Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i got prices and an "add funds" steam prompt like normal when i hit buy. something seems to be broken on your end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I got it. They never bothered to add new currencies to the game. They did it (albeit very late) on the steam store but not in the game. Great company, will be sorely missed.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

:rip:

they might be able to fix it if you email them but its farsight so who knows

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

I'd post on the pinballarcadefans forums but I think they banned me for pointing out a bug or something.

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
What are the best tables on Pinball Arcade? I heard the license is lapsing next month or so and I already have the season 1 tables, but I only got the budget for another pack.

Which one should I go for? I heard the one with the Adam's family is pretty good.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Uncle Kitchener posted:

What are the best tables on Pinball Arcade? I heard the license is lapsing next month or so and I already have the season 1 tables, but I only got the budget for another pack.

Which one should I go for? I heard the one with the Adam's family is pretty good.

Season 3 and Season 4 are both really solid, but yeah Season 4 would probably be the way to go if you're buying only one. There's not a single weak table in that season IMO

Uncle Kitchener
Nov 18, 2009

BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
BALLSBALLSBALLSBALLS
Very nice. I found the season 1 tables to pretty much all fun tables.

Anything in Pinball FX worth checking out? I only bought the Bathesda tables, but I don't know about the Alien and Predator ones.

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Got a speaker mod kit and mirrored side blades for my TNA.

https://www.facebook.com/SpookyPinball/videos/1768332596561293/

Tato
Jun 19, 2001

DIRECTIVE 236: Promote pro-social values
I purchased all the iOS tables I have through the App Store and those purchases are all tied to my iTunes account. I only bought Table Packs for PC through Steam, never through Farsight, so my purchases are saved by Valve. I have everything downloaded and backed up to be safe, I can only hope that all the tables can be restored in the future. The only ambiguous table is TotAN, but I bought the pro version so here's hoping it stays.

Of course, Farsight is being true to form by being discombobulated and posting contradictory messages on multiple outlets about everything.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Trip result: God drat, does Star Wars have a lot of high scores.

Never had to make a video of my high scores before. I still haven't really worked out how half the poo poo in Star Wars works. I am at least now able to move my multiplied shots around as needed, and I have managed to play all four of the major modes in a game, which was nice. Still, in my best game (3.7 billion), I somehow ended up with a 1 billion Death Star score, which I cannot explain in the slightest, especially since I didn't even complete the mode. I did complete Tatooine once and got a Victory Multiball, and my final Tatooine score was really small in comparison. Guess the multipliers are really strong.

This will require more playing on my part to figure out.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I've finally done it. Bought my first pin. It's a 1973 Bally Time Zone, non-working but all the plastics are intact and most of the decorative bits still look great. Some rust on the metal, some real dirt on the playfield, and God only knows what's going on in the pit of hell underneath, but I'm really looking forward to jumping in and learning a lot about pinball/EM repair. It's my summer project, basically.

I've just started with some Novus 1 and Magic Eraser on the plastics because I want to clean it good before I start to troubleshoot the electrical, and god drat, that poo poo works.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Very nice. I found the season 1 tables to pretty much all fun tables.

Anything in Pinball FX worth checking out? I only bought the Bathesda tables, but I don't know about the Alien and Predator ones.

all of the FX3 tables are decent to really good except Civil War (it's trash) and V12 (it's old and janky).
Choose an IP and go to town.

My favorites are Fear Itself, Mars, Tesla, and X-Men.

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Yeah, PFX is perfectly fine. Tables take way, way longer than the PBA ones but that's because they weren't designed to eat quarters. Also PFX has godlike leaderboard features like it shows you which steam friend's score you're about to beat during play, that kinda thing. It's a slick game compared to barely working PBA.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Have to wonder why PBA even bothered to put itself on switch when all the good tables are gone.

Is there any talk of importing older stuff to FX3 on switch like the Marvel tables? The selection on Switch is kind of small so far but I'd love to play Fear Itself and Spiderman on it again.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

DLC Inc posted:

Have to wonder why PBA even bothered to put itself on switch when all the good tables are gone.
its not like they just started the switch version last month

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

DLC Inc posted:

The game app was on the Switch before the rights holders refused to allow a renewal. It just so happened that their Switch port also really sucked and was broken, so when they pulled it to fix it the rights issue came up so they just released the game back on the Switch with the Bally/Williams tables already taken out.

e: Or for all I know they may have pulled it specifically because the rights holders refused to license the tables for a new version. That might've been how they found out about the Bally/Williams rights holders not wanting to go forward with loaning their tables out for TPA.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

King Vidiot posted:

The game app was on the Switch before the rights holders refused to allow a renewal. It just so happened that their Switch port also really sucked and was broken, so when they pulled it to fix it the rights issue came up so they just released the game back on the Switch with the Bally/Williams tables already taken out.

e: Or for all I know they may have pulled it specifically because the rights holders refused to license the tables for a new version. That might've been how they found out about the Bally/Williams rights holders not wanting to go forward with loaning their tables out for TPA.

