Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

the popes toes posted:

MLB story here: https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-rotation-could-rank-among-best-ever/c-277542622

That said, they're all pitching a lot of innings and I hope nothing pops.

God, the Orioles' pitching staff is some level of dogshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Your Taint posted:

We may be on different sides of an arch rivalry, but at least we're united in our hatred of Ryan Braun.

Nice.

kensei posted:

I need that hat.

Almost C-SPAM-posted here. :blush:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Astros finally gave up on Jon Singleton, who never panned out and was in the middle of another drug suspension

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2018/05/astros-release-jon-singleton.html

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Kinda reminds me of Disco Hayes, who I went to high school with. I knew him for being the star of the chess team more than the baseball team in high school.

I think I found his page. Does the tournament history match where he would've been?

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Pancakes posted:

Almost C-SPAM-posted here. :blush:

You're still cool :glomp:

Strasburgs UCL
Jul 28, 2009

Hang in there little buddy
https://twitter.com/chelsea_janes/status/998732823870746624

This is pretty cool.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

We both graduated in 2001, so those dates and locations definitely make sense.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
N: Tyler O'Neill has now homered in 3 straight games.

V: Oh, Canada. :allears:

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Timby posted:

God, the Orioles' pitching staff is some level of dogshit.

Fixed that for you.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Pancakes posted:

I'm now even madder that the Mariners traded him away.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Yet another Barves-Phillies series

good lord MLB, fix your scheduling

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Some Numbers posted:

I'm now even madder that the Mariners traded him away.

They always get better when they leave...

*looks up flights to Seattle*

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

shirts and skins posted:

They always get better when they leave...

Taijuan Walker has something to say about that.

Dear god that trade was so good for us.

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Some Numbers posted:

Taijuan Walker has something to say about that.

Dear god that trade was so good for us.

*offer only valid for position players

But yeah that trade alone should keep Jerry employed for a good while, to say nothing of acquiring Dee Gordon who is an Absolute Treasure

humpthewind
Jan 8, 2007

Noblest of all dogs is the hot-dog; it feeds the hand that bites it.

Pancakes posted:

Please continue to update us on what he does.

I saw him in left field on AAA opening day in round rock and he was a great sport when my friends and I drunkenly heckled his perfect posterior. He then threw a dude out at home and became even more of a legend.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

humpthewind posted:

Please continue to update us on what he does.

I saw him in left field on AAA opening day in round rock and he was a great sport when my friends and I drunkenly heckled his perfect posterior. He then threw a dude out at home and became even more of a legend.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=UBqDcWtf03Y

https://youtube.com/watch?v=TrFCvvhqsxk

He also muscled a pretty tough pitch into the corner for an RBI double tonight. That strength of his is just scary, the ball doesn't quite behave like it seems it should coming off of his bat.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

The degree to which the team's Dominican scouting operations have been revamped is astonishing. Such a cool moment.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Yet another Barves-Phillies series

good lord MLB, fix your scheduling

this is it until September 20, nearly four months away

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

patonthebach posted:

I don't think he will take a pre-fa contract deal but there are reasons why it might make sense. Even if you are the defacto #1 prospect in baseball and you have 90% chance of being an all-star caliber player, there is also the chance you might blow out your ACL and never be the same due to a fluke injury.

70 million guaranteed for 5 years versus maybe 5 million or 150 million. Not the craziest idea ever to get the guaranteed money. He will still hit FA at 26 or 27 and have a monster dong contract.

His father is a Hall of Famer so he doesn't need to do poo poo to ensure he makes something instead of nothing. Vlad Jr. has zero incentive to take a below market deal.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

https://twitter.com/DerekWetmore/status/998764727663640577

:byodood: BUT THE POHLADS ARE TOO CHEAP TO SPEND MONEY

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wait, that phil hughes?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

bawfuls posted:

His father is a Hall of Famer so he doesn't need to do poo poo to ensure he makes something instead of nothing. Vlad Jr. has zero incentive to take a below market deal.

Exactly. He doesn't need to even play baseball to be set for life. Dude is rich forever already.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

R.D. Mangles posted:

wait, that phil hughes?

I don't know of another!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Like a good Gleyber, Torres is there

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s a shame we are all punished by the Jays’ poor planning and institutional dysfunction, and have to miss the lad hitting .329 with 48 dongs and 38 errors as a rookie.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 15 hours!
Nick Pivetta is good? Ok then

Thanks Nats

Ragnarok the Red
Jun 21, 2002

the popes toes posted:

MLB story here: https://www.mlb.com/news/astros-rotation-could-rank-among-best-ever/c-277542622

That said, they're all pitching a lot of innings and I hope nothing pops.

44 year old Bartolo Colon is probably the only reason the Rangers aren't at the very bottom. :psyduck:

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I see the gigantic, hideous eldritch golem Aaron Judge homered again.

Are you New Yorkers all worshipping Zuul or the Old Ones out there? What foul mockery of humanity will you summon forth next from the netherworld? Bad for base ball.

e: And this is related. I’m going to replace Benintendi with 1946 Ted Williams in an OOTP season, and see if that’s enough to defeat the forces of Evil.

