Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
Big Pledges Big Life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

no_recall posted:

I wonder what keeps us together. We're evil goonies after all.
I believe we're a hivemind.

Also I forgot Bloodstained was even a thing. Is it looking to be good?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Iga's to Castlevania as CR's to Wing Commander. I guess?

He came to KS asking for money to make another Castlevania, threw money at him for this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLFUdXGV9U

and getting this for free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAr7PkPbI6s

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I'm the development that's so transparent and open that NDA's are required to make sure nobody talks about technology so advanced and a game so cool that if word got out it would increase my funding by leaps and bounds and restore backer confidence.

:same:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

DapperDon posted:

This and the tears of the faithful are what keeps me coming back. Well that and Galarox art and when Gorf is typing or the Agent is leaking or the Titanic is laying down sick judo takedowns or Beet running home from school with poop all over his hands from Reddit...

By the way...

Where the gently caress is Jobbo Fett been?

In your thoughts and prayers, friend :unsmith:

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.

no_recall posted:

Iga's to Castlevania as CR's to Wing Commander. I guess?

He came to KS asking for money to make another Castlevania, threw money at him for this..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WaLFUdXGV9U

and getting this for free.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAr7PkPbI6s

That's being disingenuous, the 8 bit game is a backer reward. The real game is actually shaping up fairly well.

Nebiros
Apr 25, 2013

The scarf is nice.

motoh posted:

That's being disingenuous, the 8 bit game is a backer reward. The real game is actually shaping up fairly well.

The demo put out after MM9 was poo poo out played like Castlevania, which is what I paid for. I'm looking forward to it. At least it's not pulling Heart Forth Alicia.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
The reason that they are not disclosing the discussion at the dinner with Crobbear, is that "Star Citizen Ask Me Anything Dinner" initials spell SCAM AD

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
The NDA is because they totally sold worthless shares to whales for way, way more than they should have. CIG doesn't want the backers to know because then they'll have to admit that goons totally called it.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i mean, i cant fault the guy for not wanting to buy a game through the windows store. probably one of the better gaming decisions hes made recently.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jason Sextro posted:

I take some exception with this, just because I think the gaming rags have so little integrity they will never actually approach it from that angle. Once it becomes clear what's going on, they'll start to act like they knew it all along. "How did we not see this coming?" would actually be an improvement on what's to come, imo.

Contingency posted:

The really ridiculous stuff will contribute to the "it was obvious" hindsight take.

I don't even know anymore! That was my cynical take on what would happen in 2016, but now... even that level of bald-faced retcon isn't plausible. I think every game journalist will be feeling that they can be accused of complicity.

So my current prediction is even more depressing: they're gonna go with the "game development is hard" angle. Close their eyes to the obvious level of scam that has happened, pretend that Star Citizen was a real game that could have been made, and that Chris Roberts was just too ambitious. Ignore all the evidence that these shitheads have been throwing millions of dollars and hundreds of people at ridiculous make-work that was never going to be a finished product, just so they could keep putting out TV shows to sell $700 jpegs and land claims. Oh well, $186 million gone, nobody's fault really.

The only easy out will be if the lawsuit, or something else, totally explodes CIG such that Chris can become a scapegoat. If they can point the finger of accusation at Crobbler and say "he defrauded gamers and he defrauded us too".

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Remember the Save Wing Commander Academy campaign? I'm betting Ben hopes you don't!

https://www.gofundme.com/savewca

:laffo:

I wonder if Ben ever asked Croberto for money in order to preserve this legacy of forgettable cartoons?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Capital Ship Navigation & Death of a Spaceman

Two especially thorny topics... let’s see how they handled them.

Its pretty obvious how half-baked these designs are. He says you'd care about permadeath because you become attached to your character's appearance, and then immediately contradicts himself by saying you can just make another character that looks the same.

Then when they get into the details of respawning its like "yeah we haven't gotten to that part yet..."

FailureToReport
Nov 25, 2017

Warlord in training
I was told by Chris Almighty that 3.1 was to be the coming of good frames. I must have the old build still, for the frames have not yet cometh.

But on a fun note, I was able to jump out of my ship in atmosphere, spend 15 minutes falling to the planets surface, and my spaceman landed on his two feet like he jumped off a small ledge and then just stood there like "Yeah....I did that."