I listened to the Blahcade podcast interview with Bobby King of Farsight today, he said they knew the license was running out but fully believed they had the right to include the Williams tables in it as long as it was still before the deadline. They put the game up and got nasty calls from Williams' owner's lawyers, and took it down rather than deal with lawsuits and possibly having Pinball Arcade locked out on every platform.

It sounded like they've known since January, but that's me reading between the lines.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

elf help book posted:

I listened to the Blahcade podcast interview with Bobby King of Farsight today, he said they knew the license was running out but fully believed they had the right to include the Williams tables in it as long as it was still before the deadline. They put the game up and got nasty calls from Williams' owner's lawyers, and took it down rather than deal with lawsuits and possibly having Pinball Arcade locked out on every platform.

It sounded like they've known since January, but that's me reading between the lines.
I also listened to the podcast, and the takeaway I got was they realized WMS wasn't interested in FarSight making more Williams tables, but getting the back catalog pulled out from under them was a complete surprise. It also seems like the Switch episode was simply the point that WMS decided to inform them of their decision. The quickness with which Pinball Arcade got pulled from Switch implies it was a cut-and-dry contractual issue, but FarSight probably thought it could be easily smoothed over, since it's basically free money to WMS.

Bobby also said he expects some sort of announcement from WMS in the beginning of July, after the FarSight contract expires. Maybe a new developer, maybe something else entirely. My gut feeling is they just don't make enough money from it to be worth the hassle of negotiating it every few years, and they'll just let the IP rot.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I mean if they can get the liscences there are a bunch of really great Sterns they can add. Alas most of them have gently caress off crazy expensive IPs attached to them though.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Supposedly the IPs that Stern licenses for its new tables include the rights to recreate them virtually as well. This was the whole point behind Farsight creating Stern Pinball Arcade, but considering that seems to be abandoned... :shrug:

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

They've said the next season is bringing Stern into the mothership fold.

Ludicrous Gibs!
Jan 21, 2002

I'm not lost, but I don't know where I am.
Ramrod XTreme
Well, they'll have to; PA won't survive on Gottliebs and the few DE/Sega tables they can wrangle the licenses for.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i would love for them to do wizard of oz

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awesome! posted:

Hell yeah for sure.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Awesome! posted:

that table is crazy

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Awesome! posted:

Watch Farsight get sued into the ground for widespread seizures

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Awesome! posted:

In that same podcast, Bobby King said they are having a lot more troubles than they anticipated in getting Stern's native code to work in Pinball Arcade, and they currently don't really know how they'll be able to get the HD video that goes with the LCD tables to work. Trying to get Jersey Jack tables into it would mean starting from scratch with code integration, and JJP doesn't have that many tables out there, so it's probably not worth the trouble. That's not even getting into the licensing issues (no idea if JJP had the foresight to secure digital pinball rights when they got the rights to the physical tables, like Stern has been doing the past few years).

DeNofa
Aug 25, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Does anyone in the thread act as a pinball operator? I'm curious about how it goes as my area is largely barren of machines aside from a few barcades. I know I'm not going to retire from the income, but it wouldn't be nice to have some bonus money coming in if I get a good deal/location.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Star Trek getting a Vault Edition rerelease from Stern!

https://www.facebook.com/sternpinball/posts/10156524711514244

tonedef131
Sep 3, 2003

DeNofa posted:

Does anyone in the thread act as a pinball operator? I'm curious about how it goes as my area is largely barren of machines aside from a few barcades. I know I'm not going to retire from the income, but it wouldn't be nice to have some bonus money coming in if I get a good deal/location.

I do with a buddy of mine. I know most of the brewers in town so as they’ve all decided to open breweries we’ve slowly started adding games. It seems to be a good fit and there are 3 more opening this summer that want games. It’s fun if you are good at working on them but is a lot of work. Basically it just pays for the hobby and gives you a place to publicly play and host leagues and tournaments. Don’t expect much in earnings for the first year or two if there isn’t much of a scene in town. We were the only decent machines in the whole city when we started like 4 years ago and it’s just taken off in the last year. Now there are multiple barcades and the largest pinball only arcade in the entire Great Lakes region in our city.

I can answer any questions, but here are a few things I’ve learned:

- Place at locations where you know the owners, or at least the management, on a somewhat personal level. Otherwise it can be hard to get in to service during off hours, get updates on service issues and games can go missing way too easily otherwise.

- Don’t share your keys with anyone, even if they are your friends. It’s a cash business and the credits are all you have. Giving those out will seem harmless to them but is a huge loss to you. I’ve had to take keys away from a long time friend and it sucked bad.

- Do not go above a 75/25 split. Machines are more expensive than they’ve ever been and driving around to service them is a huge expense. If the location lets you swing it do no split. Their perk is it gives people something to do and keeps them there drinking beer for longer. Look for locations that value that, if they have other sorts of games and frequently run activities they will probably be a good fit.