I know Teddy Ballgame will give up a few more runs in LF but I expect him to more than make up for it at the plate.

As for what old Ted would think about being summoned to the future to fight the hellspawn massing in the Bronx, I think this actual quote from the man himself would sum it up best:

REPORTER: You think you’ll hit up there?
WILLIAMS: Who’s gonna stop me?

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 22, 2018

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

MrMojok posted:

I see the gigantic, hideous eldritch golem Aaron Judge homered again.

The Something Awful Forums › Discussion › Sports Argument Stadium › MLB N/V May: Aaron Judge: the gigantic, hideous eldritch golem

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

the popes toes posted:

It's complicated, but the D'backs can leave their stadium in 2022.

https://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/diamondbacks-get-permission-for-new-stadium/

I wonder which new collection of taxpayers will eventually get hosed, and what city they might be in?

Anybody ever see a home game there in the current stadium? What's the park like?

Chase field looks and feels practically brand new, and is really nice. Maybe there is more going down behind the scenes, but as far as I can tell the county promised to spend some money on upgrades or repairs, but not pay for everything. The D-Backs want them to pay for everything, even though that was never agreed on. So the ruling was the county only pays for some stuff, but in trade the D-Backs can hold non baseball events at the field and keep all the profits for themselves. They also get to leave in a few years if they want because they are being big babies about their state of the art retractable roof air conditioned baseball stadium, and apparently would rather pay for an entire new one then pay for a few upgrades. I guess as a big gently caress you?

The team moving to a new location would not only be stupid because the current field is fine, but also where it is located in the city. Currently it is in the middle of downtown Phoenix, next to plenty of restaurants, bars, entertainment, parking, etc, near several major freeways. It is also next to the admittedly lame light rail (because it hardly goes anywhere), but some people use it and that's still handy. It is about as central to the city as you can get and still be in a desirable area.

Being centrally located is pretty important, because the Phoenix Metro Area is really really huge. Like triple digit miles across huge. The suburbs are just more of the city, you can drive from one "city" to the next and the only difference is which side of the road you are on, it is basically all Phoenix. You can easily drive 50-60 miles in one direction and never leave the city. If they build a new ballpark on tribal reservation land as is being discussed, that will likely put it on either the far east or far west end of the city, most likely the east side. This is also a big gently caress you to the county and the state, because if they put it on tribal land, they don't have to pay them taxes. Most likely a tribe will give them free land and help them build it for a cut of profits for as long as they play there, so short sited, and they still will have to likely pay for most of it.

This would mean if you live on the other side of the city, enjoy your 80 mile drive in heavy traffic to see your local cities baseball team at a park out in the middle of no where with nothing of interest nearby. Basically moving it to the outskirts of the city, no matter where, is going to make it worse for 75% of the fans, is stupid, and they really should stay put, but I doubt it. Don't punish the fanbase over your petty squabbles D-Backs and spend a few bucks on whatever you feel you need at your current field, even though no one in your state knows what those changes are, why, or even really cares other then ownership.

E: The county dropped the ball too, and should honor their agreement, but shouldn't have made one in the first place. It's a big dumb slap fight where no matter who wins, the fans lose.

Twenty Four fucked around with this message at 10:04 on May 22, 2018

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
For whatever reason it seems Phoenix teams are particularly inclined to try that scam lately. I hope cities are finally getting wise to it--I can't see Seattle publicly funding a stadium anytime soon, for example. But then I hear about the R*dskins moving and all the DC area jurisdictions tripping over their dicks to give them the best deal...sigh. This bullshit isn't going to end until there is a federal law preventing use of taxpayer funds for private stadiums. That seems unlikely in the near future.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Juan Soto is a great name

The Dominican is just ridiculous

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Eddie Rosario :allears:

https://www.mlb.com/twins/video/grossmans-sacrifice-fly/c-2068603283?tid=8877600

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

MrMojok posted:

It’s a shame we are all punished by the Jays’ poor planning and institutional dysfunction, and have to miss the lad hitting .329 with 48 dongs and 38 errors as a rookie.

You mean just like Ryan Braun?

(Obligatory Ryan Braun is a piece of poo poo human)

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Nick Pivetta is good? Ok then

Thanks Nats

I wouldn't take this as conclusive

Braves have a distressing habit of being totally dumpstered by bad pitchers while teeing off on good ones, with no rhyme or reason

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s been good against other teams.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!

R.D. Mangles posted:

wait, that phil hughes?

All time single season k/bb record holder Phil Hughes, yes

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Epic High Five posted:

I wouldn't take this as conclusive

Braves have a distressing habit of being totally dumpstered by bad pitchers while teeing off on good ones, with no rhyme or reason

3.23 ERA/2.88 FIP

28.0 K%/5.6 BB%

9.3 HR/FB% and a 0.85 HR/9, dude's good.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If you took the Astros pitching and the Yankees offense to form a super team, would they ever lose a game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeraskol
May 3, 2006

Oh yeah. I was killing you.
Not with the way the Yankees are hitting homeruns right now.

:love: Gleyber :love:

• Locked thread