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

FailureToReport posted:

I was told by Chris Almighty that 3.1 was to be the coming of good frames. I must have the old build still, for the frames have not yet cometh.

But on a fun note, I was able to jump out of my ship in atmosphere, spend 15 minutes falling to the planets surface, and my spaceman landed on his two feet like he jumped off a small ledge and then just stood there like "Yeah....I did that."

you heard wrong, fps is fixed in 3.2

Nyast
Nov 14, 2017

BLAZING AT THE
SPEED OF LIGHT

The Titanic posted:

Dibs on /regret_filled_starcitizen_refunders_buying_back_in

I think there's a handful of goons who will help me make it the best place in the 'net.

I was thinking of /answer_the_call myself, but I don't know which year I should be putting in.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Nyast posted:

I was thinking of /answer_the_call myself, but I don't know which year I should be putting in.

203X

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

The Titanic posted:

They're going for the sandworm in space thing. I mean it worked for Star Citizen, right?

Plus it is victory to defeat it!

I love these things with fruity pictures and what looks like a Google translated pitch page.

Except this worm actually exists and is fun to fight. :colbert:

Even if that dickbag keeps eating my ship because i refuse to lose at space chicken.

Frank_Leroux
Mar 24, 2018

G0RF posted:

YOUTUBE: Calling All Devs - Capital Ship Navigation & Death of a Spaceman

Two especially thorny topics... let’s see how they handled them.

Did anybody else catch the little exchange starting at 8:44 between Disco and Todd? It was at the end of Todd's blather about "Death of a Spaceman", and Disco mentioned that Chris had given the same answer at the concierge dinner...to Todd's obvious relief. Disco then went on to congratulate Todd for being 'still on track' with his answer.

:thunk:

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

Today's lesson in Star Citizen Stupidity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmykrAkQb68&t=209s

What?

WHAT?!

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

IcarusUpHigh posted:

What?

WHAT?!
I guess he's saying that Driveclub uses a 2d particle system that looks realistic with minimum performance hit (?) and a 3d particle system wouldn't improve things significantly.

They are right though. What Star Citizen needs desperately is another feature to creep in. Otherwise it just becomes stale.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

Even if i sort of know the answer, i feel like i need to voice the question again.

How in the hell do you mismanage a project _that_ badly ?

IcarusUpHigh
Dec 20, 2016

AbstractNapper posted:

I guess he's saying that Driveclub uses a 2d particle system that looks realistic with minimum performance hit (?) and a 3d particle system wouldn't improve things significantly.

They are right though. What Star Citizen needs desperately is another feature to creep in. Otherwise it just becomes stale.

Just think it's a particularly odd turn of phrase.

edit - And why do they always assume they can have some special part of another game and just plop it in to Star Citizen like it's no biggie

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

IcarusUpHigh posted:

Today's lesson in Star Citizen Stupidity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zmykrAkQb68&t=209s

What?

WHAT?!

Sounds like faking things to me and if there's one thing CIG will NOT do it fake things. Except a game that is.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Lol. Look at this feature that nearly no other sim dared to touch because it's wasting precious ressources in what is supposed to be an (arcady) sim, but give it to me in my space sim running at 15fps.

I actually want them to implement it, I want them to implement true, realtime soft body physics coupled with fluid dynamics, so your commando can poo poo on the cockpit of their space plane because he ate the tex mex from the NPC whose AI made him cook it wrong, and have the poo poo smear all over the cockpit 100% realistically, so you can get hot EVA mopping action to clean your space BMW windshield.

God I love this game.

Neltharak
Jun 7, 2013

tuo posted:

I actually want them to implement it, I want them to implement true, realtime soft body physics coupled with fluid dynamics, so your commando can poo poo on the cockpit of their space plane because he ate the PROCEDURALLY GENERATED tex mex from the NPC whose AI made him cook it wrong, and have the PROCEDURALLY GENERATEDpoo poo smear all over the cockpit 100% realistically, so you can get hot EVA mopping action to clean your space BMW windshield.

God I love this game.

Added fidelity

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7hSwuje98M

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
:lol: Black Ops 4 is going to release before Star Citizen.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

Kickstarter experiences are pretty amazing for tainting kickstarters even without Star Citizen.