- Partner up with someone if you can. Things will go down at horrible times and it’s good to have two people sharing the service. It also helps spread out costs and it’s nice to have someone to bounce ideas off and vent frustrations to. There is absolutely no way I would do this alone.

- Insist on having a webcam on the games when you are negotiating a new location. People will frequently not report problems and will just shut a game off and it could be off for days without your knowledge. It’s also helpful to have them all on smart switches so you can power cycle them and set the timers so you don’t have to count on the staff to turn them on and off.

- Put bill validators in the games. Change machines run out of quarters and are a pain to refill. It’s also a hell of a lot easier and lighter to deal with bills when you cash out the machines. They don’t jam like coin mechs either, just make sure that on games priced less than a dollar you put a price break at an even number of dollars. On my 75¢ games I do 3 games for $2 so people aren’t left with partial credits.

- Keep your games clean and operating 100%. It’s good to have a spare game too so if something goes down for a while you can swap it out. Locations do not like having dark machines taking up space in their business, and players lose faith in you if it happens too frequently for too long.

- Put security bars on. We have proprietary keys for our doors and still run security bars to keep the pry bars out and protect the coin doors from kicks and knees from aggressive players.

- Run tournaments and leagues as frequently as you can. This is a shitload of work, so outsource it to a local player who’s into that kind of nerdy stuff if you can.

- Always buy more than one of replacement parts. Shipping and waiting for parts is an absolute killer.

- Don’t get personally attached to games. If it ain’t earning, move it to another location. We try to keep games at a location no less than 6 months but no more than 2 years. If it doesn’t earn at any location sell it and get something fresh.

- Play test them thoroughly, location play will put a spotlight on any potential problem area. You won’t believe some of the poo poo you see happen in the wild.

- LEDs are mandatory, even in the backbox. If a display goes out, put in a low voltage LED one. The heat and draw of incans is huge and makes everything crispy. You can run a lot more games on the same circuit this way.

- Try to keep active on social media. Make a page and post about anything and everything Pinball related in the area. I need to be way better about this but I at least try to let people know when service issues are resolved, new games arrive, code updates and give big shout outs to all out tournament winners. I also have a simple website for people without social media to access FWPinball.com

- Most importantly, stay friendly with your players and the staff at locations. Tip well and share credits when you are there. They will bring their friends in to play and if/when something goes wrong they will let you know right away. If they really like you they may even clean the glass for you from time to time.

tonedef131 fucked around with this message at 23:02 on May 24, 2018

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

I've never heard of this company but it's already sold out. Stern is making them.

http://www.supremenewyork.com/shop/accessories/hohen3zr2

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Niwrad posted:

I've never heard of this company but it's already sold out. Stern is making them.

This looks suspiciously like Terminator 2.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

Deviant posted:

This looks suspiciously like Terminator 2.

It’s the same layout as the Spider-Man home version.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

They made 200 and sold out in seconds. That's some brand loyalty I guess.

They were also selling that thing for over $9000. It kind of looks cool but it looks like a stripped down pro. Can't cost much to make.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

Niwrad posted:

looks like a pinball machine for people who dont really play pinball.

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.
I hate people that buy SUPREME. I’ve never met anyone that has, but if I did I’d imagine I’d hate them.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

tonedef131 posted:

I do with a buddy of mine. I know most of the brewers in town so as they’ve all decided to open breweries we’ve slowly started adding games. It seems to be a good fit and there are 3 more opening this summer that want games. It’s fun if you are good at working on them but is a lot of work. Basically it just pays for the hobby and gives you a place to publicly play and host leagues and tournaments. Don’t expect much in earnings for the first year or two if there isn’t much of a scene in town. We were the only decent machines in the whole city when we started like 4 years ago and it’s just taken off in the last year. Now there are multiple barcades and the largest pinball only arcade in the entire Great Lakes region in our city.

I can answer any questions, but here are a few things I’ve learned:

This is a good post. I've saved it in the event I ever start collecting arcade games or pinballs and I get an urge to monetize them in the far future.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Can someone explain what exactly that is to someone who has no idea what that is

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

bewbies posted:

Can someone explain what exactly that is to someone who has no idea what that is

The Supreme table?

Stern took this:

And made this:

Years later they added this:

To get this:

At the same time, they stripped that down and also made this:

They've now subtracted out the theme and artwork, jacked the price to a comical level and you're left with Supreme pinball. Basically Stern has pulled a pinball version of a fool and their money getting parted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cosmicjim
Mar 23, 2010
VISIT THE STICKIED GOON HOLIDAY CHARITY DRIVE THREAD IN GBS.

Goons are changing the way children get an education in Haiti.

Edit - Oops, no they aren't. They donated to doobie instead.

bewbies posted:

Supreme is some sort of street wear brand that can literally put their name on anything and sell it. They sold red construction bricks with their name on it and sold out.