Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lmao if you didnt camp Barin while he's leaving Rostok so you can take his unique 5.45x39 groza after he gets instagibbed by a pack of wild dogs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Alright, I just finished SoC. Man, that went sideways by the end straight into Half Life territory. But I've had the game for just under 10 years now in my steam library, so I'm glad to have finally gotten around to it.

Honestly, if they had kept up the feeling from the start of the game, I think this would probably be my favorite FPS ever, but after X-16 everything just kinda fell apart for me. I've got the others and I'll give them a playthrough too but I'm honestly really looking forward to 2 to see where they go with it. I think my perfect game would be something with the early game atmosphere and sense of exploration and constant danger mixed with a more Deus Ex style area density and stealth options, and more involved sidequests.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Based on what you enjoyed about chernobyl, I think you'll like pripyat more

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Gobblecoque posted:

Ah, I see. You're trying to trick people into replaying Clear Sky to see if it's their or your memories which are bullshit.
I mean... I just replayed Clear Sky twice to write a newbie guide, so I know I'm right. Obviously.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

After years of starting and then not finishing SoC I recovered my save file from an old PC and "finished" it within a few weeks of more intermittent playing. I ended up just running past all the enemies at Chernobyl except the ones in the immediate vicinity of the door that I absolutely needed to shoot to get inside. After successfully getting through to the tunnels into the sarcophagus I decided to just watch the endings on youtube because I hated the gunplay so much and that area was the breaking point.

Clear Sky has way better gun mechanics and I noticed that immediately. Anything was better than the half of SoC when I had to unload an entire clip of fast firing akm into a single dude to kill them, and in addition to that I needed to carry around 800 bullets just so I don't run out because I decided to go somewhere where the enemies carry 5.56 ammo. The faction war stuff was a really cool concept but didn't do much of anything (I sided with the stalkers, maybe that's why) and it was very buggy, waiting for your dudes to send a patrol out to actually capture a base sucks. The bartender in the freedom base, Ganja, is hilarious and probably the most memorable character in the series so far besides Sidorovich. The ending battle was also kinda poo poo but it didn't bother me nearly as much as SoC's.

I've done all the beginning main quests in the first area of CoP and I quickly realized that I need to find one of those endurance artifacts or just get a mod that lets me run forever because so far this one is tedious as hell and less interesting than the other two by a mile.

Morzhovyye fucked around with this message at 11:53 on May 22, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Morzhovyye posted:

I've done all the beginning main quests in the first area of CoP and I quickly realized that I need to find one of those endurance artifacts or just get a mod that lets me run forever because so far this one is tedious as hell and less interesting than the other two by a mile.
IMO, CoP is hella sterile in general, but you can just get an increased weight limit mod - they also double as infinite stamina mods.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Were y’all playing on Master difficulty? IIRC that mode reduces player health but also reduces enemy health. Or increases headshot damage or something? I remember most of the old mods saying to play on that difficulty for whatever reason so things were less wonky

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

poverty goat posted:

well this is kind of the promise of STALKER but none of the past games can really deliver on it because after a few playthroughs you know where all the danger and treasure are and the zone is no longer a mystery to you, so you end up on a downward spiral of increasingly ridiculous hardcore mods until you're playing misery on dark mode just to feel something

I think I'm on a path towards becoming this person. I passed up on Clear Sky, and gave in and tried out Call, but I wasn't sure quite what wasn't clicking with me after a few hours. Then it struck me, there's not nearly enough anomalies scattered around given the size of the map, they all feel located in dense pockets, but outside of those it feels like I can just run freely in a straight line. So now I'm playing through SoC again on Master.

Are there any good mods for that, or should I just be glad that I don't have to navigate the open world while throwing bolts all the time?

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

Fellis posted:

Were y’all playing on Master difficulty? IIRC that mode reduces player health but also reduces enemy health. Or increases headshot damage or something? I remember most of the old mods saying to play on that difficulty for whatever reason so things were less wonky

I really didn't like SOC when it was new because I tried playing it on an easier difficulty and that just made it annoying to kill anyone. When I went back and tried it on master I had a lot more fun with it.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Get out of here stalker.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Xander77 posted:

Mods that remove (or increase) weight limits (literally google "weight limit mod") also remove stamina issues.