Stuff is so commonly late or fails entirely or shits complete trash to your mailbox. I just got an update from a KS that was supposed to fulfill last september where they flat out admit they just ordered the wrong stuff and can not complete fulfillment for the majority of backers.

Oh hey Shenmue 3 delayed another year. Nice.

Can't slay there isn't truth here. Lots of Kickstarter horror stories out there. The worst probably aren't even video games.

I still believe that SC will have at least a generation or two who claim to "not be like Star Citizen".

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

I'm sorry if it brought back distressing memories.

If it's any consolation, they deserved to die anyway.

Tends to happen when people go down on me like it's the last thing they'll do. :colbert:

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

I remember watching those marketing commercials more than three years ago, and being annoyed by them, seeing through them, their single purpose being to mislead and impress those who were fool enough to believe they are getting the Best drat PC Game ever -- not even limited to Space Games or... lmbo... Space Sims.

It was my first complain about this project; why are they keep producing this stuff, almost exclusively, clearly putting in effort and spending resources, while also clearly these are never going to be in-game because look at what they are actually delivering and how less effort is going into that. And lol where have you been the last decades of PC Gaming and its marketing schticks?

I guess people have different delay times reaching that conclusion.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Klyith posted:

I don't even know anymore! That was my cynical take on what would happen in 2016, but now... even that level of bald-faced retcon isn't plausible. I think every game journalist will be feeling that they can be accused of complicity.

So my current prediction is even more depressing: they're gonna go with the "game development is hard" angle. Close their eyes to the obvious level of scam that has happened, pretend that Star Citizen was a real game that could have been made, and that Chris Roberts was just too ambitious. Ignore all the evidence that these shitheads have been throwing millions of dollars and hundreds of people at ridiculous make-work that was never going to be a finished product, just so they could keep putting out TV shows to sell $700 jpegs and land claims. Oh well, $186 million gone, nobody's fault really.

The only easy out will be if the lawsuit, or something else, totally explodes CIG such that Chris can become a scapegoat. If they can point the finger of accusation at Crobbler and say "he defrauded gamers and he defrauded us too".

CR does have an amazing capacity as identifying his faults after the fact. No doubt he will claim to have been too ambitious, but maybe not immediately.

I firmly believe the original company line will be "technology wasn't able to keep up with us/the engine couldn't handle the next generation we were trying to usher in".

Really anybody can see that throwing high detail models at a real time engine with no consideration for functionality or even rudimentary gameplay is something that nobody has ever tried before. Normal mapping was invented because people couldn't make the leap of saying "well why don't we just skip this step and throw the 2 million poly model in there???!!"

Thank heavens Chris was here to try to make a game using that, and astonishingly discovered it's not possible with today's technology.

Without him we also wouldn't have things like "jank filled arena shooter in space" or hand crafted mission of "attempt to move box from A to B, with 87% failure rate due to jank and bad programming."

If only technology was there to meet him, we'd all have the game of dreams. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

BeigeJacket posted:

:laffo:

I wonder if Ben ever asked Croberto for money in order to preserve this legacy of forgettable cartoons?

Maybe, but I think his real motivation was to undermine Star Citizen in Chris' face to prove to him the Wing Commander franchise was still really popular and he should definitely get the rights to it and convert everything to be a new Wing Commander.

I bet 90% of the meetings involved him talking about how "everything would be better if it were Wing Commander" and how much more popular it would be. CR probably got tired of hearing this dumb poo poo. Not even he cares about the old, dead franchise. Except of course when he did because he needed their money.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I call them steamies.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

The Titanic posted:

Maybe, but I think his real motivation was to undermine Star Citizen in Chris' face to prove to him the Wing Commander franchise was still really popular and he should definitely get the rights to it and convert everything to be a new Wing Commander.

I bet 90% of the meetings involved him talking about how "everything would be better if it were Wing Commander" and how much more popular it would be. CR probably got tired of hearing this dumb poo poo. Not even he cares about the old, dead franchise. Except of course when he did because he needed their money.

If they shipped Ben off to live on a farm (Maryland?) does that mean his wife is still working for CIG in LA or is she also gone?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ben Lesnick, Leaver

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

Colostomy Bag posted:

Ben Lesnick, Leaver

excellent

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
Star Citizer: Just loving How?

---

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Felt bad after I posted that I realized I archered it from another poster. :negative: