city brings.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

MourningView posted:

New York is a poorly managed team that will shoot itself in the foot every step of the way till dolan dies

Orlando is a wasteland that destroys players and coaches

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Lockback posted:

New York has gotten a lot of mediocre players paid because of the attention that city brings.

Trae Young is going to take that Tim Hardaway Jr. mentoring and get paid...by the Knicks

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

The Missouri Porter legacy and the Kansas Lawson legacy is eerily similar.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

NickRoweFillea posted:

If he gets to 3 it wouldn't surprise me if the Mavs tried to trade up to that pick.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

morestuff posted:

Knicks are my dream trade partner for Kemba so hopefully someone takes Trae (and Sexton I guess) before they're on deck

I'd be so happy if they somehow land Kemba but Trae would be a funny plan B

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Who do you guys think is the most impressive athlete in the draft, that's subjective of course, but I'd like to hear

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Who do you guys think is the most impressive athlete in the draft, that's subjective of course, but I'd like to hear

Zhaire Smith

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Dejan Bimble posted:

MV is right, but in terms of pure physical specimen-ness, Bamba’s near 8 foot wingspan is horrifying

paternity suitor
Aug 2, 2016

MourningView posted:

It’s a win life wise

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Forget the Suns having his coach, Sacramento is forming the next great Balkan super power alliance

quote:

Luka Doncic on Bogdan:"We are friends, he is a great player, I could learn a lot from him."

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 05:25 on May 22, 2018

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

WhyteRyce posted:

Forget the Suns having his coach, Sacramento is forming the next great Balkan super power alliance

God that Fox-Bogdanovic-Doncic core is going to play zero defense.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Good article comparing many of the non-top tier wings, particularly against what Otto Porter and Robert Covington also showed in college: https://www.thestepien.com/2018/05/19/ball-handling-passing-defensive-versatility-wings-2018-draft/

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

The Stepien has Trae Young in their tier 1

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Apparently on Ryen Russillo's podcast he said he's heard that Sarver loves Doncic but the front office wants Ayton. So, uh, there's a twist.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

he could be really good? It's not like he's a guranteed bust or something, you could argue he's the best guard in the draft pretty easily. I think he's pretty close to a consensus top 8-9 guy and I don't think it's too outrageous to have him above anyone outside of Doncic/Ayton/Jackson (though I know they don't really like Ayton that much because of the defense)

MourningView fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 22, 2018

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Apparently on Ryen Russillo's podcast he said he's heard that Sarver loves Doncic but the front office wants Ayton. So, uh, there's a twist.

My gut tells me to do whatever the opposite of what Sarver thinks is right.

Doncic should go undrafted

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

he could be really good? It's not like he's a guranteed bust or something, you could argue he's the best guard in the draft pretty easily.

But if the argument is that he could, then you'd have to put a ton of people in your tier 1 for the same reason.

Tier 1 to me means you are drafting that guy no matter what if he's available. Would you think any of the teams in the top 4 drafting him would be a good idea?

Saying I would take him over anyone not named X means he certainly isn't top tier

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

But if the argument is that he could, then you'd have to put a ton of people in your tier 1 for the same reason.

Tier 1 to me means you are drafting that guy no matter what if he's available. Would you think any of the teams in the top 4 drafting him would be a good idea?

I don't think he'd be that bad at 4 tbh. I can come up with about as many reasons to doubt Bagley, Carter, Bamba, Sexton, etc

WhyteRyce posted:

Saying I would take him over anyone not named X means he certainly isn't top tier

So tier one should be one person? Because I don't think they'd take anyone over Doncic

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Dexo posted:

My gut tells me to do whatever the opposite of what Sarver thinks is right.

Doncic should go undrafted

Well I mean if it wasn't for Sarver the Suns would've signed Raymond Felton instead of Goran Dragic a few years ago. Not that it ended up mattering much.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Kibner posted:

Good article comparing many of the non-top tier wings, particularly against what Otto Porter and Robert Covington also showed in college: https://www.thestepien.com/2018/05/19/ball-handling-passing-defensive-versatility-wings-2018-draft/

I'm at the point where I'll be disappointed if Miles isn't there for Charlotte at 11.

WhyteRyce posted:

With ramshackle blogs like that, who's writing the article matters more than usual. Some of the content on there is really bad, other stuff is solid.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WhyteRyce posted:

Yes?

The draft is all about belief in a player.

This isn't the NFL draft(and even there it's bullshit mostly).

I I would probably mock them but ultimately wouldn't care if a team drafted MPJ or Young, or J3 or anyone first overall. If you think a player is a superstar caliber player then you loving draft him wherever you are. Sure trading back to get more picks is great if you can be almost assured that you will get who you want still. But even so you still don't know what the other teams scouting and board looks like. So if you have any doubts. Draft whoever you like best.

Saying that, It's an extremely good way to get fired I supoose, but if you think you have a dude gently caress what others outside the org think pick them.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Trae is tier 1 on the court

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I like Jalen Brunson for the Grizz at 32. I think he’s going to be a solid professional player. Maybe not a star, but solid.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
I don't really care about rankings. The value in that article I posted is analysis of what they were able to accomplish in college and how that compares to what current NBA players who these prospects project to be like did in college. It also points out the growth that the now-NBA players had to do to become what they are today.

Forget tier lists and weigh the article on its own merits.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I like some of The Stepien's stuff. Their breakdown of Mikal Bridges they did earlier and doubt they had if he really was an elite defender was interesting. In the case of Trae Young they haven't had any kind of in-depth look at him yet and the breakdown they wrote of him was from December 2017. At the very least he's now down on tier 2 after a recent update so maybe they are just nbadraft.netting it

WhyteRyce fucked around with this message at 17:03 on May 22, 2018

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

WhyteRyce posted:

I like some of The Stepien's stuff. Their breakdown of Mikal Bridges they did earlier and doubt they had if he really was an elite defender was interesting. In the case of Trae Young they haven't had any kind of in-depth look at him yet and the breakdown they wrote of him was from December 2017. At the very least he's now down on tier 2 after a recent update so maybe they are just nbadraft.netting it

So you think he should be lower than they initially had him but also think it's bad that they eventually dropped him a bit after watching more? I think most people are lower on him now that they were in December; he didn't close out the season very well (though I'd argue there are mitigating circumstances there)

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Space Camp fuckup posted:

Cant't play Kanter Ayton

Or something

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

MourningView posted:

So you think he should be lower than they initially had him but also think it's bad that they eventually dropped him a bit after watching more? I think most people are lower on him now that they were in December; he didn't close out the season very well (though I'd argue there are mitigating circumstances there)

I just thought it was weird having him on Tier 1 without any indepth breakdowns to indicate why they are so different from the rest of the pack. I don't mind an edgy take if you at least show your work (like they've done a ton of work to show why they have Ayton so low). I don't think it's bad that they dropped him to Tier 2, I just think that between only doing that recently and the breakdown of him being from December 2017, they are just a little slow ala NBA Draft.net

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I have Doncic and Trae Young over all the bigs then JJJ and Bamba

• Locked thread