Moonlights are also awesome for stamina issues

Great Rumbler posted:

Saw this being passed around:

I could feel my soul shattering when I read that paragraph.

Uhg, no, just no. Last thing I want to do is herd cats. Just herding the AI at times is loving bad enough, but now my game play depends on Giblets the Clown finding every anomaly the newbie way....while flooding the team speak with broken English, South american Latin, or 1337

Accordion Man posted:

It did, but you had backup from Strelok and the other soldiers

Heh...heh...that was pretty much useless.

Morzhovyye posted:

I ended up just running past all the enemies at Chernobyl except the ones in the immediate vicinity of the door that I absolutely needed to shoot to get inside.

This is pretty much the way you have to play it. The game tricks you into fighting it out so the blowout timer can tick down. Including leaving artifacts out in the open so you'll be convinced to stop and grab them despite there being no point at that time.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 17:59 on May 23, 2018

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Get out of here stalker.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
There's a multiplayer Stalker mod in development rn called "Ray of Hope". Last I checked they had gameplay videos showing significantly expanded versions of existing maps with graphical enhancements, multiple players per instance and positional and directional voice chat working.
From their vids it also looked pretty smooth and stable too.

I'm not that interested in an MMO stalker, but a version that could support 30 or 60 players in a bigger world with character persistence could add some interest and unpredictability to the usual experience.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ There's already one out there that's been up on youtube for some time and it's full of buggy gameplay and the ever popular players spawn camping, sniping, or just being retarded.

Morzhovyye posted:

The bartender in the freedom base, Ganja, is hilarious and probably the most memorable character in the series so far besides Sidorovich.

Didn't hear Ashot and Yar on the PA huh?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3yzVdCC5PA

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I think I'm on a path towards becoming this person. I passed up on Clear Sky, and gave in and tried out Call, but I wasn't sure quite what wasn't clicking with me after a few hours. Then it struck me, there's not nearly enough anomalies scattered around given the size of the map, they all feel located in dense pockets, but outside of those it feels like I can just run freely in a straight line. So now I'm playing through SoC again on Master.

Are there any good mods for that, or should I just be glad that I don't have to navigate the open world while throwing bolts all the time?

If you can find an old Oblivion Lost mod (pre 2.0) it has the normal anomalies plus extras and they shift places with blowouts/time. My very first play of that mod I got roasted alive just outside Sid's bunker because a burner spawns there from time to time

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 18:10 on May 23, 2018

sea of losers
Jun 6, 2007

miy mwoiultlh tbreaptpreude ifno srteavtiecr more

communism bitch posted:

There's a multiplayer Stalker mod in development rn called "Ray of Hope". Last I checked they had gameplay videos showing significantly expanded versions of existing maps with graphical enhancements, multiple players per instance and positional and directional voice chat working.
From their vids it also looked pretty smooth and stable too.

I'm not that interested in an MMO stalker, but a version that could support 30 or 60 players in a bigger world with character persistence could add some interest and unpredictability to the usual experience.

im not entirely sure this is made in the xray engine

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Oh yeah, I never did link this here, did I?

Shadow of Chernobyl stealth playthrough (Stealth = never getting spotted by human enemies that have time to alarm others to your location). In Russian, unfortunately, but you can figure out the basics.

You can't savescum stealth in Stalker, because nearby enemies will be alerted to your location when you reload.

Xander77 fucked around with this message at 21:25 on May 23, 2018

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

If you can find an old Oblivion Lost mod (pre 2.0) it has the normal anomalies plus extras and they shift places with blowouts/time. My very first play of that mod I got roasted alive just outside Sid's bunker because a burner spawns there from time to time

Sorry, I should've been clearer, I was talking about adding anomalies to Call. But I'll definitely look into that Oblivion Lost mod. Did the later versions remove that feature or something?

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Morzhovyye posted:

After years of starting and then not finishing SoC I recovered my save file from an old PC and "finished" it within a few weeks of more intermittent playing. I ended up just running past all the enemies at Chernobyl except the ones in the immediate vicinity of the door that I absolutely needed to shoot to get inside. After successfully getting through to the tunnels into the sarcophagus I decided to just watch the endings on youtube because I hated the gunplay so much and that area was the breaking point.

