Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Scratch that where's Dead Souls????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Sakurazuka posted:

Scratch that where's Dead Souls????

I mean Dead Souls did get an English release

I just want my samurai spinoffs. Let me play the SwordGun murder mystery whodunnit

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It should be noted that this does not mean Kiwami, just higher res and frame rate. I am ok with that.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

They could literally be the exact same res and frame rate for me if they just fixed the load times. Playing 3 now on the PS3 is excruciating after experiencing 0

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah I think this is what everyone wanted, a quick port and remaster. Hoping it's a bundle of all 3 with the option to buy them for $20 each digitally.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

This. This is the nerdiest poo poo of all. Star Wars Kids meets Guitar Hero Party Douche.

:allears: Wow do tell us more about your weird projections and insecurities from college ten years ago.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Wasn't H1Z1 meant to be a zombie game or something.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

poptart_fairy posted:

Wasn't H1Z1 meant to be a zombie game or something.

Yeah it used to be a zombie game but then they made it into a battle royale game some years back.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Real hurthling! posted:

End of life cycle is when sales growth plateaus.

Yeah and hasn't this already been obvious for a while? Like, Sony's own sales figures for PS4 consoles have shown this, let alone an executive saying something to investors.

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I'm personally at the point that hearing a game is adding a battle royale mode makes me less interested in it.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Manatee Cannon posted:

idk if anyone mentioned it, but yakuza 3-5 are getting ps4 remasters. I'm excited to try the whole series out

https://gematsu.com/2018/05/yakuza-3-4-and-5-remasters-announced-for-ps4

hahahaha, and not even one full week after justing buying yakuza 3 used for way more than i was comfortable with. good god i'm dumb, i should have just waited until kiwami 2 had hit. like i legit freaked what with 3 being disc only and thought if i dont buy it now at 40 quid even if its used, i'll never get to play it with the prices shooting up. fml. was planning on buying 4 digitally along with 5 since 4 is getting the same rare price shooting up bullshit too.

oh well, now i have to decide if i should wait after kiwami 2 for the remasters or just blast through all of them. :negative:

i should point out I've not actually played any of them other than the first 5 minutes of the first game on the ps2. i'm going by hype for 0 and from what i saw of the game on youtube/music (kuze!) so i at least know its my kinda jam but lol at my terrible decision making process. 0 and kiwami just turned up today so gonna be starting that soon.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
speaking of, is there any kinda save game transfer between 0 and kiwami? i ask because my 0 is my pal region and kiwami steelbook edition is usa region i'm guessing by the big M rating and i dont think save imports will work between different regions but hey maybe they everything is true region free on ps4.

Vikar Jerome fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 22, 2018

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
At most Yakuza games will see if there’s a save for another Yakuza game (and I think that’s just 6).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If the remaining Yakuza games are leaving the PS3 that only leaves one exclusive SRW game I still have there to justify keeping it around. Oh and Demon's Souls I guess, but that's on PS Now also.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

All the PS3 games do it also, but its not a big deal, just a bonus item.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah all of the save game bonuses are like an extra equipment item or two that are a little helpful in the earliest parts of the game but they're nothing really important or amazing.

I'm so super hype for folks everywhere will be able to access 3/4/5 easily now (I'd be stunned if these didn't make it to the US). Yakuza 5 especially I think will be positively reevaluated in some ways - that game at 60FPS isn't going to play significantly differently from 0 and the combat already has the beginnings of what's going on in 6 in it. It's a great game even if the story is the most disjointed and unfocused.

I'm excited to see what they do with Kamurocho in Shin Yakuza too since the upper part of the map wasn't finished for 6. I have to admit I didn't really miss it, like outside of a couple of small story bits and sub stories nothing ever really goes down in the hotel district in most of the games anyway. So it will be cool to see whatever they came up with for it and the new building/park.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I did miss the underground mall. It’s a small area but it’s real cool. I don’t know if it was in 5, but it did at least make sense that it wasn’t in zero.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

How much side stuff is in Yakuza 1-5 compared to 0?

Because I'm enjoying 0 enough to play the rest of them but my need to do everything is a huge hindrance to actually completing games and I'm a bit wary of committing so much time to the series with how many other games I also want to play.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I did miss the underground mall. It’s a small area but it’s real cool. I don’t know if it was in 5, but it did at least make sense that it wasn’t in zero.

I actually was surprised that wasn't in 6. Plus the underground parking lot. I hope that stuff comes back because the way Yakuza 6's engine takes advantage of vertical space to make walking around and everything feel more realistically dense for an urban area like it is one of the best things about it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

Because I'm enjoying 0 enough to play the rest of them but my need to do everything is a huge hindrance to actually completing games and I'm a bit wary of committing so much time to the series with how many other games I also want to play.
Progressively more and more. Yakuza 1 doesn't have a whole lot going on comparatively, but by the time they hit 3/4/5 its just as much.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

5 has the most stuff of all kinds of any of the games. It's the super ridiculous grand finale on the PS3.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

IcePhoenix posted:

I definitely beat 4 in a lot less time than 0. 50-60 hours on that, maybe? 0 has stuff like real estate where waiting is built in, too. 0 also has stuff like the bottomless stomach to make compulsively checking off restaurants a lot easier, though. 6 did it best, it tightened up the amount of content and let’s you plat it with way less than 100 percent.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

0 has the most of any of Yakuza game except for 5 so you have nothing to worry about. 4 is where they first started putting in a lot more whacky side stories.

