Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

veni veni veni posted:

I think you're missing the point, although he wasn't doing the best job of articulating it. He's not saying that his Mario/Dark Souls/celeste skills should transfer over to GMGOW. He's saying that he's not adverse to or inexperienced with challenging games, but GMGOW is hard in a way that sucks and isn't fun. Which I think most people including yourself seem to agree with.

I played it for a bit and it really feels like a drat miserable slog. It's like everything I don't like in a hard mode.

Bayonetta 1's Infinite Climax mode just takes away your Witch Time. Top-end difficulties in most games just start pulling out any mechanic that favors the player, it sucks but I understand why they do it. It's for a tiny group of masochists. I think the fact that GMGoW doesn't grant you a trophy is as close as the devs are going to get to saying "most of you won't enjoy this"

Change the mode name to "give me a punch in the face"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Stern yet fair. I might run through the game again, is there a recommended path to get the best gear quickly? Like, do the story until here, run here when the water lowers, then run here when the water lowers again?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

shortspecialbus posted:

You're not limited. Whichever you pick, you can get the others with items that aren't limited. The requirements to craft them will change as soon as you leave and re-enter the store after you've crafted once

I never figured this out because Sindri's armor is way better :colbert:

Action Serious
Feb 2, 2009
Just killed a Valkyrie. It took a few dozen tries and wasn’t fun. Not looking forward to fighting more.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Action Serious posted:

Just killed a Valkyrie. It took a few dozen tries and wasn’t fun. Not looking forward to fighting more.
The first one is bad because you may be underleveled and also you don't know what to expect. After that it gets easier until you do the last one. Just remember to use everything at your disposal - combos, runic attacks, BOY, rage, etc.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Action Serious posted:

Get runic armor, use runic attacks, don't attack Valkyries with purple health bars.

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

I was too stubborn to know when to go and level up and I killed the last Valkyrie at level 7. If I didn't get to like a fifth of its health on the first try I wouldn't have kept going.

Goddamn..it was so easy to get dropped like a sack of poo poo

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The issue with GOW is that the lock on is hard as hell to shake off unlike Bloodborne for example and the game should just have a roll that doesn't disrupt combos, not a mostly useless sidestep.

Also the camera should have a zoomed out mode.

Basically it just needs a Bloodborne mode but they went really heavy on making the game designed around the axe throws.

This, this is exactly how I feel. It feels cramped, and sometimes you just keep pointing to an enemy while you want to strike the other one that is coming from the side.
I like it a lot though, but these two things are bloody annoying.

Oh, and the variable timing of the "tells", man that pisses me off. When a traveller does an overhead swing, and he turns a little further because you dodged a bit early. You can even see it stretching the animation.
Playing on hard BTW.

It looks awesome and I do have a lot of fun I must say, enemies do have a lot of health though.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I hate those disappearing witch enemies and those ground worm things. Stop running away cowards! Face my axe!

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The issue with GOW is that the lock on is hard as hell to shake off unlike Bloodborne for example and the game should just have a roll that doesn't disrupt combos, not a mostly useless sidestep.

Also the camera should have a zoomed out mode.

Basically it just needs a Bloodborne mode but they went really heavy on making the game designed around the axe throws.

I haven't messed around w/ much of the camera settings other than making it move faster, but I'm p sure you can disable all the soft lock on stuff in there. Idk what the targeting is like with all of that turned off, could be better?

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
So, what exactly is the difference between a dodge and a roll? Is a dodge just pressing X twice without the stick? I want to keep my combo's going.

Figured it out.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 22, 2018

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

shut up blegum posted:

I hate those disappearing witch enemies and those ground worm things. Stop running away cowards! Face my axe!

The witches are easy, just spam Square 4 times every few seconds to get off an Atreus arrow combo, and she'll pretty much always be visible and taking damage. Murder of Crows can also be really useful if you're fighting a particularly difficult one. I recommend light arrows when fighting them mostly solo because they stun pretty easily so you can get a bunch of R3s in usually, electric arrows if they're in a crowd to keep everyone else paralyzed.

Those ground worm things can go gently caress their own faces though. They're not really difficult, just time consuming.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

What the hell is the deal with the poison worms you can't hit without taking damage?

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

What should my plan of action be in post-game? I saw the little window pop up when I beat the game. I've already freed three dragons, which I think is all of them? I've been chipping away at Muspelheim. Niflheim seems way too hard. I ran around in there for a bit but got killed in like the second or third area. Am I correct in assuming I can farm some echoes from the first area and then just run back and give them to Sindri and do that for a little while until I can buy some beneficial gear? Or do I have to go all the way through in one shot? I'm not loving with Valkyries at all right now because I've run into a couple of them and gotten my rear end handed to me. I guess my question is what order should I do stuff in in order to be strong enough to do the next thing? Muspelheim>Niflheim>Valkyries?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

What the hell is the deal with the poison worms you can't hit without taking damage?