This is exactly what's supposed to happen though. You've turned off the brain scorcher and now EVERYONE is trying to get to the CNPP. Pypriat is being flooded with stalkers from all factions because everyone believes in the wish granter and the idea that artifacts abound. Monolith is making a last stand there and at the plant while the military is trying to kill everything and take it all for themselves. You basically have to sprint to the CNPP if you want to survive, or die in the military-monolith crossfire.

if you got the "proper" ending and destroyed c-consciousness then yea, I'll agree the final portal-jumping-gunfight ending is kinda out of the blue, but up to then is really solid and true-to-story imo, and the ending video is a really good finish.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Looks like Dead Air is coming out pretty soon (few weeks in Russia, English shortly after)

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air

Lots of Russians playing it on youtube.

OregonDonor
Mar 12, 2010

Xander77 posted:

Oh yeah, I never did link this here, did I?

Shadow of Chernobyl stealth playthrough (Stealth = never getting spotted by human enemies that have time to alarm others to your location). In Russian, unfortunately, but you can figure out the basics.

You can't savescum stealth in Stalker, because nearby enemies will be alerted to your location when you reload.

Have any mods ever managed to "fix" the stealth system in any of the games? Is the stealth system even fixable? I've always wanted to play a more genuine stealth character but I've never quite found a way to make it work.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse
^ CoC by far is the worst. Enemies can spot you and hit you from out of view range even if in cover. And by the time you do know where they are he's got a bunch of his buddies flanking your rear end

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry, I should've been clearer, I was talking about adding anomalies to Call. But I'll definitely look into that Oblivion Lost mod. Did the later versions remove that feature or something?

The later versions were a sort of CoC design before CoC was released. It merged all the maps together and had the original story line, but killed the artefact transmutations and added an extra story line that was just an aggravating long list of fetch quests and stupidity.
the earlier versions are definitely better. Keep in mind the mod does hate you in a sense. Especially with the blowout feature as it tends to rile mutants up and they will start attacking certain places. Army warehouses seems to get a controller and a few actual zombies in the Freedom base (yes, the mod adds a lot of the cut mutants back), Burers, dogs, flesh, and pseudo dogs at the barrier, and a random bag of triple bloodsuckers, snorks, zombies, or controllers at the Duty farm. Lab X-18 gets a bunch more mutants to make it even more creepy/dangerous. The ending was tweeked a bit too, after the C-Conciousness there's some ultra controller you can kill if you feel like draining all your ammo and freeplay.

oh, related to a few posts above, the true ending battle, the radiation is removed from the grounds and there are no portal jumps, everything is accessible by ladders so you can wander around shooting everything that moves or just bolt over to the good spots. Once spotted though the Monolith will try to track you so if you derp around too much you may run into a rather large crowd of pissed off fanatics

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 12:06 on May 24, 2018

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

OregonDonor posted:

Have any mods ever managed to "fix" the stealth system in any of the games? Is the stealth system even fixable? I've always wanted to play a more genuine stealth character but I've never quite found a way to make it work.
I think it's intended to be comprehensible, but not predictable or exploitable.

Alternately, it's just the buggiest part of stalker. And that's saying something.

Stealth is actually semi-predictable in tightly controlled circumstances with few enemies around. For example, apparently you can stealth the arena with a knife in a single take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHBw9luUb8

But even stealing the documents from Agraprom at night (which is actually intended as a stealth mission) will take a few tries.

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

Xander77 posted:

I think it's intended to be comprehensible, but not predictable or exploitable.

Alternately, it's just the buggiest part of stalker. And that's saying something.

Stealth is actually semi-predictable in tightly controlled circumstances with few enemies around. For example, apparently you can stealth the arena with a knife in a single take:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KeHBw9luUb8

But even stealing the documents from Agraprom at night (which is actually intended as a stealth mission) will take a few tries.

Stealthing in to agroprom is easy enough, but doesn't the alarm go off once you grab the documents? I recall always having to shoot my way out of agroprom. Like that's frustrating as hell.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Killswitch posted:

Stealthing in to agroprom is easy enough, but doesn't the alarm go off once you grab the documents? I recall always having to shoot my way out of agroprom. Like that's frustrating as hell.
Nope

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I still remember Lurk 1.04 or something, the one before they ruined lurk being the best SoC experience I had, including having legit stealth. Do my memories just deceive me?