One thing that can be a little frustrating with 5 is that some of its mini-games are part of the story, so you HAVE to play them a bit to progress which can be a pain if there's a particular game you hate.

But something cool about 1-5 is that there aren't as many reused mini-games. Like 2 has a side scrolling 3D shooter called Boxcelios. 4 has ping pong, 5 has Taiko Drum Master in the arcades, etc. So there's a great variety of stuff across them.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Manatee Cannon posted:

vr this gen is proof of concept that it can work. still gotta work on that motion sickness problem if they want it to really take off tho

Yeah. I definitely look current VR as a proof of concept. It's fantastic but it's unrefined, expensive and doesn't have enough killer apps (still totally worth owning to me though). I'm not surprised that a lot of people still don't want to pull the trigger but people that act like VR in general was some sort of failed experiment sound like Luddites. It's 100% going to be a huge thing. But the headsets need to be better and it needs to be affordable.

I think the motion sickness thing is overblown though. People who don't play a lot of games are also prone to motion sickness in 2D games. It's something people just have to truck through for a number of hours before their bodies get comfortable with it. Basically motion sickness is probably going to happen and you have to be willing to get past it. Although devs have come a ways with comfort options at this point.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
Man I wish I'd spent more time with Yakuza 0. I mainlined it in about 25 hours and could have easily doubled that if i didn't treat every game I've played in the last 10 years like some hot potato I'm desperate to get rid of.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah. I definitely look current VR as a proof of concept. It's fantastic but it's unrefined, expensive and doesn't have enough killer apps (still totally worth owning to me though). I'm not surprised that a lot of people still don't want to pull the trigger but people that act like VR in general was some sort of failed experiment sound like Luddites. It's 100% going to be a huge thing. But the headsets need to be better and it needs to be affordable.

I think the motion sickness thing is overblown though. People who don't play a lot of games are also prone to motion sickness in 2D games. It's something people just have to truck through for a number of hours before their bodies get comfortable with it. Basically motion sickness is probably going to happen and you have to be willing to get past it. Although devs have come a ways with comfort options at this point.

I’ve heard vehicle stuff works better because your brain is already trained to see things moving without telling you to move in that context. I’m sure in a few years it’ll be something that seems obvious in retrospect, like getting rid of head bob in FPSs.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Luckily for you VR peeps, Gungrave VR just got announced for western release

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

thanks for all the replies, friends

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

IcePhoenix posted:

thanks for all the replies, friends

your welcome

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

veni veni veni posted:

I can basically confirm that it's something you get used to. It's a bit gradual and it helps if you start playing VR stuff that is comfortable and work your way up to things that are more intense, but you get to a point where it seems insane that you'd feel even a bit disorientated. Then I got MHW and mainlined that for like 3 months, hopped back into VR after that and discovered I had to build up my tolerance again. It's like getting your sea-legs basically.

Also PSVR has sold 2 million units, which I think still outpaces Vive + Oculus by a bit, so there's around 4 million VR users, probably a decent bit more since the last time I looked into this was around the holidays. So about 2.5% of PS4 owners have VR. Somehow these numbers feel both low and high to me.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Thanks to everyone who schlobbed on that knob. Now it's just a matter of time until more Kiryu.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Did the investor meeting say anything about how PS Now is a real lovely service?

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

CrRoMa posted:

VR right now is like holidaying in a foreign country. Its probably a great experience but its very expensive and I've barely seen the country i live in.

I'm not sure who brexit is in this metaphor.

Brexit would be smashing your PS4 up because you were fed up of all those VR games stealing the jobs of your regular games.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Quality is of no concern for investors unless a lack of it can be linked to a falling bottom line.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

gently caress yeah steady stream of Yakuza every 6 months.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

CrRoMa posted:

Man I wish I'd spent more time with Yakuza 0. I mainlined it in about 25 hours and could have easily doubled that if i didn't treat every game I've played in the last 10 years like some hot potato I'm desperate to get rid of.

Do you still have it? You could play the Premium Adventure mode now that you beat it (all the mini-games/side stories/etc. are open but the main plot doesn't exist).

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Neo Rasa posted:

Do you still have it? You could play the Premium Adventure mode now that you beat it (all the mini-games/side stories/etc. are open but the main plot doesn't exist).

I do and that sounds like a good idea!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Yakuza is the game where your girlfriend and daughter are kidnapped and you run the other way to play sexy games against kids and darts for 2 weeks or maybe chill pocket racer fighter.

If you mainline it you hosed up. But luckily, that doesn't matter, because the game wants you to go bowling. So go bowling.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Brexit is Microsoft requesting that everyone now join forces with them in making things for the players like shared servers after acting like they were number one for so long.

That is my country to a tee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Personally I main lined 0 and Kiwami and still had a blast. I respect the amount of side content, but I am not an open world fan, so I blitz through to get to the Visceral Narrative.