Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
That is actually pretty hosed up. Punk said in a recent interview that he'd like to fight in the first fight pass prelim if it was up to him.

And god knows that Fight Pass needs something for people to tune in. Hell they might even get the audience to show up before main card

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
i get the feeling whatever audience there was for that guy is severely not interested now

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"

TheCool69 posted:

That is actually pretty hosed up. Punk said in a recent interview that he'd like to fight in the first fight pass prelim if it was up to him.

And god knows that Fight Pass needs something for people to tune in. Hell they might even get the audience to show up before main card

if he actually gave a poo poo, he would have fought an out of shape carpenter at a duke roufus quasi-sanctioned bum fights show instead of the ufc

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

mewse posted:

A guy thats 0-1 is officially a bigger draw than overeem

Nah. The first PPV fight is almost always a lower marquee name than the final televised prelim. They want the final free fight to be a big one so it drives up PPV sales.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mr. Nice! posted:

Nah. The first PPV fight is almost always a lower marquee name than the final televised prelim. They want the final free fight to be a big one so it drives up PPV sales.

:thejoke:

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Triticum Guzzler posted:

i get the feeling whatever audience there was for that guy is severely not interested now

Wrestling fans are used to seeing their favorites be booked to lose night after night for sometimes months or years at a time so they'll probably be able to shrug off one loss in real fighting

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed
One time they booked Tyron Woodley vs. Jake Shields in the prelim main event spot and thought yeah, this will help the buyrate

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Wrestling fans are used to seeing their favorites be booked to lose night after night for sometimes months or years at a time so they'll probably be able to shrug off one loss in real fighting

the issue is less that he lost and more that he lost and looked like total dogshit. there's no intrigue there at all now.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah, it was a mistake putting him against someone that could actually fight

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
guy is afraid of a can of beer how do you expect him to fight a grown man

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
i'd be more inclined to buy the pay per view if they spent 15 minutes at 9:45 showing Overeem's greatest hits and then told me that guy is fighting on the card tonight, tune in

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Punk didn't get beaten into oblivion in his first shot. He just looked desperately outclassed.

Let him slang and bang with Tank Abbott or something. I promise you, tens of dollars are to be made.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Log posted:

Punk didn't get beaten into oblivion in his first shot. He just looked desperately outclassed.

Let him slang and bang with Tank Abbott or something. I promise you, tens of dollars are to be made.

The elderly, profoundly obese Tank Abbott would wheeze into the center of the ring, do a combat roll made lopsided by the leg he lost to diabetes, and then loving destroy CM Punk.

Afterbirth Aftermath
Aug 29, 2002
Brock threw his first UFC fight too, it's all part of Vince's plan.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Bundt Cake posted:

I looked up Curtis Blaydes to make sure its real and hes a weeeeeeeeeeed guy

the name certainly sounds like a '70s blaxploitation protagonist; i don't know how the weed relates to this.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Boco_T posted:

This is like when Faber used to always fight as the featured prelim.

Didn't Faber fight on the prelim by choice? In that he felt there was a bigger potential audience for him there than there was in a relatively low spot on a PPV Card? Not saying he was right, just that I recall hearing this was his reasoning for doing it - I'm guessing this was probably before the Reebok deal too when something like that might have mattered for sponsors?

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.

Neurosis posted:

the name certainly sounds like a '70s blaxploitation protagonist; i don't know how the weed relates to this.

He 's probably referring to Blaydes being one of the people who had a win overturned in Texas for living on a planet with weed on it.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

"I was being quiet and trying to be a good boy but he dialed the right combination to open the throw-down vault and it was on."

"Walter Foxx is ten times brighter than your bulb at the bottom of the tree merry xmas"
werdum popped

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LobsterMobster posted:

werdum popped

So much for him fighting in Russia.

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

So much for him fighting in Russia.

unless its a tainted supplement

6 months, time served would put it at late november, which is when i thought they were considering ufc moscow

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

LobsterMobster posted:

unless its a tainted supplement

6 months, time served would put it at late november, which is when i thought they were considering ufc moscow

UFC Moscow is scheduled for the middle of September. Thats probably way too soon for a successful tainted supplement defense.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
werdum better retroactively become a customer of that one place in brazil everybody just got unbanned for

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

LobsterMobster posted:

werdum popped

usada will have to be careful with their approach to this case since he will probably try to pull guard during the hearing

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
USADA official giving a statement: we tried on 3 occasions to look at his dick and balls and watch him pee and then collect his piss and drink it but every time he would just fall over and try to get us to lie on top of him. we refused every time because we arent gay

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

I.N.R.I posted:

USADA official giving a statement: we tried on 3 occasions to look at his dick and balls and watch him pee and then collect his piss and drink it but every time he would just fall over and try to get us to lie on top of him. we refused every time because we arent gay

lol

LobsterMobster
Oct 29, 2009

I.N.R.I posted:

take it to the oildome if you aint gay, bitch

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
He who throws the boomerang must be ready for its return.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

USADA having to go through the oildome to collect a sample is a perfect middle ground

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Jose Aldo running out the back door of Nova Uniao, leaving a trail of baby oil behind him

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I'm not the only one furiously F5ing hunto's instagram account am I

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Soothing Vapors posted:

I'm not the only one furiously F5ing hunto's instagram account am I

First thing I checked when I saw that Werdum popped.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

hahaha

dox
Mar 4, 2006
Rockhold injured his "knee" with an apparent gash to the shin

graphic content :barf:

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/999043898906415104

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

dox posted:

Meh pretty tame graphic content. This reply though...

https://twitter.com/dxhdesign/status/999045942648045568

:discourse:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

I.N.R.I posted:

loving lol.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

dox posted:

and i thought rockhold was known for his prowess with gashes.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Neurosis posted:

and i thought rockhold was known for his prowess with gashes.

Not when they’re bleeding.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/espn-adds-30-fights-to-ufc-tv-rights-deal-reaching-1-5-billion-value-exclusive-1202819447/

Variety posted:

Sources familiar with negotiations say ESPN has struck a deal for a second portion to the package currently held by Fox Sports that will bring the total cost in the neighborhood of $300 million per year for five years, totaling $1.5 billion. The new deals, which cover a total of 30 fights, kick in early 2019.

Reps from ESPN, UFC and Fox Sports could not be reached for comment.

As with their other pact, the events covered under this deal will be split between ESPN’s linear channels and ESPN+, the new streaming service launched last month.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

Guess I'm not going to bother seeing about a third of future UFC shows and that's fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Thirty fights is only a few cards

• Locked thread