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Killswitch posted:

Get to the roof and knife the speaker
Or kill all the soldiers without alerting them. I only managed this once with a modded game where I sniped them all from the hill out back because each one would come to the pile of corpses one at a time to loot them. Took just over an hour too

you don't need to shoot your way out either. Just head up to the roof after taking the poo poo and climb down the ladder in back, then bolt through the broken fence and make your way across the back hills. You'll have to deal with some boars, but it's easier than duking it out with all the sentries on the road. Plus you'll likely have the stash location in your PDA for the safe under the power wire tower out that way anyways so you can hit that along the way and if you have enough anti rads and medkits try and grab those artefacts hanging around by the radiated locked gate too

playstyle I do;
Take out the bandits in the underground, get Sterlok's stash, if it's after midnight work around and up the stairway to that empty hall with the moving electro, sometimes artefacts spawn in there. By that time the dude with the storming Abakan will pop up if the game decides to place him there so you can grab that too and leave the same way you entered. Make your way around the western side of the military complex and snipe the tower in the SW corner, then along the south wall to the hole. Slip behind that to the back of the main building. with some effort you can get through the open window in back, make your way to the roof and knife the speaker. Drop down a level and snipe the guys there. Grab the case, back to the roof, down the ladder in back and out the hole in the fence/wall. you won't gain the "quest points" for not pushing through the underground, but who cares and you won't pop up in the middle of pissed off army guy central either.

SocketWrench fucked around with this message at 20:04 on May 25, 2018

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

SocketWrench posted:

Haha gently caress me, it's so obvious now :downs:

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Killswitch posted:

Haha gently caress me, it's so obvious now :downs:

Don't worry, I had countless run throughs before I just got tired of that thing and shot at it one time to find it was a damageable thing

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I've been getting a ton of stutter in CoP lately, so I went to grab that mediafire lua file, but it's been set to private. Are there any other mirrors of it, or better replacements?

Edit: Also, if I put Misery, AtmosFEAR, and that lua file together, it won't break anything will it? Okay, I gave Misery a try and I'm not digging it that much. Plus it has even worse stutter somehow?

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 16:48 on May 26, 2018

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

SocketWrench posted:

This. I do all the same stuff except for going through the underground after getting the special Abakan and coming up inside the complex. I always do this after midnight so most guards are sleeping and to get the stamina artifacts in the underground. The main thing for stealth in this route is to avoid noise - never switch weapons until you get to the roof and don't touch any bushes. You can safely switch to knife and back on the roof.

For stealth in the complex, I wait between the two circular buildings till the two guards pass by on their way to the gate, then go towards the building and wait till one more guy exits, go up to the roof and knife the speaker, back down and kill the three on the 3rd floor, check their weapons for the first scope in the game if the Lt was up there, up to the roof and down the ladder etc.

My path after is exactly as you describe, though I usual take out that pseudog over the hill before getting to the boars.

fairlight
May 18, 2007

Man, STALKER stealth is so weird. It’s like, technically viable, but so finicky that hardly anyone even knows how to go about properly doing it. It kinda seems like it’s only useful in the more tightly scripted sections when enemy placement and patrol routes are fixed, like agroprom.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

While I can appreciate some things like bushes rustling and weapon switching making noise, I find it too punishing in its current implementation. Both of those things for example should make noise, but relatively little and it should only alert people very close to you- and even then it should put them into a "I should check out what that rustling" state was instead of the whole camp instantly knowing you're there. I'm fine with stealth in STALKER being harder than most games that have a mechanic like this, but it's just not worth it the way it's implemented by default.

Incidentally this is one of those things that Escape from Tarkov actually improves upon for STALKER, and would feel good in a STALKER game. Everything in EFT makes noise, even standing in one spot and turning makes your clothing make foley sounds. But if you do it slowly, it makes way less noise, and that's true for everything, including walking, running, crawling, turning, changing your stance, etc. Even better, there's a pretty sensible control scheme that gives you really granular control over how fast you're moving with the scroll wheel instead of just giving you a button to hold and crawl. I found myself missing this last time I STALKEd, even if EFT feels empty in many ways by comparison.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

aniviron posted:

While I can appreciate some things like bushes rustling and weapon switching making noise, I find it too punishing in its current implementation. Both of those things for example should make noise, but relatively little and it should only alert people very close to you-

What, you don't like the sound equivalent of switching out your rifles by banging a hammer against them or rustling bushes by ripping them up and slapping them against the nearest tree/wall?