Throw your special magic throwing axe at them.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

They stun really easily

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JBP posted:

Throw your special magic throwing axe at them.

That doesn't really fly with level 7 and 8, they take way too long.

Edit: I guess they just take way too long to kill and that's that.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

That doesn't really fly with level 7 and 8, they take way too long.

Edit: I guess they just take way too long to kill and that's that.

Infinity Gauntlet

Also the light runic axe throw thing shits damage and is great for enemies like that

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

JBP posted:

Infinity Gauntlet

Also the light runic axe throw thing shits damage and is great for enemies like that

God the infinity gauntlet is great. The tracking on it will turn 90 degrees instantly for enemies that dodge.

shut up blegum
Dec 17, 2008

--->Plastic Lawn<---
I had to look up what that is. By the time you can get that, I'm pretty sure you don't have to deal with the worms anymore.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

In case this wasn't immediately obvious you can also huck the axe at the ground where the worms burrow and it will freeze them.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

shut up blegum posted:

I had to look up what that is. By the time you can get that, I'm pretty sure you don't have to deal with the worms anymore.

They pop up constantly in muscleheim and Niflheim. You can get it a fair bit before you finish the game if you do all the dwarf stuff.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Those misty little bastards. I was just running through the arenas before I got mist armor because of how much time they wasted.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I anyone else amazed how big this game is? I mean, drat they put a lot of work into this.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

It's deffo one of the most expensive-feeling games ever made, the level of care and detail put into every aspect of the experience is unreal.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

exquisite tea posted:

It's deffo one of the most expensive-feeling games ever made, the level of care and detail put into every aspect of the experience is unreal.

This is what amazes me and makes me play again. You can not find a single thing in the environment that hasn't been lovingly crafted.

And I mean it isn't about raw talent or whatever. These devs had time and money and they used it.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

I anyone else amazed how big this game is? I mean, drat they put a lot of work into this.

It's like Naughty Dog levels of detail and production but in a tens-of-hours long game with actually good gameplay. I can't believe I'm apparently only just over half way through.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

It's like Naughty Dog levels of detail and production but in a tens-of-hours long game with actually good gameplay. I can't believe I'm apparently only just over half way through.

Exactly, the combat is really good and you are playing a game instead of some interactive movie.

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

The game is a goddamn masterpiece that could use some minor combat tweaks and a slightly wider camera angle

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

The game is a goddamn masterpiece that could use some minor combat tweaks and a slightly wider camera angle

I will support this. The lock-on a little less sticky, because it sticks except when you want it to ( fast enemies like Valkyries, it loses tracking ).

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Yeah, I think people may have gotten the impression that I didn't absolutely love this game, but it is my favorite game in years. I just have little complaints like me preferring to fast travel from anywhere and that I would rather have a loading screen so I can press it and switch my laundry over.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

Yeah, I think people may have gotten the impression that I didn't absolutely love this game, but it is my favorite game in years. I just have little complaints like me preferring to fast travel from anywhere and that I would rather have a loading screen so I can press it and switch my laundry over.

The rest is so good that minor irritations really stand out. Did they add the rage boost from R3'ing enemies in a later patch? I read some complaints about R3'ing enemies not doing anything, but I definitely see my rage meter build up.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I like the tight camera because its allowed to add impact and drama with little zooms and zoom outs. Finishing a combo with a huge slam that draws out slightly then tightens owns.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I tend to like really intimate over-the-shoulder cameras for action games such as these, but other people will never be satisfied with the zoom until it's practically an isometric RPG. Very much a personal preference thing.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I just hate getting offscreened, and it took much longer than I'd like to get used to avoiding it based only on the threat circle and WATCH OUT FATHER

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The camera is fine most of the time but some of the Valkyrie fights are more frustrating than they should because of it.

black.lion
Apr 1, 2004

For if he like a madman lived,
At least he like a wise one died.

Gumbel2Gumbel posted:

ymmv but when i hop onto a tree branch to fast r
travel i stand still a bit (switch laundry etc) and then turn around and run the branch backwards, door usually pops right up

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
I don't mind the camera being over-the-shoulder, but a bit more space/zoomed out would be nice. Especially during hectic fights when one hit means you lose.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
Yeah, once you get to the tree for fast travel, you don’t actually have to move. You can just stand there and the door will always pop up a bit in front of wherever you are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

Renoistic posted:

The camera is fine most of the time but some of the Valkyrie fights are more frustrating than they should because of it.

I have beaten the entire main story and am on the last Valkyrie and literally just figured out the R3 lock-on. Don't know how I missed it or somehow managed to never even do it by accident until now but it does help on the Valkyries when they're the only enemy you need to target. You lose it when they fly off-screen for certain attacks but generally it helps a lot, especially when you're in rage mode and swinging around wildly, since it will drag you toward them.