Was playing with one of my DP-5s and got the desire to fire up CoP since it'd been a while. I know they're just NPCs, but it still feels bad when you see that squad of green dots making their way towards a safe spot during an emission and then all the dots disappear

quote:

Incidentally this is one of those things that Escape from Tarkov actually improves upon for STALKER, and would feel good in a STALKER game. Everything in EFT makes noise, even standing in one spot and turning makes your clothing make foley sounds. But if you do it slowly, it makes way less noise, and that's true for everything, including walking, running, crawling, turning, changing your stance, etc. Even better, there's a pretty sensible control scheme that gives you really granular control over how fast you're moving with the scroll wheel instead of just giving you a button to hold and crawl. I found myself missing this last time I STALKEd, even if EFT feels empty in many ways by comparison.

To be fair you are comparing a recent game to one more than 10 years old. Maybe Stalker2 will fix this, who knows

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Agreed that sound is too punitive in STALKER, but at the same time I'm quite happy stealth in this game is not like in, say, FC3 where you can take out entire bases that way. Stealth here is more of a prelude to battle than a reason to bypass it, which is a good difference from the stealth mechanics that came to dominate later.

You can use stealth to get to a good starting position and get a couple of cheap shots in but the rest are going to come for you. It still has line of sight and sound mechanics, so enemies do lose you if you switch positions in cover and don't make a sound.

Of course, to use any stealth at all in this game you have to be told since for eg the weapon switch/unholster sound is unintuitive in the extreme and every other game teaches you that bushes are safety and safer the deeper you wiggle into them.

Dead Air has modified stealth mechanics. See the article for some details. He's hacked the engine itself, so this isn't just tweaked values. On the whole, the changes are extensive.

Edit: Tarkov looks very cool mechanically with its focus on using everyday and therefore somewhat intuitive mechanics and I hope other games push in similar directions. I haven't played it but seeing length of barrel affect how close to a wall you can be while using it is so much better than an abstract handling statistic on a weapon.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 28, 2018

rocket_man38
Jan 23, 2006

My life is a barrel o' fun!!
Finally getting around to playing both SoC and CoP. Started both several times over the past 6 years or so. I installed the "complete" mod for both. I am enjoying CoP more though.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

SocketWrench posted:

To be fair you are comparing a recent game to one more than 10 years old. Maybe Stalker2 will fix this, who knows

Yeah, don't mean to rag on STALKER, it is what it is. I just like the direction Tarkov took it. Because it makes sense that crashing through bushes like a rhino or charging your AK could be really loud if you're not thinking about it, but it could also be done almost silently if you were a patient hunter. It feels very natural from a game that is trying very hard to be STALKER, and so I'd like to see a real STALKER try it. Also trying not to get my hopes up about STALKER 2 until we know a lot more, though.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

rocket_man38 posted:

Finally getting around to playing both SoC and CoP. Started both several times over the past 6 years or so. I installed the "complete" mod for both. I am enjoying CoP more though.

CoP, i feel, is a shitload easier. Sure you have the upgrade deals and repair issues because a couple mags and your gun starts misfiring every other round, and some of the mutants feel a lot stronger than SoC, but yeah, you're not at war with the bandits or opposing factions constantly and mutants are far more rare.
I wish there was a mod that would combine the Svarog's/Veles artifact lists with the Bear detector....I just prefer the Bear more, it's more fun

E-Tank
Aug 4, 2011
Looked through the OP and couldn't find the answer: I've managed to get CoP to run, but it doesn't accept my mouse inputs. At all. I've googled it and have found no issues like it nor any fixes. Anyone have any ideas?

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
LOL @ all these noobs not using a vintorez and sniping their way through pripyat/cnpp/c-conc. loot ammo from monolith, silent snipe all day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Killswitch
Feb 25, 2009

MadBimber posted:

LOL @ all these noobs not using a vintorez and sniping their way through pripyat/cnpp/c-conc. loot ammo from monolith, silent snipe all day

I'm a personal fan of going in guns blazing with the Tunder and underbarrel grenade launcher and sprinting from cover points.